15 MINUTES AGO Now even shy girls van get their flirt on: http://t.co/UCVNh5a7Wx

AN HOUR AGO PAUSE— am I the only one freaking out about the new #Cinderella trailer?! Squeee: http://t.co/F0x94XxZbE

2 HOURS AGO As if you needed another, here are 11 more reasons to get super psyched for Thanksgiving: http://t.co/qZgpABAxHB

COMMENTS

The New Girl Code: Going from private to public

I have attended a private Catholic school for my whole entire life, but this coming school year, I’m going to a public high school...

mod mod mod mod mod mod mod mod mod mod
There is this girl who might be in my class this year.She gets really good grades and brags about it a lot. Also she spreads a bunch of rumors and/or makes up stuff a lot. I hate her and when she goes up to the teacher for help she always gets the answers.And one time my BFF was eating at breakfast one time (she takes a lot of maple syrup sometimes)pretty soon the whole table was staring at my BFF how do i get her to stop being so mean?

Hey girl!

Sounds like she's the typical mean girl who always gets what she wants! It's totally unfair right? The best thing you can do is ignore her. Do your best on your own school work and don't worry about what she's up to. Ignore the rumors too, since you know they're made up! If she ever does anything to you personally, it's worth telling her to stop. Maybe she doesn't even realize the effects of her actions.
Rachael A.

by PlushPurplePanda on 6/22/2012 2:26:04 PM

Don't worry about it public school is not as bad as you think it is. You can wear what ever you want to wear. You would also make good friends.

by fairy farmer on 6/9/2012 2:39:58 AM

i've been i basically the same school all my life and next year i going to public school. this helped alot cuz i had no idea what to expect. Smile

by TiCaL0ve on 6/4/2012 6:33:03 PM

I did the same thing a few years ago except I was going to 7th grade, and Carol is right it isn't a whole lot different yes it will be a lot bigger but you'll find you like your new school better and the work is easier! Don't worry you'll make a ton of friends also join as much extra car rivulets as you want it will help you make more friends! Good luck! Smile

by twise8484 on 5/26/2012 7:55:38 PM

I'm going through the exact same thing! The only thing different is I'm going into 8th grade not high school.

by nutmeg2009 on 5/12/2012 10:40:17 AM

I switched two years ago, and one thing you should know: the majority of public school consists of jerks who jump to conclusions when it comes to your thoughts and outlooks. But there's always AT LEAST one person who gets you completely! You just have to swallow that fear and charge in head on. That's what I did. Some threw me away in the trash, but others were really nice and amazing! JUST DON'T GIVE UP!

by potterandthedoctor on 4/12/2012 7:14:30 PM

MY mom is thinking to change me from Public to Private im scared if i dont find friends on the first day Help.

Hey girl,

It's normal to be nervous -- just find some girls who look friendly and introduce yourself! Check out these posts for tons of great tips on making friends at a new school. http://www.girlslife.com/tag/how-to-make-friends-at-a-new-school.aspx

Meghan D.

by Massieblockfan on 3/24/2012 10:23:40 AM

I'm right there with ya girlie! I've been attending a private school all my life and i'm gonna switch to a public high school next year. lol i'm super nervous too! don't worry;)

by myfatsquirrel on 3/19/2012 9:07:36 AM

That happened to me this year! You don't need to worry. I thought the exact same thing. They aren't that much different.

by dominae on 1/21/2012 10:10:40 PM

I go to a private school too and next year I'll be going to public high school. It's nice to know that there are other ppl with the same stituation as me ;)

by candyheart155 on 1/1/2012 9:38:31 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!
Okay, I'm in eighth grade. in my homeroom, there is this really annoying kid, lets say his name is Charles. well, i'm the "smart girl" i'm not ashamed of it, but it's not like i brag. my little bro has ADHD, and there is a kid in my class like that. so i always help him out and have him listen to me when the teacher is busy. and i always volunteer for class. anyways, Charles hates me. for an unknown reason. whenever i raise my hand or say an answer, he says, very loudly, "kenzie thinks she's the boss!" he's been saying it for weeks! i tell him to stop, and so does my friend, but he doesn't. it makes me feel very bad about myself and i;m becoming ashamed and self-conscious, thinking i'm bragging or something, or i'm hideous or ugly, but i'm not! he's ruining my self esteem! and the teacher NEVER hears him! he also picks on the kid i help out. and we have a "bully report" system. but if i use it, i'll just get harassed even more. WHAT DO I DO?????

