1 HOURS AGO Happy birthday, #Virgo! See what the stars have in store this week: http://t.co/wZe6T0EWcq

12 HOURS AGO It's not the @ddlovato + @joejonas reunion that we've been waiting for, but...still, big news for #demi and a #jobro: http://t.co/CRvVglpjZb

13 HOURS AGO Still trying to figure out the whole #iwokeuplikethis thing? Try our 4 secrets for natural beauty and wake up pretty: http://t.co/GEEl1Sjy74

COMMENTS

5 rules for a fab room

Wanna take your room from blah to brilliant? Read on, babe!

hey, so my room is very hard to work with. It's on the 2nd floor so one of my walls is just i giant slope where the roof is. i only have one normal wall but its taken up by my giant annoying bunk bed. (i dont need the bunk bed, i want a normal bed.) I REALLY with my room was an actual square but that would mean altering the roof. i cant do anything with my room and it really small. any ideas???

Hey girlie,

You can't do anything about the shape of your room, but you can totally work with it to make it seem bigger! First off, try asking mom or dad about that bunk bed. Tell them it's worked really well up until now but you'd love to do something a little different since you don't actually need the bunk bed anymore. Ask them if they can disassemble it so the top is off or, if possible, look into getting another bed. (That's kinda pricey though, so try to understand if they say no.) Then try moving it around a little to see what gives you the most space! Dress up the room with a rug, new paint, posters or photos on the walls. A strand of twinkle lights could give the room a more romantic glow. You might be kinda stuck since you can't do a LOT to improve the room, but you can totally make it feel more like home with some personal touches! <3
Lauren C.

by starrywolf on 1/21/2012 10:10:22 PM

hey girlies!!! CHECK OUT MY CLUBS OF ART, ALL BOUT YA, AND MY SUSMITA24 BOUT SKOOL STUDIES HOBBIES, ETC!!!! pplz joinnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>Frown >Frown >Frown >Frown >Frown >Frown >Frown

by Susmita24 on 1/19/2012 6:25:58 PM

MOD!
I'm moving into a new home with ugly beige walls. I love bright vibrant and pastel and animal print and pink but my mom won't let me paint! PLUS!!! I have BROWN furniture and I want white and my mom like hates all my DIY stuff because it doesn't have the right room look. Supposedly. She hates me fussing about my room! How can I make it cute?

Hey girlie,

First off, try pushing for a new paint color. Your parents obviously have a lot on their plate right now - moving into a new home is a BIG task! But a new coat of paint in a normal-but-bright color could really make an improvement. Try going with them to Home Depot (or another home store) and looking at paint chips. Don't pick anything crazy, like neon yellow or dark green, which will scare them - a vibrant ocean blue or light dusty pink would be best. You can show them your plan and honestly tell them that this is what you really want. Be mature and calm about telling them what it means to you, how it will improve your room, how much you'll appreciate it, etc. You gotta pick your battles - and the paint is a great one to fight. That way, your brown furniture will seem less drab against a bright and happy wall! Once it's painted, you can use your allowance/savings to check out garage sales - you could find fun lamps/candlesticks/frames that, with a coat of spray paint, could be totally refreshed! But the key thing here is to respect mom's wishes and let her know you totally understand where she's coming from. (She'll like that.) Be on her side and ask her to compromise - you won't bother her about the furniture any more if you could only paint your walls! That way, she might reconsider Smile
Lauren C.

by izzytheswiftie on 12/4/2011 4:54:44 AM

modmodmod
my room is so tiny and i have huge furniture and a full size bed which makes it really tightly packed. i only have enough space to walk without bumping into stuff. how can i have a cute room with barely any space???

Hey girl,

You could create more space by asking your parents to help you put shelves on your walls or in your closet. You can also decorate with posters or a rug - those things don't require extra room.

Meghan D.

by funnybunny24 on 8/15/2011 11:41:44 AM

hi my mom does like me to paint my bedroom and i just got rid of alot of m old baby stuff and i want a fabulous chic cool girl room and my favorite colors are blue,zebra, and silver......... do u hav any ideas of how i can change my boring room into a fabulous hang out????
*i also like paris,fance*

by fashionistastar7 on 8/4/2011 11:26:32 AM

i'm doing a vintage fleur de lis pink theme but my walls are purple from when i was litle. what color would look good if i paint the walls again?

