12 HOURS AGO You'll never believe what this super thoughtful birthday babe did: http://t.co/rMv9b0LCrn

15 HOURS AGO 4 fad diets that just aren't worth the struggle: http://t.co/drOTmIYRz6

16 HOURS AGO What your hair #relaxer is realllllly doing to your body: http://t.co/hAhkOALMrE

COMMENTS

Be the Best Paid Babysitter on the Block!

Now that you’ve snagged some clients, you have to keep them. To get in with the good families—the ones who tip generously, and keep the...

I babysat for my very first time last night. I am thirteen and love kids. I babysat a little 5-year-old girl and her little brother who just turned one. I babysat from 7-9. I was just wondering, how much do you think I should've gotten paid? I think I was overpaid. I don't want to be overpaid, it makes me feel like a bad babysitter. I got $10 an hour so at the end I had $20. Any advice? Thanks in advance Smile

Hey girlie. Babysitting is a hard job! 10 dollars is a great pay especially for a 13 year old. I think it's fine accepting the money. It's not like you told them that you charge that much. They chose to pay you that so I don't think you need to say anything. Be happy you found yourself a good job!
Elizabeth P.

by Farmers_Daughter_<3 on 12/10/2010 10:37:43 PM

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!! Now I know what to . Thanks again!

by troyfamily on 10/27/2010 5:09:36 PM

mod!
hi i have been babysitting for while and im certified.i usualy just take how much the parents give me (hello, i mad 30 bucks!) but i would like to have a set price.what should i charge?

In this economy i would say 8 dollars an hour is a good rate. If you have a set price and realize youre not getting any jobs you may want to lower it. Good luck! xoxo kerra
Kerra S.

by babygirl1265 on 10/9/2010 11:02:31 PM

So tomorrow night I am babysitting for a family with 2 kids, a girl, age 3, and a boy who just turned 7. This is the first time I am babysitting for them, and I am not sure what to charge, if they don't ask,I am going to take what they give me, but if they do, idk what to say? I am almost thirteen, btw if that helps. thanks so much! Girls on the site feel free to post a comment advising me too!

Hey girlie it depends on what they want you to do and how long, if they want you to cook dinner, help with homework  than that will cost a little more. You can charge around 8 to 10 an hour or you can always ask the customer to make you an offer.

Paige T.

by PeetaXKatniss on 7/10/2010 9:35:32 PM

I'm trying to start a club but we need to spend alot of money .HELP!

by purplestar570 on 5/29/2010 8:01:57 PM

I'm trying to start a club but we have to spend so much money on supplies.HELP!

by purplestar570 on 5/29/2010 7:58:41 PM

hey girlies!
I know the GL moderators do a great job of answering questions, but they are busy gals! if you have any questions about tough stuff, school work or anything else, come to my profile and I would be happy to see all your fun profiles and stories

by Olivia T. on 5/26/2010 9:17:23 PM

Even though i'm 10 i am taking a babysitting class next year!

by ahichue on 5/17/2010 2:58:51 PM

my uncle and his wife are about to have a baby and im not sure if they should pay me or not plz helpppp!

by anastaciadeane99 on 5/11/2010 6:38:55 PM

thanks so much. it is soooooooooooo helpful.
Sarah D.

by duffy21 on 3/28/2010 6:50:14 PM

I work in the nursery at church with 2 yr. olds! All of them are GREAT, but there is one little boy in partiular who is a sweetheart, and his parents want me to sit for them! This reason is because the lit. boy talks about me alot at home, and even asked if I could come over for a 'playdate'! His dad wants me to come soon, but the boy has an older sister who is about 7 yrs. old! I don't know her very well, but apparentley she is whiny! What do I do about the sis.?

by ggnyooa on 3/24/2010 8:15:32 PM

MOD!!MOD!!MOD!! I need help i want to babysit but all of the people in my town are super creeps,druggies,and major alcholics. what do i do ? HELPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

Hey chica, post some flyers advertising your babysitting services. Be sure to include all contact and other info. See who gets in touch with you. I'm sure not everyone in your community is sketchy. Smile

Lynae P.

by blue-turtle-53 on 3/21/2010 12:59:38 PM

I used to be a regular sitter for a family in my neighborhood, but they stopped calling me!! I don't know if it's because I did something wrong or what, but I'm trying to save money for a big trip and that was my only job! What should I do?

by greengirl04 on 3/9/2010 9:20:00 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!!!!
I asked my mom if I could get a cell and she said no but, I would get it sooner than when my sis got her's (9th grade) I'm in seventh grade and I asked her in Jan 2010 so when is an ok time 2 ask he again?

Try again in a year. If you press it too much, your mom is going to get annoyed. Good luck! xoxo kerra
Kerra S.

by Pugglegirl1008 on 2/27/2010 7:31:02 PM

hola chicas!!^^
i didn't know that babysitters courses existed!! xD
I've been sitting since I was 15. I sit three girls who love me a lot (and I love them too, they're sooo cute), which is great: I spend 3 hours watching Disney movies and drawing with them and I'm paid for that!!^^
I usually go to their house at 8pm and their parents come back at 12pm or 1am, and then I take what they give me (20€). The snag is that they only call me when they're going out for dinner, and it doesn't happen very often xD

by princesitadecubillas on 2/27/2010 12:09:46 PM

Hey girls, i know many of you have plenty to ask and and I have plenty to answer! So check my profile - *Beth's advice* and trust me when I say this I will get to answer your quests ASAP!

All you have to is post you question on my Profile!And I WILL get back to you.

If you want advice from a chica like your self, ask me!

And unlike the people that answer here I will tell stuff that i had from my own experiences!

Also what is also cool is that some of my friends are going to help me answer some of the more challenging questions

And eventually I'm going to put up a website for all of you senoritas! but for now Go to my Profile and I'l make life a bit easier!

by Beth's Advice! on 2/23/2010 6:15:50 PM

well if u just clean up properly u can get paid good too make sure u get kids in bed on time well fed and clean up!

by soccer211 on 2/9/2010 3:45:37 PM

Hey Girls

Need advice but can't trust those GL mods with answering your questions?

