11 HOURS AGO Stay sun savvy with 5 beauty buys for sun protection: http://t.co/Aq9qUPQ3nE

14 HOURS AGO Tone up #tabata style: http://t.co/lOFXLmg7ew

15 HOURS AGO Pretty up with the 20 best nail polish picks of all time: http://t.co/1GctxLQSKw

COMMENTS

Babysitting 911: I'm Underpaid! Now What!?

"I just started babysitting so I don't know what's fair, but I think I'm being underpaid! How can I speak up?"

I babysit a 2 year old and a 3 1/2 year old and I got paid three dollars for babysitting them for like 5 hours.
Plus whenever i'm outside the mom sends them out to "play" (babysit for free) They follow me around and it gets annoying, trust me. It really stinks):

by mtf1998 on 7/25/2011 1:25:28 PM

You should stand up. Politely say, "It is called a job and I need to get paid. If you can't pay me then I can't baby-sit again. I really like baby-sitting for your kids." It tells themthat you like baby-sitting, but you won't like to not provide service for them over pay.

by MK19B on 10/2/2010 4:51:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
My friend and me just took a babysitting class from Red Cross two months ago, and they still haven't sent my liscence! My friend got hers and we tried calling and going back to the place, but no such luck. So do you know of any websites you can take a test on then print a license? It would have to be free, because we paid for the class already.

hey! I can't link you outside of the site but I think you shouldn't give up so easily if you paid for the class. If you passed you have a right to your license and if they won't give it to you then ask for your money back. Good luck!
Helen S.

by bluecatcrazy on 9/26/2010 3:03:46 PM

I babysat four kids ( very hiper kids) for five hours and only got payed 10 bucks!!!!

Any tips on hot to get the two girls to go to sleep???
They will just not go to sleep!!! They are 2 and 3 1/2.

by sjtishrgnd on 8/22/2010 9:56:34 PM

MOD I babysat this little boy twice for 2 hours both times at the end of the school year. I get paid $5 a hour, so the parents should have paid me $20 total. The mom said she would drop it of at my house, or her husband would give me the money at swim team. The swim team is now OVER and i still haven't gotten the money. I'm kind of in need of it, but I don't want to ask and seem rude or seem like I'm hounding them. W#hat do i do?

Hey girlie, it's not rude to ask for money that you rightfully earned. Give them a call or send an email letting them know you never got it. They probably just forgot about it!
Alissa S.

by musicgirl<3 on 8/4/2010 11:13:02 AM

MODMODMODMODMODMOD!!!!!!! What if the people yu babysit for forget to pay you????

Hey girl! They won't forget, if they do, before you leave make sure you let them know.  You can do it politely by saying something like: I love babysitting for you! I just want to make sure I'm getting paid for it too!

Megan R.

by ambersgirl on 7/28/2010 7:06:26 PM

do kids and parints hateme???? i havent had a job at all and i took th calss 2 monthes ago

by taylormaggie on 7/25/2010 8:43:07 PM

**MOD**
im just now starting to babysit this 4 year old girl. any good ideas to help keep her occupied?. (besides make-up) and what are some good rewards i could give her for good behavior?

Hey girlie, kiddie videos, coloring, and reading to her.

Paige T.

by tianicole97 on 7/24/2010 10:29:15 PM

I have no kids on my street all it is is elderly people any tips to find kids to babysit?

by selenarocks411 on 7/24/2010 10:01:13 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!
Thanks, but you didn't answer the first part of my question. What are some fun ways to make money?? Thanks Smile

Hey sorry about that! Depends what you like doing. babysitting's only fun if you like kids. Are you super organized? maybe you could get a few bucks de-cluttering the house. Good luck!
Helen S.

by lautnerloverrr08 on 7/24/2010 3:49:03 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!
I desperately need money!! When i get some, i go through it really fast. Any tips on how to make some money? And how to save some??

