13 HOURS AGO #BookClub: A lucky batch of book-lovin babes will score a copy of #Cinder to kick off our new book club. Enter here: http://t.co/UymDNwBfVb

15 HOURS AGO 7 more reasons we love hair chalk—get a week's worth of stellar styles: http://t.co/p7KSrefjYG

15 HOURS AGO The challenge is on, stylish sweeties! Enter the @mkc_couture #StyleSelfie contest: http://t.co/Ufc33qWyNE pic.twitter.com/FgoCyUPQST

COMMENTS

Demystifying skin types

Oily, dry or combo—do you know what type of skin you have? Find out now!

I have combination skin and was wondering if there is a combination skin facial moisturizer with SPF that is reasonably priced. If not, then do I put a facial moisturizer and sunscreen over it? Also, can you specificly name a combination skin lotion and cleanser that is effecient? Btw, do combination skin lotions turn your skin into a normal skin type and gets rid of those dot things on your face? Thanks!!! Sorry to take up your time

Hey babe,

Honestly, a combination specific product does nothing for your skin in the long run.  Only clinical options tend to do that.

Combination is normal skin, by the way, chica.  Combination is the middle-ground between dry and oily skin.  There's variations, some combination skin is essentially fine all around being taken care of properly, but some has dry or oily areas around places like the T-zone. So, what I'm trying to get across is that you can get away with using most products.

I will point out that you most likely want a gentle cleanser, something along the lines of Philosophy's Purity (the fancier) or Cetaphil's gentle cleanser (the cheaper).

The dots are blackheads.  Blackheads unfortunately never fully go away.  You can buy strips to deal with them, but those are only temporary and they'll come back within a few days.  Blackheads are just essentially dirty pores.
Jordan S. Jordan S.

by azuki on 5/23/2013 10:43:21 PM

Hey I have really shiny skin and my pores show and my neutrogena face wash isn't working....... Do you recommend a facewash/scrub that works? Even something from my kitchen???? Please respond!

by Pinkguitarperson on 7/6/2012 12:07:15 AM

MOD!!! MOD!!! MOD!!!
I AM CONFUSED ABOUT MY SKIN TYPE:
Well whenever I have a zit I use Shaving Cream For woman
And it always goes away!
Is it OK to use shaving cream on your face
and is shaving cream some type of face cleaner?

Hey girly,

While shaving cream does dry out zits, it can also dry out your skin so much that it produces more oil and actually gives you more zits, so I don't suggest using it. Try using a solution with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. x0x0
Casey L.

by selenagomezitup on 7/20/2011 1:31:54 PM

I have acne on my chest and shoulders. Plus i have a bad habit of poping and picking.

by flacucha25 on 7/18/2011 3:04:02 PM

MOD:MOD i have red dots under my arm! Its not a razr burn wht else could it be?

It may be a rash--try talking to your parent or doctor to be sure

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by juliajellybeans on 7/12/2011 6:00:12 PM

MOD MOD Hi Smile Okay so i have acne its not that bad but i would like to have nice clear skin. I use Dove soap sensitive skin bar soap to wash my face befor bed and then i use Aveeno face mosturizer. My face is not clearing up! I know its a part of being a teen. My mom said that the Dove soap is the best thing to use on my face. I read that you aren't supposed to use soap on your face is that true? Is Dove soap what i should be using? Or should i try like a face wash? If so what kind do you recomend i have more oily skin i think but i'm not for sure. Oh and should i keep using the mosturizer? Sorry its so long and sorry for so many questions! Thanks so much! Smile Smile

Hey girl. There are differing opinions on what should be used on your face. This is what I personally use: http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P55427&categoryId=S15135&shouldPaginate=true. I would see a derm though!

mary h.

by luvpink11 on 7/12/2011 1:56:32 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!
Ok, I have a bunch of long hair on my arms. It's not dark though, it is light blonde, but it still makes me uncomfortable because it is so long. I don't want to shave it, and was wondering what kind of alternatives to shaving there might be? Thanks!

