6 HOURS AGO #BookClub: A lucky batch of book-lovin babes will score a copy of #Cinder to kick off our new book club. Enter here: http://t.co/UymDNwBfVb

7 HOURS AGO 7 more reasons we love hair chalk—get a week's worth of stellar styles: http://t.co/p7KSrefjYG

7 HOURS AGO The challenge is on, stylish sweeties! Enter the @mkc_couture #StyleSelfie contest: http://t.co/Ufc33qWyNE pic.twitter.com/FgoCyUPQST

COMMENTS

Brighten a bad relationship with your parents

Can’t wait for the family feud to end? We’ve got seven surefire ways to sweeten your sour sitch.

Modmodmod!
My mom has been stressed out lately because of my grandma dying and all( I am pretty stressed too) and she snaps back at me quickly. Sometimes I just brush it off and remind myself that she's just in a lot of pain, but sometimes I snap back at her just because I am sick and tired of all this moping around. Do you have any advice for something I could do the change the mood of everything going on? Things have been difficult and I'm not sure how to deal with everything.

It sounds like there isn't really much that you can do.  It's a very tricky topic and I know how stressful it can be, but sometime all the can heal the issues is time.  You and your mother both need time to deal with everything that is happening in your own ways.  You can try to lighten the mood a bit by gathering the fam for a comedy movie night or anything lighthearted?

Jordan S.

by mimi_girl12 on 12/6/2011 4:27:54 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!! My mom and I get in fights, multiple times a day. I'm getting scared she doesn't love me because I get mad at her for being mean to me. I don't know what to do, and I just wnat it to stop.... Please help me!

Hey chica, aww I'm pretty sure your mom is feeling the same way. Sit down and talk to her about it. If both you guys discuss what's going on, you'll be able to stop the arguments. And don't feel bad, every girl gets into fights with their moms, you just gotta work it out. Hope this helps!

Lynae P.

by pokemon_girl11 on 10/22/2011 5:10:07 PM

My stepdad and I don't get along. He trys to act like hes my dad and gives me commands and yells at me. He is mean to my dog, and he is SUPER selfish he doesn,t even care how my moms day was. Right when he gets home he just starts talking aboust his work for I don't know how long. I feel depressed all the time when he's home because when he's home it's like I'm not. Every day when I'm with my mom I hide in my room and cry. I don't know what to do. He doesn't even care about my mom hardly becuse they can have a dinner date planed and he is like an hour and a half late or when they have anything pplaned really. I can't talk to my mom because I can't stand to hurt her feelings because I just want to live with my dad but theres another problem... my dads alcoholic and he can get weird. I'm torn in half an either way I'm still not happy.
I NEED HELP.

Hey girl,

Unfortunately, the decision to be with your stepdad is your mom's alone - whether or not you think he mistreats her or doesn't care enough, they are together. And they're together for the "long haul" too since they're married. Instead of talking to your mom and being like "your husband is a horrible person," try talking to her about how you've been feeling lately. Tell her you feel like you don't exist in the household and that your thoughts/wants don't matter. Ask her if you could maybe schedule mother-daughter time every week so you can reconnect and have good convos with her again. You don't have to get along with your stepdad, but you should accept that he is probably going to be around for good - so make the most of your situation by not letting him bring you down or cut you off from your mom, someone you should love and feel comfortable with <3
Lauren C.

by cinder3lla on 9/9/2011 9:53:28 PM

MOD
Ok so this isn't about my mom and dad it's about my Grandparents. Well you see my grandma's very very controlling. You do what she says or else... Then my grandpa he always corrects you and makes you do what he wants. So you understand how I can get annoyed. Well my brothers worse. I normally just take it and listen because I don't like being rude to them but he stands up for what he wants and doesn't always let them get their way. Well we were on vacation with them all week. So they acted the way they always do and so every day my brother and I were always grumpy and annoyed. But on the last day we went to our uncle's house. (our grandpas bro) and hes really fun and awesome and doesn't like them either so we were happy around him and exited then when we left our grandpa started acting rude to us all the way home to our house. He told our mom and we realized he was acting like that out of jealousy.I feel bad now. I thought about e-mailing them. What should I do???

Hey girlie!

I think emailing them is a great idea.  A call is even better if you can, it's more personal.  Go with a simple "thank you for having us" and tell them that you had so much fun and how it was nice to see them.  Good luck!
Jordan S.

by mca123 on 9/2/2011 11:57:47 AM

MOD MOD MOD My Mom and I get in arguments all of the time, over little things too. I really really want to get rid of these arguements because they cause alot of stress, and when school starts soon, I won't be able to handle all of the stress. Today my Mom and I argued over wheather I can or can't get a new rug in my room, because my current one is stained and worn and ugly. I want to get rid of it badly, and test out the hardwood flooring beneath the rug. My Mom keeps making up excuses, like "We just came back from vacation" or "NOt right now I'm busy". I don't mean to sound annoying but I want a new rug, or just out with the current one! (Thanks for responding to my very long qauetions!!)