Hey! When I get some money I save half and spend half. It's a good system especially before you have to worry about things like bills Smile
Helen S.

by lautnerloverrr08 on 7/24/2010 3:27:01 PM

It really depends on how many children you are watching and for how long. maybe to get a few extra bucks you could do the dishes( even if they were not from you). Also get the kids to bed on time too. You can also try to clean up their toys. Also they $ you get may depend on the area you are in: I heard that some people in Tenessee that are certified and all only get $3 an hour! Well where I live they give 47-10 an hour! So if it seems they might underpay you say you charge whatever amount as long as it is reasonable!

by ambersgirl on 7/22/2010 9:27:56 AM

I have a feeling I'm getting underpaid. I work 2 to 3 days a week for one family and get paid $30 for 8 hours a day! I think it's a bit of a stretch, but hopefully I'll get a tip here or there!

by pointeprincess on 7/16/2010 1:50:46 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
Last night I babysat my little 1 year old cousin because it was a last minute babysitter thing. it was from 8pm to 12 am. I didnt mine but I got OVERpaid. he gave me $25 just for wachting tv when the little one was asleep and all I did was check on him some, I feel bad but I didnt even ask about pay till he droped me off at my house and he said and asked if $25 was ok. I took it but now I feel bad. What can I do to not feel bad about it? Thanks

Hey girlie,

Don't feel guilty!  He decided how much to give you and the amount reflects how much they appreciate your work.  Even though you didn't have to deal with crying, dirty diapers, or entertaining your cousin, you still gave his parents peace of mind by being there just in case.  They were grateful to have someone they could trust!  So just be grateful in return for the money and don't blow it on something silly Smile next time, if you don't want to get paid or want to get paid less, chat with them beforehand and set out the "rules" for your employment. That way, you won't have to worry about it in the future!

Lauren C.

by archery on 7/10/2010 3:00:52 PM

Im CPR/ First aid certified (in a couple days) lol and after that i might be babysitting for this family that has 3 girls ages 6,8, and 10. Do you think 7 or 8 dollars an hour is a good amount? Ive never babysat before so i really dont know how much is fair.Thanks!!!

Hey girlie, ask the parents you're babysitting for what they usually pay babysitters. But I think 7 or 8 definitely sounds reasonable.

Lauren T.

by stixgirl101 on 7/9/2010 5:51:41 PM

okay so i babysit every now and then for the same people every time. sometimes i babysit from 5 or 6pm to like 1 or 2 in the morning and all i get is $10. other times i get payed $25 or $30. sometimes i babysit during the day for a couple hours or even just half an hour and i get about $10 or $15.

by bffsrock on 7/8/2010 12:51:44 PM

I heard a rumor that one girl was kidnapped when she went over to someones house to babysit.I sorta wanna go in with my mom now. COuld this be true? and how can i prevent this from happening to me? HELP

Hey girl! I'm not sure where you heard this rumor. If it would make you feel safer to go in with your mom the first time, go ahead. Just make sure you know the family you are babysitting for before you babysit.

xoxo

Liz

Liz L.

by lagirlabb55 on 7/4/2010 8:35:26 PM

MOD
whenever i babysit my cousins it's always a little messed up. their parents drop in and out, they take me (and my sister who i babysit with) our for dinner afterwards and help take care of the kids when they come home (randomly). because of this we don't really get paid properly and properly don't deserve to. how can i stop the strangeness and get paid properly?

Hey girlie, you should definitely talk to your cousin's parents and tell them what your looking to get out of this job. More responsibility, trust, and some independence. Talk to them they should be responsive to your hints for more responsibility and more money.
Paige T.

by kgirlpanda on 7/2/2010 9:00:15 PM

i cant wait to babysit!!! only 5 more months

by cuteolivia1998 on 6/30/2010 11:10:58 PM

I'm watching my sister all summer. We're at our mom 1 week and our dad's the next all summer. My mom's paying my $25 a week but my dad's not paying me! When I asked about he didn't answer! How do I get him to pay me like he should? I'm going to try to send him a text again but he can be stubborn. HELP

by vikingmegan on 6/28/2010 12:30:55 PM

I've been babysitting two little kids for a year now and I love them to death, but the youngest has a huge temper problem. He threw a brick at me the other day and sprained my foot. Something has to be done, but I don't know what. Should I ask for more money?

by lolforever on 6/11/2010 5:04:55 PM

I charge for 1kid:3dollars an hour and for 2 kids i charge 5 dollars an hour. for 3 kids i charge 7$ an hour.10 dollars an hour for 4+ kids lauren r.

