5 HOURS AGO Why using dryer sheets could be a health risk 😷:http://t.co/5YY4YXjU6ww

8 HOURS AGO Forget whatcha heard! Gingers do, indeed, have souls: http://t.co/00mxgpFRev

9 HOURS AGO Is Lauren from @FifthHarmony chick secretly dating a member of @TheVampsband? http://t.co/YDLnDrNTIm #harmonizers

COMMENTS

My parents are ruining my social life!

I love hanging with my friends, but I’m always missing out on stuff. My parents let me out with my friends at least once or...

Mod Mod Mod: I feel the same way. My parents check my text because I snuck to the bathroom to text. They don't let me wear makeup and they don't approve my friends because THEY wear makeup and text too much. Also they won't let me shave and I really need to. What should I do?

Hey girlie, ask them why they're doing what they're doing. If you understand their reasoning it will be easier for you to convince them otherwise.

Lauren T.

by CaliGurlz1999 on 1/1/2011 8:20:41 PM

Mod Mod Mod!!!
Ok, My mom always complains I am anti social but when I ask if I could go to my friends house, or my friend calss and invites me over she always is all, you are so inconvinient and is ticked off the rest of the day. She also limits my phone convos to 20 mins max. Our bill isn't by minute (house phone) but just a flat fee. I also said if there was another call I would tell my friend there was one and get the next call. It doesn't fly with her. What do I do to keep my social life alive. I tried to have a talk with her. I asked "Are you busy because I need to talk to you." She said no. But when I started talking about the subject she said I was over reacting. I just told her what I have told you, but even less rude! What do I do to make her understand??

Hey! If she says you are anti social tell her  that you try to make plans but she says that they are inconvenient. good luck!

Helen S.

by spazzysarah on 12/5/2010 2:32:19 PM

Mod mod mod my mom is really nice and supportive. She always takes my wishes into consideration, but I have a really hard time asking her for things. Especially stuff like makeup. I love experimenting with it, but only have a little, and wanted to ask my mom for some for Christmas. I just can't do it though. I don't know why. Is there a way I can be more forward with my mom?

Hey girl, I know it can be hard to be assertive and say what you want.  But if your mom is nice and supportive, she is a great person to practice speaking up to!  You can talk to her sometime when you are hanging out, or even when you are out shopping.  Tell her exactly what you told me - you are interested in experimenting with make-up, and you would like some for Christmas.  I'm sure she will be happy to talk to you about it!

Marie H.

by googie on 11/22/2010 4:07:07 PM

I kno all my dad wants me to do is study study study no friends i've never had hun out with my friends after shcool cuz of tht its so annoying

by Gabs102 on 11/18/2010 10:03:24 PM

mod
my mom got me eyeliner for Halloween and my friends all agreed i looked pretty with it on so i asked my mom if i could wear it to school. she said no. i asked if i could wear it after school. she said no. i asked if i could wear on the weekends and she said no. i asked her why and my mom said said that she couldn't wear makeup until her freshman year but all of my friends wear makeup and i think its really unfair that i can't even wear it on the WEEKENDS!!!! i've talked to my makeup-y friend and she said try to give reasons why i want to wear makeup and i did that and my mom didn't give. all i can wear is clear mascara (so no one can see it) and lip gloss (which i wipe off within 5 minutes). what do i do?

It seems like your mom isn't going to budge on this one, so you don't want to push too hard to be able to wear makeup. You'll probably just have to wait until she lets you. However, you could say that if you were allowed to wear makeup, you could have her approve it before you go out to school or on the weekend. Or, you could offer to add on to your chores in exchange for being able to wear makeup, or something like that. Make sure you're grown-up and polite about asking, and if she says no, don't argue or keep bringing it up.

Vanessa J.

by BlackDragon on 11/6/2010 12:03:29 AM

Arrrrrgh, my mom is the same way, except there is no talking to her about it! Well, except for the one time when she let me have 2 sleepovers in a row......

by meriadoc34 on 10/27/2010 4:30:44 PM

MOD MOD MOD! please answer this... im like the only kid in my skool without a facebook which makes it really hard to connect with friendsFrown iv tried to explain to them why i need it or could use it but there not listening to me at all... iv even bumped up my chores to see if that would help???? nothing is working... my friends say to get one behind there back but i dont want to get in trouble or break our trust??? what should i doooooo???????

Hey girl,

You're right - you should never go behind your parents' backs because it's important to keep a trustworthy relationship with your parents so that they can count on you and you can count on them. It also makes your relationship stronger. Of course, you don't want to get in trouble, either. Plus, you probably wouldn't feel good about logging on all the time and sneaking around.

Maybe the reason they don't want you to get a Facebook is because they don't know much about it. Maybe you could ask them if you could show them what it's like, and then have one of your friends come over to log on and show them what kinds of things you can do on Facebook. You could go over the privacy settings that are available and talk about the benefits of having a Facebook. If they are afraid of what you might post, you could offer to have them check up on your Facebook sometimes. When I first got a Facebook, my mom wasn't a huge fan of the idea of me getting one, but she did let me get one by using my middle name as my last name on the site and checking on it sometimes. You could ask if that would be OK. Good luck!

Vanessa J.

by sunshine(: on 10/16/2010 12:42:33 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!! please answer this! well my parents dont think i eat and its so annoying! they think im too skinny when im rly not! and i like to have some noise in the background when i do hmwk so i have my tv on and they think its so bad and im only watching tv so they took it out of my room! im trying to keep my cool but i cant im getting so mad and i just got my first eighty(89) as a 5 week reading averageee! and worst of all they have to sign it! and this morning since my mom was in the shower when i went for the bus she told me to text her on the bus and i completely forgot! she called my school! and lately ive been going to bed very late (hmwk) so they keep yelling at me and they hear the tv so they get even more mad! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry this was so long!)

hey! yeah i had the same prob. My mom always tried to force more food on me because she thought I didn't eat enough. Really I'm just a small person and get full quickly, and maybe you're the same way. Only you know if you're getting enough to eat, so remember to do that, but also tell your mom when she's being too pushy about it. If they get mad about the 89 that's ridiculous. It's a high B and nothing to be ashamed of. If you want to set your personal goals higher that's great but it's no where near low enough of a grade to get lectured about. Just tell them you did your best. tension with parents is hard but just let them know that lately you've been getting a lot of heat from them and that you aren't trying to upset them. Being a parent is stressful, but so is middle school. good luck!

Helen S.

by laughlots on 10/7/2010 4:35:56 PM

MOD
How old do you think people(kids)should start wearing makeup?

Hey girl, honestly, I don't think most people need make-up unless it's for a special occasion. Natural beauty is just so much better. It really depends on your parents, though. I don't believe there's any right specific age.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by hscmith on 10/5/2010 8:33:23 PM

hey girl Smile my parents are like that too with my brother. I'm kind of used to it now, but doing chores without being asked is a super good way for extra time out with friends :]

by bbluel0ver on 9/25/2010 1:22:42 PM