Sick of getting messages that say they are too busy for your important questions?

Want a reliable girl your age with tons of boy, body, family, school and stress experiance to answer your biggest questions?

If you answered YES to any of these questions you are personally invited to the grand opening of natalieisyourmod on Saturday Feb 6 at 9am central time

Just write in a comment NATALIE HELP and I, Natalie will answer within 3 days of your posting!

Thanks for reading

Natalie

VISIT US!!!!!!!!

by natalieisyourmod on 2/3/2010 7:26:17 PM

i make them pay me about 4$an hour cause its only 4 the small kids 4 the older kids like 8 year olds i get 2$ because they can almost take care of them self

by chey.101 on 1/31/2010 7:52:13 PM

Do you want to get more friends? Do want advice from other people your age? Do you want to tell secrets with new friends?
*****
If you do, join the Girls Only Club! I am the president of the club. The Girls Only Club is a club where you can get new friends, get great advice, and just have fun!
*****
If you want to join, comment on my profile. You must have a profile first, though!
*****
If you think up a little job you want, then ask! The first person who asks gets the job!
*****
If you want to join an awesome club, visit my profile and join the Girls Only Club today!

by MathGirl98 on 1/23/2010 1:29:55 PM

Hey Chicas!

I find a great way to figure out the pay is the base it off age. Newborns-2 year olds= $5 a piece. 3-5 year olds= $4-3 (depending on behavior) and Every age up from that is $4 flat a piece. Say you are asked to babysit for a 1 year old, and a five year old. I would say that would be $9 a hour. Younger kids are harder to handle, and have more responsibilties for you. As kids get older, they are more self-suffient, and less work.

by CuteAndClassic on 1/17/2010 6:36:48 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!
OMG did u see Jenifer Lopez in that body suit on TV at new york when the ball dropped SO WEIRD!

by blackrose800 on 1/1/2010 11:11:35 AM

♥♥♥♥♥HEY GIRLS! WHATS UP? I GIVE THE BEST ADVICE IN THE WORLD!!!!!!! I WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTION(S) IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS!! I GIVE ADVICE ON ANYTHING! SO HEAD ON OVER TO MY PROFILE AND ASK ME A QUESTION!!! ( BE SURE TO READ THE LITTLE PARAGRAPH I POSTED ON MY PROFILE.....) THANKS!♥♥♥♥♥

by girlslifeadvice on 12/31/2009 11:30:30 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~IF YOU ARE READING THIS U PROBABLE CARE ABOUT ADVICE AND I CAN GIVE YOU ADVICE SUPER FAST I CAN ANSWER QUESTIONS ON ANYTHING! ON STUFF LIKE PERIODS AND BOYS AND MAKEUP AND HAIR AND SKIN AND BODY AND WEIGHT AND BFFS AND BGF AND ANYTHING U CAN THINK OF AND I WILL ANSWER ON YOUR PROFILE IN A DETAIL. IF U DONT WANNA HAVE YOUR PROFILE PUBLIC I CAN ANSWER IT ON MY PROFILE AND PUT YOUR USER NAME SO U KNOW ITS YOUR ANSWER. THANKS!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

by ModModMod on 12/31/2009 2:37:56 PM

HEY GIRLS!♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Check out my profile! Ask me for advice and I am guaranteed that I will answer you question(s) in the next 10 min!!!!! You can ask me advice on friends, boys, family, ANYTHING! So head on over to my profile!!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

by annabanana21 on 12/31/2009 2:33:49 PM

ATTENTION ALL GIRLS READING THIS!

if ur reading this babysitter's club column, u obviously care about advice. visit my profile, post me a question(if its super important, put ***** at the top) and ill answer in 24 hours, guaranteed. thanks! pass it on to ur friends!

~aspiring advice columnist, lauren

by soccergirl524 on 12/24/2009 4:31:33 PM

MOD - I babysit only about once a month and it is the only money i get to spend for myself. you know for movies and other things i do for fun. but i get a reasonable $20.00 for a full night, im not complaining. but everytime i come home my mom will ask how much i made and then she'll say that i shouldn't have worried about taking the money. or that they should have kept it in other words. what am i supposed to do if i get money but "shouldn't have accepted it" enven though i worked for it?

Hey babes, you should definitely get paid for your time. You are giving up your free time to do something for someone else. Explain to your mother that you want to have a little but of your own income and babysitting is how you are going to do that. xo JANA

jana k.

by 411porky on 12/22/2009 9:55:47 PM

Wooow sorry to those of you who are 10-12 years old but I highly doubt many people will want you to babysit, it's kinda young...I couldn't babysit until I was 13 like most girls.

by turtles_in_africa on 12/22/2009 9:33:36 PM

I babysat for an awesome family once. They're soooo nice and their kid is great, goes to bed and stuff with no trouble. I got $25 dollars for babysitting from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. And the kid went to bed at 8 so I basically watched T.V. for three hours...

by turtles_in_africa on 12/22/2009 9:31:51 PM

Need some help with sitting? Comment on my profile and I will (hopefullySmile) get back to you within 2 or 3 days. Thanks!!

by pointeprincess on 12/14/2009 4:17:41 PM

have you seen where the wild things are??? is it appropriate for a 6 year old

Hey girl! I havnt seen it, but I think it is ok for them.
Eryn G.

by kelephant on 10/24/2009 10:33:30 PM

Okay well my neighbor has two kids but she wont let me babysit them until im thirteen. I gave her a flyer about why i am a good babysitter and that i have taken a course but she still wont let me what do i do

Hey girl! She may not feel comfortable, just relax and giver her some time.
Eryn G.

by kelephant on 10/24/2009 10:31:13 PM

by kelephant on 10/24/2009 10:29:38 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEED HELP NOW!!!!!
MOD,
i sort of know how to take care of kids and all that babysitting stuff. but i wanna take a class for it! do u know of any babysitting classes????
do they have them at the YMCA???? where do u think i could find a babysitting class?????
thx thx thx SOOO much!!!!

