11 HOURS AGO The truth about shaving your arm hair: http://t.co/ajzVkpuuub

14 HOURS AGO @theduckbrand challenges YOU to create & accessorize a prom outfit w/Duck Tape for a chance to #win: http://t.co/WXboQLPzjB #stuckatprom

15 HOURS AGO Oh snap! Is your mom snooping in your diary?! http://t.co/fh6lrvL2Lp

COMMENTS

How to help a friend who may have an eating disorder

It can be scary when a friend develops an eating disorder. Here’s what you can do...

MOD!!
This year I was clinally depressed and started cutting. I've been through alot this year 1/2. I started Binge eating and I have'nt told my therapist yet. I'm really scared & I only wish I could stop, but it's honestly hard. I just need some advice right now.

Hi girl, Here are some hotlines and websites that may help.  http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx  Hopefully, you can find one where you can trust the person.  You should also tell your therapist- they aren't there to judge you, just to help you.  It can help to tell someone the truth and he or she will give you better advice than anyone else can.

Kate G.

by XoXo_CaSaNdRa_XoXo on 8/7/2013 3:03:08 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm going to my counsellor today, I planned to tell her about my anorexia and about me cutting myself. But I'm too scared. I've never told anyone about it before. What if she tells my parents?

Hey girl, I am so sorry that you are going through these things. I cannot emphasize enough how brave you are for going to get help from your counselor. Talk with him or her about the school's confidentiality policy to see what he or she may be required to tell your parents. However I urge you, no matter what, to talk to someone. These are very serious issues  and you shouldn't have to go through them alone. Here are some anonymoous resources for you to get help. good luck to you! I know you can do this Smile  http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx

Helen S.

by Sarah_12 on 11/24/2012 2:40:12 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I have anorexia and ive recently started cutting myslef. i scheduled an appointment with my counsellor tomorrow but I'm too nervous to tell her that I have an eating disorder. How do I tell her?

Hey girl,

I can only imagine how tough things are for you, and I'm really glad to hear that you're visiting a counselor, because it's really important that you speak with a trusted adult asap! I know it is a tough topic to bring up, but it's really important that you be completely honest with her so that she can help you! Everything you tell her will be 100% confidential, and she would never judge you because she is there to help. For additional resources, check out this post, which has links to toll-free, anonymous hotlines where you can talk to professionals for more help. http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx

Meghan D.

by Sarah_12 on 11/24/2012 12:37:54 AM

MODMODMOD
i think my friend has a disorder. she never eats at lunch even though her mom paid for the whole year. she dosnt eat breakfeast even though its free at school all i see her eat is a soda and a bag of chips. she ways 63 lbs tops and is almost 12. Im not sure of the signs though. so idk what to say to her. what do you think?

Hey ja3908, mhmm she may just like snacking better than eating full meals. I have a friend who will munch on chips and cookies rather than eat a plate of food. Keep watching her and see if she starts to say anything negative about her body. If she gets to that point I would start to get nervous. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by ja3908 on 10/21/2012 10:04:33 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I got my scoliosis brace about two months ago. I had to quit all of my active extra curricular activities that kept me at a comfortable and healthy weight. Ever since then iv'e had this sinking feeling i'm gonna gain weight and not be able to fit inside my brace. Iv'e taken a couple quizzes on some eating disorder sites and I think I may have a risk of becoming anorexic. What should I do?

Hey girl,

I would talk to your doctor about ways you can exercise with the brace. You might not be able to do what you did before, but they can teach you some new moves to keep you healthy! If you feel like you may have an eating disorder, though, it's really important that you speak with a trusted adult such as a parent, older family member, teacher, guidance counselor or doctor asap. You can also check out this post, which has resources on eating disorders. http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx

Meghan D.

by braveemily on 10/20/2012 10:13:02 PM

Hey Smile
Earlier this year I was depressed, but only told my bestie and she kinda helped. I still worry I'm gonna go back. She sealed with it too but she was younger, and she's fine. I never told anyone except he. I'm afraid I'm becoming a eating disorder as well now because I keep getting skinnier compaired to my older siblings and I check my weight constantly... I guess I just need some advice soo.. yup Smile thanks

by kpiehl on 8/3/2012 2:27:07 AM

I need advice ASAP. A close family friend just passed away of cancer last night. I didn't know her as well as the rest of my fam but I'm still beyond sad. Nobody I've known has ever died before (I know I'm super lucky about that)ot but this is all so new and so so sad to me. And now I'm worried someone in my family is going to die of cancer.
Plus, I know this shouldn't matter and I'm not trying to be selfish but I have to miss my last day of this camp I've been working at to go to the funeral tomorrow. I've made such amazing friends there and it means the world to me, a lot of those people I will never see again and didn't get to say goodbye to. Please. I need advice on how to cope and get through this. Thank you.

