1 HOURS AGO Snag top notch internship advice from GL on Aug 5 at the @InternQueen party in DC! RSVP right here: http://t.co/c0d0Hs8heN

2 HOURS AGO How *not* to spazz out on your biffles (even when they deserve it!) http://t.co/P9Zuw063mu

3 HOURS AGO He canceled on her to hit the movies with someone else–what would you do? http://t.co/iquGB2KiUL

COMMENTS

My mom read my diary without permission!

I don’t want her going through my stuff. How can I get her to stop?

Mod Mod Mod
Im in love with this guy but I can't talk to him because he's the most popular guy at our school. I don't know what to do. I don't think I'm ready to talk to him but I want to let him know I'm an option.

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by 4202_luver on 5/20/2011 8:11:39 PM

Mod Mod Mod My parents wont let me be the way I really am. They always want me to wear dresses and skirts, have my hair proper, and they wont let me do things I want, even if it's just wanting to go to the mall with my friends. That's not who I am- I like skinnies and shorts, tanktops and music T's- I don't care about how my hair looks. It's fine already, curly and down. And I am interested in punk music, but they wont accept that. Mom thinks I'm turning into a criminal for even going shopping at Hot Topic! How can I express to my mom that I am who I am, and I don't want her controlling it?

Wow, I'm sorry that it seems your mom isn't accepting you for who you are.  I think you should try to talk to her about it, sometime one-on-one.  This article has tips for that whole process:  http://www.girlslife.com/post/2011/04/25/How-to-talk-to-parents-about-tough-stuff.aspx.  Let her know that your fashion choices are more about expressing yourself - not about being a criminal!  Try to be calm as you express your opinion.  You should be free to dress how you choose, but maybe you guys could work out a compromise - like, you'll wear dresses to church and family events, but at school and on the weekends it's up to you.  If that doesn't help, consider chatting with a counselor at school you trust - they may be able to give you some tips for approaching the sitch.  xoxo

Marie H.

by TheSilentBallet on 5/16/2011 6:41:45 PM

Mod
My Mom Smokes. She quit about 5 years ago but started again about 2 years later because her work started again. I hate thinking about the risk of what can happen, to her later. So sometimes i tell what can happen, and other people do too. But when i tell her she says ohh Shut up. It makes me sad, and i want her to quit again since its a bad habit.. Also she says she'll quit over the summer, but she said that last year too. What should i do, to make me less upset, or help convince her to stop.?

Hey girlie! There's only so much you can do to get her to quit, and it sounds like you've done all you can. I would just suggest that you keep bugging her about it, explaining how scared it makes you and that you're worried about her long-term health. Good luck!

Katie B.

by abbygirl12 on 5/16/2011 4:51:49 PM

thanks mod Smile

by smileysevvie on 5/15/2011 6:01:07 PM

Do you need advice on ANYTHING? I promise I'll try to give my best and honest answer even if I haven't been through it! I'm on here at least once a day so I'll respond ASAP. Nothing is too personal(:

by ilovepiano15 on 5/15/2011 4:26:59 PM

MOD MOD My mom gives me a lot of freedom when it comes to being able to do things some of my friends cant and she doesnt monitor everything I do. She is a great mom but she is talking to one of my friends mom who is super strict to the point where my friend feels it isnt normal. She cant have a computer or tv in her room like I can and she cant txt like the rest of us and isnt allowed to have a bf or even watch certain programs and movies. I am concerned my mom talking to her mom might make things more strict for me, is there anything I can say or should I just wait and see what happens? Im not perfect so I am not going to say I have done everything right and I do what most of my friends do, most of it good but some of it not, so am I just being paranoid? Any suggestions?

Hey chica, I can see why that would make you nervous, but I think it'll be okay.  Since your mom sounds really great, why not just chat with her about it?  Do it sometime when it's just the two of you, and she's not distracted or busy.  Try not to get defensive.  Just let her know what you told me - that you really appreciate how she is trusting of you, but you've been worried that things will change now that she's talking to your friend's mom.  Hopefully clearing the air will take away your worries, and bring you and your mom to a shared understanding.  xoxo

Marie H.

by luckykel on 5/15/2011 3:47:00 PM

MOD!!!!! there's this guy that i'm friends with who seemed like a really nice guy and for a long time i thought he liked me (i'm pretty sure he still does) and i kiiiinda liked him, but now he's turning into kind of a butt. we made plans to hang out twice over the last couple months but both times he blew me off without telling me until i asked as soon as i was already out the door and i'm still trying to decide if his excuses are valid. he talks alot and it's mostly about himself, and it seems like he never listens to what i have to say. he doesn't seem to care about anything. he gets like D's in every class and doesn't care. i told him in the days leading up to our school art show that i worked my butt off on my artwork and i was so proud of it, and when he had the chance to see it he chose to play call of duty instead. then when i texted him that i got first place, he didn't respond. he's just being kind of a butt and i'm getting tired of him. idk what to do...

Hey chica, Of course it's up to you, but from what you're saying it sounds like this guy isn't treating you the way you want to be treated.  Save your energy (and emotions) for art... and looking for a new guy who cares about you and is there for you when he says he will be.  xoxo

Marie H.

by smileysevvie on 5/15/2011 1:27:00 PM

How do you know when a mod responds to your question?

hey! you'll see it posted Smile
Helen S.

by xxcheer92 on 5/15/2011 12:29:49 AM

well if i were you i would step up to the plate and ask your mom politely and say"mom this is my dairy where i can express my feelings" and hopefully she would understand how you feel

by love me44 on 5/14/2011 3:39:57 PM