Hey girl! You could check your local YMCA to see if they offer the class and you can also check the local hospitals because they usually have classes as well.

Eryn G.

by wonderchic87 on 9/15/2009 1:07:37 PM

i only charge $5 an hour for 3 kids should i charge more?

by volleyballgrl45 on 8/22/2009 8:52:21 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD! I am eleven, (but going into 7th grade). I took a babysitting class where we learned to change diapers, first aid, and they providided me with lots of good material for the kids. I just don't know how to get the word out. Plus, I live in the country, so it's a lot harder. Although, I have two neighbors with kids 3rd grade and younger. What do I do?

Hey chick! Let people know you babysit and that you have taken a great class! Your neighbors would be perfect clients!

Taeler L.

by trumpeter7 on 8/18/2009 5:34:57 PM

MOD!!! MOD!!!!!!
do you have to take a babysitting class to babysit????

Hey girl!  You don't have to take a class to babysit, but it can definitely help you out.  Best, Kristen
Kristen Y.

by livelovedance on 7/23/2009 3:53:59 PM

MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Me and my sister want to start babysitting together. Would we split the amount of just one sitter or would we each earn the norm.?

Hey girl!  If you're trying to babysit with your sis, you'll probably split the profits.  Most parents won't want to pay double if they can find someone else to babysit for the price of one.  Best, Kristen
Kristen Y.

by livelovedance on 7/23/2009 3:50:52 PM

I babysit these ultra-cute kids the girl is four and the boy is 6 and they're well behaved but kinda crazy...just a tip, DO NOT let the kids play a board game or card game before bed. I had them play UNO cuz i thought it might be calming...once they got the hang of it, it got a little friendly-competitive and laughing(cards weren't shuffled well and when 6-yr old needed blue he kept pulling green) and everything...then there was apparently some "monster" in the TV(actually a piece of plastic bobbing off of something which we later discovered)...but they had awesome food(cupcakes, little bites thingys, etc.) but I don't like eating other people's food lol...awkward. But i got $10 an hour for 3 hrs which is really good since it was my first job and I'm only 12...plus my birthday was the next day so I got another like $160 or something like that and a bunch of stuff! Plus they knew it was my b-day(weird ik) so they gave me a prezzy! lol...

by xodanielleox on 7/22/2009 10:04:05 PM

I have been babysitting since I was 10 and I have been loving it ever since! I have some advice for 9-10 year olds wanting to make some cash and love kids, When I was 9 I started "mothers-helpering" the parents were there and I just pl played with the kids and did what ever else the parents needed me to do! It helped me feel comfortable and work my way up to babysitting in a house alone. Another piece of advice.... babysit ppl that live in your neighborhood if you can, you know your parents are 5-10 minutes away just incase! Good Luck to all new babysitters!

by abz4997 on 7/15/2009 6:07:10 PM

im staring baby-sitting next year and i am not sure what to start the price at so this helps a lot.

by tally-wa on 6/16/2009 5:53:33 PM

i just get whatever my clients give me. i don't really have a babysitting rate. hey girlies, if you need any advice about babysitting or anything, just ask!

by Sydney on 6/9/2009 9:28:42 PM

hey everyone,
an idea for all...if u don't kno exactly how to get clients...then make up business cards stating ur name, phone #, and that ur occupation is babysitting...then go around ur neighborhood..and put them on door of people that u trust..AND that have kids! hope this info helps!

by koalamama1 on 6/1/2009 6:57:43 PM

MOD MOD
Would it be ok to put posters around your neighborhood with a phone number?

Hey girl,

I think it would be alright, but you should check with your parents first to see if they're okay with it! If they're not, ask if you can make a separate email address (it's free on yahoo.com and gmail) just for babysitting, and put that on the flyer.

xo Lisa
Lisa B.

by miss_nerdie on 5/19/2009 7:47:40 AM

*MOD*----
I have a neigbor that said a few weeks ago that I could babysit for them on a Saturday, but then the mom came to my door and said that she didn't need me to babysit because her husband was coming home. I was really, really bummed because it would have been my first gig at babysitting. I cried. My mom said there would be more chances, but I was still sad. Do you think I'll get another chance soon?

Hey Girlie, I'm sure you'll get another chance soon. Talk to all the local fams that you know and put the word out at your parents jobs and at school. xo Annemarie
Annemarie D.

by delias on 5/10/2009 9:10:45 PM

MOD
I'm 11, 12 in June. I really want to make some extra $$ and I think babysitting would be great. I'm organized, I have my own transport and I'd certainly compromize in price. I don't work with babies and preferably 5+. I'm just not sure how to A-tell my parents that I really wantt this responsibility; B-charge a certain amount;and C-not take away biz from my other babysitter BFFs.

Hey girl! It sounds like you've really done your hw on the whole babysitting thing. I think your parents would be really impressed. Tell them everything you've figured out. You should probably charge by the hour. Why don't you ask your friends what they usually charge and base your price off that. Make flyers and put them in mailboxes around your neighborhood and in local businesses. People who already have babysitters won't respond. The ones who need a sitter, will!

JESS H.

by ambersoars on 5/2/2009 9:57:48 PM

hey mod??????????????????????????????????? How old do u have 2 b 1 babysit? I'm taking a course this summer, and i love kids and i am really good with them 2. when do u think i should start???????????????????????????????????????????******************
*********************************************

by bakerGirl508 on 4/9/2009 8:58:02 PM

i think $4 an hour for the first kid and $3 an hour for every additional kid sounds good. oh, and then for infants, $6 an hour. is that fair???
-disneychik

by disneychik on 3/30/2009 11:30:03 AM

I'm 10 years old. Do you think I could do it with another 10 year old?

by mj777 on 3/24/2009 5:54:51 PM

I am going to start babysitting as soon as I turn 13, because I am Red Cross Certified (I took a course and everything-it's free, so all you girls should def check it out!), but you have to be at least 13 to legally babysit a child under 8, unless its a family member.
xoxo andi

by doodlebug897 on 3/24/2009 9:05:09 AM

hi ya girlies i think the best age 4 sittin is it big 1 2 if you have any Qs

Hey girl! Sorry but we don't allow girls to post their email addresses on this site.