Hey girl, I'm very sorry about your loss.  It's always strange when someone passes away and people deal with grief differently.  It will take time, but eventually you will feel better.  You can also help support your family in this tough time, I'm sure they can use your help.  Anxieties about things like disease are normal, but you should try to live your life to the fullest and appreciate what you have now.  Its completely normal for you to be sad about missing camp, too.  Try to understand that going to the funeral is important and I'm sure your friends from camp will understand as well.  Best of luck, xxoo
Maggie P.

by maggie183 on 7/26/2012 1:52:15 PM

I have a friend who has *very* low self-esteem, even though my other friends and I compliment her all of the time, on things other than just her looks. However, she *still* sees the need to try and lose weight, even though she is the average weight for our age! I feel really uncomfortable whenever she comes over or we go out together, because whenever I order food and ask her if she'd like some, she replies with "No, I'm trying to lose weight" even if she actually likes the food that I get. I feel bad for her but at the same time I want to be able to eat stuff around her and not have to deal with this!

Hey girl, that is tough. Have you tried talking to her about it and telling her that she doesn't need to stress so much over her weight? Maybe you could suggest to her that she can still lose weight and eat what she wants if she's exercising regularly. Encourage her to eat more food, but to keep it healthy. And don't feel bad about eating in front of her - maybe if you set a good, healthy example, she'll follow it eventually.
Carrie R.

by cmfox99 on 7/16/2012 1:11:01 PM

Boys can have eating disorders too. What if you're friend had an eating disorder and it WAS a boy? Should you do the same thing or take a different approach?

by Happy_Bunnie on 7/9/2012 11:04:32 PM

MODMODMOD I don't think I have a eating disorder but I am not sure. I haven't really told my friends about it. I just am not as hungry as I used to be or I eat smaller portions. I have lost a few pounds in only a week. I am worried I might be developing an eating disorder. What should I do?

Hey girlie,

What is the reason behind WHY you aren't hungry anymore? Are you actively choosing not to eat more? Are you depriving yourself of food for some reason - punishment, to lose extreme amounts of weight, etc.? Or has your appetite just changed? If it's just your appetite and you're not having negative feelings about your body, it's not an eating disorder - that sounds like a metabolism issue, which you should chat with your parents about. Let them know what's going on and ask them to help you keep an eye on it - then make an appointment at your doctor if it doesn't improve over time and you keep losing weight. If you are having body image issues along with the trouble eating though, THAT could be an eating disorder. You need to talk to a trusted adult asap here as well - preferably your parents. Explain exactly what's going through your head, and admit that you need help getting back to normal. Either way, speak up! <3333
Lauren C.

by peaceluvsmile on 4/26/2012 11:52:22 PM

I think I may be developing an eating disorder. At first I wanted to stay at a healthy weight and drop a couple of pounds, but now I'm getting obsessed with what I eat and how much I exercise. One of my friends are worried about me but I don't think anything is really going on yet. But, I want to stop if before something does happen. Help!

by minniemousegal14 on 4/11/2012 5:25:54 PM

Hey girls. I have a club called E.D.S, Eating Disorder Support. If you or someone one know is dealing with an eating disorder, please join my club, we'll get through it together!

*LOOKING FOR A VP, TREASURER, AND SECRETARY!*

Thank you girls! <3

by Dancinggirl1414 on 4/6/2012 12:18:51 AM

I'm in a cycle where I've been trying not to eat, and I'll lose weight, then I'll eat alot like I can't stop (not like excessively, but to me it feels like it) and gain back, then over and over. I was and am very depressed so then this started. I have suicidal thoughts. I wouldn't ever act on them, but they come often. I don't know if my disordered eating is something to be conserned about, but I don't know how to tell anyone! I don't think they'll understand. I'm very concerned about my looks and weight, and any food I eat I feel guilty about so I hit myself. Help?!

Hey girl! I really recommend you telling a parent or trusted adult about your eating problems and suicdal feelings. These are definitely something to be concerned about. Hopefully this article can help you a bit.

