1 HOURS AGO Why does brunch have to be strictly a weekend thing? I propose Thursday editorial brunch meetings effective immediately. #GLHQ

2 HOURS AGO How many bows’ are in your closet? http://t.co/yMOVfUUx1A

14 HOURS AGO Get psyched for back to school with these music vids: http://t.co/552P5H0TUp

COMMENTS

Can't find a summer job? Create your own!

Teen unemployment rates are way, way up this summer…

i did that

by moosterm on 8/1/2011 1:53:39 PM

I babysitter but only for my family and such but at the stable I'm a paid intern for my instructor and also groom horses, clean tack, walk out horses, exercise horses, (practically any dirty work no one else wants to do but I'll do anything) for money and I'm earning some serious cash!

by fudgemonkey on 7/10/2011 9:56:56 PM

MOD! i want t oget my babysitting licence in ca. but i cant find a class! i looked on the city website but they dont have any thing. they had some on the girl scouts of nor cal website even one in my city but my leader forgot to sign us up! where can i find a class!?

Hey girl, I'd ask your local rec center or ask your mom to call and see if the Red Cross is offering any certification courses. It may not be listed as obviously, but there should be one available nearby.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by May9 on 6/30/2011 10:47:19 PM

Mod I asked about some job ideas to see if they were good and you said that tutoring was also good. Well, I skipped a grade a couple of years ago and I have gotten offered to skip another a few times. I'm top of my writing, reading, science, im a awesome speller, im good with history, but okay at math. Do you think that I would make a good tutor?

Hey girly,
With grades and a history like that, I think you will be a totally awesome tutor!!

Catie C.

by krazykotabug on 6/22/2011 2:22:03 PM

mod
what do you think of bake sales and small garage sales as a way to make money and babysitting and cleaning??

Hey girl, I think they're definitely great starts! Go for it! Tutoring is a great way to make a little money too along with pet- and housesitting.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by krazykotabug on 6/21/2011 9:33:31 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I am volunteering at vacation bible school for service hours. I am working in the nursery with kids that are about 1-2 at the very oldest barely 3. There are not many toys for them to play with and the little girls are very shy and miss their moms. How can I keep the happy and distracted so they don't start crying? like little songs I could sing or fun baby games. Thank you!!!!

Try bringing toys from your childhood or asking family members to donate toys Smile As far as games, check out this link:  http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/learning/toddler_games.html

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by w0lfgirl on 6/21/2011 5:25:48 PM

OMG! me and my friend are doing a craft bissness! we r also makeing a youtube account for crafting! The first vido is going to be how to make purple liquid! LOL! Hope every 1 can make some $$$! Have fun!

by May9 on 6/21/2011 1:56:28 PM

by May9 on 6/21/2011 1:54:19 PM

Well, I can't drive and I live in one of those states!! And where I live(in a really small town) usually people don't hire you if you can't drive. Frown

by Georgie 4 on 6/21/2011 9:27:44 AM

i dont need a summer job who wants to work in their time off?

by greekprincess98 on 6/20/2011 9:17:33 PM

babysitting and yardwork, that's what i'm doing!

by fallsb-ball on 6/20/2011 7:34:51 PM

MOD*MOD*MOD*MOD*MOD*MOD
1* I'm 11 and I babysit in the family all the time. I really need some cash and I love to shop, but my parents don't pay me for chores, and I don't get an allowance. I'm pretty sure most of the families in my neighborhood have steady babysitters already, and I'm worried that potential clients won't want to hire me because of my age. I am Red Cross Certified and I have experience, I'm just young. How can I convince them that I'm mature and responsible enough to babysit?
2* I'm talking your ears off, I know. There is one new family on my street, and I don't know how to show them or tell them that I'm available to babysit ... they're definitely someone I really want to babysit for, I've met their daughter a couple of times while she was playing in her yard and she is the cutest little thing you've ever seen! How do I tell them specifically that I'm available and ready?
3* How much is reasonable for babysitting? I'm thinking about $6/hour, but I'm new to this ...

Hey girlie,

1) The only way you'll know is if you ask! Tell them how qualified you are and that you have lots of experience with family babysitting, so you'd love to become a reliable babysitter to your neighbors, extended family, and friends as well. Just be honest and friendly (as I'm sure you are always) and, if it's meant to be, you'll get a call! Who knows - someone's regular babysitter could go on vacation or move away and they'll need a replacement Smile

2) Try bringing them a "welcome gift" - a pie/cake you've baked, a bouquet of flowers, whatever you think they might like. Introduce yourself and tell them where you live, then tell them you noticed they have little kids. Then, tell them everything I said in #1 - your qualifications, your experience, etc. Leave them with a smile and let them think it over!