Jess H.

by peace luv kiwi! on 3/17/2009 6:56:12 PM

MOD!!!!!!!!!!!MOD!!!!!!!!!MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!MOD!!!!! Im 12 going on 13 (I feel like 12 going on 20 Laughing ) and I really wanna start babysitting soon,, I used to Baby Sit 2 twins that were 2,, I had it planned out and it was perfect! Their Mom was one of my mom's bffs,, the lived right across the street, they love me,, and when i am 15 they will be 5 it was gonna turn out perfectly... till they moved ... not to another neighbor hood,, ... to Oregon. From here in florida the moved to oregon. I never Baby sat them alone cause I was younger when they were here in florida,, My problem is that I wanna start Baby sitting really bad but when ever im home alone I always call my Mom or my Nana just to talk,, my mom thinks im calling because im scared to be home alone,, I dont call any more and she doesnt say i cant cause im scared (she didnt even say i couldnt) im totally comfy with being home alone but idk how to bring up the babysitting convo with her PLEASE HELP!!!

Hey girl! Just be like "remember when I used to babysit so-and-so's twins? Well I'd really like to start babysitting again."

Jess H.

by sparklejessi on 3/16/2009 8:40:42 PM

im twelve years old, but i live out in the country so how do i babysit for$$??

by baileyormond123 on 3/16/2009 8:13:09 PM

hey i am 11 i babysit . but 1 kid but he is active i charge the parents extra for kids like him

by parzeta on 3/15/2009 4:45:46 PM

i'm 11 and i babysit. Smile

by linlybabygirl on 3/8/2009 11:58:38 AM

i wanna start babysitting soon cause i really need the money but i'm only 11 and i'm turning 12 soon tho. so should i start next year? and about how much should i charge? i had this friend who was gonna charge $10 per hour but i told her thats waaaaaaay to much but she really doesn't understand that much about babysitting.

by smiley103 on 3/8/2009 11:18:37 AM

i sit for three families
one fam with 3 kids (3,6,and 8) $25-30 total for the night
the second fam 1 kid (4) $10 for about2-3 hours
the third fam 1 kid (4) $10 for about 2-3 hours

by Jensen on 3/7/2009 11:17:42 AM

when i was 10 i had an all summer full time babysitting job. I got $150 a week and love the baby. She had an awesome personality. And ont hose days that you are just exhusted you can pop the movies in. But only once and i while. I have had the job for three summers know and i still love it the little girl is like my own little sister cuz i dont have any. Know for other babysitting job i charge 12 dollars an hour and most parents are okay with it. You just have to work up to the maximum. So start young and keep going when you are older. Even friends can hook you up with people the know. Its awesome. Over the past three years i have mad huge amounts of money and its a good thing that i do i love shopping for every thing.