Amanda P.

by allamericansassylassy on 3/21/2012 11:11:35 AM

Im 15 and weigh 100 lbs and 5foot. I dont know whats wrong with me. I hate eating and try not to eat all day. It used to be eating healthier then it went to 500 calories and now I try to eat under 300 calories a day. I throw up some days cause I am over whelmed with how much I eat. It's been back and forth for 2 years and I feel like I can never escape this. I loose the weight and I get more motivated to get lower. My lowest was 85lbs. I really want to get back there but I know what I am doing to myself. Im depressed and I want help. Although i cant imagine life without it.

by Emilia123 on 3/18/2012 6:26:19 PM

mod mod mod
my friend just talekd to me and said that the guy she liked was talking to her friend and said that she was like 300 pounds and should use a tredmill and she told me shes thinking oof starving herself AGAIN....how do i help to to not because i know all its doing is hurting her and i told her not toFrownim worried for her

Hey girl,

It's so great that she has a caring friend to look out for her! That was SO rude of the guy... geez, why does she like him again? Ugh. Anyway, check out this article for several resources she can use to get help and support. I recommend the National Eating Disorders Association's hotline - she can call for free and talk through what she's feeling! <3
Lauren C.

by natbe99 on 3/8/2012 8:24:25 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
One of my close friends wears clothes she really shouldn't. She's obese and likes to wear really tight, and really revealing clothes. She makes everyone feel awkward and there are some people saying some really mean things about her. It's awkward to be around her when it looks like she's going to pop out of her clothes and her boobs are basically falling out of her shirt. One of my friends who graduated tried telling her, but she thought he was calling her a slut and now she doesn't talk to him anymore. How do I tell her? I know she'll get defensive and mad, and think I'm calling her a slut, then turn all my friends against me, saying I called her a slut. How do i deal with this? Frown help!!!!

Hey girlie,

Try not being too confrontational and saying straight out, "Your clothes are too tight. You should change." That's not the way to go about it! Instead, try going shopping with her over the weekend. Pick out a couple tops that are a little looser and great for her body shape, then hold them up and say, "Oh my gosh, you have to try this on! It'll look SO good on you!" You could even say something like, "I was reading an article the other day and they said anyone could get a more hourglass shape you should wear v-neck or draped tops, a cinching belt or thick waistband, and a loose flared skirt. We should try it!" Be subtle and hint that she should try different styles than she's used to wearing. Her fashion choices are, at the end of the day, her own personal choices to make. You can't force her to change her style or make her wear looser clothes. But you CAN show her how gorgeous she looks in slightly more modest cuts! Smile
Lauren C.

by zoey_27 on 3/3/2012 3:08:52 PM

********ATTTENTION ALL GIRLS*********
JOIN ANY OF MY CLUBS!!!!!! I AM A PERSON THAT EVERYBODY THINKS IS WEIRD. I HAVE NO FRIENDS AND WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SOME. PLEASE BE MY FRIEND BY JOINING ANY OF MY CLUBS I CREATED!!!!! love ya girlies show your support. YAYA

by YayaYuiki on 3/3/2012 12:38:31 PM

Great advice! Blunt, necessary,but nice!!

by svds on 3/2/2012 5:58:55 PM

Thats some good advice!
ATTENTION ALL BAKERS OR FOOD LOVERS!
Join my club Cupcakes 101 because i post weekly recipes on all desserts! No annoying links or dissapearing into thin air! Join today since YOU can also share YOUR own recipes too! Everybody is welcome to share recipes and just talk! Join today! Laughing

by purplenurple88 on 3/1/2012 8:53:28 PM

********ATTENTION********

Hey please check out my older bro's music on www.hulkshare.com/ShadyPack He's a REALLY talented rapper and I'm not saying that cuz he's my brother. Please check him out its really good!

by Princess Keziyah on 3/1/2012 7:56:05 PM

by Princess Keziyah on 3/1/2012 6:58:04 PM

MOD MOD MOD,Why Doesn't GL Ever Talk About Animal Abuse?It's A Import Issue & I Think Lots Of Girls Would Be Concerned About It.The Do Like Everything From Human To Fashion Abuse But They Never Mention These Poor Animals.