Hey girl. Shaving your arms can lead to serious stuble. Here are some ideas for non-shaving methods: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2011/02/09/how-do-i-get-rid-of-arm-hair.aspx

mary h.

by RaMay442 on 7/5/2011 2:37:58 AM

MOD!
please help! i have a lot of black heads on my nose. if i keep popping them & clearing them out & then use a facial that shrinks pores should that help them go away? thanks (:

Use a cleanser with salicylic acid Smile

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by purpleoctupus on 7/1/2011 9:27:38 PM

so i have both oily and dry skin and i've gone through so many diffrent moisturizers that never seemed to treat both until i found aveeno ultra calming moistrizer! it works mircales

by lucy123 on 7/1/2011 9:19:22 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD Okay ,, so i don't really break out on my face (guessing bc i wash it) but lately i've been breaking out on my chest and back. I just started using stuff for it and it seems to be helping , but because summer is here i want it to go away ASAP. Is there any cheap stuff that i can buy for my chest and back acne ?

Hey girly,
The best thing that you can do is get an acne cleanser and keep using it. Zits can't be gotten rid of immediately, but they can be made smaller and prevented. Talk to a doctor if you have any more questions.

Catie C.

by lilgymnast11 on 7/1/2011 2:07:24 PM

I have face breakouts all the time and my doctogave me a face wash but it says use once a day and after i use it i put lotion on but my face gets all hard and scratchy and it peels but i don't know what to do please help

by cet on 6/29/2011 6:32:22 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
In the summer i notice i swet alot more than usally do (cause its hot... duh!) and i dont use deoderant cuz my mom says i dont need it, but i think i do because last week i was wearing a tank and there pit stains on it when i changed for bed! Do you think i should tell her i wan to start using deoterant or will she notice and tell me?? thanks!!

Hey girl, I'd tell her. Summer is a great time to start using it because it is so hot. Bring up your concerns and she should be understanding.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by sareena98rama on 6/28/2011 10:27:40 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!! MOD!!!!!
ok in my last question i asked how to get rid of heat rash and they said talcum powder. well, we dont have talcum powder so i was wondering if baby powder is like the same thing and if that will work??? please answer ASAP!!!
Thank you soo much! Smile

Hey! yes baby powder should help Smile

by lazer!beam!22 on 6/24/2011 5:48:03 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!! any advice on how to get rid of heat rash..FAST?!?!? Please help me!!! Thank you!

Hey girly,
Use talcum powder on it and keep it out of the sun. You also might want to visit a doctor to help you out even further.

Catie C.

by lazer!beam!22 on 6/24/2011 3:34:18 PM

MODMODMODMODMOD
and girlies

Hey, Im really super active and always on the go. After practices im always rushing somewhere, friends parties, movie nights, stuff like that. what is a quick way i can prevent acne after my practices and workouts? is there any wipes i can use besides stridex wipes? thanks!

by RayGurl14 on 6/24/2011 2:04:12 PM

modmodmod
i have really sensitive skin, and most make-up products burn my skin. What are your reccomendations and sensitive skin make-up?
-Thanks

Hey girlie, try products by CoverGirl that say sensitive skin or Neutrogena products. They're usually pretty good for sensitive skin.

Lauren T.

by anacutiexoxo on 6/23/2011 7:05:15 PM

MOD MOD MOD !
After spending a day in the sun &using a tan enhancer, my skin is really discolored &blotchy! Its only on my arms &legs, but it just looks weird. How can I make my skin clear &even again? Thanks!

Hey girl,

Unfortunately, your skin coloring just kinda has to fade, but you can try rubbing lemon juice on the blotchy parts to even them out. Good luck! x0x0
Casey L.

by Pink0x on 6/23/2011 12:15:17 PM

MOD Please help. My problem is blackheads. I have some that are deep down and almost look like freckles then I have these really tiny one that are almost hair like, some that are weird &wont go away. And then the regular ones. What can I do. I have a blackhead wash but it doesnt really work.

Hey girly,
You might want to try using a slightly stronger wash, like one that works for acne. That might help clear up some of those blackheads. Also, try asking your doctor or facialist to give you some tips if they still don't go away.

Catie C.

by lagirl16 on 6/22/2011 12:11:21 PM

I have deep black heads all over my nose and they are just getting worse. Early in the day, my nose will feel greasy. It really bothers me. Is there a way to get rid of them?
Thank-you so much!!
Smile

by abbeyroad99 on 6/20/2011 5:04:27 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!
i get bad acne only between my eyebrows and my skins really dry what product should i use?? i tried to use stuff that said it won't overdry your skin but it did.... help!
thanx Smile

Hey babe,

Try a gentle cleanser for combination skin, then follow it up with a facial moisturizer on the parts of your face that dry out the most Smile Avoid the parts that break out!
Lauren C.

by qtpie42 on 6/20/2011 4:59:15 PM

My skin doesn't seem oily OR dry and flaky...What does this mean?

by nat97 on 6/17/2011 9:42:09 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
I'm not thinking of using this at all, but what are the effects of skin lightening/bleaching? I hear it's pretty bad!

