1 HOURS AGO Feelin' uncomfortable about your boobs? We can help: http://t.co/AZVuvbu9d7

2 HOURS AGO 1 lucky winner scores 3 new pairs of kicks, a pair for her BFF, PLUS a $200 gift card from @sugar_brand: http://t.co/zYxfribqfQ

3 HOURS AGO How's your luck lookin'? Check your #horoscope to find out: http://t.co/G3UNgFG7x0

COMMENTS

Babysitting 911: I'm Underpaid! Now What!?

"I just started babysitting so I don't know what's fair, but I think I'm being underpaid! How can I speak up?"

naturally96 that doesn't seem underpaid at all... >.<

by Frenchmani<3 on 4/14/2010 6:29:44 PM

I THINK I AM OVER PAID BUDT I WILL JUST KEEP MOUTH SHUT TO THE KIDS MOM!!!! i watch kids for 5 hours at night and for 1 hour they are asleep.... i get paid $25$ for looking after them for 20 mins out side when i took them to a park the mom offered to pay 5 bucks!!!!! CRAZY!!!

by hailbop16 on 4/9/2010 9:45:29 PM

You think you're underpaid? I have to babysit my brother and sister. My stepdad says I'm paid in room and board.

by Kazthespaz on 3/20/2010 11:17:57 PM

MOD! im goin thru the same sitch. i babysit a 3 yr old from about 6am-3pm every other saturday. it takes up my saturday, and do have to get up quite early, but i love the child and have a reasonably good time watching her. but im definitely getting underpaid. im 14 and for almost ten hrs, and plenty poopy diapers, i get $20. all my family agree that it is too low, and have asked around other families to see what they would pay a person of my age for that amount of time, and most have said they'd pay anywhere from $40 to $60 bucks. this particular family doesnt make an exquisite amt. of moolah, but i still feel ripped off. i just dont know how to handle this situation.

Hey girl, just talk to the family. Let them know you want a raise. Ask them if they can increase your pay by at least 10 bucks. Tell them you do a lot of work and $20 isn't enough. Be polite of curse. Smile

Lynae P.

by naturally96 on 3/7/2010 2:26:59 PM

Need babysitting advice? Feel free to ask me!

by keenerdemeanor on 3/6/2010 10:46:06 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!!
what do i do when i say i charge lets sayyyy $6 but the parents say wellll i heard you babysit for the smiths for 4.50 an hour.....truth is i only lowered it for them because the smiths dont have alot of money.what do i say?

Hey girlie,

That's a tough one! You have every right to charge whatever you want, so explain to them that you charge every family differently, based on a bunch of different factors. Say that 6$ is your average price, and if they are not comfortable with it, you'd be happy to give them the phone numbers of other families who pay you that rate so they can discuss why your worth it. Just be sure to get the other families' permission before giving out their phone number!

Melissa H.

by petuniagrace on 3/5/2010 3:11:01 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
I WAS WONDERING is it true that where you live kinda controls how much you get paid. i heard in ny,ny you can get as much as $11-15 an hour. i KNOW i could never get that much here.people dont make alot of $ and the ones that do would probally only pay me 5 or so an hour. (this all depends on how long and how many kids i sit but for 1 hr 1 child i would only get $3-5)

Hey girlie,

Yea, its totally true that it depends where you live. Check around and see what other gals are making to make sure you are not being underpaid. If you think you ARE underpaid, read this article on how to get the $$ you deserve!

Melissa H.

by petuniagrace on 3/5/2010 3:00:42 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!
i know CPR for babies and kids and the hiemlich manuver for babies and kids too.i have a flier up at church because there are alot of kids there and i dont want to babysit for strangers kids.ive asked people and given them my phone # but they never call.i charge $2 an hour per child. do i charge to much?how can i get people to call?THX

Hey girlie,

It's awesome that you know CPR, that is defiantly a good skill to have as a babysitter. Make sure that families at your church know about this skill, and personally let them know what else would make you a great babysitter (flexibility, responsibility, organized...). Once you finally land that first job, it will be easier to find more! For other tips on getting started, check out http://www.girlslife.com/category/getting-started2.aspx
Melissa H.

by petuniagrace on 3/2/2010 2:09:03 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!!
I BABY SIT for this family of 4 kids for $2 an hour since they dont have alot of money.sometimes they give me half the money and say their being paid fri(ect)and theyll pay me when i come back.but they never do. i never mention it because os theor lack of money but i have lost alot of money for them.am im being selfish?plz respond thx

Hey girlie,

It is not at all selfish to want to be paid the money you earned. If you agreed with this family ahead of time on a 2$ an hour price, then they should be giving it to you. Their lack of money makes it a sticky situation, but that doesn't give them the right not to pay you. Remind them how much they owe you and agree on a date for them to pay it back by. As for future babysitting jobs with them, maybe you could compromise with them on a cheaper price that they could afford. If you don't want to babysit for cheaper, let them know you can't work for them anymore. Remember to be mature and respectful, they are obviously having a difficult time!

Melissa H.

by petuniagrace on 3/2/2010 2:04:12 PM

I babysit for 3 kids for any amount of time and I always seem to be underpaid.. Tonight I was there for 2 hours and they only gave me $10.. and previous times for 5 hours and only $25 when the kids are awake the whole time.. I never told them how much I wanted, I was refered by someone else who pays well, and then they just handed me money and it isn't until I get home I notice that it's less then what I deserve..
I don't want to sound greety or rude asking for more money, so what should I do?

Hey babes, that is difficult. You don't want to be rude and ask for more money but honestly, 5 dollars isnt all that much. Is the mom there when you are sitting? xo JANA

jana k.