Hey girl,

Totally agree, this is a huge issue and one that is important to us! Thanks for your suggestion - and if it's important to you, make sure you get involved somewhere like an animal shelter. That way, you can make a difference and improve these conditions! <3
Lauren C.

by EddyKala on 3/1/2012 3:21:00 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!
So, I have a question. I am 10 years old, 5th grade, 4 ft 7 in, and about 85 pounds. Am I over weight? My doc says I'm healthy and everything. But I feel fat. Most of my friends are about 89 pounds, but they look skinnier than me! I don't know why! Am I fat or not? I also feel like I'm starting puberty... Like, my hips are wider, boobs bigger, and other stuff, could that have anything to do with my being overweight? AM I overweight?

Hey New_York_City, I don't think you're overweight. Your doctor said you were fine too so no worries. Everyones body shape is different. Someone could weight the same, but the way the fat is distrubted on their body is different. You're defintely fine, embrace those curves girl. Xoxo

Lynae P.

by New_York_City on 2/29/2012 7:52:56 PM

MOD*MOD*MOD
So I had a friend who used my closest friend and would manipulate her and everything. she apologized many times but she would just do the same thing over and over again and she would go through that kind of cycle with everyone. Once she is called out on something, she'll get better and be fine for a little bit but then it'll start all over. It's like she forgets. Well this one thing was big and I was giving advice to my close friend about the other friend and the other friend found out. So I called her out on EVERYTHING. About how she was a bad friend and that she was being selfish and not considering others. None of it was lies and just the brutal truth. Now she's fine, but I know it won't last. I feel bad though. I'm sick and tired of all the drama and without her, my life would have considerably less drama. The thing is, she considers me one of her best friends. I'm tired of the apologies, I'm tired of everything. What should I do? Any advice? Thanks!!!

Hey ♫RockOn64♫, I think you should end the friendship. So many people have brought her selfish ways to her attention and she just refuses to change. Maybe ending the friendship will motivate her to change herself. Even then you need to be completely postive, she has learned her lesson. You defintely don't need a friend like her girl. Hope this helps!  Xoxo

Lynae P.

by ♫RockOn64♫ on 2/29/2012 6:56:00 PM

Lynae P.-- thanks! Smile

by SuperSquirrel on 2/29/2012 6:55:25 PM

I wish my friends were comfortable with discussing depression with me, I know I have it even though no one believes me so I resorted to cutting in a way that no one really suspected. I wish they would just accept issues like this and I wish they would ask me to share things. Its hard when even my parents won't believe me.

by Aislinn120 on 2/29/2012 5:55:32 PM

I was watching a video on youtube about an 8-year-old anorexic. It is really sad that girls that young worry about their size... =(

Join my club, Ice skating Queens! Whether you skate, you love to watch, or just want to look into skating, come check it out! From Skating Stars to Skating Shoes, its all about skating! See ya soon! =D

by awesomegirl4everandalways on 2/29/2012 12:26:57 PM

MOD MOD MOD... what kind of tests do doctors run to see if you have an ovarian cyst? and what happens if you have one? i have an appointment tomorrow and i'm worried
thanks!

Hey SuperSquirrel, an ultrasound will probably be done. The doctor will just take a thin wand and move it in your body and pictures of your system will show on a screen. Through looking at the picture of you on the screen they will be able to tell if you have a cyst or not. If you do happen to have one, you can either take birth control pills or pain killers to treat it. If it's a little more serious, you may have to get surgery. No worries girly, I'm sure they'll be gentle and they'll explain everything to you. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by SuperSquirrel on 2/29/2012 12:18:10 PM

@jackieluvz
just like depression and all that other stuff you listed. eating disoders are serious too. a lot can happen if you dont eat, your bones can weaken, etc. and anorexia is a psycological problem and depression is a psycological problem too. and GL is doing a great job. i have seen them write about other stuff not just anorexia and eating disorders.

by j4zm09 on 2/28/2012 9:05:20 PM

Hi guys plz jion my clubs i hav only 2 rite know but ther is artistic lovers thats one and theirs is life worth it....yes

by emorocket12 on 2/28/2012 8:39:40 PM

plaese go to my clue: Boys being mean get back at they get fit.
i miss spelled the name of my clue soooo the name i was going for is: Boys being mean get back at them get fit.
Luv. Schoneboom<3

by schoneboom on 2/28/2012 8:21:31 PM

I have a friend with really hard life, and she cut herself ONCE. She says she wont do it again, and since it was a one time thing, i wont tell anyone, but i am worried. Anything I can do?

