6 HOURS AGO Hey fit chicks, say hello to your new favorite workout: http://t.co/GZ50ygVlNX

9 HOURS AGO Which character from @thegivermovie are you? Take the quiz and find out: http://t.co/V1rdFyMROQ

10 HOURS AGO The thigh gap thing has gone far enough #BodyPeace: http://t.co/9KEmVRd8uf

COMMENTS

Find the best hairbrush for your hair type

No more wrestling with your thick mane or battling curls with your brush. Check out this guide to match you with your perfect hairbrush and...

Either a styling brush or a wide-tooth comb. I can't decide. I guess. Should use the comb, since my hair is more on the curly side.

by peppercyndaquil13 on 8/12/2012 10:27:11 PM

I have thick, wavy and kinky hair! What should my brush be?

by emmagirl99 on 6/7/2012 10:55:46 PM

Help please!!! My hair has TONS of spit ends and it often gets frizzy. I have to constantly go to the bathroom to put water on my hair so it will go down. But often it is really frizzy and makes me look awful before i can get to water. Is there anything that can help me?

by BaconLuver on 11/5/2011 1:12:00 PM

mod mod mod how long does it take for a comment to appear? I posted something at yesterday at dinner time so how much longer do you think that I will have to wait?? Thanks so much! I <3 GL

Hey chica, it all depends on how many comments are sent in and who's modding. Did you already go to check the placed where you uploaded your comment to see if it was posted? We try to get back to you as soon as possible, but we sometimes get bogged down with a lot of comments. At the most it would take a couple hours for your comment to appear. Smile Smile Smile

Lynae P.

by tori1016 on 9/17/2011 8:19:07 PM

mod mod mod. ok so i have thick hair but the ends are frizzy and the rest looks like crap what do i do?please help

Hey girl. You can try a repairative or deep conditioning hair treatment. Visit a hair dresser. You probably have spit end and she or can give some more good tips.

mary h.

by ktiktokk on 7/13/2011 12:56:27 PM

What if your hair is a little bit of each? lol...mine is short, curly, kinky, and thick.

by jackieluvz on 6/22/2011 8:21:43 PM

I have long think hair. What brush should i use? And also its really hard to get clean. any advice?

hey! check this out: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2011/04/04/find-the-best-hairbrush-for-your-hair-type.aspx to get it clean massage your shampoo in at the roots. scalp health is the secret to hair health.
Helen S.

by coaco1998 on 5/27/2011 8:18:14 PM

MOD My hair is really thick and curly. Whenever I comb it, it always poofs out a whole lot. What kind of brush/comb do you think I should use?

Hey chica, I'm not sure if this will help, but sometimes my hair used to be poofy after I showered, so I started using just a detangling comb when it was wet, and then not messing with it otherwise.  It helped a lot!  When you have curly hair, you don't wanna overdo it on the brushing.  xoxo

Marie H.

by doubleread56 on 5/16/2011 8:00:13 PM

MOD MOD MOD I have brown, oily, thick, long, hair. I have absolutely no idea how to style it. Some help would be nice!

Hey girlie -- have you ever thought of getting some long layers cut in? It would open your face and add dimension to your hair. Also, baby powder on the roots, reduces oil Smile

Brittany G.

Brittany G.

by allykat2496 on 5/12/2011 6:40:59 PM

I have thick ,curly ,wavy hair and i live in a humid country so everytime i blow dry it or straighten it stays straight but then in like 5 seconds it puffs up how can i control this?

Hey girl!

Humidity stinks doesn't it? I would try using some anti-frizz product that will keep your hair in control. On days that are super humid, I would try experimenting with some curling product and mousse and blow dry your hair with a diffuser so you can wear your hair wavy too Smile

danielle D.

danielle D.

by neongirl224 on 4/22/2011 6:48:04 AM

MOD!
I have hair that grows REALLY close to my neck. Every time after I take a shower, a HUGE knot forms right near my scalp, and it hurts like crazy to get it out, even with a wide-tooth comb.. I have tried every product, and even tried combing out my hair in the shower when it's soaking wet. Frown Any tips?
Thanks!!

hey girl,

Try shampoos that work for your hair type...so if you have brittle hair, try one that will help strengthen it..or detangle it.  Sometimes our hair can get really weak and easily tangled from getting too overworked, so be gentle with it!  Also, great hair strength starts with good nutrition, so make sure you're also eating a healthy, balanced diet Smile
Ruth S.

by xlovelovelove13 on 4/16/2011 11:01:55 PM

My hair is so straigt!!! When I brush it it is messy again in like 5 min!!! What can I do???

by cloudriddin'girly on 4/15/2011 11:37:57 PM

My hair is naturally thick, long, and loose waves. I straighten it(dont worry i use a heat protector!). So what kind of brush should i use?

hey girl,

I would suggest the brush for the thick hair, so that it can help your hair dry quicker before you straighten it.  Or you could also give the comb for wavy hair a try too (if you're more concerned about knots).  See which one suits your hair the best!
Ruth S.

by Art Crazy52 on 4/10/2011 12:14:04 AM

Mod mod mod
I was wondering. I have wavy/curlly african ameeican hair.its sholder length and Its in multiplele layers how can I grow that out with cute styles