by sarahyarah on 6/7/2010 8:32:54 PM

Hey Fellow Teen Girls,
Im Here To Give Advice, And Answer Questions!
Sometimes The GL Mods Can Get A Bit Busy!
If You Have Any Advice You Need Help With Or A Question You Need Answered, I'm Your Go To Gal.
Please Visit My Profile If You Ever Need Help Or Advice, Or Just Want To Say Hello Laughing
Have A Nice Day
XOXOXO
MOD Liza! Smile Smile Smile Smile <3 <3

by mileycalyx on 6/7/2010 4:36:00 PM

i make really good $ all year round from babysitting-I usually get paid 10-15$ and watch 2-3 kids at a time Smile

by karatejenn16 on 5/29/2010 9:43:22 PM

hey girlies!
I know the GL moderators do a great job of answering questions, but they are busy gals! if you have any questions about tough stuff, school work or anything else, come to my profile and I would be happy to see all your fun profiles and stories!

by Olivia T. on 5/29/2010 7:45:51 PM

hey girlies!

by Olivia T. on 5/26/2010 9:16:43 PM

*****MODERATOR***** Hey! I babysat for less than an hour 4 my neighbor, and she gave me wayyyyyy MORE than i expected. I told her to just give whatever she wants cuz she's my neighbor and i didn't have a set amount to charge. my mom told me she gave me way to much and i should have offered her change. But my neighbors used to having sitters, so i don't think she was expecting change, right? she would have just had the correct amount right? thanks Smile

Hey girl!  Dealing with money from babysitting can be confusing sometimes.  Since you didn't tell her an amount, she probably did give you what she was comfortable with based on past sitters.  If you're not sure how much is right, you could check with other girls you know who babysit so you have an idea in mind for next time.  xoxo

Marie H.

by Born2ride on 5/19/2010 7:12:12 PM

MOD I babysit three kids, a 2 year old girl and 4 year old twin boys. I get paid $15 an hour. Do you think it's too much? Although I use most of the money for the coloring books, crayons, dress up chest, and other things, I wonder...

Hey chicky, I’m a busy bee facilitating all the G-Blog jazz. Although I’d love to answer and chat with all ya gals, it’s just not possible at the moment. I’m sure our lovely bloggers here would love to help ya out with some great advice! Thanks for understanding. , Your Blog Patrol Babes

Marie H.

by LoveAndWar23 on 4/21/2010 7:54:15 PM

As long as you're comfortable with it and the family is comfortable with it, I'm sure it's fine.  If you're not sure, I would check with other girls you know who babysit to see what is about right.  xoxo

Marie H.

by LoveAndWar23 on 4/21/2010 7:50:58 PM

I don't get an allowance.It isn't fair! We obviously have the money considering we just got a new car when we had 3!!!!

by cec on 4/18/2010 6:21:59 PM

naturally96 that doesn't seem underpaid at all... >.<

by Frenchmani<3 on 4/14/2010 6:29:44 PM

I THINK I AM OVER PAID BUDT I WILL JUST KEEP MOUTH SHUT TO THE KIDS MOM!!!! i watch kids for 5 hours at night and for 1 hour they are asleep.... i get paid $25$ for looking after them for 20 mins out side when i took them to a park the mom offered to pay 5 bucks!!!!! CRAZY!!!

by hailbop16 on 4/9/2010 9:45:29 PM

You think you're underpaid? I have to babysit my brother and sister. My stepdad says I'm paid in room and board.

by Kazthespaz on 3/20/2010 11:17:57 PM

MOD! im goin thru the same sitch. i babysit a 3 yr old from about 6am-3pm every other saturday. it takes up my saturday, and do have to get up quite early, but i love the child and have a reasonably good time watching her. but im definitely getting underpaid. im 14 and for almost ten hrs, and plenty poopy diapers, i get $20. all my family agree that it is too low, and have asked around other families to see what they would pay a person of my age for that amount of time, and most have said they'd pay anywhere from $40 to $60 bucks. this particular family doesnt make an exquisite amt. of moolah, but i still feel ripped off. i just dont know how to handle this situation.