Hey girl,

USE THE SYSTEM. It's there to help you and should be entirely confidential. So talk to your teacher or counselor after school about this so you can bring their attention to it. During class in the meantime, challenge yourself to keep entirely cool when he says this. You're not being annoying, a know-it-all, or bragging. You're working hard and learning something. You're already ahead of him - you're smart and he's jealous of that. So stay calm, continue to raise your hand, and don't take what he says too seriously. Notice he's the only one chiming in about it? Everyone else hears him acting foolishly - he's only embarrassing himself!
Lauren C.

by callieluv21 on 11/3/2011 6:33:09 PM

i swiched from private middle school to public high school and its not too bad but i rely hate how rude some of the kids are and how much the kids swear its sorts annoing

by cute.monkey.14 on 9/15/2011 4:26:39 PM

well no I mean my mom is understanding I just don't want to make the wrong choiceFrown

by soccerlover557 on 8/25/2011 12:39:25 AM

MOD!MOD!MOD!MOD!
HELLLPPPP! my dad and sister live in Minnesota and I made the choice to move up here too for my sister... but the thing is, I hate it.. the school is HUGE and im coming from a small prep school! I think that I should move back to dallas with my mom, but the school there has already started so I would come in late, and i have already changed my mind about where i want to be once before and i don't want to make anyone angry, but I just dont feel at home here... UGH this is such a mess! please help!!

I suggest you talk to your parents. Theyll be able to give you advice and understand your situation. xoxo kerra
Kerra S.

by soccerlover557 on 8/25/2011 12:37:23 AM

I used to go to a Catholic school and now i'm switching to a public high school! I'm alittle nervous, but at the same time excited! ;D

by soccer babe <3 on 8/24/2011 3:57:50 PM

MODMODMOD! I'm in eighth grade, so next year i go into high school. I want to go to a high school that i think will be better for me. They have a pool on campus (I want to be on the swim team since I am on one in the summer), they have more class options (like forensic science) and the lunch catering system actually listens to the students opinions. The only downside is that it takes 15 minutes to get there. The high school that I'm supposed to go into doesnt have all of that. I dont have many friends at my middle school and they will all go to the not so great school with me. The friends on my swim team that I spend all of my time in summer hanging out with will go to the better high school. My dad says that he will let me try and get into the better high school, but my mom doesnt want me too! She says its because she had a bad experience switching schools at a young age, but her parents forced her. How do I change her mind???

Hey girl, talk to your mom about why you think you would like the other school better. Talk to her about why she didn't like switching schools- she wants to protect you and if she had a bad experience, she doesn't want you to have one as well. Explain to her that you think you can handle it and she might change her mind. Good luck!

xoxo Tory

Tory N.

by rainingsunberry on 8/22/2011 1:53:08 PM

Hey Girls! I go to a private middle school and I just made a club for girls in Private middle and high schools. If you are interested in becoming a vice president, secretary,treasurer etc. please join my club and tell me! The club is under beauty/hair. My mistake! It is called "school girls" check it out so far it has no members. (I submitted it yesterday).

by prettypersuasion on 8/19/2011 5:37:50 PM

In the middle of fourth grade I moved half way across the country from a Catholic private school to a public school i was really really nervous at first but in fifth grade I made a ton of friends and I learned that it doesn't matter what religion u r.

by gizmo001155 on 8/18/2011 12:34:48 PM

MOD!MOD!MOD!MOD!
I just moved this summer and im going 2 start 7th grade at a new skool. its been a really hard process 2 try and get me in2 a really gd skl. i honestly dont care that im going 2 the middle school, but i seriously dont want 2 go 2 their high skl. ive seen there high skl record, and its HORRIBLE!!! im sorda planning on playing college softball, but this school is goin 2 ruin my chances of playing. i want 2 tel my mom but i dont think she'll understand. she usually wants things 2 go her way but i cant let that happen this time. what should i do???

hey! is there any other parent or guardian you could talk to about it that might be more understanding than your mom?
Helen S.

by bacongirl9 on 8/17/2011 6:12:56 PM

i'm starting middle school this year , and it's my first time with a uniform . i know i can wear anything under my skirt except jeans , and wear my own shoes , but what else can i personalize ? thanks !