Hey girly,
You just need to be calm and try to bring it up when she isn't busy. If she tells you that she can't talk, ask her when would be a good time and wait until that time. If you act mature and calm about the whole thing, then she will too. Good Luck!

Catie C.

by funkypunky10 on 8/12/2011 12:30:33 PM

*MOD MOD* I used to be a "Daddy's girl." I'm 12, almost 13, and things have not been going well between me and him.
My Mom and I get along great now, and before we were just "standard." He only wants to take my 7 year old brother out places, he thinks Im too sensitive, I don't see him much except on weekends and i really miss the way it used to be. His temper is very short and he has high blood pressure. His face is always red and hes always so stressed. he said he has more work to do than he has days. He leaves at 4 in the morning and comes home at 7 at night. Hes so tired and falls asleep before 9pm. I dont see him in the morning b/c he leaves so early and I don't see him at night b/c I have gymnastics 4 nights a week from 5-9:30. He'll yell at you for every little thing you do wrong and I really miss him and his past personality. I still love him and I know he loves me but he doesn't know how much he doesnt show it. Can you please help?

Hey girl,

It really just sounds like he's very stressed from work and he's taking the tension out on you. Try doing something really nice for him on the weekend when you see him, like make him breakfast in bed or make him a picture frame and put a picture of you two inside of it. Once he sees how much effort you're putting into trying to make the relationship better, he'll wanna put the effort in to. Good luck! x0x0
Casey L.

by gymnastqueen00 on 8/2/2011 1:19:13 PM

Mod I wanted to say thanks for the advice. I have talked to my mom for years on how mean she is. And my mom is sick, so we need her to cook and help clean because my mom is a type of sick that can kill you. It puts her in agony, cramps, and much more. I have talked to my grandmom and my mom has even gotten nasty with her language towards my grandmom. But my grandmom just won't stop. My mom says that she finds pleasure in picking on the innocent, like kids. So my mom is always there. ALso my dad isn't in the picture so her and my uncle help that is about all we have.

by PlatinumDove on 7/28/2011 2:01:20 PM

Mod Mod Mod my grandmother is so mean to me and has been since I was 4 yrs old. When my younger cousin and I spent the nights over her house every other weekend, is when it all started. Mod she had done so much to me and last night my mom went so off on her. Because she is also a trouble maker and she hurts peoples feelings. And messes up families by lying and acting like she is so innocent! Mod i was always a great child and i still am now she lives with me! It is a living nightmare! My mom knows about her horrible personality, but it took my mom a while to see how she really is. And it is just horrible. My mom loves me it is just my grandmom. But my grandmom is only my grandmom because of marriage. I am not related to her. And because she felt i was better looking than my cousin she mistreated me! She actually said that to my face. Mod help me please i need relief from all of her nonsense. thanks

Hey girl,

I'm so sorry that your grandma's so mean to you. I would say that it's best to just stay away from her, and hope that one day soon she'll realize how she's hurting your feelings. You could try to have a talk with her, or have your mom tell her how much she's hurting you, also. Good luck! x0x0
Casey L.

by PlatinumDove on 7/28/2011 9:44:01 AM

MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!! my parents are divorced because my dad used to abuse my mom and little sister and brother, but he still has partial custody of us. I'm now 13 yrs old and I'm starting to see some of his past tendencies. For instants he and younger brother fight over silly things but my dad screams at him like he used to do to my mother, but once it got to the point that my 10 yr old brother called the cops and so did I because my dad grabbed my brother(which on the police recording they heard him admit to it.)I ended up going back with my mom, but my dad called her and told her he'd call the police and have her arrested bc she was in violation of a court order. Its my moms time now but if i don't see my dad on his next time my mom could be put in prison. please help, i don't want to go back, I'mm scared... what can i do?

Hey girl. I'm really sorry you're going through a hard time but know that there's always help out there. For questions like these, it would probably be a good idea for you to call 1-800-4-A-CHILD. It's a confidential hotline that is dedicated helping kids at risk. Don't be afraid to call, they'll definitely be able to help you out. Hang in there though, everything will get better in due time.

kara g.

by EmilyRose101 on 7/22/2011 4:15:06 PM

MODMODMOD!!!!!!!
I've been in some fights with my mom lately. It's because apparently we're having some financial problems, y'know, and my mom has been stressed. I'm trying to be better about it, and trying to get some $$$, but she's still stressed. My dad's a little bit better, but he could blow at any time, so I try to steer clear of both of them. I feel as though they're going to crack and something bad will happen. I haven't really told anyone how I feel. I have a pyschiatrist (spell check) for my stressed and active mind, but I haven't seen them in a while. Any advice???
~Love, Me~

Hey babe! It's always tough when you fight with your parents, but the added stress of financial problems makes it so much worse. I suggest talking to your parents more about how you feel. The next time you're in a fight with your mom just stop and say how much you dislike fighting with her. Apologize for anything, even if you still think she's wrong. That could lead into a conversation about how you know she's really stressed and want to do anything to help. Good luck! xoxo
Jess W.