Hey girl, just talk to the family. Let them know you want a raise. Ask them if they can increase your pay by at least 10 bucks. Tell them you do a lot of work and $20 isn't enough. Be polite of curse. Smile

Lynae P.

by naturally96 on 3/7/2010 2:26:59 PM

Need babysitting advice? Feel free to ask me!

by keenerdemeanor on 3/6/2010 10:46:06 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!!
what do i do when i say i charge lets sayyyy $6 but the parents say wellll i heard you babysit for the smiths for 4.50 an hour.....truth is i only lowered it for them because the smiths dont have alot of money.what do i say?

Hey girlie,

That's a tough one! You have every right to charge whatever you want, so explain to them that you charge every family differently, based on a bunch of different factors. Say that 6$ is your average price, and if they are not comfortable with it, you'd be happy to give them the phone numbers of other families who pay you that rate so they can discuss why your worth it. Just be sure to get the other families' permission before giving out their phone number!

Melissa H.

by petuniagrace on 3/5/2010 3:11:01 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
I WAS WONDERING is it true that where you live kinda controls how much you get paid. i heard in ny,ny you can get as much as $11-15 an hour. i KNOW i could never get that much here.people dont make alot of $ and the ones that do would probally only pay me 5 or so an hour. (this all depends on how long and how many kids i sit but for 1 hr 1 child i would only get $3-5)

Hey girlie,

Yea, its totally true that it depends where you live. Check around and see what other gals are making to make sure you are not being underpaid. If you think you ARE underpaid, read this article on how to get the $$ you deserve!

Melissa H.

by petuniagrace on 3/5/2010 3:00:42 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!
i know CPR for babies and kids and the hiemlich manuver for babies and kids too.i have a flier up at church because there are alot of kids there and i dont want to babysit for strangers kids.ive asked people and given them my phone # but they never call.i charge $2 an hour per child. do i charge to much?how can i get people to call?THX

Hey girlie,

It's awesome that you know CPR, that is defiantly a good skill to have as a babysitter. Make sure that families at your church know about this skill, and personally let them know what else would make you a great babysitter (flexibility, responsibility, organized...). Once you finally land that first job, it will be easier to find more! For other tips on getting started, check out http://www.girlslife.com/category/getting-started2.aspx
Melissa H.

by petuniagrace on 3/2/2010 2:09:03 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!!
I BABY SIT for this family of 4 kids for $2 an hour since they dont have alot of money.sometimes they give me half the money and say their being paid fri(ect)and theyll pay me when i come back.but they never do. i never mention it because os theor lack of money but i have lost alot of money for them.am im being selfish?plz respond thx

Hey girlie,

It is not at all selfish to want to be paid the money you earned. If you agreed with this family ahead of time on a 2$ an hour price, then they should be giving it to you. Their lack of money makes it a sticky situation, but that doesn't give them the right not to pay you. Remind them how much they owe you and agree on a date for them to pay it back by. As for future babysitting jobs with them, maybe you could compromise with them on a cheaper price that they could afford. If you don't want to babysit for cheaper, let them know you can't work for them anymore. Remember to be mature and respectful, they are obviously having a difficult time!

Melissa H.

by petuniagrace on 3/2/2010 2:04:12 PM

I babysit for 3 kids for any amount of time and I always seem to be underpaid.. Tonight I was there for 2 hours and they only gave me $10.. and previous times for 5 hours and only $25 when the kids are awake the whole time.. I never told them how much I wanted, I was refered by someone else who pays well, and then they just handed me money and it isn't until I get home I notice that it's less then what I deserve..
I don't want to sound greety or rude asking for more money, so what should I do?

Hey babes, that is difficult. You don't want to be rude and ask for more money but honestly, 5 dollars isnt all that much. Is the mom there when you are sitting? xo JANA

jana k.

by lagle14 on 2/25/2010 9:20:07 PM

Hey girls, i know many of you have plenty to ask and and I have plenty to answer! So check my profile - *Beth's advice* and trust me when I say this I will get to answer your quests ASAP!

All you have to is post you question on my Profile!And I WILL get back to you.

If you want advice from a chica like your self, ask me!

And unlike the people that answer here I will tell stuff that i had from my own experiences!