Keep an eye on her. Be there for her and give her support. Good luck! xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by madkitty99 on 2/28/2012 7:25:05 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!! Do I have a yeast infection? I will itch down there every once in a while but I also have really sore breasts and awful mood swings, I don't know what's up. I saw a post similar to this but she was a little different
Please help!

Well that kinda sounds like your period. So that may be the issue here. xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by physicschick on 2/28/2012 7:20:37 PM

Society needs to stop focusing on primarily eating disorders, and recognize the other mental illnesses and struggles teens go through. Depression, bipolar disorder, social anxiety, ect. are all equal to, and possibly worse, than eating disorders. Nobody takes note of these though. I think GL should write an article about one of the mental illnesses I just listed.

by jackieluvz on 2/28/2012 6:47:46 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
My best friend is changing schools either this monday or in april if I come with her. But the thing is, when I ask my Mom she disagreed and thought it wasn't reasonable since there would only be 3 monthes left of school. I tried asking 3 times, and she still says no. I want her to listen to how I feel before she objects, but she doesn't stop for me to say something. I'm really frustrated, and I want to go to the same school as my bff, because it's near my house and it would be more convenient for both my parents and me. And if my friend leaves, I'll have to be in this club at school by myself, and I don't think I can quit. Help???? Frown

Well I think you should wait out the last 3 months. At the start of the next year you can go to this new school and everything will be easier in general. Transferring in the middle of the school year can cause problems so I think your mom is looking at that and deciding it would be best just to finish out the year. xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by cloudyday on 2/28/2012 6:31:25 PM

***MOD MOD MOD***
My best friend admitted to me that she self harms. She says she's never cut, "well, actually, she did once but it was so small it was pathetic" (Those were her exact words). She made me promise not to tell anybody, but I told my closest friend (who is also a friend of hers) because I didn't know what to do. She also promised that she'd stop, but I don't think she has. In fact, I think she's started cutting, because she's always wearing these thick bracelets around her wrists, and whenever I ask her if I can see one, she says yes, hands me the bracelet, and sticks her hand in her jacket pocket so I can't see her wrist. I really don't know what to do. Help me, please!

Confront her about it. She needs your help. If she already told you about it once Im sure she will again so if you ask he whats going on and offer your help im sure she would love it. Just give her emotional support. Good luck! xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by sammac7 on 2/28/2012 4:57:48 PM

Number eight is especially important. I struggled with bulimia for about a year and a half. I'm an athlete and tried telling some of my closest friends/teammates. They seemed concerned at first, but never really told me they were here for me. I think that's the reason why I'm still struggling to deal with it emotionally. It would be nice to have your friends constantly checking in on you.

by laura123 on 2/28/2012 3:54:56 PM

Thank you for posting this article! It's National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, so it's especially important to pay attention to this growing issue.For all of those girls hating their bodies, PLEASE stop for the sake of your well-being. I know society and the media make us hate ourselves, but it is not worth it. Stop before you develop an eating disorder. If you want a suggestion for a positive resource, I find the website proud2bme.org very helpful for keeping up good body image and helping with eating disorder recovery.

by egf.lizzie on 2/28/2012 3:37:50 PM

*MOD*MOD*MOD*MOD*MOD
Should I play lacrosse or track? I'm a freshman in high school and I can't decide to do lax or track? I'm pretty fast and with track I feel like I could end up getting a leadership role or like even winning races and medals. With lacrosse I'm totally new and I don't know anything. I went to a few practices and Its fun but It's confusing so I don't see my self making varsity soon and there's no chance of me getting to be captain. I want to lax because I have friends doing it and it seems like it would be easy to carpool. In track I don't know anyone. In lacrosse there are cut uniforms and we do team bonding and team dinner. In fact there is a team sleepover Saturday. Track is also safer. and Lacrosse is expensive. What should I do????