Hey girl,

A light yellow, periwinkle, or light blue are all really pretty. x0x0
Casey L.

by fern09 on 8/2/2011 1:22:49 PM

This is really helpful! thnx GL!

by girlyschoolchik on 8/1/2011 3:49:13 PM

Redoing most of my room. I decided I should keep my old wall color (blue) and made my room theme around that (pink, blue, and green!!) this way we wouldn't have to spend more money on paint and on time!

by ShineShiara on 8/1/2011 12:51:14 AM

i've been thinking about re-doing my room but i dont know what color? also, these tips really arent that helpful =/

by filaluvva on 7/22/2011 7:02:14 PM

MOD! I share a bedroom with my sister Frown So whenever I mention "change up our room" my sister wants nop part of it and likes it the way it is. She never cleans up her laundry and leaves her bed a mess. We can never agree on the same wall color. Have any advice?

Hey chica. Rather than telling your sister that you want to redo your bathroom in general, give her a specific way that you think could brighten up the room. For example, tell her exactly what color you would want to paint it or what new designs would look great in there. Just make sure to stay calm and don't yell cause after all she is your sister!

kara g.

by chocolateworld12 on 7/22/2011 11:00:45 AM

This is super-helpful! I'm about to re-do my room with a sort of under-water serine feel...thanks GL!

by hanabanana97 on 7/17/2011 10:38:00 PM

teehee horseback riding ribbons... i guess i got that rule down good!

by fudgemonkey on 7/11/2011 8:12:45 PM

I want to make my room look bigger. also the colors are dull so i want to make it look bright and happy. Looks like i have a busy summerSmile

by epic3:) on 6/24/2011 10:22:26 AM

i make signs 4 my room

by jesusfreaksaroundme on 6/21/2011 1:23:53 PM

I'm really crafty and most of the decorations in my room I made myself! Some ideas are:
paper-covered canvases- get some thick canvases at a craft store and cover with coordinating scrapbook paper. Decorate with ribbons, buttons, etc.
DIY magnet boards- buy a sheet of metal at a craft store or hardware store that's magnetic, then stretch cute matching fabric over the front and hot glue! decorate with magnets made from buttons, bottle caps, etc.
throw pillows- buy a cheap pillow in any color, then decorate it with fabric. if you can't sew, then you can even make some with hot glue! try looking online for tutorials
and finally you can just paint shelves, picture frames, even chairs or sidetables the same color, or cover pencil holders, jewelry boxes, or magnets with the same scrapbook paper to tie it all together!
<3 thecupcakequeen

by thecupcakequeen on 6/13/2011 11:03:45 PM

i want to decorate my room in a kind of beachy theme. the colors will be white (like furniture), aqua blue, and hot pink! Laughing

by pinkandlime on 6/12/2011 4:14:34 PM

In the cut the clutter pharagraph it says toss loss barrettes and hairties instead of loose.

by BestSpinner on 6/9/2011 8:42:26 PM

I want to redo my room all by myself so that is my summer prodject thanx!Smile

by sabers13! on 6/9/2011 1:55:57 PM

MODMODMODMODMOD im going to a baseball game (just a little leauge one) today with my friends. its superr hot out where i live right now, humid, high temps, all of that... so what should i wear? i was thinking my favorite short shorts, and a tee. what do you think ? thanks mod, please answer.. (:

Hey girly,
That outfit sounds perfect for the hot weather! Have fun!

Catie C.

by soccergirl1414 on 6/8/2011 3:57:09 PM

MOD MOD MOD i have to tell my mom about something that happened at my friends house (it's a longggg story) and i don't know how to say it!one of my friends (e) lied when she was little and everyone thinks that she still lies so did me and my other friend and i don't know how to say that to my mom! my mom is the kind of my that will freak on me and want me to call and apologize and we all already made up and everything. ALSO i can't stop thinking about it! and it stinks because i want to have fun and stop thinking about the bad stuff that happened! thanks Smile

Hey girly,
When you decide to talk about this to your mom, act like it's no big deal. The more you act like it's a big deal, the more your mom will freak. If she tries to make you call and apologize or anything like that, calmly tell her that that's pointless because everything is all worked out and anything else would just be overkill. Good Luck!

Catie C.

by Gigilove321 on 6/8/2011 3:15:45 PM

My room has no rules at all Laughing of course, I clean it when I really need to, but nothing more.. (:

by fory on 6/8/2011 12:41:32 PM

MOD MOD MOD I want to redo my room. I want to get new furniture and have it painted. Do you have any ideas on how to earn money? -Thanks Smile

Hey girly,
Try babysitting or helping people with yardwork for some extra cash.

Catie C.

by rosesong on 6/8/2011 10:59:29 AM

my rooms real plain nd m getin real bored lukin @ d same ol' same room....ne advise...? lol.....

by Amber_On_Fire on 6/8/2011 5:32:42 AM

My rules r stay organized and be creative plus have fun with it!

by kaylarocks2000 on 6/8/2011 1:12:34 AM

My rules for a fab room is: STAY ORGANIZED!!!

by oceanlover69 on 6/8/2011 12:25:02 AM

MOD! how do i keep my desk in my room from beeing a mess????!!!!