Check out this article on the side effects of skin bleaching:  http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/2009/01/the_dangers_of_skin_bleaching.php Smile

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by Firework on 6/17/2011 8:58:20 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
please hep i have been washing my face everyday and im pretty good about it but i broke out on one place on my neck should i use the acne free bodywash i just bought or my face wash??

hey!  try the bodywash Smile

by warrior rose on 6/17/2011 7:15:49 PM

I'm scared.I have 2 or 3 BIG moles.My doc told me that he would have to remove 2 of them.Then he told me that i would get stitches.1 of my moles are on my back and another is on my thigh.But another that is still big is on my neck.Plus my doc said that he would take my removed moles to a lab because he thinks something is wrong with it and if there is then i would have to get ALL of my moles removed (which i have about 6-10 of)and they would get stitched up.And the horrible thing is... I WON'T BE ABLE TO SWIM FOR A COUPLE DAYS!!!!!!I'm really sad about that is because it's SUMMER!Will stitches hurt.Especially on the neck?Plzzzzz help me!!!!!!

Hey girl, eck, so sorry to hear that! Know your doc is doing this just to be on the safe side though. So stay indoors, rest and don't mind missing out on swimming for a bit of time. Your health is far more important than a couple of afternoons at the pool!

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by 1willynilly1 on 6/16/2011 10:45:48 PM

I have dry skin. EVERYWHERE! It's so annoying. Nothing ever works.

by topchef88 on 6/16/2011 8:21:00 AM

MODMODMODMOD
ok so i well just get this out and say it...
i have a lot of hair down there and i don't know what to do. should i shave, one of my friends says it gets real itchy if you shave. i did it once and i hated it, it hurt! i am starting to get hair around my.. number 2's area, and i don't know if that is normal, what should i do??!!
(thanx for anwsering my question i know it won't be the best thing you have done today!) Smile

Hey girl!

It all just depends on what you feel comfortable on doing.  You said it hurt when you shaved so if you don't feel comfortable doing that again, then don't. See if this: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2011/05/25/Is-shaving-down-there-the-norm.aspx helps you at all, and remember, you don't have to do what your friends do. This is completely your own decision and you should make it on your own. Hope that helps! x0x0
casey l.

by triecelove'scandy on 6/16/2011 4:09:08 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
Ok so i have acne and i want to get rid of it. I wash my face for about 4 or so days then i skip a day and cant get back on my routine! I need help finding a way to remember to wash my face. I've tried almost everything! Help!

Hey girl! Try not to over-wash your face, because that can cause it to overproduce oils which are responsible for trapping dirt and bacteria in your pores, which is often a cause for acne. Wash once in the morning, and once before bed. Make it a routine, just like brushing your teeth. If your acne does not subside soon, ask a parent to take you to see a dermatologist.
Kelly H.

by supergal on 6/16/2011 1:15:35 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD.
I want to know what these marks are on my skin. I have them on my thighs and a few on my chest. They are purple and some are like dots and some are like long lines. They are not veins or bruises. But I think they may be stretch marks. However, I don't have big boobs so I don't know why they are on my chest and my thighs are very large either. Can you help me?

They may be stretch marks. I say ask your doctor because theyll be able to give you more help. xoxo kerra
Kerra S.

by giantbonsai on 6/15/2011 11:47:19 PM

Hey girls! My mom just got me an electric razor cause I just started shaving and all... and I love it! It's so much faster, you don't have to go into the shower to do it, but the only things is it doesn't shave quite as close. It still rox and if you don't have one already you should get one.

by emma23416 on 6/15/2011 8:41:10 PM

Mod Mod Mod
I have dry skin and I use Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash, Clinique Super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisturizer,Olay Regenerate Daily Regenerating Serum and Eucerin lotion but my skin is still dry. What should I do?. My mom says that it's environmental allergies but i doubt that.