Accessories go a long way Smile

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by XxFuscoFeverxX on 8/16/2011 7:10:57 PM

mod!!
i have to write a paper for school over the summer, and school is starting soon and ive hardly started it!! its for an advanced class that i know i am smart enough to be in, but whenever i try to start the paper i get so overwhelmed!! plus i am starting at a new school with new people so i am stressed enough already. do you have any tips on how i can get this paper done? its due on the first day of school so talking to my teacher isnt really an option

Hey girl,

If you really want to ask your teacher for help, your school probably has a directory where you can find your teacher's email address. As for finishing on time, make a plan of what you want to get done each day until school starts (for example, writing 2 paragraphs a day). It will make finishing the assignment seem more reasonable. School can be pretty overwhelming at times, so if you're still feeling the pressure when the semester starts, try talking to your guidance counselor or a parent about handling stress. Good luck!

Meghan D.

by jennntheswimmer on 8/15/2011 1:17:00 AM

haha where was this last year? I was in the exact same situation

by katie10marie96 on 8/13/2011 2:32:22 PM

I'm not exaggerating when I say that my friend is obese. She's the sweetest girl you've ever met, I fear for her future safety. She's extremely sensitive, and along with obesity, I have very good reason to believe that she's going to become a hoarder too. What do I do? She's 13, and I want to stop this before it gets into a habit she carries into adulthood.

Try talking to her when it's just the two of you. Keep the fact that your concern is for her future and not to pick at her

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by svds on 8/12/2011 11:08:33 PM

MOD MOD MOD I really want to be popular but IDK how Mary, if you answer this you know I've asked ALOT of questions that you've answered but this one is important how do I become popular? I'm sick of being the ten year old dork with glasses I mean it's already bad enough that Im the youngest in the classroom with a late b- day and when I was little I dreamed of being popular not mean girl popular but the nice most popular girl I could be. Thanks. XoXo, Nirvana fan

Hey babe. Don't feel bad about asking a lot of questions. It is totally okay! That is what Mods are here for. Popularity isn't everything and doesn't happen overnight. You need to try your best to be outgoing and nice to everyone. It sounds like the issue isn't how you look, but how you feel about it. A quick way to attracting people to you is to be confident in who you are (or fake it until you are!). Check out the articles on the friends section of the life channel. Read a bunch of different articles on any topic that seems remotely related to being shy or making friends. You never know what tips will work for you!

mary h.

by Nirvana Fan on 8/10/2011 10:24:51 AM

Hey girls! If you like to read, write or both could you please join my club "Bookworms & Writers"? I am trying to reach at-least 55 members by the end of the week and right now I'm at 43. I would really appreciate your help! Smile
~Lexi♥

by LexilicousCandy on 8/9/2011 10:26:00 PM

MODMODMOD!!!!!!!I just got my schedule & have no classes w/ my besties! a couple not close friends r n my classes but my absolute best friends that i just met last yr but became super close w/ rnt in any of my classes! im not allowed to have a phone or an fb until i turn 13 in november, so ill have basically no way to stay in touch w/ them! should i talk to my parents about switching teams (u have all ur classes w/ teachers & kids on ur team there r 5 for my grade) or just try to make the best of it? also any ideas for ways to 1) stay in touch w/ my bgf w/o phone or fb? 2) stay close to last yrs besties & 3) make new friends fast! thanks! plz plz help fast! oh & advice from other members other than mods would be great too! <3