Hey girl,

here's an article for curly hair :http://www.girlslife.com/post/2010/11/09/tame-curly-hairstyles.aspx

Just make sure to treat your hair well and don't use too many heating tools or put too many chemicals on it!
Ruth S.

by watergal47 on 4/9/2011 10:23:33 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
helllooo. Smile
i was wondering, how can i blow dry my hair straight? its very layered, if that's a factor. thanks. Smile

Hey girlie! You should check Youtube for videos on how to blow dry you hair straight (I've never straightened my hair using that method, so I'm wouldn't e able to tell you personally) Smile

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by goldenhamsta on 4/9/2011 12:40:47 PM

I <3 my brush cause...
1)The bristles dont break off!
2)It smooths out my hair!
3)Makes my golden-brown locks shine!
4)Works grreat when I want to straighten my wavy tresses!
5)Works when my hair's still wet/damp!
6)My momma gave it to me! Smile
7)It's a paddle brush!
8)Keeps my hair wavy when i want it too!
9)Wasn't insanely expensive!
10)Works smoothly!
TELL ME 10 REASONS Y U LUV YOUR BRUSH!!Smile
~baconlvr711~

by baconlvr711 on 4/8/2011 11:19:46 PM

MOD! I have thick, frizzy, curly, puffy hair.
It's horrible sometimes.
My brush has soft bristles and a few harder ones.
How can I brush my hair without fluffing the curls out, leaving me with a frizzy mess. How can i manage it?
I'd love to be able to wear it down.
Thx!

7. It doesn't hurt your head
8. I get it wet and still works
9. It's a pretty brush a beautiful nut color
10. Someone special gave it to me with lots of love
TELL ME TEN REASONS WHY YOU <3 YOUR BRUSH

by devann8 on 4/8/2011 5:34:43 PM

My hair type doesn't get brought up often, if at all. I'm African American and I have thickish,relaxed, naturally dark brown/red hair that's between my ear and chin in length. Any cute styles, products, what type of brush should I use?

Helen S.

by OMiG! on 4/8/2011 5:26:12 PM

MODMODMODMOD
I have darkish golden blonde and wavy hair. My eyebrows are kind of light, but I want to dye my hair red. All my friends say that it's a bad idea, but I really, really, really want to. Is there something I can do about my eyebrows? Do you know of any other causes that red hair might not look so good? (I have a light skin-tone.)

Bonjour chicky! I think red hair with light eyebrows will be fine, as long as it's not a very dark red color. If you're really unsure though, talk to your hairstylist and see what they recommend. Maybe a strawberry blond color would be the best red for you! There's so many options when it comes to red hair.

Jessica W.

by PunkRose88 on 4/7/2011 2:03:31 AM

I love Girls Life,they help me with SO much!

by MadMaddie911 on 4/5/2011 10:25:16 AM

MODMODMOD
i have medium long, brown, layered, wavy hair. i straighten it almost everyday. besides a ponytail, bun, or leaving it down, what are some new, cute hairstyles?? thankss(: <3

Bonjour chicky! Check out this page for some awesome new hair-dos! http://www.girlslife.com/category/hair-styles.aspx

Jessica W.

by BEACHGIRL#1 on 4/5/2011 9:29:27 AM

MOD
I have long, wavy-ish, thick hair what kind of these brushes would you recommend???

Bonjour chicky! I would recommend the styling brush for thick hair. Even if your hair is wavy, you want a tough brush to make sure it style it well.

Jessica W.

by wrockstarz22 on 4/5/2011 1:14:21 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!!
Hey i have 3 ?'s…..
1. i have straight/slightly wavy, short/medium, EXTREMELY oily hair. which one is best?
2. i have really bad chapped lips i put on chapstick over 40 times daily (im not joking) if i dont put it on or wake up in the night the crack and bleed. they hurt really bad. i use the only type of chapstick that has ever worked 4 me…carmex…..plz help me!
3. i sit next to the most amazing guy in math class and he asked me 4 my # and i gave it 2 him and we text all the time. also during class we talk about everything and laugh. i like him but i dont know if i should make a move….advice?

Hey girl,

1. I'd try the paddle brush or wide-toothed comb! The paddle brush will prob be best for ya.

2. Ouch! Carmex is one of the best kinds. There's also Vaseline for intense chapped lips (not sure what it's called but it's much more powerful than the usual lip balm) that you could try. Remember to put it on all the time, and try a balm with SPF if you go in any sunlight. If it's still unbearable, don't be afraid to ask your doc! They can recommend a stronger fix.

3. It sounds like he's totally into you. Guys usually don't ask for your number, talk to you all the time, etc. if they don't feel something for ya! Ask if he's want to work on homework or grab a snack after school together, then work from there Smile Good luck!
Lauren C.

by Emerck on 4/4/2011 9:15:46 PM

MODMODMOD! MOD!!!!!!
okay, so i have a weird type of hair. it;s a little longer than shoulder-length, very, very thick, and straight with a tiny little flip inwards at the ends. Okay, so my hair is super thick. I wash my hair every day, which is what i am supposed to do. but i wash it thoroughly and rinse it for at least fifteen minutes in cool water. only on special occasions do i blow dry my hair. the rest of the time i air-dry it. and 2 hours after i get it all dried and straight and perfect, my hair is worse and more oily than before! what can i do about it? it is really annoying and my mom is always on my case for it. is there a special brush, shampoo, or haircut i can get to make it less thick and oily? oh, and i have tried about every shampoo and conditioner in the world to fix this. HELP! PLEASE!

