2 HOURS AGO RT @NiallsBlueEyes9: Thank you @girlslifemag I got my book :) YAY! :) pic.twitter.com/2Yrh9pCq98

3 HOURS AGO How do you feel about smoking? Sound off on the survey: http://t.co/DYrp6lJmWF

6 HOURS AGO 20 ways to flirt with your crush: http://t.co/M6GN4Lfh2r

COMMENTS

Starting a new school after a summer move

I’m really nervous about making friends and getting comfortable at my new school. Can you help me out?

How can I remember names easier? I just started a new school and I can't remember alot of the other kids' names.

by adeleeevee on 8/5/2013 8:42:05 PM

MOD
I'm like kinda private-schooled-more homeschooled. It's at a house with three ppl including me. But in 8th grade I have to go to public school. How will I be accepted?

Hey girlie,

It's totally normal to be nervous, but I'm sure you'll love your new school! Check out these posts for tips on making the switch Smile

Meghan D.

by Chicwithblondhair101 on 2/23/2013 12:05:07 AM

OK so I started cooking this year and I've had a lot of bad dishes. I'm okay with that but my problem is my parents. Every time I make a bad dish, they tell me I should find another "fad." I try to tell them this isn't just a fad, that I want to try to be a good cook, but they won't listen. They even told me that I shouldn't be influenced by my best friend (who also loves cooking). How do I tell them I'm serious about cooking?

Hey girlie,

I think you'll prove that you're serious about cooking after you stick with it, keep trying, and show them that you aren't going to get discouraged. Basically, they need to see that you're not going quit after a little while. If their comments are bringing you down, try cooking smaller meals for yourself and experiment until you get it right. That way, you can debut a great dish when you make it for them and show them how much you've learned Smile
Lauren C.

by genieinabottle on 8/16/2012 7:28:44 PM

MOD MOD MOD okay so theres this new girl from new york who just came to my school and before ANYONE acctually saw her....all the guys were saying how hot she was and how they were all gonna ask her out.Once she got there, her locker was right beside my bffs and the second she got there...all of our grade formed a MOB around her!!! me and my bffs think shes rly nice and want to be friends with her but we can never get to her because all of tthe guys/ popular girls are ALWAYS in a mob around her!!!what should we do?

That's nice of you to wanna be her friend, chica. Just take the first chance ya get to introduce yourself and invite her to hang out sometime. Maybe you'll run into her in the bathroom or in the hall. And if you don't, at least you have your friends, and hopefully she'll find some good ones of her own.
Carrie R.

by katiegurll;) on 6/12/2012 3:20:25 PM

hey i've been there done that it really isn't that bad on the first day you are nerves but people will be there and wont stop being nice i garenty it

by allurajade on 3/6/2012 4:10:56 PM

Hey Girls! Have a problem like this? I'm here to offer you help from girls just like you! At my brand new club, Club Girl, I promise to give out awesome advice! The whole meaning of Club Girl is in the title! It's for girls! From books to movies, to fashion to makeup, the whole list, INCLUDING ADVICE, Club Girl is a place for support even in your toughest times. So come and join! You will not regret it!
***POSITIONS NOW OPEN. SEE CLUB GIRL PROFILE FOR DETAILS***

-ana*marie
Club Girl President

by ana*marie on 11/16/2011 10:31:19 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
I'm really nervous about starting middle school next year.(7th) I'm trying to be prepared for it but i'm so lost! I haven't really ahd to make new friends since iv'e never moved. What are some tips for making new friends?And in the middle school I will go to every friday they go to this movie theator and hang out. I'm so nervous! What if i dont make friends? I did make one today in chorus with this new girl but it was so awkward talking!!! I will still have some of my old friends but I get really annoyed by them now. Please help!