by TarahJT on 2/27/2009 7:22:50 PM

~~~~MODD!!!~~~
this is very random but my bffl and i are having a very- INTERESTING debate... WHO IS AWSOMER DAVID ARCHULETA OR JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE!?!? this is a very extremely important watchyamacallit and we need a VERY awsome person who is in college( which would be you because theres no one else except u because ur here- online)

Hey girl, I think you should ask the other girlies this question. I'm sure they have some strong opinions! xo Annemarie
Annemarie D.

by X0bostonbabi0x on 2/24/2009 7:36:16 PM

im 11 and im wondering where i can get classes and how much the cost :-I

by ~live-ur-life~ on 2/21/2009 11:37:51 PM

Waah.

by twilightfan11 on 2/21/2009 11:16:17 AM

stargazer46-
i think it depends..you should get certified if you're that young..
so the parents can trust you...

and that's a bit underpaid..but i think with the young age that you are, it'll be appropriate.

by smiles are contagious; let's start an epidemic on 2/16/2009 11:02:53 PM

i'm 15 & i've been babysitting since i was 10. hah.
it's nice to get a few families that you're loyal to, b/c then they pay you more b/c they know and trust you (and sometimes they pay you in different forms-gift certificates, truffles *i got those from my main family*-and christmas prezzies too-i got a 50 dollar gift certificate to borders once. plus my pay!)

saturday i babysat two adooorable kids (hah) that i babysit all the time (like, every week!), and i got 50 dollars. i babysat from 5 to 10. soo. yeah. i would suggest a little less than that ESPECIALLY b/c i live in a wealthy california town.

by smiles are contagious; let's start an epidemic on 2/16/2009 11:00:44 PM

I started babysitting when I was like 10 years old. It was the summer before 6th grade started. The family i sat for had plenty of money too so they payed me 10 bucks an hour. so does the family i sit for most often. i just got back from sitting with 50 dollars. For anyone who wants to start sitting I'd just go over and introduce yourself and say that you love kids and are availabe if they want to go out anytime. Leave your number and smile and they'll call ya back.
Make sure that if you have little sibblings that they see you with them having fun not yelling and pushing them on the ground.

by skijumper4life on 2/14/2009 4:40:11 PM

o yeah. Sometimes my favorite clients take me oon vacation with them. They pay for me, but they still pay the $2 an hour that i am sittin for them!
xoxo, Kate

by coolestsis on 2/14/2009 4:06:28 PM

age 12 to babysit yourself
age 13 to babysit 1 kid
age 14 to babysit 2 kids
ect.

I have a form I made that says everything about what im willing to do and my price and all that important stuff so i dont have to talk with my clients too much. I also give them a paper that they fill out about the kids (allergies, phone #s, ect.) That way I look resposible. I have a first aid kit, kids book, game, and if im sittin for girls mani and pedi kit. I take this stuff with me for every job. I charge $2 an hour. I know its cheap but my clients are now regulars. I watch their kids after school every day and on weekends too sometimes. I pays of cuz if the kids look really happy and say they had a great time when they come home then I get a big tip!
xoxo, Katie

by coolestsis on 2/14/2009 4:03:27 PM

One time after the kids were asleep I went to their basement and cleaned it up. After the mom saw, she called my house and thanked me very much.

by cowgirl98 on 2/14/2009 11:43:25 AM

This is really good info because I am starting baby sitting in april and was wondering what to charge the person per.hour.

Check Out My Profile!!

by snowgirl5659 on 2/12/2009 8:30:03 PM

im 11 and at our local hospital they have babysitting program and it has cpr but my sis who's 15 would probably tag along but i can only sit 4 people know but one fam lives in a bad area of town and another has the fam of a nation so i have no idea how im ever gonna get 2 sit

by cecily on 2/11/2009 7:53:59 PM

My aunt wants me to help babysit with my older cousin (i'm 11, she's 14). I still have to find classes, but I dont know if I should. Do you think that learning from my cuz is okay? (she babysitted since 12) The cousins I'd be babysitting for are ages 10 months, 3, 6 and 8. The three year old is cute but stubborn. Mod (and other gals) please help me!

by superstar911 on 2/7/2009 2:35:29 PM

i want to be certified, but we dont really have any red-crosses around here? what do u suggest! i love kids! and they love me!

by Jewel96 on 2/2/2009 5:08:23 PM

MOD
i teach kindergarten ccd, and there is one girl who i really want to babysit, but I dont know how to approach her parents about it. can you help me?

Hey girl,

If you see her 'rents around advertise your great babysitting know-how. Let them know you're available and would love to help out. Get more great tips on how to be the best babysitter from our "Babysitter's Club" section.

~*Cait

caitlin r.

by smiley128 on 2/2/2009 4:12:46 PM

it all depends

by E-Vollyball on 2/2/2009 12:34:15 AM

im going to start babysitting in the summer.and i already no who im going to babysit.becaues they asked me too.but i know they dont have alot of money mainly to be paying me alot.so should i charge them or should i do it for free. i really enoy being with him.so i was thinking free.but im not sure.

by KellyMarie07 on 2/1/2009 9:36:46 PM

I babysit a lot like every weekend. Babysitting is a great way to make money but some of the prices people are talking about charging is kinda ridiclous.Keep your rates cheap and people will keep calling. I charge only $2 an hour for 1 kid. $5 for 3 kinds. If your being paid $5 an hour for 1 kid your a lucky ducky

by freshmenYAY! on 2/1/2009 12:33:58 PM

I have a big problem. I just babysitted a 8 year old a few days ago. I stayed all night and babysitted and my parents don't think im old enough.

by Ktraven on 2/1/2009 9:30:12 AM

MOD~MOD~MOD
I just started babysitting for a family two doors down and my older cousin. My going wage right now is $5 an hour plus $1 for every extra kid. My dad says that I should raise my price to $6. I don't have a problem with this but I need help starting up the money convo with my clients without sounding mean because they still think that I still charge $5. Any tips?
P.S. Please, if you can post the answer in my profile. thnx.

Hey Girl, just be confident in a subtle way, let them know when you first show up  that your rate is actually 6$ not because you have had more experience, this way you will get the talk done with as soon as you get there. *Cara T*
Cara T.

by flirtygirl95 on 1/24/2009 3:03:26 PM

thats really helpful(:

by abercromdiecutie on 1/22/2009 8:27:11 PM

hey thx 2 everyone who commented here, u all helped me decide how much 2 charge!! i settled on $5 an hour for one kid, plus $2 each additional kid!! whatta think?? yes, im certified.
comment on my profile plz!!

by FrenchHornsRock on 1/19/2009 5:31:24 PM

I got lucky,I babysit for a doctors 2 perfectly behaved kids and he pays 10$ is hour.
I absolutley love babysitting for babies though:

by LexiNicole615 on 1/17/2009 5:08:42 PM

caualy bring up that you babysit/could babysit and ask your parents to mention it to and if they still don't sk you to babysit thn it may be because they don't fel comterble because you don't have expirense and you ould resect that then f you would make a good babystter maybe they will whnt you to babyit after you get some exprens or tey may just not need a baby sitter

by peace 16 on 1/11/2009 2:07:54 PM

**mod**
hi i babysit for my neighbor...she has a 4 year old daughter she is very well behaved but she can be a little trying at times. I only do it for 2-3 hours at a time and my 1 of my parents have to be home...i charge $5 dollars an hour..is that a good amount?

Hey girl!

That seems fine.

<3 Brianna
Brianna G.

by violaluvr on 1/10/2009 7:49:46 PM

also...
Don't just wait for a call to babysit. Send out fliers in mailboxes! If you happen to be busy when someone calls and your BFF or sister babysits, you are more then welcome to recommend them to the possible employer.

by mstar on 1/2/2009 11:20:49 AM

for stargazer46 and others as well...
Five dollars for 2 (maybe 3) kids isn't that much money. If it is your first babysitting job and you are not certified then it is a good price, but add 2 dollars more because you are babysitting more than one kid and one dollar more if you are certified.
$5-$10 would be good prices.

by mstar on 1/2/2009 11:18:38 AM

If the child is not well behaved, you can raise the price and explain (politely) to your employer that since the kid is hard to handle, you would prefer to receive more money for your hard efforts.

by mstar on 1/2/2009 10:49:48 AM

*a little trick to first time babysitters*
If this is your first time trying to get a good price and you have no idea what to gain, there is no problem asking your employer what price they would offer you. I would have been happy with five dollars an hour, but my employer offered me ten!

by mstar on 1/2/2009 10:47:18 AM

mod mod mod mod mod
IM BABYSITING in about 3 days im trying to plan out what yummy snacks we're going to make thats easy what should i make? (p.s im 11 and mostly home alone and responsible is this a good idea? )

Hey girl, What about different types of sandwiches? Or you can get a few cereals and make your own mixes. xo Annemarie

Annemarie D.

by scene91 on 1/1/2009 11:03:31 PM

Petite Chica:
I think that 5 dollars is a good price! It of course depends on how many kids you are babysitting. 5 dollars for two kids is a pretty cheap price if its regular. Thats how its is where I live any ways.
People here charge like $12 dollars an hour...just for one kid...its crazy.

by jellyfish2009 on 12/24/2008 5:06:42 PM

I don't really have a certain rate that I tell the parents. They pay me, and I'm good with whatever they give me! Usually they just give me whatever sounds right-- nothing per hour, really. There was this article in this magazine (Was it GL? Can't remember) that showed the average babysitting rate for each state. California and Florida were the highest states: somewhere around $10 per hour! I thought that was a LOT! I live in Wisconsin, and the average for us is way lower.

by ash_bash08 on 12/21/2008 7:33:38 PM

i'm 13 and i have the choice of babysitting and (just a little advice) 1. If the parents don't mind leaving you in their home alone, you got it!
2. tell them the truth how often your parents let you cook on the stove when you're home alone. 3. i personally think you should be at least 13(not just because i'm that age!) 4. Have fun! as long as the kids aren't doing anything that could wreak your business. Have fun! make some$$$$$$$$!!

by noney on 12/19/2008 11:40:44 PM

I have done it but I don't think I like it. My moms friends asked me to do it and I did. Nothing went wrong but the kids were out of control and I always had to watch what they were doing. But it was nice to make some money.

by luckykel on 12/15/2008 10:40:53 PM

i was going to start b-sitting. me and me pater couldent decied on pay. THX for the range! Smile

by Redwall Girl on 12/10/2008 9:38:31 PM

MODMODMODMOD
I really want to start babysitting because i babysit my sis all the time and i really love kids but i have a prob i live out in the country not in a neighborhood were everybody know everybody else so im afraid if i put up posters around town with my # on them im afraid these werido's will start calling me so what should i do??

Hey babes, You're right to be concerned with your phone number, but I suggest trying a cell phone, or other unpublished phone number you may have. If a "weirdo" does grab your digits, hey can't be traced to your home address and you can have the numbers blocked from calling you. Also, try websites like Sittercity or community groups to spread the word. xo Annemarie

by cbb123 on 12/9/2008 5:19:14 PM

Do you think 12 1/2 is too young of an age to be babysitting 1-5 year olds?

by dancechick on 12/7/2008 8:56:15 PM

Mod-do need to be certified to babysit

Hey babe,
     No, but it makes you look like an accomplished baby sitter if you have experience, first aid training and names of people that you already have baby sat as credentials.<3 Sherryn D.

by spunkeygirl2009 on 12/6/2008 10:56:09 PM

hey i found this cool on GL were you can make your own babbysitting cards it great i just made and i cant wait to put them every were well just saying thanks GL yall have have given me the edvice i need to start my babbysitting biz so thanks GL for everthing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by spunkeygirl2009 on 12/6/2008 10:52:22 PM

MOD
does it say that my profile is not publically visible because for some reason it says i am being moderated?

by alyssa11 on 11/29/2008 9:45:28 PM

MOD- I have one job and they dont need me often. How can I get more???

Use your connections. Ask your parents to see if any of their friends need babysitting or other odd jobs done. Ask teachers and friends if they know of anyone who needs a tutor or help with something!

<3, Sharon

by 14emozingo on 11/26/2008 8:14:23 AM

MOD-
my twin sister and i babysit 3 year old twin girls. theyre realllllly energetic so this summer we decided to do like a 3 day a week summer camp so a couple questions:
how much should i charge (3 days a week, about 4-5 hours a day, a couple of weeks)?
how should i bring the idea up with the mom?
what could we do with the kids?
thanksss
xoxo,
casey

Hey Girl, prob 10 an hour, and play games with the kids outside or do crafts with them. *Cara T*

by caseygeeeee on 11/23/2008 3:33:01 PM

omigosh, belladaniella321, u should totally just let them run their little legs out in a clear soft area. then they settle down & go to sleep or they will sit quietly and watch TV or something. but b careful, cuz' it can backfire and u'll like get 'em all wound up. in that case, run till they drop of exhaustion. BTW, kids dig piggyback rides

by heart_brakur96 on 11/23/2008 1:26:15 AM

Wow now i know i charge way to less i charged $1.50 thats why so many parents wanted me!!!

by WATEVA789GL on 11/22/2008 4:21:32 PM