Bonjour chicky! It's actually washing your hair everyday which is causing the oil build-up. Every time you shampoo your hair, you rid it of its natural oils and coats it with unnecessary chemicals. Of course you have to shower everyday, so just make sure you only shampoo your hair every other day to make sure your hair doesn't lose all its valuable oils. Same with conditioner. Use a light conditioner every other day or just apply it to the ends of your hair where it needs it most - make sure you use less very little (about the size of a quarter). Good luck!

Jessica W.

by koolkat21 on 4/4/2011 8:53:17 PM

Finally! I know which brush I can use for my hair!!!! Thx!!!!

by matyprincess on 4/4/2011 8:32:30 PM

hey i have short, wavy/straight, thin, VERY OILY hair…which is best???

by Emerck on 4/4/2011 6:30:42 PM

modmodmodmodmod!!! I have really straight and longish hair. But how can i make my hair wavy or curly?? Ive tried scrunching it and its not the looks that i want, and it goes back to being straight at the end of the day. Also when i use a curling iron, it goes back to being straight again. What can i do to make it wavy or curly?? Thanks

Hi girlie. Try to make sure you don't wash it directly before you use a curling iron. Wait a day because the oil that comes into your hair helps keep the curl in. Also, try using hairspray to secure it in place.
Marly Z.

by monkeyloverdk on 4/4/2011 4:55:01 PM

Thank you SOOOOO Much!!! this helped me soooo much!! you deserve a medal! Smile

by purple_rainbow98 on 4/4/2011 1:25:07 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for putting up this article. Smile

by loveforever21 on 4/4/2011 12:40:21 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I had been texting this guy for about two weeks and we had been flirting andstuff so I could see us maybe dating in the future then yesterday one of my good friends told me he had been "talking" to another girl I am really hurt and don't know what to do.....

Hey girlie. If he's talking to another girl then you should move on. You are too good for him. You will find someone else who is way better. Good luck.
Marly Z.

by Bballer51 on 4/4/2011 12:34:54 PM

heeey, i use a paddle brush and y hair is long n strait!!!

by soccerlover99 on 4/4/2011 12:13:44 PM

I have short wavy/curly, and thick hair! which I am supposed to take??

by topchef88 on 4/4/2011 10:04:22 AM

mod*mod*mod*mod
how about long thick wavy hair? which one would be the best for me? and what does kinky mean?

Hey girl! I would stick with the same brush for thick hair. That should be the best! Kinky means very very curly. Kind of like spirals. Hope this helps!

Caitlin F.

by ninadasiy on 4/4/2011 10:00:27 AM

MODMODMODMODMOD
Okay so i have this friend, who now likes me and he told me a few days ago. i did kinda like him but now i dont and he still likes me. i said i wouldnt go out with him because i like this other guy too so then he got all sad. he like kept asking me out and texting me over and over again and it started getting annoying, thats kinda why i stopped liking him. i dont like him anymore, but idk how to tell him, cause then he's gonna get sad, and it might ruin our friendship. please help? thanks Smile

Hey chica! Sitches like this can be tough, but honesty is the best policy. Leading him on will do more harm to your friendship then telling him the truth. Just let him know that you're flattered he's interested in you that way, but you would rather just stay friends. You don't see it working out as a couple, and you don't want that to get in the way of the friendship. Let him know that his consistency with asking may push you away, too. I hope this helps Smile Good luck!

Caitlin F.

by i<3shopping on 4/4/2011 9:53:59 AM

my hair is thick and wavy and to my shoulders. so i guess out of the shower i'll use the wide toothed comb and then the styling brush ? Smile

by ValShmal98 on 4/4/2011 8:57:51 AM

Thanx, but this doesn't really help me. You left off one key, but rare, hair type: MINE! I don't have any single one of those, but rather a combination of thin hair AND curly/kinky/wavy. On different days my hair will be curly, kinky, or wavy, but it is ALWAYS thin. MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD Could you hook me up with a brush that treats ALL of these "symptoms"? Thanx for your help and consideration!

by Emerald_Sparkles on 4/4/2011 8:39:48 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD,
Hi! I have wavy AND thick hair, so which brush am I supposed to use? Thanks!

Hey girlie! I would stick with the brush for thick hair!

Caitlin F.

by izzyrox7198 on 4/4/2011 7:46:38 AM

I have curly hair and I heard somewhere that I was supposed to use paddle brushes (when wet cause there's no brushing my hair when it dries all curly) but I definitely want to try that comb :]

by osbuckigurl on 4/4/2011 7:28:15 AM

i hav long, thin hair, and i use those exact brushes! Smile

FIRST COMMENT! (i think)