Hey babe,

I promise you will make new friends next year. Even though you will have a lot of awkward conversations the first couple of weeks of school, you will eventually find people who share similar interests - there will be tons of new kids in chorus and in your classes! As for making new friends, just be friendly. Smile at people and compliment them! That can get any conversation going. Don't stress about it too much yet - after all, you have an entire year! xoxox
Devin A.

by highschool1 on 10/24/2011 2:06:56 PM

Mod mod mod I just moved, and even though I've done it before but this time is different. I'm always anxious for school and I'm just so lonely. Frown I've never felt like this before. I've started fearing lunch because I don't have anyone to sit with. I just can't seem to stop crying either. Please help me! I'm at the point where I am thinking about a therapist. Ha I'm even crying as I write this. Please help

Hey missy, it might be best to talk to a therapist just to see what's going on. Sounds like you're going through a difficult time and someone professional would defintely be able to help you. AWW I hope you feel better girly!!!!!!!!!! Smile Smile Smile

Lynae P.

by webone1 on 9/7/2011 8:33:40 PM

hey! recently i became an advice queen! need advice on everything school? maybe you're having trouble with one of your honor classes and don't know how to handle it. or maybe you keep getting distracted in class by a cute guy! whatever your question i'd be happy to answer!!!!!!!

by 86cutie on 8/19/2011 11:00:32 AM

by 86cutie on 8/19/2011 10:58:54 AM

I have lived in Ohio for a little over a year now. Last summer my 'rents gave me a choice if i wanted to go back to Catholic School again for one more year i did because i knew my friends would be heartbroken if i just suddenly didn't come back. So this year i am going to public school i am afraid that i will be in shock. People are telling me don't worry about it you will be fine. but that only makes me worry more and i hate worrying. Frown

by vernp on 8/18/2011 7:53:23 AM

Hey girls! If you like to read, write or both could you please join my club "Bookworms & Writers"? I am trying to reach at-least 55 members by the end of the week and right now I'm at 43. I would really appreciate your help! Smile
~Lexi♥

by LexilicousCandy on 8/9/2011 10:27:52 PM

Hey everyone! If you ever feel like you don't fit in and want to talk to like minded people, then join my club Fringe Society! We can help you with any problems school or otherwise...thanks

by #1puppylover on 8/5/2011 7:25:12 PM

MOD!MOD!MOD!
OK so school will be starting soon and my nerves are starting to get to me.Since i'm afraid I am gonna end up in a class with the guy i have a crush on(Since the ending of 5th grade)and plus he knows I like him.Also I think in 8th grade you study U.S History,and i'm the worst at history.I have no clue what to do.I don't feel like the world's gonna end but I feel like it's halfway there, but only for me! Frown

hey! it's only natural to feel nervous, but a positive attitude is half the battle toward a great year. If you think thought's like, "I'm gonna study hard and ace history, then you'll be more inclined to try harder than if you're already worried about failing. trust yourself girl, you can do it!
Helen S.

by jazzyrock2213 on 8/3/2011 6:39:57 PM

I'm going to be a sophomore in high school this year. Last year, I went to a private high school for the first semester and hated it, so my parents homeschooled me for the second half of the year. Then, they decided I wasn't getting enough social time, so they're having me enroll in another private high school this year. They just told me this morning and school starts the 25th, so I'm SUPER overwhelmed. A couple questions: 1. What's your advice on making new friends? I only know one girl at the school. 2. Do you think I'll be the only one who doesn't know their way around the building the first week? 3. How do I deal with the stress of it all?
Thanks so much, MOD! (:

Hey babe,

1. Be yourself - the best version of yourself possible! It's natural to be nervous on your first day, especially at a brand new school. But that doesn't mean you can't chat with your classmates, go to a new table and ask if you can sit with a friendly-looking group for lunch, or get involved in a new club/sport after school. All of these things will help you become more comfy in the school environment while also making friends!

2. No way! There are other newbies there too, even if you don't meet any of them. Just remember that no school is actually difficult to get around - it just seems that way since you've never been before. You can use this to your advantage though - this is a perf a way to start a convo with someone! Tell them you're looking for Room #___, then say you're new so if they could give you tips on finding your way around, you'd really appreciate it. Remember to smile and be confident (without being pushy).

