11 HOURS AGO The truth about shaving your arm hair: http://t.co/ajzVkpuuub

14 HOURS AGO @theduckbrand challenges YOU to create & accessorize a prom outfit w/Duck Tape for a chance to #win: http://t.co/WXboQLPzjB #stuckatprom

15 HOURS AGO Oh snap! Is your mom snooping in your diary?! http://t.co/fh6lrvL2Lp

COMMENTS

Pump Up Your Pay

Think you deserve more moolah? Here are some ways to really get a raise. Have a negotiable baby sitting rate Adjust your rates depending on the...

*MOD*
i babysit triplets (two boys & a girl). they're eight years old & i watch their older brother who is in seventh grade. i watch them from eight to four. about how much should i charge?

Hey babe,

You should talk to their parents to figure out what they feel comfortable paying (because sometimes it's higher than you think!) but I think a good ballpark number would be around $30.

xoxo Allie
Allie S.

by ~barrelracer~ on 7/28/2009 10:33:07 AM

**MOD!*MOD!*MOD!*MOD!**
Okay, so I really want to start making money, so that I have it to spend on stuff like clothes, and when I go places with my friends, but I'm only thirteen! I plan to put up flyers for babysitting at my church soon (I've taken a Red Cross course), but if that doesn't work, what could I try?? Where I live, in places like ice cream parlors, restaurants, Starbucks, etc all seem to have like 16 years+ age people who work there, so I don't think they'd hire a thirteen year old? Should I ask anyways???? Please help!!!

Hey girl!  It does not hurt to ask if your local shops hire thirteen year olds; probably not, but what do you have to loose?  You can try pet-sitting if you are into animals, or even jewelry-making if you are feeling crafty.  Try asking your parents and family you can help them do household chores for a little cash.  Good luck!  Kristen
Kristen Y.

by the brave little toaster on 7/23/2009 2:02:55 PM

cool! that helps alot. i babysat a 5 year old a couple times and it was 3 hours of fighting the evil dust bunny under the couch or barn animal toys!!

by aj1010 on 7/21/2009 10:22:31 PM

i always let the rents choose how mush they should pay. they are really great about tipping fairly!

by neverslowdown on 7/21/2009 10:08:33 PM

***MOD***
Hey, i really really really want to babysit! I'm turning 13 in December and i'm going into 7th grade this year. I started handing out flyers when I turned 11. I'm really sad that I haven't gotten one call. Not One! I just got new next door neighboors and they have a 2-year-old son. I told them that I really want to babysit and they said that when they need me, they'll tell me, but they haven't said anything. Also, one of my other neighbors has a son going into 2nd grade. They have some kind of Rewards card and they get discounts when they go to the movie theather on Tuesdays. They told me that it would be a big help if I babysat their son when they went to adult movies on Tuesdays. I was sooo excited!! But, every Tuesday they end up never calling. It's been weeks! I know that probably something came up and they couldn't go, but I'm started to think that they aren't really going to call. I don't want to be pushy, but what should I do??

Hey babe,

It sounds like you've done a lot to get your name out there, so all you can do for now is wait. You can try asking your friends if they know of anyone or if they could put up fliers in places you haven't thought of you, but until you get a call, just be patient! You'll find a client eventually.

xoxo Allie
Allie S.

by jmpgurly on 7/21/2009 11:18:54 AM

Dang...$10 an hour is more than CA minimum wage :o
I get paid $5 an hour for up to 3 kids, and a dollar extra per each additional kid (i.e. $7 an hour for 5 kids)

by thelby on 7/15/2009 8:07:44 PM

**MOD** okay, im going to be babsitting for this one-year-old boy for the first time soon, ive played with him a couple times. he loves me, and is so sweet and really smart for 14 month old. His parents have alot of money. and asked if id feel more comfortable babysitting him in the house or on the boat. and the boat is a yaght with a bedroom and bathroom and stuff. i said id start with just the house but eventually i do want to try sitting for him on the boat. and by that i think they ment just me and him on the boat in the dock (not floating in the middle of the lake) are their any rules for watching a baby on a boat? (he can swim and float on his back, the boat is baby proof but i still want to be careful.) also they said while at the house I can bring him into the jacuzzi cuz he likes to jump in off the edge and swim around. any tips for that? thank you and sorry that this is so long.

The best thing to do once babysitting on boat is to be VERY careful and keep your eye on him at all times.  You may want to invest in taking a lifeguard class to make sure you water-savvy skills are up to par!  Good luck girl!

Brooke E.

by erkel5 on 7/8/2009 12:19:40 PM

MOD What if you are doing your best for monthes and no raise what do i do.

Hey girl, try talking to your supervisor or boss about the possibility of a raise or a promotion. In the mean time, just keep doing your best and working hard. Always be on time and be polite and professional, and they'll def take note! ~Alexa
alexa e.

by Trackie23 on 7/4/2009 2:35:21 PM

Mod mod mod mod mod
I babysit these 2 kinds 5 & 8 and Im supposed to get 6$ an hour. Since they live bout 30 minutes away from me. Since it's an hour away I figured they would pay me for my travel time but for 4 hrs (including travel time) I only got 23$. It's pretty close to our agreed on price but on top of that the kids were impossible to control, super annoying, didn't listen, & always fought!!! I agreed b4 I babysit them the first time to do it again but how can I politely ask for 7$ an hour including travel time...their kinda poor but they know their kids are hard to handle! My crush usually gets paid 15-20$ an hour but he babysit in a wealthy neighborhood... Please please help me! Brittney

Hey babe,

They probably haven't considered paying for travel time, which most families don't do anyway. You also have to respect that they might not be able to afford to pay you more. You can hint that the kids are being trouble and maybe they will give you a bonus for it, but I think it would be rude to ask for more money, considering their situation.

xoxo Allie
Allie S.

by brittneybball on 7/3/2009 10:19:52 PM

*******MODMODMOD********
For 3 kids that are 8 5 and 3, do you think it is ok to charge 8? How about to girls that are 7 and 5 is it ok to charge 6?

Hey babe,

Those sound like very reasonable prices. If you're worried about how much to charge look up the minimum wage in your area and base it on that.

xoxo Allie