Also what is also cool is that some of my friends are going to help me answer some of the more challenging questions

And eventually I'm going to put up a website for all of you senoritas! but for now Go to my Profile and I'l make life a bit easier!

by Beth's Advice! on 2/23/2010 6:15:16 PM

im babysitting for family friends for around 7 hours with a 3,7,and 9 year old. it will be my first time ever babysitting for money. how much do you think they'll pay me?

Hey Girl! I would expect them to pay at least 10 dollars an hour. Hopefully it will be more but I would expect at least $70! xo Lizzie
lizzie n.

by spacutie424 on 2/17/2010 4:23:56 PM

Feel like you cant express yourself to these columns? ** **
** **
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *

Dont know how to word it?
Come to my profile at
sarahs advice Laughing
and leave ur messages!
I'll not only give FANTASTIC advice, but hold contests
once in awhile, so stay tuned!

Thanks!
sarahs advice Laughing

by sarahs advice :D on 2/5/2010 11:53:33 PM

1. Say your name 10 times.
2. Say your mom's name 5 times.
3. Say your crush's name 3 times.
4. Paste this to 4 other quizzes. If you do this, your crush will kiss you on the nearest Friday, but if you read this and do not paste this, then you will have very bad luck! SEND THIS TO 5 QUIZZES IN 143 MINUTES. WHEN YOU'RE DONE PRESS F6 AND YOUR CRUSH'S NAME WILL APPEAR IN BIG LETTERS ON THE SCREEN.

by megans85 on 1/10/2010 7:14:25 PM

MOD MOD
okay i have 2 q's (sorry!)
1 i babysat 4 sum ppl nd did a gud job the kids had fun nd it was my first time nd i got paid rlly well thy sed thy wntd my 1st time to b special, but thy havnt usd me since thn! *was i rong to accept the $ ?? 2 *do u think tht i did a bad job? thanks for being so kind and taking the time to answer my questions! u MODs are awsum!

Well most people babysit for money so i dont think you were wrong to take it. Also they might not have used you cuz they havent needed you yet. So dont fret. I'm sure you did a great job. xoxo kerra
Kerra S.

by dina22464 on 1/9/2010 5:19:41 PM

i really want to start babysitting for people. i babysat 1 family over the summer and it went pretty good. i would like to earn some more money and i think babysitting is a good idea. how should try to get a job? thanks!

Hey babe,

Trying enrolling in a CPR babysitting/first aid class in your town. They'll have connections and you'll be more qualified to take care of children. Contact family friends, neighbors or ask your parents to ask their coworkers if they need anyone. It's all about hearsay Smile

xoxo Keltie
Keltie E.

by colorgal on 1/4/2010 9:40:05 PM

MODMODMOD
how can you get babysitting gigs with people you know without seeming overly eager? because everytime i start (casually) talking about babysitting with my parents' friends my mom starts laughing at my attempt at not seeming too eager because she knows how much i want the job.

Hey girl! You should put up posters and act very serious when they ask you.
Eryn G.

by licoricelexigirl on 12/27/2009 5:58:00 PM

I understand what it feels like to be underpais. a few summers ago I babysat for a 5 year old and an eight year old. I watched the kids for 7 hours during the day and I only got 21 dollars. the parents explanation was that the 8 year old boy was old enough to take care of himself but i still had to feed him and keep an eye on him. Since it was an old neighbor of mine their neighbor, a family friend, went and talked to them about how I had spent my whole day babysiting ffor three dollars an hour. I havent babysat for them since because they havent asked me but I feel I should have gotten at least 42 dollars if not more.

by aerolover94 on 12/9/2009 8:20:20 AM

MOD MOD MOD How do u become an intern?

Hey babe,

You can read all about it on the "Contact Us" link at the top of the page.

xoxo Allie

Allie S.

by DivaGirl123321 on 11/27/2009 8:37:07 PM

MOD! I want to hand out babysitting flyers on a street with lots of kids on it. This girl in my school lives on that street and babysits for kids around there sometimes, too. Is it okay to pass out flyers so that parents have options? Also, when passing out flyers, I'm sometimes not sure who has kids and who doesn't. How do I know which mailboxes to put flyers in? Thanks!