i'm 11 and i could take a sitting class at the community center, but would any one want me if im 11. i am good with kids.

by beccabee123 on 11/21/2008 5:21:56 PM

*****MOD*****
i know I've asked this b4 but i want many ideas. Do you know and meals the hardly use the stove (like use it for 1 or 2 steps)?
thanx,
Star

Hey babes, I would try a simple sandwich or two- why not peanut butter, ham and cheese, and even one with a crumby cheese (blue) and pear? That's a pretty refined meat but tastes great! Also, you can try making a spinach salad with just some spinach leaves, banana's and a lil balsamic vinegar dressing. xo Annemarie

by stargazer46 on 11/21/2008 4:58:39 PM

I'm 12 almost 13 years old. I have never actuially had a babysitting job, but I am totaly certified and have everything ready. I just need the call. 3 girls moved in next door. They are JUST the correct age for me to be sitting for them, but I dont think they like me that much. They had a birthday and I didn't even know! The Girls loooovee me...I just think their parrents dont.

by smick-smak on 11/20/2008 8:57:08 PM

by smick-smak on 11/20/2008 8:55:14 PM

I'm 11 is that a good age to start babysitting????

by stargazer46 on 11/20/2008 6:48:54 PM

I'm thinking of asking 5$ an hour for 2 kids (maybe 3) what do you girlys think???

by stargazer46 on 11/20/2008 6:46:54 PM

belladaniella321 - just ask the kids what they want to do, or the parents will tell you that they need to do chores or homework or eat or whatever. ive never really babysat, though. : )

by cheerldr~~* on 11/20/2008 5:47:38 PM

MOD ??!?? Me and my bbf ( best bud forever) want to start babysitting we're both bout 12 and we are pretty mature for our age do u think its ok to start just a neighborhood sitting !!!

Hey girl!

Yea that sounds fine.

<3 Brianna

by cjpitcher on 11/17/2008 7:53:47 PM

im 14 and mever babysat, i was trained when i was 11 and i know first aid and everything. what do you guys do withthe kids while you are there?

by belladaniella321 on 11/17/2008 4:59:48 PM

I baby sit for a three year old and a five year old both have adhd and i charge 6 bucks an hour per kid

by kalibaby on 11/15/2008 9:06:59 PM

i totally agree with this.
one time i told a client that i charged 5 dollars per hour and she looked at me like i charged like 50 bucks an hour. ridiculous.

by Bekahboo13 on 11/13/2008 9:55:19 PM

hey everyone i love these tips i read an article kind of like this one but not as cool and then i got a really great sitting job. the kids are 11 and 8 and i am 15 and they pretty much take care of themselves unless they get bored and then we play but there mom pays me 40 dollars a day and 30 dollars a week for gas money even though my mom drives me!!!! yay and btw check out my profile.

by LuluLauren on 11/2/2008 4:40:15 PM

Hmm...does anyone know why my picture for my avatar won't show up??? Smile

Hey chicky, I’m a busy bee facilitating all the G-Blog jazz. Although I’d love to answer and chat with all ya gals, it’s just not possible at the moment. I’m sure our lovely bloggers here would love to help ya out with some great advice! Thanks for understanding. , Your Blog Patrol Babes

by twilightfan11 on 11/1/2008 9:57:14 AM

MOD-
I'm 11, in the sixth grade, and fairly shy. But once I get to know the kids, I'm a really good sitter. I've passed the course, and I've babysat my little sister and my even younger cousin who's 1 before: do you think I should start handing out fliers around my neighbourhood?

by twilightfan11 on 10/31/2008 10:51:22 PM

hi

by mini_ginny on 10/27/2008 2:28:48 AM

i suggest asking the parents if they have a rate!! where i live it's about $3 per kid per hour! But one family with 3 kids (2 year old girl and 5 and 7 year old boys)offers me $10 for each hour the kids are awake and $8 for each hour the kids are asleep! whic makes sense since all i really do when there asleep is watch there tv and eat there food!

by mini_ginny on 10/27/2008 1:19:58 AM

I am 12 and I am babysitting to make enough money to go to a Jonas Brothers concert!

by brayphantom on 10/26/2008 10:38:33 AM

i started babysitting when i was 13, and i'm soooo glad i waited! it's much easier to take care of kids if you can take care of yourself!

by frogily on 10/17/2008 8:51:26 AM

I am soooooo happy!!! I just got a babyitting job. I'm a little young but I'm super mature!!!

by jessie bear123 on 10/14/2008 7:53:48 PM

i sort of live in the country if i started babysitting my dad would have to drive me everywhere what do you suggest I do

by hayleerose9 on 10/13/2008 6:10:03 PM

im 13 and babysitting is my life... check out my profile

by ashes6 on 8/27/2008 4:42:32 PM

***MOD***
I really want to start baby sitting but i was thinking of baby sitting with my bff. do you think that is a good idea? This way i could earn a little extra cash.
Thanks Jazzy Jenn

yes, but if you do it with your bff you are going to have to split the money in half. Smile Laura

by JazzyJennpartygrl on 8/27/2008 1:55:23 PM

***MOD***
I really want to start babysitting and i am really good with kids. how do i get started? how do i get more clients?
Thanks for the advice!

Hand out fliers and spread the word to friends and family! <3 Jaime

by JazzyJennpartygrl on 8/23/2008 7:31:30 PM

Hey! MOD and GL girls!
Just today I got a babysitting job for Monday (and the family might give me a regular job a couple times a week). I'm pretty experienced as a babysitter, I'm just uncomfortable telling people what to pay me. Normally the parents who I sit for just pay me about $5 an hour, but that could get expensive for the family if it's regular... what do you guys think I should ask for?

by petite.chica on 8/23/2008 2:49:07 AM

I'm 11 and i have a 13 year old sister who just started babysitting and barely does it! I REALLY love kids and want to babysit ALONE or with a friend not a sister. how do i get people to hire me and if my sister can't?

by dusteyrose on 8/21/2008 7:43:25 PM

my first babysitting gig was for my neighbor. she couldnt get any work done around the house with her two-year-old needing constant attention so i watched lil kathleen for two hours twice a week for 6 bucks an hour. she was the sweetest little girl! but then i moved...

here i babysit my parents' friends' son, occasionally. he's reeeeally hyper tho, so kinda hard to handle. last time i babysat him for four hours and got $50.

what i get for babysitting really varies depending on who i babysit for, i guess.

by ttlredhead on 8/20/2008 6:49:22 PM

anyone can u please help me me and my friend are going to start a babysitting service when our b day comes and i need some tips to help get started please help me ~ Skittles123

by Skittles123 on 8/20/2008 2:16:17 PM

MOD and girls! HELP! I've babysitted before and everything and have taken 2 courses.... but how do I get clients?.... any tips!?

Hey babes, make up fliers foryour neighborhood. Many times babysitters are word of mouth type things. xoo JANA

by petite.chica on 8/19/2008 8:16:44 PM

mail princess.
i dont know how long legally bt you ight want to wait till your twelve. if you wait till you r eleven you wont get much bussiness cuz people will think you r too youn to watch lil kids. i would recomend waiting till your twelve

