11 HOURS AGO Why using dryer sheets could be a health risk 😷:http://t.co/5YY4YXjU6ww

14 HOURS AGO Forget whatcha heard! Gingers do, indeed, have souls: http://t.co/00mxgpFRev

15 HOURS AGO Is Lauren from @FifthHarmony chick secretly dating a member of @TheVampsband? http://t.co/YDLnDrNTIm #harmonizers

COMMENTS

My Mom Won’t Let Me Shave!

It’s getting hot out and I’m ready to break out the shorts, but my leg hair is way too noticeable! I want to shave, but my mom says I’m not allowed to.

if she still wont let u shave here's what u should do for your legs: rub lotion and vaseline together and apply to your legs it will make it shiny and give the illusion of being shaved.hope this helped.

by _karen_ on 6/29/2013 6:14:41 PM

My mom won't let me shave because she says girls don't NEED to shave (which is probably true, but it's more attractive and if I don't then people will think I dont keep myself clean) and my mom doesn't shave (at least I've looked everywhere and can't find a razor) I'm 11, turning 12 in a few weeks. I remember at the beginning of 6th grade when we started PE girls would stare at my legs but not say anything and that made me feel self conscious. I've tried talking to my mom multiple times, even talked to my aunt who does shave her legs. My aunt told me that in Vietnam (where my mom was born/from) things are different and I've tried talking to my mom about that but she won't listen. At least my other friends who don't shave yet, their moms have given them a time, like when their period comes or a certain age but here my mom said NEVER. I can't go on with this until I'm 18! My brothers friends (girls) have just went behind their moms back and shaved but I don't want to decieve mine.

by RandomPanda1600 on 12/7/2012 5:02:13 PM

Mod mod??
Hey, I've asked my mom before three different times when I was in 6th grade, 7th, then 8th. She said no all three times!!! I'm scared I'm going to be denied again!!! How can I get over it????

Hey chica! If she says no, then you'll have to accept it, but you can keep asking every few months until she says yes.  Or if she says no again, ask her (nicely) if she can give you a specific time when you will be old enough.  xoxo

Kate G.

by Daddy'sgrl12 on 8/13/2012 4:55:56 PM

Mod?
Well, for my mom, she doesn't need to shave at all since she was 18! That's when she had pneumonia so her body hair faded away and it doesn't grow back... :O So lucky, but she lets me wax not shave...is waxing a good thing because my mom approves it so I wax my underarm a lil bit caz it barely grows hair that much and my legs from my knees all the way down..I do that 1 every 2 months, it really works! Is that a bad thing to do???

Hey! Waxing isn't unhealthy to the best of my knowledge, just a lil uncomfortable sometimes haha!

Helen S.

by Susmita24 on 6/25/2012 6:27:01 PM

My mom won't let me shave :'[
I Told her everything and she said: that my hair is going to grow faster and their going to look like a man if i keep shaving but she keeps saying no no no
IDK what to do now :'[ I Don't want to wear skirts, shorts and everyone even my bf is going to look at my hairy legs Frown
HELP ME!! Frown

by Rosie_Notperfect on 4/8/2012 12:30:21 PM

MOD! would it work just to have this conversation through e-mail with my mom? because that worked when i asked her about doing my underarms. Also, she likes to know the facts on things before she decides, like reading the ingredients on juices over before she buys it.

Hey chica, It's usually easiest and best to have big conversations in person (less chance for miscommunication).  But if e-mail works for you and your mom, that's fine too!

Marie H.

by spicyllamachick2120 on 5/16/2011 8:51:41 PM

mod mod mod mod
im too scared to do this.....any tips?
thx

Hey girl,

Unfortunately I can't find the original article from the administrative end of GL but I assume from the title it has something to do with asking your mom about shaving. If I remember correctly it said something about bringing it up by asking to borrow her razor.(?) Rather than asking to share her razor, it would be better to bring it up next time you're at Wal-Mart, Target or a similar store and in that section — or just by catching her alone at home and having a heart-to-heart about it.

Let her know that your leg/underarm hair (whichever it is) makes you feel self-conscious — or however you feel — and ask her if she'd be OK with letting you shave. Hopefully she'll understand: you have to remember that your mom was in the same sitch when she was your age! If she says no, she has the final say but you could ask when you might be allowed to shave or what her reasons are for not letting you — while being polite, of course!

Vanessa J.

by lillierabbit on 9/25/2010 11:47:13 AM

mod mod mod mod
im too scared to do this.....any tips?

by lillierabbit on 9/24/2010 9:11:08 PM

You wanna know what I did? During New Year's I had two friends over. And they were shaving and I wasn't allowed to. But I did it anyway because I wanted to do it really bad like my friends. My mom opened the door and saw that I was shaving my legs and she didn't get mad. Not one bit. I was actually very surprised.

by jdizzle09 on 4/11/2010 8:54:53 PM

MOD! I REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED HELP.!!!!!!
ok so im 15.in 9th grade. tried talking to my mom bout letting me shave.she lets me shave under my arms & stuff but not my legs. she says you cant see the hair but i can!im talking dark brown, not blonde here. and she told me well u will have to worry with it everyday and u wont feel like it when you get old like me (shes 51..im adopted) and i told her id worry with it then, and then i asked her ificould at least bleach it and she said no to that too cuz i have dark skin and she said it would only mak it shine and more noticable.she said i have to wait till im 18, then i an do whatever i want to....but i dont want to wait that long!

Hey babe! I think you should make a list of reasons why you want to shave and how waiting until you're 18 is too long to wait. Let her know how uncomfortable and embarrassing having the unwanted hair is. Maybe confide in her that someone made fun of it in gym class, or hurt your feelings by commenting on your hairy legs. Stand up for yourself, but stay calm when getting your point across. Good luck!

Megan R.