I think you should base it on which sport you like more. Not what the clothing is or the friends in it. Choose the sport youll excel in and really enjoy. That way you dont regret your decision. Youll make tons of friends in track btw. so if I were you I would choose that. xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by ninadasiy on 2/28/2012 3:07:54 PM

Hey girlies!!!! Please comment on my profile if you have any questions about anything!!!! I give advice on evrything!!!! Girls nothing is tooo embarasing!!! I will answer back on your profile ASAP!!!! I promise i check back on girlslife alll the time!!!! LOVE YOU!!

by ally =) on 2/28/2012 2:30:42 PM

by Princess Keziyah on 2/28/2012 10:35:04 AM

MOD!
O I once caught my friend trying to do dieting, but I convinced her out of it! And guess what? She is only 70 pounds. No, I am not in 4th grade.

by New_York_City on 2/28/2012 10:17:59 AM

plaese go to my clue: Boys being mean get back at they get fit.
Luv. Schoneboom<3

by schoneboom on 2/28/2012 2:51:19 AM

MOD MOD MOD!!! I have had repeated weight loss and gain, and it scares me. I weighed in every day for a week, and every single day my weight was different by up to 5 lbs.!!! I also always pay attention to calories, and all the girls in middle school attended a thing on eating disorders, and now my friends and I think I have anorexia. Frown

Hey girl, it's actually normal for your weight to go up and down a bit between days, just depending on when you weigh yourself, or even what you're wearing!  But if you feel like your eating habits have become unhealthy, or you are too worried about what you eat, I really encourage you to talk to an adult.  It's really great that you are thinking about your health, and reaching out for support (to a teacher, parent, or counselor) will help you make sure you are on track.  Take care of yourself, and remember that being healthy and happy - at any weight - is beautiful.  xoxo

Marie H.

by Lilac444 on 1/10/2011 8:56:23 PM

MOD: I am 12 years old, and I am 5 feet, 3 inches. I weigh 111 pounds. Is that overweight?

by heartflowers on 8/20/2010 12:13:10 PM

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you're OK! If you're worried about your weight, talk to the doctor at your next visit to see where you are in the weight range for your age/height group!
Katie R.

by heartflowers on 8/20/2010 12:12:29 PM

*MODMOD*
okay so im 14 years old, 5 foot 1ish, and like, 97 pounds. i think im really fat, like a huge stomach bulge and everything but my friends dont. they always make fun of me for not eating and think its funny that i kinda have a problem. then me other friends is 90 pounds and a little taller then me and SUPER skinny cause shes really really active and eats SO much. like, im so jealous, but she always trys to convince me that im skinnier then her, which i know isnt true.
i hate my friends making fun of me, i think im fat, and i know im not skinnier then that one friend.
help?

Hey girl, I have to say that by your measurements you definitely are not fat. You should probably talk to someone about this.
Kayla C.

by angelbanana23 on 3/26/2010 7:36:12 PM

I can only imagine how tough things are for you. Because we wish you only the best, it’s extremely important that you speak to a trusted adult, such as a family member, doctor, guidance counselor, teacher, etc. , Your Blog Patrol Babes

Also, for additional help, check out: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx

Marie H.

by flip-flop14 on 3/3/2010 5:06:08 PM

**MOD**
I am never hungry, like ever ! Like I only eat because I have to survive. I don't eat that much, I don't eat breakfast, I barely eat lunch because the school lunches are gross, and I eat small dinners. I almost never snack either, and I stay away from junk food. Everyone (even the teachers) have said I've lost a ton of weight in the past year. Is that normal??

Hey girl, you def need to eat and food can be really good: so long as you eat the right kind. I can't say it's normal: it could be the sign of an eating disorder or worse (eck!). You def need to talk to someone. Try eating fruit or healthy snacks: you'll find good tasting, healthy food will help you look and feel your best.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by in_love_with_#16 on 2/3/2010 9:10:04 PM

I had an eating disorder last year and had to go to the hospital for a few weeks. im all better now though!
but i think a few of my friends might have eating disorders. Frown i want to help them

by strawberrysmiles on 1/30/2010 10:59:16 AM

MOD
i'm 5'6" and 103 pounds. my freinds say i'm really thin, but i think i'm fat. i eat really fast natureally. the other day my dad commented on how i "wolfed my food" and i've started resticting what i eat. i never eat breakfast, and have small lunches and suppers. if i eat something unhealthy i feel bad. i don't even have to take a deep breath for me to see my ribs when i look in the mirror and my hips stick out a lot. what do i do?
MOD

Hey girl! You might want to talk to the doctor about healthy weight and eating habits.
Eryn G.

by rubynelawafer on 12/27/2009 8:18:11 PM

Mod, I think I may have a friend that could end up with an eating disorder soon. she sometimes eats but, if she eats its extremely small portions. and she says she is fat.

