AN HOUR AGO That friend who never wants to hang < http://t.co/n4hMjie8rv

4 HOURS AGO DIY lip scrubs we heart: http://t.co/lSqLTWrTyL

5 HOURS AGO 5 reasons to start meditating this second: http://t.co/yIKpxRHqTF

COMMENTS

Are You Ready?

Messy diapers and sticky fingers all over your homework. The teary 2-year-old who wants her sandwich cut into triangles—not squares!—and the ants-in-the-pants pre-schooler bopping...

MODMODMOD!!!!
umm hey I am eleven (I'm going to be twelve in July) and I've worked at a daycare over the summer, I took a babysitting course, and all the kids in my church & daycare love me. I have repeatedly asked my mom if I can babysit other kids, but she always changes the subject, and when she does answer, it's always, "Maybe next year." I think I'm ready (I watch myself and my eight year old sis all the time) but my Mom obviously doesn't. How do I convince my mom to let me babysit. And what's a good way to get my name out without posting my name in Wal-Mart (I am def not doing that!)?

Hey girl!

Wow, that's so great that you have done all these great things with children, and that you want to babysit to earn money! (yay allowance and spending cash!)

I think your mom is right about giving you a few more years until you should be in the care of other children. I didn't start babysitting until I was 15!

But, maybe you can ask your mom if you negotiate. Ask if she could give you some spending  money for watching your 8 year old sister? That will give you more practice. And then, when you turn 12 or 13, maybe she will let you post your name and advertise your services!

XO

Sammy D

Sammy d.

by cloejoe on 12/18/2009 4:52:16 PM

Need some help with sitting? Comment on my profile and I will (hopefullySmile) get back to you within 2 or 3 days. Thanks!!

by pointeprincess on 12/14/2009 4:20:47 PM

OH my! I've been there! You get used to it.

by pointeprincess on 12/14/2009 4:06:58 PM

Hey, I'm 13 and I need some advice on how to start babysitting. Thanks!

by Flameweaver on 12/14/2009 3:02:11 PM

Heres a good tip if a kid is scared there is a monster under his/her bed. Bring "monster spray" (a spray bottle filled with water) When its time to go to bed, make sure the child is watching and spray some under the bed and at the door and in the closet. Later that night if that dose not work, put a carrot under the bed. Tell the child monsters love carrots but it makes them shrink. Then with a paper bag under the bed put the carrot in there and say its the monster and u will throw him away!

by blackrose800 on 12/12/2009 1:54:49 PM

ModModModMod I'm the youngest in three daughters and both my sisters are grown up and in college and I love kids, but I don't know how to get started with babysitting. One of my BFFs has a younger sister in kindy who is the cutest and my BFF babysits her a lot. I thought asking her about hanging out with her while we babysit together. What do you think?

Hey Girl, getting started in babysitting is easy...anyone with kids needs a babysitter! Ask around in your neighborhood, or see if your parents know anyone where they work. Once you babysit one fam, ask them to spread the word and soon you'll be getting tons of calls!

claudia n.

by Chinchilla on 12/11/2009 12:35:20 PM

I'm 11 and a half and I watch my sisters three kids(2,6,and 6 months)so these tips really helped me.Thnx GL

by gotbxr on 7/22/2009 7:21:00 PM

good tips!thx GL!

by baria14 on 7/17/2009 5:16:49 PM

The best way to start your babysitting business is to employ your parents. They might be able to land you some gigs - truth is, most parents' coworkers have kids and are dying to find a good sitter. Plus, since they are your parents' coworkers, your fam is already familiar w/ them, and your employers won't be complete strangers. I asked my dad to talk to some of his friends at work, and he almost immediately had gigs lined up!!!Smile

by Shopaholic923 on 6/7/2009 2:20:16 PM

I'm ready, but I'm gonna wait a while.

I've read every single "Getting Started" babysitting article! Finally done!

And I posted on a bunch.

by MathGirl98 on 4/25/2009 3:38:27 PM