Hey girl! I would try to babysit for people I know, rather than complete strangers. Ask your mom if she knows anyone who has kids and might need a babysitter.

xoxo

liz
Liz L.

by born2perform26 on 11/23/2009 4:17:09 PM

one of the best things to do is just let the parents decide how to pay you. then, it doesn't get confusing with age and number of kids.

by spirit_101222_ on 11/10/2009 8:01:15 PM

**☺☻-MOD--- How much is a good price for a seven year old and a 4 year old? Micah

Hey girl, whatever you think is right is what goes. Remember babysitting is your joob, and the best part about it is setting the price. I would say ten dollars per hour though if you are unsure because that is pretty much standard.

xoxo Olivia

Olivia A.

by micah365 on 11/5/2009 12:58:35 PM

one time i baby-sat this kid and he threw a block at me and hit me with a chair!! Smile but it was funny when he hit my brother

by simile-emily on 10/6/2009 5:55:13 PM

~mod~ hey! I babysit for four children, a 2 year old girl,3 year old boy, 5 year old boy, and a 6 year old boy. The parents work at my church, so their salary isn't a lot, so I usually take whatever they give me, which is around $20.I taken classes, so i'm very well-trained...and i'm almost 15. The children are very well behaved, however, it is still a lot of work. How much should i ask for?

Hey girlie! That's really up to what you feel comfortable with and how long you babysit for!

-Taeler

Taeler L.

by ctina11rox95 on 10/5/2009 2:58:20 PM

Mod!!!!!!!! There is a Halloween Dance coming soon. What do you think I should wear. We are allowed to wear costumes within reason . Like no super shorts or bra straps showing. Please help. Jess Smile Thanks

Hey girl!  Since it's a Halloween Dance, you should def wear a costume!  It doesn't have to be inappro, but if you can think up something creative and fun, you'll look awesome! best, Kristen

Kristen Y.

by cutierockerangel101 on 10/4/2009 8:57:10 PM

i have a question. is it an ok thing to let the parents decide how uch you get paid? cuz i babysit twins in 1st grade and i always let the parents pay.

Hey girl! yea thats fine, as long as you are fine with it.
Eryn G.

by ash_hollow on 10/3/2009 4:10:15 PM

MOD
I'm eleven years old and really responsable, so I'm babysitting the kids while the parents do Bible study. The other person who had the gig is in college now, so they can't come all the time, and then I'm available. Do you think I'm too young to be babysitting? Like I said before (and I'm trying not to brag), I'm very responsable, and living with two brothers and a sister (all younger than me), I think I'm fine. What about you?

Hey babe! If you're comfortable babysitting, then I think it's okay!  If they're at Bible study it's probably only for an hour or so, so it's not all day! It's great that you have experience with your brothers and sister!  You go girl! Way to be responsible!
Megan R.

by MathGirl98 on 10/3/2009 8:16:49 AM

I get five dollars a kid. True, not much when there's just one, but let's say there are five or six. You got a good $25 to $30 right there!

by MathGirl98 on 10/2/2009 4:01:34 PM

I'm turning 12. I've never babysat before. What things should I know about babysitting kids?
-Megan

Hey girl, I suggest going with your mom or a trusted adult to the home of the kids you're babysitting before the big day. Arrange a meeting where you'll learn a li'l bit about the kids, what the fam expects you to do, and how much you'll be paid. When it's time to babysit, have some safe activities planned, like movies, sports, crafts, or baking. Whatever you feel comfortable with. You'll find yourself getting the hang of it in no time! Best, Miliana

Miliana B.

by beautybabe11 on 9/27/2009 8:07:04 AM

hi what age do u think is appropriate for babysitting?

by lorettalove:) on 9/18/2009 4:38:09 PM

***MOD*** I am a baby-sitter, and the parents take advantage of me! Sometimes I baby-sit one day and they pay me, and then the next they don't even pay me, or they say that they will send their daughter down to give me the money (their my neighbors as well) but days pass and they still haven't paid me. Then, they expect me to baby-sit again for them, so I always think their gonna pay me, but sometimes I'm wrong. My parents told me if they still don't pay me, that I shouldn't baby-sit for them, or I have to tell them they need to. The thing is, I don't want to sound greedy... what should I do?

