3 HOURS AGO 4 brilliant ways to wear a braid crown: http://t.co/Vh5xQu3jr0

6 HOURS AGO Which trendy print are you? http://t.co/ZNIaHQDOTy

7 HOURS AGO This sweetie shows that sometimes life really can be like the movies: http://t.co/5BF8G1XBso

COMMENTS

How to help a friend who may have an eating disorder

It can be scary when a friend develops an eating disorder. Here’s what you can do...

MOD!!
This year I was clinally depressed and started cutting. I've been through alot this year 1/2. I started Binge eating and I have'nt told my therapist yet. I'm really scared & I only wish I could stop, but it's honestly hard. I just need some advice right now.

Hi girl, Here are some hotlines and websites that may help.  http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx  Hopefully, you can find one where you can trust the person.  You should also tell your therapist- they aren't there to judge you, just to help you.  It can help to tell someone the truth and he or she will give you better advice than anyone else can.

Kate G.

by XoXo_CaSaNdRa_XoXo on 8/7/2013 3:03:08 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm going to my counsellor today, I planned to tell her about my anorexia and about me cutting myself. But I'm too scared. I've never told anyone about it before. What if she tells my parents?

Hey girl, I am so sorry that you are going through these things. I cannot emphasize enough how brave you are for going to get help from your counselor. Talk with him or her about the school's confidentiality policy to see what he or she may be required to tell your parents. However I urge you, no matter what, to talk to someone. These are very serious issues  and you shouldn't have to go through them alone. Here are some anonymoous resources for you to get help. good luck to you! I know you can do this Smile  http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx

Helen S.

by Sarah_12 on 11/24/2012 2:40:12 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I have anorexia and ive recently started cutting myslef. i scheduled an appointment with my counsellor tomorrow but I'm too nervous to tell her that I have an eating disorder. How do I tell her?

Hey girl,

I can only imagine how tough things are for you, and I'm really glad to hear that you're visiting a counselor, because it's really important that you speak with a trusted adult asap! I know it is a tough topic to bring up, but it's really important that you be completely honest with her so that she can help you! Everything you tell her will be 100% confidential, and she would never judge you because she is there to help. For additional resources, check out this post, which has links to toll-free, anonymous hotlines where you can talk to professionals for more help. http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx

Meghan D.

by Sarah_12 on 11/24/2012 12:37:54 AM

MODMODMOD
i think my friend has a disorder. she never eats at lunch even though her mom paid for the whole year. she dosnt eat breakfeast even though its free at school all i see her eat is a soda and a bag of chips. she ways 63 lbs tops and is almost 12. Im not sure of the signs though. so idk what to say to her. what do you think?

Hey ja3908, mhmm she may just like snacking better than eating full meals. I have a friend who will munch on chips and cookies rather than eat a plate of food. Keep watching her and see if she starts to say anything negative about her body. If she gets to that point I would start to get nervous. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by ja3908 on 10/21/2012 10:04:33 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I got my scoliosis brace about two months ago. I had to quit all of my active extra curricular activities that kept me at a comfortable and healthy weight. Ever since then iv'e had this sinking feeling i'm gonna gain weight and not be able to fit inside my brace. Iv'e taken a couple quizzes on some eating disorder sites and I think I may have a risk of becoming anorexic. What should I do?

Hey girl,

I would talk to your doctor about ways you can exercise with the brace. You might not be able to do what you did before, but they can teach you some new moves to keep you healthy! If you feel like you may have an eating disorder, though, it's really important that you speak with a trusted adult such as a parent, older family member, teacher, guidance counselor or doctor asap. You can also check out this post, which has resources on eating disorders. http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx

Meghan D.

by braveemily on 10/20/2012 10:13:02 PM

Hey Smile
Earlier this year I was depressed, but only told my bestie and she kinda helped. I still worry I'm gonna go back. She sealed with it too but she was younger, and she's fine. I never told anyone except he. I'm afraid I'm becoming a eating disorder as well now because I keep getting skinnier compaired to my older siblings and I check my weight constantly... I guess I just need some advice soo.. yup Smile thanks

by kpiehl on 8/3/2012 2:27:07 AM

I need advice ASAP. A close family friend just passed away of cancer last night. I didn't know her as well as the rest of my fam but I'm still beyond sad. Nobody I've known has ever died before (I know I'm super lucky about that)ot but this is all so new and so so sad to me. And now I'm worried someone in my family is going to die of cancer.
Plus, I know this shouldn't matter and I'm not trying to be selfish but I have to miss my last day of this camp I've been working at to go to the funeral tomorrow. I've made such amazing friends there and it means the world to me, a lot of those people I will never see again and didn't get to say goodbye to. Please. I need advice on how to cope and get through this. Thank you.

Hey girl, I'm very sorry about your loss.  It's always strange when someone passes away and people deal with grief differently.  It will take time, but eventually you will feel better.  You can also help support your family in this tough time, I'm sure they can use your help.  Anxieties about things like disease are normal, but you should try to live your life to the fullest and appreciate what you have now.  Its completely normal for you to be sad about missing camp, too.  Try to understand that going to the funeral is important and I'm sure your friends from camp will understand as well.  Best of luck, xxoo
Maggie P.

by maggie183 on 7/26/2012 1:52:15 PM

I have a friend who has *very* low self-esteem, even though my other friends and I compliment her all of the time, on things other than just her looks. However, she *still* sees the need to try and lose weight, even though she is the average weight for our age! I feel really uncomfortable whenever she comes over or we go out together, because whenever I order food and ask her if she'd like some, she replies with "No, I'm trying to lose weight" even if she actually likes the food that I get. I feel bad for her but at the same time I want to be able to eat stuff around her and not have to deal with this!

Hey girl, that is tough. Have you tried talking to her about it and telling her that she doesn't need to stress so much over her weight? Maybe you could suggest to her that she can still lose weight and eat what she wants if she's exercising regularly. Encourage her to eat more food, but to keep it healthy. And don't feel bad about eating in front of her - maybe if you set a good, healthy example, she'll follow it eventually.
Carrie R.

by cmfox99 on 7/16/2012 1:11:01 PM

Boys can have eating disorders too. What if you're friend had an eating disorder and it WAS a boy? Should you do the same thing or take a different approach?

by Happy_Bunnie on 7/9/2012 11:04:32 PM

MODMODMOD I don't think I have a eating disorder but I am not sure. I haven't really told my friends about it. I just am not as hungry as I used to be or I eat smaller portions. I have lost a few pounds in only a week. I am worried I might be developing an eating disorder. What should I do?

Hey girlie,

What is the reason behind WHY you aren't hungry anymore? Are you actively choosing not to eat more? Are you depriving yourself of food for some reason - punishment, to lose extreme amounts of weight, etc.? Or has your appetite just changed? If it's just your appetite and you're not having negative feelings about your body, it's not an eating disorder - that sounds like a metabolism issue, which you should chat with your parents about. Let them know what's going on and ask them to help you keep an eye on it - then make an appointment at your doctor if it doesn't improve over time and you keep losing weight. If you are having body image issues along with the trouble eating though, THAT could be an eating disorder. You need to talk to a trusted adult asap here as well - preferably your parents. Explain exactly what's going through your head, and admit that you need help getting back to normal. Either way, speak up! <3333
Lauren C.