by treehuggertayler on 8/19/2008 11:41:11 AM

thats great advice abot the charge thing tho i personally dont have a certain rait the parents pay me by what they think i deserve. like if the baby is asleep when they get home and they usually cant get them to sleep then they pay alittle ,ore generously. i sit for a family with 2 girls 3 and 1. i babysit them both. sometime just one or the other sometimes both. but i always sit for 4-5 hours and make 20 bucks unless everything goes exceptionally well like if i can get the 3 year old to fall asleep when the parents said she can stay up till we get home but you can try to get her to sleep! but ya thats how i roll! haha

by treehuggertayler on 8/19/2008 11:22:24 AM

how old do u have to be to babysit legally? i really wanna start but i don't know how much longer i have to wait im 10!!!!!

by mall_princess on 8/18/2008 7:06:07 PM

I find money talk a little awkward so here's what I do:

For the first couple of jobs I take what I'm given. After that, If I feel I should be getting more, before they leave the next time I talk to them like this.

Mrs. Jones, I feel that I should be paid a little more from now on because (insert well thought out reasons here)

by SunshineSweetie on 8/17/2008 9:52:47 PM

this summer i had my first job babysitting a little girl and i averaged about 150 dollars a week! sometimes even more! they had a pool so i got lots of tanning hours!!! the best part is that the mom was there the entire time and sometimes she would take us out for lunch!!!!

by peyton on 8/17/2008 4:24:24 PM

I babysit with my friend, and even sometimes by myself. Me and my friend do two for one kind of thing because we mostly just love playing with kids. They pay us $10 per hour, so even if we babysit for 3 hours, we still get $15 each! They are also really well behaved kids!

by fabsporty10 on 8/16/2008 1:07:07 PM

i take what they give me. Usually its about $5 for one kid and $10 for 3 per hour. It also depends on the age.

by sashie101 on 8/15/2008 9:21:48 PM

I share a babysitting job with my best friend and we take turns sitting. There are two kids, in 3rd and 5th grade and I'm only paid $5 an hour!!! I live in a relatively wealthy area too! My friend has been babysitting for this family for years and i started about 8 months ago and she says the pay has always been the same. To top that off, these kids are not allowed to watch TV, play video games, or eat any sort of junk food. I know i deserve a pay raise but how can I (or my friend) ask politely for a little bit more money?

if you have a helpful suggestion please e-mail me at xoobrittttt@aol.com

thanks [:

by xoobrittttt on 8/15/2008 8:54:25 PM

depends on the person really.

some people pay what they should ($5/hour/one child---$6/hour/two children---$7/hour/three children) some pay $10/hour for 3 kids, some people $8/hour for two kids. it depends!!!!!! i like when they pay a lot though i makes me feel like a great babysitter!!!!

by madee09 on 8/15/2008 8:45:23 PM

MOD
ow will we be able to access these pages when the front page changes
thanks

AbsOlutely! Ya see the purple speech bubble on the left hand column? That also takes ya to the same place. -Hugs, Jiae

by lilylover on 8/15/2008 8:33:17 PM

my class did a fundraiser that worked really good. we babysat on valentine's evening and we charged $10/hour-1 kid, $15/hour-2 kids, so on, and we gave them supper and a craft and ran around in the school! we got enough $$ that we didn't have to pay anything out of our own wallet on class trip!!!

g2g...spaghetti is ready...yum!

by smartie13 on 8/15/2008 7:38:41 PM

i babysat for free last night (pastor's kids...autism and ADHD), but last sat. i babysat for 2 1/2 hours (i 5year old girl, one two year old girl) and their mom said $10 and i said ok(1st paid job) but their dad gave me $15, which i spent at the county fair!!!

by smartie13 on 8/15/2008 7:33:58 PM

MOD:
I'm babysitting for three kids tomorrow, and I have one question. If the parents ask you how much you charge, how do you politely tell them the amount? Because there are three kids, I'm gonna charge ten dollars an hour(which is exactly what the article said), but how should I say that politely? Please help me!!!

Thanks, cami-chic

by cami-chic on 8/15/2008 4:55:07 PM

i take what money ppl give my i got $50 for babysitting from 8:00 am-4:15 pm or so. i get around $20-$25 for about 3 & a half from another person.

by *_em_[ily]_* on 8/15/2008 2:57:56 PM

I babysit my mom's friends daughter who is three and it isn't hard because she is well behaved

by skatefun on 8/15/2008 10:54:24 AM

I babysat my 8 and 10 year old boy cousins from 6:30 to 5:30 for one week this year so I worked 11 hours a day/55 hours for the week I got 50 dollars and so did my sister my dad said that we should have got more but I thought $50 was enough untill I figured out that I work 55 hours and now i agree with him

by skatefun on 8/15/2008 10:52:44 AM

MOD! (and girls)
I really want to start babysitting? How do I bring it up with my parents? if the give me an okay How do I get clients?

Just tell them you want to do it! Maybe they could help get you into a babysitting prep course for safety. To get clients, spread the word! Make fliers and let everyone know when you're available, especially friends, family, and neighbors! <3 Jaime

by lil' lily on 8/15/2008 12:19:09 AM

i babysit for two really well behaved, awesome kids. they always bake stuff for snacks! bonus! and have a well stocked fridge! it's awesome!

by londongirl12 on 8/14/2008 6:22:48 PM

i would just ask them how much they think is a good price and take it from there. negotiate a little bit (im pretty good at that)

by ads04 on 8/14/2008 5:15:03 PM

I took a abaysitting course and a CPR course and I luve w./ a 5 year old so I can like handle almost any sistuation. Remeber don't be afraid to call their parents or to call 911.Better safe than sorry.

by thtswtgir on 8/14/2008 3:22:13 PM

Hey im 11 in a half me and my friend who is 12 we baby sitt four boys but we lock every door and stay in the basement and we always have a phone by us in case we need to call our parents

by *~*hannah*~* on 8/14/2008 1:11:21 PM

no one really knows that i babysit, and i would be the only one who does in my church, except for like two other people! i have some options!

by hollistercali on 8/14/2008 12:51:23 PM

I would say 13 is an ok age to start babysitting.

by sar232 on 8/14/2008 12:51:17 PM

MOD******
I'm 12...do you personally think that is a good age it to start babysitting!? Just you personally!! Thnx!! Laughing

Sure, that seems like an ok age to start. --Sammi

by chinchillas~rock! on 8/14/2008 12:26:10 PM

MOD-What age would you recoomend to start babysitting?

Hey girly! It totally depends on who you're babysitting for. If the parents don't mind and the kids aren't, you know, a year younger than you, you can start whenever you're ready, and whenever your parents say you're ready. --Sammi

by shrimpsauce on 8/14/2008 11:26:43 AM