You should speak up. Tell them you enjoy babysitting for their kids but your time is valuable and if they ccould pay you every time that would be great. Be really nice about it and you won't sound greedy.

Olivia

Olivia A.

by evercole95 on 9/17/2009 3:55:48 PM

I think anywhere from $5-$12 is good, depending on the number of kids and if they are sleeping during it.

Also the age of the kids is a huge thing too, I would charge a lot more for taking care of a baby and a toddler than for 4 eight year olds.

by lovedance15 on 9/17/2009 10:45:44 AM

MOD MOD MOD Okay I am 15 and have had 3 years of experience as a babysitter. Well, yesterday I babysat for this family that has three kids under 3 and they are really crazy. I babysat for three hours and they paid me $10 do you think that is underpaid??

Hey girlie! That's a lot of kids to watch for 3 hours. It's up to you how much money you make and feel comfortable with. Check out this page for a little more info: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2009/08/26/underpaid-babysitting.aspx

-Taeler

Taeler L.

by lovedance15 on 9/17/2009 10:42:41 AM

MOD
Ok, so I went to babysit for this family for like 45 min. and i got paid $20. We are friends with the family so my mom said that that was a little too much. Then the next time I babysat her kids she gave me $10 for 3 hours!!! I have a job there this saturday so i dont know what to say because she already paid me a lot and then to little and ahhhh!!! i am cofused. Plz Help
thnx,
Ella

Hey Ella! You are doing her a service. Your job is to babysit, so treat it like a job. If you are concerned about how much money you will get, talk to her about it upfront. Set a price per hour and let her know you expect that amount at the end of your job. It's not fair to you if you are only getting $10 for 3 hours!

Good luck!

Liz
Liz L.

by Ella2110 on 9/9/2009 12:29:11 PM

my moms policy is- $10 or more if the baby sitter can drive. $5 an hour if they can't

by chocolatelover423 on 8/27/2009 4:55:42 PM

i think 7 dollars an hour is perf. and 1 dollar extra for every extra kid.

by frostybunny9 on 8/27/2009 4:49:06 PM

HI GIRLS!!!

I'm a MOD/advice answerer for anyone that needs advice! I will answer questions about anything! Fashion, boys, health/fitness, style/beauty, periods, friends, family, back to school questions, school, tough things, you name it! No question will be turned down once posted. Just comment on my profile and I will comment back on yours ASAP. If your profile isn't public, just let me know and tell me an article you want me to post it on or on my profile.

by laughOUTloud4 on 8/27/2009 4:07:24 PM

Check out my pro!

by MeagPolkadot on 8/27/2009 3:54:32 PM

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

HHHHEEEEYYYYYY CHICKAS!!!!!!!!!
I’ll MOD for anyone who needs any help. If any of you guys need advice, I’M ALL EARS!!! Just post a comment on my profile and I will reply ASAP since I check my profile like 3 times a day LOLZ.

Tong Tong Tong Tong Tong Tong Tong Tong Tong Tong Tong Tong Tong Tong Tong Tong

Come check out the polls posted at the bottom of “My Healthy You Profile” section on my profile and comment on it so I know what your choice is! Don’t worry this is not a club. It’s just something fun to do and you can see what other girls say too!

Innocent Innocent Innocent Innocent Innocent Innocent Innocent Innocent Innocent Innocent Innocent Innocent Innocent

by musicrox on 8/27/2009 1:41:50 PM

~mod~ i have a babysitting job on saturday and i'm not sure what to charge. it's for 1year old twins but i'm only 13 so i don't know what to charge. i'm thinking i'll do a discounted rate for once they go to sleep but i don't know what to ask to begin with. btw most of my experience is unpaid with either little cousins or my little brother

Hey girlie! Typical charge for babysitting is around 10 dollars an hour. You can ask for a little less if you would feel more comfortable! Or you can just wait and see how much they pay you! They are usually pretty generous considering your watching their kids!

-Taeler

Taeler L.

by katerinaballerina on 8/27/2009 1:13:39 PM

Ok well u just get paid five dollars an hour or ten

by Music lover 4eva on 8/27/2009 12:47:10 PM

good advice! id say a fair amount is between 5 and 10 dollars an hour.

~comment my pro!~