3. Just breathe! Like I said, it's totally normal to be nervous at first. But once you make it to your classes and you realize that the school day doesn't last forever, you'll start to relax. Once you start chatting with your classmates and realizing that you can make friends if you try a little bit, you'll settle in. You can do it!!
Lauren C.

by mrsabbyjonas13 on 8/1/2011 6:24:57 PM

Well, I'm not the new girl in town, but I am going to a new school. I'm going into high school and it's my first I'm attending a public school. I'm not nervous but I am a little shy. Any tips.

by juicylaughs19tr on 8/1/2011 5:07:15 PM

I'm moving, too, and leaving all my old friends and school behind. I had such a great two years here, I don't know if my new house will be as good as this one. But this will be my 10th move and if I know how to deal with one thing, it's moving.
Here's a tip - when you move, nobody knows you! So it's a way to start out new! Ever wanted to cut your hair short, or go by Kate instead of Katie? Here's your chance! I'm not saying try to be someone your not (that never works), but start out right this school year, be yourself, and be confident. You'll have friends in no time!

by writerchick11 on 7/22/2011 12:12:48 PM

Hey i get it i've moved tons be yourself and be outgoing and you'll be comfortable in no time

by bdarrough98 on 7/21/2011 11:22:07 PM

I am sure it is stressful but I hope never have to deal with it. I have switched schools before but I knew some of the people so it wasnt that bad, but not knowing anyone would be kind of terrifying.

by luckykel on 7/21/2011 11:11:48 PM

wow i can totally understand that.. i've moved tons! so if any one needs help im here! check out my profile & clubs!!!

by purpleorchid on 7/21/2011 11:03:47 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
my lil sis might get a phone! shes 6!!!!!!!!!!! shes not responsible at all. none of her friends have one so why should she? i didnt get my phone till like 10 or 11! and it was my dads old one! my shes so irresponsible so i dont see why she should have one. who would she text anyways???.?.????? only my older sis strph and me! do you know any electronic gifts other than a phone and ipod to give to a 6 year old? im trying to convince my mom into something else

Hey girl,  I think that's your mom's call, not yours. A cell phone is useful for making calls — if your sis does an activity, for example, it's how she can let your mom know she needs a ride. You can share your reservations with your mother, but know ultimately that it's not your job to make the choice on her gifts.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by katykat3000 on 7/21/2011 10:50:53 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I have a chiuaua/terrier who won't do anything. Shes cute and stuff but she won't play she's not trained either I throw a ball, she lays there i run she lays there i will try to play with her but shell do nothing! how do i make her more energenic????? thanks!!

Hey girl, it's tough, but all you can do is offer to play with her and let her go from there. If she wants to play, she'll come to you.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by katykat3000 on 7/21/2011 10:44:46 PM

Mod mod mod
HeySmile so, i got the clean and clear acne stuff, and it says that 100 percent of people had clearer skin in 1 day, but I was on my period when I started and I hear acne gets worse during then, and it seems like my acne got worse, not better... I'm gonna keep using it, but I just don't understand why all my friends skin is so pretty and mine has bumps? Any tips? Thanks!!!

Hey girl, trust me when I say not everyone has clear skin – especially in a day. Clean and Clear may not work for your skin, but don't sweat it. It doesn't work for mine or a lot of other people's either. So try different products and see which one works best ttrough trial and error.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by Shorty33 on 7/21/2011 9:37:28 PM

MOD MOD
Wear can i find cute notebooks and folders with cute designs for school? Thank ya!

Hey girl, I'm a big fan of Target. I'd definitely check out their gear now before everyone else does — you get first pick.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by luvpink11 on 7/21/2011 9:29:20 PM

Same here! It's a new school year - better than the middle of the year though. Just talk to a girl you are near, like saying a compliment (it almost ALWAYS gets them to say at least a sentence or two and is almost guaranteed to start a convo.) Best to do this in homeroom so you know someone you can sit with at lunch.

by happydays!:-) on 7/21/2011 9:20:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
I want to start wearing make up. But my sister won't allow me to! She keeps saying things like "I didn't start wearing make up until I was in 8th grade!"
PLease don't say that I should talk to my parents, just don't.
I only want to wear a little eyeliner and eyeshadow and sometimes lip gloss.
What do I do?