Hey girl,

Even though it might be hard for you, you should try to make the best of it. You'll make new friends in your new "team", you just have to be friendly! To stay in touch with your friends, try creating an e-mail group or calling them to make plans often. Good luck! x0x0
Casey L.

by sparklysydafrid on 8/9/2011 2:51:04 PM

MOD MOD MOD I'm worried about this same thing I want to be popular at my new school but IDK how I want help on this and I'm worried about guys and stuff I'm 10 going into 6th grade just because I started school early I want help on how to get kinda close to a guy, without my mom and my stepfather flipping out. I'm also worried cause this new school is REALLY good with test scores I just read your middle school guide and it helped but If you can to I'd feel better. Thanks XoXo, Nirvana Fan ;)

Hey babe. 10 is a tad young to start dating, but if you start chatting with guys about things that you are both interested in you will find friends. Try joining a school club or team.

mary h.

by nirvana fan on 8/8/2011 8:37:28 AM

Hey chicas I went through the same thing in 6th grade. And to be honest it was probably the best thing ever. It will be kind of weird at first because you don't know anyone but everyone knows each other. Trust me though after you get past that first day everything gets a lot easier. Good Luck!!!

by proarchergal42 on 8/6/2011 10:28:29 PM

Wow, if any of u girlies need school advice comment back on my profile & tell me your problem!!!

by purpleorchid on 8/6/2011 6:45:29 PM

i hav the opposite problem... i was in private school since pre-k then in 4th grade we moved nd there were like nooooo catholic schools around (tht were good anyway) nd the public school was fantastic (award winning good Laughing) so ive been there ever since. in public school, to be brutally honest, i met my best and truest friends, and i'm sad to have to leave them for my freshman year. i'm now going to a private high school nd im going to live there! im kind of nervous, excited, scared, and everything in between! any gurlll wanna gimme advice? comment on my profile!!!! xoxo

by cheerkat22 on 8/6/2011 7:36:06 AM

THANK U SO MUCH 4 POSTING THIS ITS EXACTLY WHAT IM GOING THROUGH !!! <3333

by LuvinSummer on 8/6/2011 2:46:23 AM

So I'm going into high school this year and the only people at that school that I know are the people from the schools field hockey team, which I'm on. so the first day of school, I'll be walking through the doors knowing practically anything. I normally wouldn't care about that, but the first day we just happen to have a home game. I had a cute first day of school outfit all picked out but now instead, I'm gonna be wearing a tank and a skirt that breaks the school dress code! Smile hahaha

by spazzygirI on 8/5/2011 11:23:37 PM

If you change schools of course you will be nervous about teachers classes making friends etc.. But you be able to build a new reputation and make new friends who are different have other interests different personalities so embrace that girlies! Smile

by 15hayhay on 8/5/2011 10:25:49 PM

Hey everyone! If you ever feel like you don't fit in and want to talk to like minded people, then join my club Fringe Society! we can help you with tons of stuff from school to friends! see you there!!!

by #1puppylover on 8/5/2011 7:32:01 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!
Ok so last year i went to a school away from all my old elementary friends. I made lots of awesome friends at my new school (especially guys) but now im going back where all my elementary friends are. I no it sounds weird but im not excited to be back with them cuz ill have to leave my new friends! Now all my new friends r mad cuz im leaving and everything is a big mess!!! sorry its soo long!

Hey! that's tough. just keep in touch with your new friends, get excited to see the old ones and maybe think about making some new friends at your old school if that makes sense?
Helen S.

by paramoregurl on 8/5/2011 5:39:12 PM

MOD MOD MOD! I feel so bad. I have a panic attack disorder so I can't under any circumstances stay home alone. I'm terrified. My whole family has to change their schedule completely because I can't be home alone and they'll always cancel stuff to stay home with me so I won't have to be home alone. They say it's not problem, but I know it is and it's hard for them. It's suck a problem for me though and I have a major panic attack if I stay home alone. What do I do to help both sides? /:

hey! ask your parents to help you see a psychiatrist or talk to the school counselor. A professional can help you work through your fear if you can't by yourself. if you help yourself get this under control, it will help others around you Smile
Helen S.

by PinkZebra97 on 8/5/2011 5:20:16 PM

MOD MOD MOD OR ANY OTHER GIRLS(:
so i am completely terrified and nervous of going into high school this year. even just thinking about it makes me feel sick. but i have no reason to be. i am in most of the top classes, i have a great group of friends, and i manage the school's JV and Varsity team. so i have alot of older girls i can turn to if i have problems. but for some reason, i'm still scared, but have no idea why. any advice on how to calm my nerves?(: k thanks bye!

