1 HOURS AGO #DailyGiveaway! 1 cutie cozies up to the coral craze with @livefashionABLE's Etanesh scarf: http://t.co/u6kdgFkmia

2 HOURS AGO Beat summer boredom, celeb style: http://t.co/e13QhQBPKt

14 HOURS AGO Is your best friend a true friend? Take the quiz to find out: http://t.co/oqUldKXc7j

COMMENTS

Score some independence right this second

We've got the scoop on how to convince your parents that you're ready to grow up, like, now.

MOD MOd Mod

My parents give me a lot of independence compared to some of my friends but my mom has been asking a lot of questions about the boys I like and the ones I am hanging out with, almost like she is reading my texts to them and my friends. I dont think she is but I am wondering how much I should tell her about being romantic with some of them. Is it normal to not want to discuss some of that stuff unless I want to? We kind of already had 'the talk' but maybe she wants to go more into detail, but I already know most of it and know the details and more than she probably thinks, so what should I do?

Hey! Yeah it's totally normal to not really know how to talk to your mom about boys, but if it makes you feel better, she probably feels at a bit of a loss too. However, I really think parents and kids being open and honest and talking with eachother about this stuff really strengthens your relationship. So the next time she's beating around the bush about it, try saying, "Hey, mom, is there something in particular you wanted to talk about?" She'll probably be thrilled that you're trying to let her in. Good luck!

Helen S.

by fashionqn on 7/11/2013 5:42:41 PM

Hey chicas! Become a fan of my advice queen page andd get fabulous advice from a teen who has been through it all. I can answer ANY question and get back to you ASAP. I hope you check it out! <3

by cali princess on 7/7/2013 2:58:06 AM

Today, I was at my younger cousins birthday party and my cousin whos a year or 2 older than me asked me if I wanted to go walk around the neighborhood (since it was my cousins 8th birthday and I'm 13 and she's 15) and I was extremely bored, so I did. We were only up the street for about 15 minutes and my cousins neighborhood is full of Gang-bangers and bad people, but I didn't know that. Also, I had booty shorts on and I was doing my gymnastics. So, my mom got worried and all of my aunts and uncles were looking for us and we were walking back when my grandpa found us My mom was CRYING! She told my Dad and my stupid nosy brother heard. I apologized to my parents 10000000000 times, but I'm going to be grounded and get a lecture, but I know what I did was wrong and I'll never do it again! I don't think my parents trust me now How can I earn their trust back? Please help!
Sophia

Hey! if you've apologized sincerely then that's the most you can do other than showing them through your actions. good luck!
Helen S.

by JBfan97 on 7/23/2011 6:02:03 PM

Mod!
You see .... My mom whenever she gets mad at mean usually when she's had a hard day at work or I didn't hear her tell me something she will yell At me and I will stay calm and whenever I talk in a calm voice she tells me "I don't like it when you speak to me in that tone of voice". She's not a bad person and all and I lobe her a lot but sometimes I feel like I'm the adult and she's the child trying to get me to lash out and start a fight and I feel like if I stay calm it will make her yell and me more!
I mean it isn't that iften when she yells it usually is when I forget to set the table or forget to make my be and vie told her about it and it just is really annoying....confused mod! (btw I didn't say your name 15 times was I supposed to I just think names sound better whenthere said once)

Hey girl, I totally agree on the name thing. Once is fine. As for your mom, I understand where you're coming from. You're taking the right approach staying calm but be careful. You may think you're the more mature one, but DO NOT say that to her even if it may seem true. She won't react well to it. Instead, just hold your ground. If she won't stop yelling at you while you're calm or gets mad at you because of it, tell her that you're leaving the room because you don't want to argue with her and need some air. It's OK to retreat here to help her too.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by e4d54 on 6/30/2011 9:52:31 PM

MODMOMDMOD
My mom's been really mean lately, especially to me. Every thing I do makes her mad, and she always is retaliating unfairly and rudely. Like she just won't listen to me when I tell her something, she won't pick up a school project from school (and I'm forced to bike across busy streets to my school to get it myself), she refuses to make me dinner when she makes the rest of my family dinner, and she's constantly making everyone in my family walk on pins and needles. She doesn't listen to me, even when I need to tell her something important, and I can't do anything right. I don't think I'm a bad kid, at least not as bad as to deserve the way she rottenly treats me. Help me please.