3) I'd probably ask at least for what minimum wage ("minimum wage" = the lowest amount a boss can legally pay a part-time employee per hour) is at the moment. That's $7.25/hr Smile
Lauren C.

by live.in.dreamland on 6/20/2011 5:48:05 PM

I made a flyer a few hours ago...prob needs tweaking, but I am just proud I did it, I am goin to show my mom, then print out more, and she give them to her coworkers, I give best of luck for every girl who going to try to get money this summer too Smile *Fingers crossed I get some!*

by MusicTaughtMeHowToLive on 6/20/2011 5:37:02 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!
Okay so I am in the unusual mood to make money and buy something I really want: A laptop. I am wondering should I try to get the laptop, which cost 249.00 dollars, (and I have never gotten past fifty dollars), or wait until christmas, and find something else? If so, what should I buy?
Thanks!

Hey girlie,

Big purchases deserve a lot of thought, so try not to pressure yourself into making a decision just yet! Do research on the laptops you like, save up your cash, and also keep your eyes peeled for other things you might want (video game, a purse, whatever). It's tough to part with a lot of money, but you'll be really excited for the laptop if it's the "right" purchase to make Smile If you feel reservations when you're going to buy it, remember no one is forcing you to buy it. Just take it slow and listen to your feelings - you won't regret it if you don't make any rash decisions! <3
Lauren C.

by charliethedancer on 6/20/2011 5:27:26 PM

MOD MOD MOD im trying to save up for a kindleSmile i have 57$ already, and i need to earn 82$. if pay 10$ for a 20$ gift card to amazon, ill save 10 bucks, making it only 72$. im gonna babysit, so how can i get the word out and money super quick? also, is there any other way i can earn money besides odd jobs and taking care of pets? thanks!!!

Hey girl! You have the right idea. Flyers and word of mouth are the best way to spread info about your awesome services. Are you good at anything else? You can try tutoring, selling jewlery at craft fairs, etc. Ask the rents, they may have some nifty suggestions!

mary h.

by karategirl78 on 6/20/2011 3:20:11 PM

MOD MOD MOD pls pls pls answer this!!!! Well I leave in a small town and ther eis absolutely nothing to do!The library is like 20 minutes away by car and I watch my 4 year old brther.My mom says I can go to a day camp next week but it's only for a a couple of hours long each day.I spent my last summer doing nothing. Please help!

Hey babe! Summer is fun, but a lot of girls start to get lil bored. Why not invite a friend over to help watch your brother or do fun activites with him (slip n slide, sprinklers, finger painting, and Disney movies are fun at any age!)? Plan things to look forward to like sleepovers. Ask your mom if you can go on daytrips on the weekends. Find something fufilling to do this summer. Start a project! It could be anything from getting better at painting, redoing your room, reading more, starting a blog, learning to sew... Camp can still be fun if you only go a couple hours. If watching your bro gets too much, see if a close neighbor or relative can watch him once a week. Good luck!

mary h.

by Lalainya on 6/20/2011 3:00:18 PM

MOD Do parents purposefully not hire people young becuase I am 14 and no one wants me! But I am responsible and my sister is really good so I have her tips! I don't get it! Not a lot of people in my neighborhood have little kids and my dad doesn't want me posting anything up to let people know I can babysit so how do I get jobs? Thanks in advance! ♥Ellie

Hey girl. I totally feel you about not getting hired because of your age, but think about it from the parents perspective. If you were a mom would you feel better about hiring a 17 year old with lots of past jobs or a 14 year old, who while capable, hasn't had as much experience? See if your relatives need help with your little cousins and ask your parents to spread word about you to your  co-workers. Babysitting jobs can be hard to land, but if you are persistant you will find one. Good luck!

mary h.

by topchef88 on 6/20/2011 1:31:35 PM

I live in Washington state and can't get a job AT ALL!

by wednesday1408 on 6/20/2011 1:28:08 PM

ya me too i like to volunteer. my friend and i help at the animal shelter twice a week and my bff and i helped at bible camp last week with the preschoolerd! it feels good to give

by oceanlover69 on 6/20/2011 12:41:11 PM

I don't have a job, I'm just fine with volunteering

by nerdisthewurd26 on 6/20/2011 12:14:43 PM

Visit my blog at ***.
It has fashion, beauty, and updated weekly for more!

Hey girl! Sorry, we can't post websites outside of GL. Thanks!
Jess W.

by SoccerLoversUnite on 6/20/2011 11:08:03 AM

Check out my site! Fashion, beauty, and weekly updates on so much more!****

Sorry babe! We can't post websites outside of GL. Thanks!
Jess W.

by SoccerLoversUnite on 6/20/2011 11:00:07 AM

I just got this gorgeous floor length evening gown/prom dress to wear in a pageant. Its mermaid style, cream colored, with a big black bow under the bust area. What color shoes and jewelry would look best with it? Thanks Smile

Hey girl! That sounds gorgeous! I would wear black heels (sandals or pumps, but I'd probably go for sandals) and gold accessories. Depending on what the neckline of the dress is, whether it's halter, strapless, etc., you can wear a gold necklace, and definitely a gold bracelet. Good luck!
Jess W.