Hey girl, I think it's important to remember who the boss is here: your sister isn't. Ask your mom if you can and just ignore your sis. She doesn't call the shots. Don't let her.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by fungirl123 on 7/21/2011 9:17:50 PM

Heyy!!
Need advice? I've got answers!!
Trust me, I've been there, done that!!

by jennntheswimmer on 7/21/2011 6:50:18 PM

I'm starting a new school too!

by Alle93 on 7/21/2011 4:26:48 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!
one of my friends always thinks about herself! she is always saying things like oh hey did u see my new awesome nail polish? and she gets mad when you don't care. and she also just got facebook and i don't want to add her b/c of this.... HELP

Hey girly,

Sooner of later, she'll realize that people don't like it when other people are very self-absorbed. For now, you can either have a talk with her and just tell her that you think she's way too into herself and wishes she would give you the same attention, or you can ignore her when she says these things and hope that she gets the picture. x0x0
Casey L.

by qtpie42 on 7/21/2011 2:17:10 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!
So tomorrow I'm going to a water park with my friend. The thing is, I'm on my period. I have tried using tampons before but they hurt and I can never get them in. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I follow the package instructions and everything! I really want to use a tampon tomorrow but I don't think I will be able to properly insert it. Do you have any suggestions? I have read everything that should help but it hasn't. Also do you think it would be okay to wear a pad if I can't get the tampon in? I know pads swell up but I wear swim trunks as my bathing suit bottoms. Please Help!!! Smile

Hey girly,

It's probably not the best idea to wear a pad in the pool because it will just be uncomfortable when it gets wet, and won't really absorb that much. I know tampons can be tricky, but you just have to keep practicing and you'll get it. Make sure you're inserting them all the way, and that you can find the right place to put them in. See if your mom can help. Good luck! x0x0
Casey L.

by belletdancer9977 on 7/21/2011 2:06:04 PM

Hey Girls if you Love PLL and wanna be in the know about it than join my pretty little liars fan club! I promise you will love it!

by cutiecayley333 on 7/21/2011 1:43:54 PM

I have an option to move to a different school, where the education is supposedly really good, but the kids smoke, they are really mean, but some are nice. I tried to tell my parents but they wouldn't believe me. In my old school (current) they're moving middle shcool to a different building, so if it's gonna be hard for me to go there considering none of my parents drive. I'm torn between what to do, considering no one really likes me at my current school, and the people at the other school seem racist. Help.

Hey girly,

It sounds like the new school might be a better option for you, and would be a lot easier for your parents. Since there are nice kids who go there also, you should just try to be friends with them, and avoid the not-so-nice kids. Every school has nice and not-so-nice people, so don't let that be the reason why you don't wanna go to the new school. x0x0
Casey L.

by Smasheroo on 7/21/2011 1:24:26 PM

The same exact thing happened to me! Just don't be the shy girl. I was and I had like, no friends.

Hey Girlies! Visit my advice queen page for advice on- everything! I will answer absolutely any question you have the same day it shows up on my page. Don’t be afraid to ask anything, because I’m here for you Smile
-Allyson1124 <3

by allyson1124 on 7/21/2011 1:08:22 PM

This is great advice! I told my friend about it and she loved it! Thank u from the both of us!

by rtjordan11 on 7/21/2011 12:33:46 PM

MOD
There is a transfer student joining my cross country team this year, and I was wondering, what are some good ways to make her feel welcomed to the team and school?

Hey girlie! That is such a nice idea! If you see her in the halls offer to direct her to her new classroom and invite her to your lunch table. If she feels like she has a place to go that's already comforting. I'm sure she's probably imagining being alone at the loser's table, which you won't let happen. Tell her your super excited to have her on the team and you can't wait til the season starts.  Have fun! xoxo
Jess W.

by sadulin4495 on 7/21/2011 11:25:20 AM

For all of you who have discovery girls magazine, (i am getting my last issue because Girlslife is WAY better)look at page 36 of the august/september 2011 issue and she is on this article as well as that one! compare!

by tumbleheart on 7/21/2011 10:52:28 AM

I started a new school and it wasn't that bad. I just made friends with the girl who sat next to me at homeroom and I made a friend. Just chat with her. That works for me like, "Nice Shirt! Where did you get that?"

by CrystalSwarovski on 7/21/2011 10:26:52 AM

I'm stayin where I'm at until I graduate high school!

by nerdisthewurd26 on 7/21/2011 9:39:47 AM

i started my new school in APRIL. I felt really weird, but i always dive in, so by the second day i was fine.

by makeupmissy123 on 7/21/2011 9:35:29 AM