Hey girl,

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.  There might be something going on with her that you don't know about, like something at work, that's making her really upset, so try not to take it too personally. Try talking to her about it if you haven't already, because hopefully if she sees that she's upsetting you, she'll stop. Also, if there's anyone else in your family that you can talk to, like a father, aunt, or cousin, try talking to them and seeing if they have any advice for you. In the meantime, try to avoid her and don't take how she's treating you personally. good luck! x0x0
Casey L.

by Greengreentea11 on 6/28/2011 1:20:51 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD the main reason i dont want her there is cuz my boyfriend is gonna be there and i'd like to hang out with him without her in my business watching us the whole time. there's at least 6 of us going and its all couples so....they would get mad if my mom constantly has an eye on us. my other friend said if my mom comes it would be embaressing and everyone would get mad at me. and she doesnt get why my mom wont let me go alone cuz amanda (the friend im talking about now) almost has a black belt in karate.

Hey girl. I'm a black belt and my parents still don't let me go off on my own in certain cases. Cut your mom some slack. I'm not sure if you can convince her not to come, but you can try asking her in person. Don't push it too much because she may get irritated that way. Try talking to your friends about her being embarrassing and tell them the problem you are facing. They might be more supportive if they know how hard this is for you!

mary h.

by nobody25 on 6/28/2011 11:46:14 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD ok i just got off the phone with my mom and said basically what you told me too and that theres going to belike 5 or 6 other people and caylin's mom is going to be there and maybe if she talked to her on the phone she would feel more comfortable and now my mom wants to go with me to the fireworks and i really dont want her to go. how do i tell her that?? its embaressing having her there

Hey girl. I think that your mom probably won't back down. This is a good thing! Since your mom and Caylin's mom will both be there they will chat and your mom may realize that she isn't crazy! Really, since it is a fireworks show, your mom being there won't be that strange. There will be a lot of people there. Try to get the parents talking.

mary h.

by nobody25 on 6/28/2011 11:25:49 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD what exactly should i say to her so she wont get mad?

Hey girl. I would try something like, "Hey, mom. I know that you worry about me, but I really want to be able to go and hang out with friends. Is there anything that I can do to make you feel better about me going out?" Here are some more articles to help more: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2011/05/17/Brighten-a-bad-relationship-with-your-parents.aspx

Try reading these and feel free to ask more questions.

mary h.

by nobody25 on 6/28/2011 10:46:25 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD i've tried explaining things to her and she just gets mad at me! i hate this i hate it i hate it i HATE IT. i've been with my boyfriend a month and i've only seen him once because i know if i try and ask my mom if i can go somewhere like the park down the street she has to make sure that i'll text her when i get there what time i'll be back, she has to have met their parents and 99% of the time she thinks my friends parents are crazy because they arent kill joys like her. im literally crying right now because im so sick of it. one time i went to the park and shes like telling me all these rules and i got irritated with her and shes like bad things happen in parks. what else am i supposed to do?? i hate my life right now

Oh, babe. Please don't cry. Try texting your mom or calling her when you get places and check in every so often. Ask her what you can do to go places on your own to make her more okay with it. Please remember that it is likely that your mom trusts you, but doesn't trust others. Why not hang out with your bf at your house? Watch a movie where your mom can see and eventually she should trust you with him. <3

mary h.

by nobody25 on 6/28/2011 10:36:32 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD my mom is a over-protective control freak. she started going off last night cuz i was on facebook and shes like who's dj im like my friend and then she started screaming at me! she wont let me go to the fireworks on monday unless a parent is there and i told her caylin's mom is gonna be there and shes like i dont even know her! she always thinks that if i'm not under the watch of an adult at all times im going to get kidnapped. please please PLEASE help me!!!!! i'm going into the 8th grade and she still wont let me do anything! she still thinks im a child (literally she said im a child last night) when im growing up and only havve one year left til high school. its embaressing and annoying because all my friends have a ton more freedom than me and she knows that and she thinks all my friends parents are crazy because of it. PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEEEASEE HELP ME!! thank you!!!!!!!

Hey girl. This is really common. Your mom is looking out for ya, but I can see how you feel. Maybe you can have her meet your friend's parent in advance so she can feel more comfortable? Also, I'm sure that you can still have fun with your mum around. If you feel awkward about it just joke about it to your friends. If you really want some more independence show your mom that you are responsible and explain to her how safe a situation is. Be easy on her.

mary h.