by krazygummybears on 6/15/2011 8:21:47 PM

hey i know i already asked this question but i forgot something
so i asked:
MOD
ok so my cousins bff is gonna be in a movie soon (no lie!) she was already in a show (guest star) but she is gonna star in a movie soon and im gonna meet her soon im soo nervous! like shes not famous at all yet, but she probably will be soon since shes the star in the movie! i really dont care if u believe me or not, but its true. how can i make myself less nervous??? im gonna meet her at my cousins house not this saturday, but the next (cuz im going to my cousins house the same day her bff, who moved to LA a few years ago, is.)
and ur answer was great but also what do i say to her. cuz i have a hard enough time making conversation with my cuzins friends (since my cuzin is 21) but shes (kinda) famous so yaaaaa i mean shes wayy older than me well shes 8 years older than me. sometimes i even have a hard time making convo with my own suzin, so her??? it will be HARD

hey! yeah, it'll be hard, but since her life is so interesting you've got a lot to work with. Ask her how she started acting and what her favorite part of the movie has been so far etc...

by oceanlover69 on 6/15/2011 8:19:46 PM

MOD

hey! don't be nervous, just remember that she probably wants to be treated like any other friend you'd meet, so try not to act too starstruck ;)

by oceanlover69 on 6/15/2011 8:03:43 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!
In this it says in the morning before you go to sleep.... does it mean in the morning or in the night?? thanx Smile

hey! it says in the morning and before going to sleep, so it means twice per day Smile

by qtpie42 on 6/15/2011 7:38:43 PM

MOD MOD MOD okay so i have normal skin and i have acne. I have tried everything but im not getting results. What should i do? and any suggestions on products.I really want clear skin by the end of summer please help(:

by Abigaildancer13 on 6/15/2011 7:00:13 PM

Mod mod mod mod mod mod mod mod mod mod
This is kind of off topic and weird, but i shaved above my private area down there and i saw red dots (like i usually do) but some of them started to bleed. Should i be worried?

by katykat3000 on 6/15/2011 6:38:40 PM

What's the difference between open and clogged pores?? Which one's better?? I think I have open pores, because I looked really close in the mirror, and there were tiny tiny craters. Not so big, that you'd be able tell from just talking to me. Thanks!!

hey! open pores can get clogged, but as long as they're clean open pores aren't bad

by svds on 6/15/2011 6:35:22 PM

Thanks. I'm no longer baffled by skin product labels. Please, GL, continue making pieces like this.

by peacelovegoogle on 6/15/2011 6:16:04 PM

mod mod mod
so this week me and my bff are helping at bible camp w/ the preschoolers. so theres this adorable kid who always wants to hold my hand (we r supposed to hold their hands as we go to each station) but he ALWAYS puts his hands in his mouth. i tell him to stop (nicely, and i will say that germs arent good for him!) but he wont stop! he has to hold SOMEONE's hand cuz hes only 3!!!!

hey! bring some hand sanitizer and tell him when he puts his hands in his mouth he has to wash them, and help him do it. good luck!

by oceanlover69 on 6/15/2011 5:41:38 PM

mod mod mod
i have a doctor appt. (check up) tomorro afternoon and well im always so nervous about it! i mean i have to get two tiny warts frozen off, and 2 shots, but i mean im fine with that, but im sooo scared about like them saying i have cancer or something. i mean i feel PERFECTLY fine but im just soooo health concious even my parents think i am what should i do??

hey! just think of it as a way to stay healthy not to find out that your sick. going to check ups helps you maintain good health all year round Smile

by oceanlover69 on 6/15/2011 5:39:16 PM

mod mod mod
so i live in america and we're going on a caribbean cruise in 2 wks. i wanna send postcards to my bff, grandparents, and other grandma (they all live in the US) so how many stamps do i put on the postcard?

hey! you should ask you parents or local postal worker for the correct amount. it mostly depends on where exactly you'll be travelling. good luck!

by oceanlover69 on 6/15/2011 5:37:19 PM

mod mod mod
ok so my parents are awesome and surprised me and my bro with new awesome fones yesterday (our old fones were sorta cheap bcuz it was both of our first fones and they didnt know if we'd b responsible w/ them - we were) and so whats a creative way to say thank you? (i tried googling "creative ways to say thanks" but nothing good came up

hey! you could bake them a treat like a pie or cake or something Smile

by oceanlover69 on 6/15/2011 5:36:23 PM

I'm pretty sure I have oily skin or combination.

