1 HOURS AGO Transform your look with color-changing nail polish: http://t.co/IwZ0dhHpF4

13 HOURS AGO How to ask a guy out and not be super awk and sketchy: http://t.co/l6Imxj9xVp

16 HOURS AGO Feelin' crafty? Make mom the perf #MothersDay prezzie: http://t.co/Of1DdcU6k7

COMMENTS

The scoop on scoliosis

Have you ever had to go to the doctor and bend over while a nurse runs her fingers down your spine?

Mod! Mod!
So I just had scolisis surgery, and 2 more cuz I just a infection in my back, and Ive been out of school for 2 months and I'm totaly bored! I went to school for 2days now I'm at home again cus it's thanx given break. Wat fun things can I do? I can hardly walk around cuz the new antibiotics I'm taking makes my legs weak and feet really sore! (with a slight chance of snapping my legs!) And I have to take it on a empty stomatch right befor bed, but It makes me super nauseous so I can't sleep, so I'll wonder around the house looking at food. Do you know any food to help with being nauseous? Then I'll sleep all day cuz I feel better and I don't feel like barfing. but it's so annoying.
But the other option is going back on a iv for another month. That was way annoying cus it was every few hours.

Hey girl,

sorry to hear you aren't feeling well! Try drinking some hot herbal tea. Sometimes that settles my stomach when it's upset. Feel better, xoxo!

alexis g.

by Krisskatt on 11/19/2012 5:06:20 AM

I have really nasty back pain when I bend down then it gets even worse when I stand back up. Could I have scoliosis?

Hey girl,

A lot of people get back pain, so I wouldn't assume the worst, but I would talk to your parents about seeing a doctor or chiropractor if the pain is chronic.

Meghan D.

by Laxchic2 on 11/11/2012 12:27:33 AM

My dad has something called spina bifida... It's where your spinal cord isn't covered by your back bone. People say its not something that could be inherited from your parents and stuff like that, but my baby sister has it too! She's 2, and she has a different mom than me but has the same dad as me... Could I have spina bifida? When I touch my back, I can feel my spinal cord... I'm confused.

Hey chica!

It's normal to be able to feel your spinal cord when you touch your back, that doesn't necessarily mean you have spin bifida. Of course, if you're worried about it you can get it checked out by a doctor!
Alexis G.

by jrprodigy12 on 9/4/2012 11:03:02 AM

Mod. OMG! I have scoliosis. I hate it! My curve is 54.Gettin surgery in sep.And I'm freaked out! My doc said the rods could get an infetion and that the surgery will leave a scar.And it hurts like crazy 2bend over.And I HATE goin places where my mom knows people they only talk about my surgy, it feels like I'm gonna cry, cause they just stare at me.my sis was complanin cause I can only do the top dishes, and she does bottom.I HATE it when Im in pe and can't run..my pe teach still made me do laps, and I'm super slow, he stares at me like I'm a super slow person. And the curve sticks out of my back by 3"! I'm gonna b out of school 4 months. Mod, some advice, please?

Hey girl, don't worry about it! I promise you'll be great. My friend had surgery for her scoliosis about 8 years ago and she was perfectly fine afterwards and can do handstands now! Think about how far medicine has come in 8 years. You'll be ever better than she was, and you'll be great! - When your mom talks about it and it embarrasses you, tell her it doesn't make you feel good when she talks about it to other people in front of you. She'll completely understand and stop doing so. - If you feel like people are bothering you about running or doing other things you're not comfortable in doing, just explain to them your situation. People are very understanding and won't give you a hard time after that. Promise =]

lauren r.

by Krisskatt on 7/8/2012 3:53:06 AM

Two years ago at my annual physical my doctor said that I had scoliosis and sent me to a special doctor. I have had a back brace for two years now. Sometimes it is a pain, but I have gotten used to it. There have been two or three times I had to get it adjusted. I have to year it all the time except for physical activity and when I take a shower. Recently I have been getting really hot in it though. The people at the place were I get my brace told me to spray antiperperant on my stomach and back, but does anybody have any suggestions? Plus does anybody have any clothing ideas because right now I only have about 7 or so shirts that hide my brace. I also have a lot of sweatshirts for the winter but they are really hot. Any suggestions for clothing?? If someone could answer these that would mean a lot. And if you are getting a brace it is nothing to be worried about. At first it might be uncomfortable, but the people who make your brace and doctors help you. Dont worry about it too much!

by timewaster on 5/10/2012 8:09:21 PM

i have it but my docs monitoring it. my friend has it really bad and just got surgery 4 they had to stick metal poles in her back and she's never gonna be able to ride roller coasters or do a lot of other fun stuff ever again. so if you have it SIT UP STRAIGHT!! unless u want to be like her. her surgery was a wake up call for me to sit up straight so i don't end up like her. also pray 4 her Smile

by opptop on 12/15/2011 12:52:54 PM

i might have scoliosis, so i have to get x-rays done. my doc doesn't think i do, but he just wants to make sure...wish me luck. i have NEVER gotten an x-ray done b-4..so...yup! even if i do have it, it would prob b a very minor case, so i can STILL PLAY SOFTBALL!!!!!!

by kaidenlefty41699 on 8/30/2011 7:03:08 PM

I have scoliosis,but I don't have an extreme version of this.When I first found out about that I have scoliosis,my first thought was "Great. I'll have to wear a brace." but I was wrong! Thankfully, since I have stopped growing and I'm also very short, the curve in my spine wouldn't curve more and more! So, if your doctor says you might have scoliosis, don't think the worst case scenario.

by emilynicole44 on 8/21/2011 3:03:33 PM

i would not be happy if i had that because 1:i always sleep scrunched up ,and 2: i had a leg brace when i was five a metal thing on my leg when i 8 and then another one when i was 11 and i do not want anything else!

by madsterw1 on 8/17/2011 3:55:03 PM

i have scoliosis and i wear a back brace for it. it helps it feel better and relieves me of the pressure, there is no complete cure for scoliosis. back braces at most can only cure it about 50% and surgery can only cure it about 95%.

by hpacluv97 on 7/29/2011 7:27:48 PM