Hey girl, it's all about stepping back and cleaning it a bit each day. Make a point to clean 15 minutes all day. Little challenges like that led to big impulsiveness.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by May9 on 6/7/2011 11:05:35 PM

WOW! i hope this will help keep my room clean! lol i can do this ova the summer!hope it helps it stay clean! i really needed this THANKS GL!!! MOD! how do i keep my desk in my room from beeing a mess????!!!!

by May9 on 6/7/2011 10:26:17 PM

Wow thanks i can do this ova the summer! i NEED to organize my room so bad u dont even no b4 i cleande it it waz a pig sty! i hope this will help! MOD! how do i keep my desk in my room cleaned off????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

by May9 on 6/7/2011 10:20:19 PM

Mod!
How can I redo my room without painting walls, spending much money, and almost completely DIY?

Hey girl, I'd say posters help or photo collages. Make a collage from old magazines of you and your friend to hang up.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by CherryGirl316 on 6/7/2011 10:06:00 PM

Mod!
Okay, so want my room to look more fab. But my house is rented, so I can't paint or put things on the wall that could damage it. Also, I don't want to spend much money redoing my room. Help!

Hey girl, treat it like a college kid would a dorm room: get adhesive tape that's easily peeled off. An instant style trick: hang paper lanterns. It gives your room an easy chic oriental vibe, too.

xoxo

Alyssa B. Alyssa B.

by CherryGirl316 on 6/7/2011 9:09:39 PM

MOD! i am 100% sure i want to break up with him, i just don't know how to without really hurting him, any suggestions?

Tell him that you care about him, but would like to go back to being friends.

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by geckocrazy123 on 6/7/2011 8:58:13 PM

MOD! my boyfriend who lives in a different state than me is way too clingy and wants to talk to me 24/7 he has a bad home life and uses my love to fill in for his neglect. i cant take his clingyness anymore and i dont know how to cut it off nicely? but im 100% sure i don't want to be with him anymore please help!!!

Hey girlie--you need to figure out how you feel 100% before you make any serious decision.

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by geckocrazy123 on 6/7/2011 8:38:52 PM

mod
you guys always give us ideas for these "fab rooms" but these are way too high priced and totally far off from reality. is there any way you can tell us where to get the best deals. it isn't exactly like sponsering, it is helping us, which is what a mod does, isn't it?

Hey girlie--the mods don't write the articles, so we aren't in control of what's written on the site. We simply make sure that the girls' comments are appropriate and safe and answer questions.

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by riel5 on 6/7/2011 8:30:53 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!
Hey! What are some cute ways for a guy to notice you or to impress him. I like this guy but I don't want to come off too, too sweet or obnoxious. Thanks!!

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by treble_clef998 on 6/7/2011 7:34:34 PM

my room is like beach themed. not hawaiian, but like a california beach themed Smile

by oceanlover69 on 6/7/2011 7:27:31 PM

JOIN MYY CLUB Smile
im Dr. Sam i am like doctor phil but im a girl and i focus on tweens and teens come join my club
its called Dr.Sam Laughing
i give advice on......
boys
elementary school
middle school
drama
family issues
bullying
and much much more
come check me out Smile

by sammy8550 on 6/7/2011 6:49:20 PM

ahackbardt - Awsome! Mind if I use that idea for a bed? That's so cool! Were thiknig about re-doing my room. Great time to put this forum up!

by Cra-Z-Brunette on 6/7/2011 6:12:31 PM

For my room, I use this really cool Victorian looking design on sheets and my lamp. But I think the secret of my room looking kinda big is my bed.
My dad built it with three drawers on each side, book shelves in the headboard, and some small cubbies at the foot of the bed. I stuff all of my books, video games, art-stuff, and random trinkets in them and viola~ no clutter and instant space!!

by ahackbardt on 6/7/2011 6:02:16 PM

the room in the pic is sickk Smile , my room is hot pink with a yellow strip at the top and all my furniture is white and i have picture frames of me and my friends and my comforter is thaaa bomb

by Maddyrox92 on 6/7/2011 4:49:11 PM

3 words... Colourful, neat and YOU!

by juicyglitt27 on 6/7/2011 4:38:39 PM

I think every room needs a bright comfy chair of some sort. It should be a compatible color with the room of course.
Add a trendy light to add more style to your room as well. Casey L.

by nutmeg22 on 6/7/2011 4:08:42 PM

I think everything in your room should be colors that go well with each other. I can't stand it when someone has a bright neon bedding and then their walls are this completely clashing color!

by puppylover1152 on 6/7/2011 2:33:08 PM