Hey girly, oh no I hope she doesn't have one. Keep watching her behavior and if you think she might have one, try to get her some help. If you have a school counselor, set up an appointment for her. If you don't get one of your parents or a trusted adult to help you find a local psychiatrist for her. Eating disorders are serious problems. Smile

Lynae P.

by sixteengirl93 on 12/9/2009 6:37:17 PM

Hey Mod! I'm not overweight or anything, but I want to lose about 3 - 4 pounds and tone my body a little bit, especially my abs. I'm also having trouble getting motivated to exercise. Do you know of any ways to get good exercise indoors (it's 10 degrees outside. I also don't have any friends nearby to exercise with) and tips to lose a little weight?

Hey babe,

Do squats, lunges, sit ups, crunches, push ups in short intervals. Start out doing small repetitions (5 on one side, 5 on the other) and work your way up. It won't take much time, but it'll tone and tighten your muscles and make you appear slimmer.

xoxo Keltie
Keltie E.

by bookbutterfly on 12/7/2009 10:51:33 PM

i eat when im hungry.So sometimes i skip a meal and ppl get mad @ me and tell me 2 eat... but im
not hungry!Its annoying

by football playa 4eva! on 12/6/2009 4:10:01 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD lol my friends always say i have probs about eating because im 10 years old and i am 79 pounds and 5'1 feet tall so... what should i do and i already eat alot its just that i work out alot plus im a size 6 in pants and im a XS in tops so what should i do? (some people say that im a walking stick)

Hey girl! Ignore other people. As long as you are eating, and eating healthy, you are perfectly fine. Some girls are just naturally slimmer than others. Plus, your body is still changing and growing and will continue to change and grow until you are about 18. DOn't worry... you will get your curves as you get older!

xoxo

liz
Liz L.

by dram_gueen1o1 on 12/5/2009 11:22:59 AM

Everyone thinks i have an eating disorder but i dont i even eat and i just have a fast working metabilism and nobody can seem to understand that not even my family!! they talk behind my back about this and i'm getting fed up and i want it to stop it hurts really bad i'm now alone at school they think an eating disorder is contagous! Can i get any tips???!!!!

by emily2036 on 11/26/2009 9:56:23 PM

Mod
me and my other friends think one of my friends has an eating disorder. She almost never eats food at school lunch and says she "forgets it" a lot. we offer her some of our lunches but she won't eat. But at her house and stuff she eats a lot. She is also overweight and I think she is self conscious about her body. Do you think it sounds like she does? And If she does how can I talk to her about it without hurting her feelings (she is very sensitive).

Hey girl, it's hard to say for sure but something's up. You've done all you can at lunch -- try asking her straight up if everything's alright. Tell her you're there for her and you just want to make sure she's ok. When she's ready to tell you, she will. If things get too serious though, don't be afraid to talk to a guidance counselor or even your 'rents about it. Sometimes getting an adult involved can help get to the root of what could be a serious prob.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by bballplaya23 on 11/25/2009 8:31:05 PM

MOD i think my cousin might have a eating disorder because when we were having a sleepover at my grandmas house my gandma made mac and chese and my cousin got a realy tiny bowl and it barly had any food in her bopwl and she diddt even eat brakfest.i got a small bowl too but the bowl barly had any food init so when i was done i went to get more food when she saw me she told me that if finished my food i was going to be fat and nobody will like me.but im skinny but im super tall and she very thin and looks vey pale. what should i do.

Hey girl! She might be feeling a little insecure. Try talking to her and seeing whats up. If it turns out she is feeling pretty down, try telling an adult who can better handle the sitch!

-Taeler

Taeler L.

by liliana82398 on 11/24/2009 7:54:24 PM

MOD
This helps so much! I've been looking for advice like this for a long time. I guess my friends kind of recovered because I thought that they probably had full blown anorexia. Now, 3 of my bffs have bad body image. All of them are SUPER skinny but they are super concerned with not eating too much. Like, they eat energy bars for breakfast AND lunch and barely ever snack on ANYTHING. Then, they talk about how fat they are. What should I do to help them? Thanks.

by soccerbee683 on 8/3/2009 6:25:34 PM

MOD MOD MOD: Are there any eating disorders that make you fat? I am way overweight (almost 200lbs.) and I just can't say no to food it's like an addiction. I am constantly eating and eating WHY??

Hey Girl, Check with your doctor for the healthiest plan to get you back to healthy life style again girl.

Cara T.