by puppylover1152 on 6/15/2011 5:07:53 PM

MOD MOD!! so my period comes every 3 weeks and its because i am athletic and it been that for about a year. but now, its been 3 weeks and 5 days, and hasn't came yet. should i consider this late? what should i do? Thanks
~Erin~

hey! well if you haven't had it very long it can be irregular in the first year or so, otherwise wait until at least week 5 before you worry. good luck!

by daughtry60763 on 6/15/2011 5:06:08 PM

I have dry combination skin I think...I use Clinique products.

by Alle93 on 6/15/2011 4:58:21 PM

Mod!
So I still haveint gotton my JUNE/JULY issuse what do I do? thanks

by pandax3 on 6/15/2011 4:53:19 PM

MOD! MOD! MOD!
Okay so today its june 15th and i STILL didnt get my June/July issuse of GL. I think im suppost to report it but i dont know how. Thanks in advance!

by pandax3 on 6/15/2011 4:49:06 PM

MODMODMODMOD how do i help my oily skin??????? i use toner in the morning, and please dont say blotting sheets.......is there ANY more suggestions??????? THANKS MOD!

Hey girly,
Try these things out. If they don't work, you might want to go see a doctor. They might be able to give you some better, more specific tips for your skin.

Catie C.

by josoccer5 on 6/15/2011 4:39:21 PM

I was womdering when you go to the gynocologist they put that thing that separates the walls it starts with an "S" I was wondering do they stick it in deep? or at the front and does it hurt?

hey! it's pretty uncomfortable and there's a little pressure, but it's not painful. hope this helps!

by luvdance13 on 6/15/2011 4:30:53 PM

MOD MOD MOD hi! so i dont really get bad breakouts. usually just a few at a time. but on my cheeks i have bumps and they arent red or anything. my mom said they might be developing pimples but iv had them for months! how can i get rid of them so i can have smooth skin? thanks!

Hey girly,
You might need to see a doctor on this one. A doc who specializes in skin will totally know what to do!

Catie C.

by lazer!beam!22 on 6/15/2011 4:20:29 PM

HEY GIRLS!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION, NEED SOME ADVICE, OR JUST NEED ANOTHER GIRL YOUR AGE TO TALK TO???? WELL I'M YOUR GIRL!!! I GIVE ADVICE ON ANYTHING TO ANYBODY WIT NO JUDGEMENT! I LOVE GIVING ADVICE AND I'LL GET BACK TO YOU RIGHT AWAY!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS THA ARE TOO WEIRD, STUPID, OR PERSONAL, OR A QUESTION THAT I CAN'T ANSWER!
WELL WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??? LEAVE YOUR QUESTION ON MY PROFILE, ADVICE QUEEN PAGE OR MY ADVICE/TIPS CLUB (DEAR PINKY)
CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!!
THANKS

-PINKYPI26

by pinkypi26 on 6/15/2011 1:03:11 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD hi so i just joined a competitive cheer squad like 3 wks ago and no one really wants to talk to me. they all know each other all ready and r all kinda like standoff-ish. how do i approach them? why aren't they more welcoming??? thx!

Hey girl. It can be hard to make your way into an established crew. Some girls can get kind of clique-y. It is totally not your fault!  Why don't you try approaching a girl that isn't surrounded by buds and asking her for help with a routine or bring a snack or refreshments for after practice?   Here are some articles that might help: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2011/05/16/How-to-be-the-life-of-the-party.aspx

Mary H.

by RaeRae500 on 6/15/2011 11:59:14 AM

MOD MOD MOD well, after reading this, i felt my face. i don't feel flaky or oily unless if i have a breakout. but now i don't have a breakout. so what type do you think i have if i'm not oily or dry?

Hey girl it sounds like you probably have normal or combination skin. Try a mild cleanser and apply acne ointment when you do get a break out. On product labels they will usually say things like "For normal to oily skin" or "For all skin types." Read the labels and you should be able to find a good match.

Mary H.

by noellastarr0206 on 6/15/2011 11:49:58 AM

Thanks so much, GL! I wasn't sure what skin type I was, but thanks to this article now I know! I'm combo. Oily on my forehead and nose, but dry on my cheeks.

by browneyedpretty on 6/15/2011 11:21:40 AM

I have oily skin and i went to the dermatologist and they gave me this cream to use after i wash my face called epiduo and it seems to work really really well.

by jdbluvr14 on 6/15/2011 10:59:46 AM

I have oily skin, I use several different products to maintain clear skin.

by nerdisthewurd26 on 6/15/2011 10:34:12 AM