2 HOURS AGO Throw the best #Friendsgiving feast ever: http://t.co/CfwBynu3mF

3 HOURS AGO How to get him to (finally) call you back: http://t.co/RGMLbQNyLi

4 HOURS AGO Oh @olivia_holt, your braid is bae: http://t.co/hpc3M3wbQr #hairspo

COMMENTS

4 tips for dealing with your period in the great outdoors

I’m going camping for my birthday, but I just got my period. Help!

MOD PLEASEEE HELPP!! I just started my period for the first time at the first of december which was about 4 weeks ago. I keep on starting and then quiting, then the next few days later i would started then quit again. Well i started 17 days ago and havent quit since. So, i have been on my period for 17 days straight. I dont want to ask my mom because i feel uncomforable talking about it around her. Is it normally to stay on it for 17 days or more straight or is somthing wrong with me? Im freakin out! Please Help!! Smile Thank You!

When you start out your period its very irregular and strange. Its going to do unpredictable things. I suggest you talk to your doctor about the 17 days thing though. Even if you just call your doctor and ask. That will give you some piece of mind. Good luck hon. xoxo kerra
Kerra S.

by kpriest on 12/27/2011 1:29:03 PM

Mod mod mod
I haven't gotten my period yet for august and for labor day weekend I'm going with my friends and family to the Wisconsin dells!! I'm seriously scared that I'll get it and it'll interfere with having the best time I can! And I'm definitely comfortable with tampons I use them for sports. The problem is though my tampon ALWAYS leaks even though I know im wearing the right size. Should I just stay behind in the hotel suite, go and risk it with a potentially leaking tampon, or wear a tampon, a liner and shorts? Please help! I don't want to be worried about my period at the kalahari!!

Hey girl!

I say bring a couple extra tampons (maybe even try out a bigger size, just in case) and change them more frequently, so that way, you won't have to worry about leaking.  If you can't do that, go for the tampon-pantyliner combo.  You should be fine!  Enjoy your weekend!

Jordan S. Jordan S.

by Dashor on 8/31/2011 4:52:39 PM

MOD MOD MOD I gigot to wear my pad for almost 3 days I'm scared Because one day I was with my dad I wore the same outfit and undies twice I'm only ten can I get toxic shock syndrome? Help Me !!!! Frown

Hey girlie,

Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare but dangerous disease that is linked to tampon use, not pads. Don't worry Smile Just remember to change your pads often for hygiene's sake!
Lauren C.

by Nirvana fan on 8/15/2011 10:50:15 PM

MODMODMODMOD! I need help. It always seems when I try to put it in, it hurts. I can't use the ones with the applications because I just can't seem to angle it right. But I'm going to Hershey Park tomorrow! What do I do? Just stay off the water rides? Frown

Hey chica, your best bet is to keep practicing.  Check this article out:    http://www.girlslife.com/post/2009/06/23/007-Period-Advice.aspx.  It's got great advice on how to put them in.  If you get it right, it shouldn't hurt.  It might be embarassing, but you can also ask your mom or another adult woman for help.  I hope that helps a bit!  Good luck!  xoxo

Marie H.

by TheMentalistgurl on 8/13/2011 3:17:15 PM

MOD MOD MOD so i have had my period since last fall so almost a year when i just turned 14. I used tampons twice and i like them but they just hurt coming out. I have read all the articles on girlslife and other websites but i couldnt find anything. i use the smallest size the make even tough i dont have a light period i am just afraid to use anything bigger. I left it in for 6 hours and it absorbed enough. it was about to leak. So how can i get it out without it hurting I know i put it in right. Also occasionally i have a heavyish period and its hard to deal with. Its not like super heavy. So how can i deal with heavier months. One more question. so i got my period before about half my friends including my bff. she is jealous cuz she is one mont younger then me and has no boobs at all and no period. How can i help her get over being jealous. she wants it so bad and i know how she fells cuz i really wanted t too but i was never jealous. also what brand of tampons are best and smallest

Hey girl,

This is TOTALLY normal, don't sweat! It hurts or feels uncomfy sometimes coming out just because your bod has to adjust to it. Remember - it takes on moisture/liquid in there and expands, so it's larger coming out than it is going in. But you'll get used to it the more you use it - and then you won't feel a thing! I only use tampons now, so I can promise you that Smile Once you get used to the smaller size, you can upgrade to the regular size or even the Super size, which are able to handle heavier periods. Girls also find that doubling up with a tampon and a pantiliner/light pad will help protect against leaks during your heavier days. I love Tampax Pearl - they have really smooth applicators and the Light size is perf for learning Smile

As for your bestie, try cluing her in to exactly what a period is. It isn't really that fun, haha - she's just jealous because you're going through something and she has no idea what it's like. So be open and honest with her, and let her know you're there to answer questions if she has any. You can't really "include" her in the period process, but you can definitely let her know that she isn't left out or inferior because she hasn't got hers yet.
Lauren C.

by rockerchick411 on 8/12/2011 7:33:07 PM

I live in a really outdoorsy city so I know how to deal with it. The plastic bag thing is good, but it's also a good idea to put dryer sheets in the bag. This masks the smell.

by juliamusica on 8/11/2011 12:30:10 AM

okay, i think i'm the only girl in my grade who hasn't gotten there period... i feel like im left out what do i do?

by smblower4 on 8/9/2011 7:15:38 PM

nerdy kitty97 another good kind is ones that say: gentle glide or lite

by madsterw1 on 8/9/2011 6:03:32 PM

MOD
What kind of tampons would you reccomend for someone who's trying them for the first time?
Thanks

Hey girl,

I'd recommend trying a regular sized tampon for the first time, because they're a little smaller than the super ones, but still give you lots of protection. x0x0
Casey L.

by nerdykitty97 on 8/9/2011 2:46:18 PM

MODMODMOD!
okay, how long are you supposed to have discharge? Because I have it like everyday. No matter what! Is this normal?

Hey girl,

That's totally normal! You'll have varying degrees of discharge (heavy, light, not even there, clear, off-white...whatever) throughout your life Smile
Lauren C.