Hey! it's normal to be nervous, but just keep reminding yourself of all those great things you have. also put things in perspective. Highschool is not a very long time in your life, so any bad times will be over before you know it. Focus on having good times while you're there instead Smile
Helen S.

by kk91692 on 8/5/2011 4:35:33 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
i have this huge problem with a friend.lets call her samantha.
she has this best friend that shes been best friends with since she was 2. (if you talk to samantha for at least 2 minutes shell bring her up..its so annoying.)
samantha ditches me, lies to me, just to hang out with her "best best friend". & so i was at the park with samtnha & her best friend & i told samantha a story and she just stared at me and turned to her best friend and was like "hahahaha ohmygod remember when.."
so then we got in this huge fight.(long story.)
& its always like that.
then she makes me feel all bad, & she lies and makes me feel like the bad guy..
but then when shes nice shes a really good friend.
if you were me,would you still be her friend?
thanks.

Hey! If I were you I'd probably just scale back the friendship, like I'd still talk to her, but start meeting new friends too.
Helen S.

by friendsrforever on 8/5/2011 4:11:39 PM

MOD! Ok, there are these 3 'popular' girls at my school and they are REALLY mean to my best friend. Now I know almost everyone has problems with girls, but i would really like it if they would leave my friend alone.After she gets in a fight with them she usually calls me crying and we go hang out and try to forget about them. We try to ignore them but its hard sometimes, they spread rumors and get everyone mad at my friend. My friend has family problems too,and they dont seem to understand how hard life is for her. its like they have nothing better to do than hate on my friend. How get these girls to understand they are mean and they need to change their ways? What if i tell them they are acting childish,&mean and they get mad at me?i dont understand why they act like this and would appreciate if they stop.

Hey girly,

Unfortunately, there isn't much that you can do to get these girls to back off. With girls like these, reason doesn't always work. If you tell them, they will most likely attack you or make things worse for your friend. If I were  you, I would either try ignoring them and acting like their comments don't bother you, or getting a teacher or trusted adult involved. Good luck!

Catie C.

by ibleedblue on 8/5/2011 3:01:54 PM

Our private school class only had one boy cause the others leftFrown Guess he wont have a hard time getting a girlfriend!

by orangeache on 8/5/2011 2:10:44 PM

Wow, a lot of people are going through this same thing.SmileUm, good luck those of you switching schools, and to everyone starting this new school year. This is your fresh start! Use it wisely.;)

by thetruth on 8/5/2011 2:42:06 AM

the same thing is happening to me !!!!!!

by jollymoemoe on 8/4/2011 11:42:55 PM

whoa, this is me EXACT situation. xD

by erinthemaster on 8/4/2011 10:11:04 PM

hey! same thing for me! im actually really excited! i get to go clothess shoppingg and shoe shoppingg! im a little nervous but more excited! i have a bunchh of friends that i know that go to the public school! for as long as i can remember, ive played soccer and softball for the city/school. so im friends with all of the teammates! just rememberrr to havee funn<3

by bellaroo18 on 8/4/2011 7:05:23 PM

Next yr...this will be for a lot of ppl in my 8th grade year...but who are in Catholic school. I'm not in Catholic school, but whoever is making the switch...good luck!!

by MusicTaughtMeHowToLive on 8/4/2011 6:54:16 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
How do you change your username?

