3 HOURS AGO November's almost over... How's your #NaNoWriMo novel coming?

5 HOURS AGO What lip color should you *really* be wearing?

6 HOURS AGO Uh-oh, are you using the wrong type of brush? Find out here:

TSS: The Real Deal

That disease is TSS, or Toxic Shock Syndrome. TSS is a very rare bacterial disease, and it can be fatal. But you don’t need to...

MOD I asked this a about 30 mins ago but it never showed up. Can you get TSS from wearing pads to long or is it just tampons?? Also will you definatly know if you've gotten TSS or not? Thanks and I'm sorry if you had to answer this twice.

Hey girl!  I did answer this q already, but it took a while to get to it.  Sorry for the delay.  You can't get TSS from wearing pads.  If you do get it from TSS you will know it because you will start to feel the symptoms.  Check on your box of tampons or even online for details. best, Kristen

Kristen Y.

by queenashley37 on 10/4/2009 5:29:12 PM

MOD just wondering can you get TSS from wearing pads too long or just from tampons?

Hey girl!  You can't get TSS from wearing pads.  Since tampons are actually inside you, you're at risk.  Pads are outside, so you don't have to worry. Best, Kristen

Kristen Y.

by queenashley37 on 10/4/2009 4:59:58 PM

mod mod mod mod
when putting a tampon in, which hole do u put it in?

Hey girl, check out your tampon's instructions if you're unsure, but I think either place will work. The point of a tampon is to catch what's leaking. For more help, check out our Periods, Period section at

Alyssa B.

by ladybuglover28 on 9/24/2009 7:01:30 PM

MOD!! Whats the longest you can leave a tampon in??? Can i leave it in the whole school day???!?!?!?!?

Hey, tampons should be changed every 4 hours or so. I'd change it at least once at school, but really it depends how heavy it is that day.
katelin s.

by cngibby333 on 8/24/2009 11:03:50 PM

Hello, I was wondering how can I convince my Mom to let me wear tampons instead of pads. Because she has never worn a tampon before and she only lets me use it when I go swimming because she is scared I will get TSS. I understand her concerns but I prefer tampons over pads. So how can we both be happy ?
Thanks for the help!

Hi babe,

Toxic Shock Syndrome is extremely rare and is caused by leaving a tampon in for too long. Talk to your mom about her concerns and express to her why you want to switch from pads to tampons and just how cautious you will be using them. It will ease her stress and yours.

xoxo Keltie
Keltie E.

by cutieness105 on 8/15/2009 1:00:51 PM

MOD it says that a symptom is Diarheea[i cnt spell Tong] but i have irregular digestive system most of the times... alot of food regualrly gives me gas asnd diarheea... so should i be worried if i get it while using a tampon or should i watch for the other symptoms??? thx! <3 b3kah

Doesn't sound like you should worry, since diarheea is something your bod normal goes through. There may be other symptoms too. Things like headaches or cravings. But don't worry, you know your bod better than anyone else so you'll know when something is not right.

Lynae P.

by nicegurl on 8/7/2009 10:51:14 PM

okay the idea of using a tampon is totally discusting to me i would rather use a pad-that is when i actually start-is it true that you have to use a tapon when swimming?

by Twilight_fann_08 on 7/23/2009 9:30:50 PM

Umm I can't find the hole.......Where is it? Foot

Hey girl!  When you stand up straight, the hole is directly under you.  If you're trying to put in a tampon, it will be farther back then your front and closer than your butt. Best, Kristen
Kristen Y.

by veronica barakat on 7/23/2009 3:05:45 PM

if you swim what happens if you wear a pad? does it like get all soggy or sumthing? i am afraid of getting my period in the pool but i havent had mine yet and ive read that you shouldnt wear tampons b4 u get your period....please help!

Hey girl!  If you go swimming with a pad, it will soak up the pool water too.  If you're worried about getting your period, you could probably try wearing a really thin panti liner.   Have some tampons in your bag so that you can use them if you need to.  Best, Kristen
Kristen Y.

by kittybug101101 on 7/23/2009 2:33:41 PM

My friend once put in a tampon and forgot it was there. She realized about a month later when she got her next period that it was in there! And she was fine. So chances are, even if you leave a tampon in for a long time, you won't get TSS.

by supersingershannon on 7/22/2009 9:09:34 PM

Skip the ice cream and make a chunky monkey shake. Blend 1 banana, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and 1 cup of low-fat chocolate milk with 1 cup of ice for a protein-packed pick-me-up.

As long as my food's organic, it's healthier for me.

Dazzle this season with decorations from Duck Tape!