Hey girlie, unfortunately there isn't a way to do that without creating a new profile.
Lauren T.

by tumbleheart on 8/4/2011 6:36:56 PM

this almost happened to me but fortunately we got some financial help! we dont have to much $$ 4 other stuff but we get by

check out my profile clubs & advice pg!

by briblue3 on 8/4/2011 6:23:39 PM

hey girly, i was in your situation just a couple of years ago, coming from a Christian school to a public school. i was crazy nervous cuz i hadnt been in public school since 3rd grade, but what i learned is , be yourself and you will find people who are jealous of you, i know there were alot who were of me, but look over them, theyre haters. and one more thing, dont take a $300 Coach purse or any expensive purse and leave it out of your p.e locker, cuz it will get stolen. hope you have a nice time and make trustworthy friends. Smile

by Prep4Life on 8/4/2011 4:49:15 PM

omg this is happening to me! i'm going to public school for the first time this year since first grade. i'm sooo nervous

by Kalulah on 8/4/2011 4:20:31 PM

This happened to my sister! Not me though because I stopped Catholic school because my little brother is super smart and had to go to this public school so he could get advance classes and my mom didn't want him alone but with my sister, all you got to do is be friendly and wear whatever makes you feel pretty and comfortable! GOOD LUCK GIRLIE!

by topchef88 on 8/4/2011 4:07:05 PM

That was my situation last year just be yourself and where stuff that you are comfortable in but doesn't break school regulations. I mean you may be a little shy at first (I was definetly that way) but you will eventually find friends. i mean i was intimitated the first few days because like my school was really big but yet it seemed everyone there already had friends in all their classes.But you will always find that one friend you instantly click with and you will always find a friend in every class and you will be fine. So don't stress, if i can go through it anyone can go through it you will NOT get eaten alive.

by star53 on 8/4/2011 4:05:25 PM

I'm making the switch next year and I'm SO excited!!!! Smile

by fireworks1071 on 8/4/2011 3:56:26 PM

I went from private to public last year Smile and i think public school is funner and less uptight. But private has nicer people... at least thats what it is around here for me. I dont realy miss catholic school that much, dont worry you'll get used to public school and you'll like it.

by Im.Unique.YAY! on 8/4/2011 3:24:20 PM

I have the exact opposite stich ive bein in public my whole life now i'm going to cathlic school

by coly33 on 8/4/2011 2:56:26 PM

Join my club (mod appreciation) to give thanks to the mods. They have helped u on fashion,boys,heath and so much more...so show them how much you appreciate them and join

by Jounga on 8/4/2011 1:43:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD this is my last year at my private school, and I always thought I would be going to the private highschool. I've planned my whole life around that highschool, all my friends are going there, I support them at games, I know the teachers and I wear their t-shirts. But my Dad told me that if he loses his job I probably can't go (It's really,really,really,really expensive haha) He's a teacher, and if they lose more kids they have to fire the teacher with the least seniority, which is my dad. I'm so afraid that he'll lose it that I cry at night and now I'm going to worry the whole year, this might be my last year with my friends. I've been with the same group of kids since 1st grade and I've always thought I would be going to the private highschool. I'm going to try my best to get a schlorship, but I don't know if I can. I only told my one guy best friend cuz I know he's trustworthy and he won't judge, but I'm not going to tell my other friends. Help me please...

Hey girl,

I'm really sorry about your dad, but unfortunately sometimes there are things we just can't control, like a parent losing their job. Don't spend your time worrying, instead just have fun with your friends until you know what's going to happen. If you have to switch schools, you'll definitely be able to make new friends at the public school and still hang out with your other friends after school or on the weekends. Don't worry. x0x0

Casey L.

by Tokyogirl98 on 8/4/2011 1:25:21 PM

that weird! next year i'll be in high school (i go to a private catholic school) and i'm either going to the public high school or a private catholic one!

by puppylover1152 on 8/4/2011 12:09:29 PM

this is my last year at my private school and i cant wait to finally move to public!

by filaluvva on 8/4/2011 12:05:24 PM

Hey chicas,If you need advice on anything really I'm here 4 u!I answer questions on topics from boys to hair styles to drawing and much more!!!!!no question is too embarrassing or humiliating so come on down to my advice queen page and you wont be dissapointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by artistchic99 on 8/4/2011 12:03:35 PM