2 HOURS AGO #DailyGiveaway: 10 gals strut in style with a pair of Airwalk’s Parker shoes: http://t.co/exBiydHo2V

2 HOURS AGO Safari style: These animal-print kicks will make your outfit fiercely fashionable: http://t.co/e07eA8XXAd #GLfashion

5 HOURS AGO Here's *everything* you need for a fabulously fashionable fall. So much outfit inspo: http://t.co/8v3OtD2WhK

COMMENTS

Big ambitions? Score support from Mom and Dad right now

I'm starting high school this fall and my parents told me to think about careers...

MOD
I want to be a performer. Like dancing and singing and acting. It's my dream, but i dont know how to tell my parents because they would think its a joke.. can you please help me?

Hey girlie, I'm sure your parents will be supportive of you. They should know that that's your passion and what you really want to do. Find some kind of audition in your area that you want to go to and bring it up with your parents through that.

Lauren T.

by tellatubies89 on 7/28/2013 3:33:42 PM

MOD
See, I wanna be a singer-songwriter. I think I have a wonderful and brilliant songs. I can play the recorder, sorta the piano, and I've thought about the drums and have given the guitar a shot before. But, my mom says it is very difficult to get into the msuic biz so until I could make that work it can only be a hobby! Well, guess what? I go after what I want! Although, she and my dad said I would have to have singing lessons. And they've also told me they're insanely expensive!! When I mentioned a few weeks ago I wanted to take singing lessons, she just smiled and rolled her eyes! I've never had full encouragment from anyone, I believe. But I'm strong enough to put my dreams in action! I will save up for years if I have to to take singing lessons and become the star I know I'm meant to be! But, is that a worthy goal? Or should I JUST stick to writing books (like I always do)?

I think if you really want it then put your heart into it and strive for it! I think you can do it Smile Good luck! xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by amyrose99 on 1/10/2012 5:31:26 PM

Hi! My parents are also a little bit negative about what I want to do. When I grow up I want to be a writer,musician, and if posible,be a marine biologist. They tell me that they want me to study business management because the job in which you earn the most is by being the owner of a business, but I tell them I do not care about money, that I care of living my life the best I can doing what I love. Help?

by maeugeniap on 9/24/2011 3:10:39 PM

Hey girls my name is sydney I am 16 and my mom has helped me in starting our own business the name of this shop is Purses Galore! We sell purses sunglasses wallets bling belts and sooo much more! All of this has made me think about this saying "the sky is the limit don't stop tell u hit it" u really can do whatever u want you just have to put your mind to it! Look at me age 16 and I am a co-owner of a business!! U can do all things!

by sydy_kidy on 9/21/2011 2:34:25 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
Also, my parents are kind of negative of what I want to be, which is a scriptwriter or novelist. They're concerned that I'm not going to be able to make enough money to live on. But I don't really care about money, honestly, I could careless. All I want to do is be able to write cause I love it, even if it means working several different jobs. How can I tell this to my parents and help them to understand my point? THANKS SO MUCH!! YOU TOTALLY ROCK!! Smile

Hey girlie, only time will help them understand that. And even if you don't care if you're making money, you still need to find something to pay the bills. You could double major in something else in college so you have something to fall back on and your parents will be happier.
Lauren T.

by addictedtowriting on 8/25/2011 8:04:27 PM

MOD!MOD!MOD!~ hi okay so i realllly want to do acting-like disney shows acting or movies but i really don't know how to get started with everything. there's an acting program that alot of people around my town go to but there's one problem- money. my family is going through alot of financial problems right now and there's no way that they could pay for that so now i'm left clueless and i need help!! i really want to be on like a disney show but that just seems so...out there and impossible! please help!

Hey missy, mhmm maybe you could talk to the people who run the program and ask them if you can intern or volunteer with them. That way you won't have to pay for anything and can still sit in the acting classes. Be sure you have at least four monologues, that are different that way you can show your range in auditions. Start looking auditions for plays and shows in your area. That way you'll have some experience under your belt. Hope this helps ya!!! Smile

Lynae P.

by X-MasBabey97 on 8/19/2011 8:46:59 PM

MOD- Im afraid if I decide to get a boyfriend this year my parents will freak. Im 13. HELP!

Hey chica.

Before you start the school year, talk to your parents about boyfriends. Set up some rules about when they think you can start dating and what they expect out of both you and him. What they say goes, but that doesn't mean you can't try to reason with them. Good luck!
Katelyn L.

by HappyFeet16 on 8/18/2011 2:45:05 PM

mod mod mod
i've been really depressed lately. i have been so hard on myself and it's only my second day at school. also my brother makes me feel really stupid all the time and i tried to get him to stop, but he denies it. and there's a whole bunch of of other problems at home. is it normal to be sad all the time? I can't stand feeling depressed any more and i think i might have depression because it runs in my family. how do i tell if i have it? sorry for the long question.

Thats no good! i know its tough but it will honestly et better. My suggestion for you is going to your school guidance counselor and talking to them. Getting your feelings out, maybe on a daily basis (or weekly) may help you a ton. So see what you can arrange with them Smile xoxo kerra
Kerra S.

by bakerGirl508 on 8/17/2011 10:59:03 PM

I want to start getting acting jobs. The only thing is most of them are an hour away. How do I find jobs that are nearby?

by jhorses2 on 8/16/2011 7:49:39 PM

For a while now I've been thinking of modelling or doing something to do with creative arts but I know my parents don't approve.

by Apple cake on 8/14/2011 12:23:59 AM

My Parents would support me in what ev. i want to do. (not like flipping burgers and stuff hahaha)

by abbygirl12 on 8/13/2011 10:29:20 PM

Mod mod mod... I am interested in any type of preforming arts.Any advice on where to start and how to get better at what I possibly want to do in the future? Please and thank you

Hey chica!  That's awesome that you want to get started on your goal!  I think it would be great if you could find a way to get involved in a group that matches your interests.  If your school has a drama club, choir, or plays, see if you can join or audition.  If not, check your community - there may be options for local theaters or even just acting or voice lessons.  Ask an adult to help you find something if you're stuck!  Best of luck!!

Marie H.

by rebmaa on 8/13/2011 4:35:20 AM

MOD
There are a few careers I have been thinking about. Some are practical, others not so much. The impractical ones sound so fun, but I'm not sure how much success it would bring verses the practical ones. Any advice on which I should chose?

Take a career aptitude test Smile

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by baibeecakes on 8/12/2011 11:04:49 PM

I'm trying out for a performing arts high school next year and I have to write my own original monolouge. I just don't want it to be something typical and unoriginal. How can I get ideas about what to write? Thanks

Take notes from real world situations--sit in a cafe, park, etc. and listen to those around you for inspiration Smile

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by fern09 on 8/12/2011 10:51:20 PM

My parents are doing the same thing with me. I could tell they because they were starting to make hints and ask a lot of questions. And because they were and kind of still are discouraging my relationship with my bf.

by luckykel on 8/12/2011 10:27:01 PM

I'm entering Junior High, and I'm already started on planning for college. Insane right? But it will be worth it in the end!

by nerdisthewurd26 on 8/12/2011 2:47:49 PM

very useful!

by fallsb-ball on 8/12/2011 10:28:50 AM

Hey girls! My name is Maggie and I have been giving you guys advice here on GL for a year now and I absolutely LOVE doing it Smile I just wanted to let you know that I am now an ADVICE QUEEN! My advice queen page is going to be kept for guys/dating only but if you ever have a question about anything else NEVER hesitate to comment on my profile! Please join my advice queen page...I can't wait to start helping you guys figure out the boys in your lives!

Thanks for joining!

xoxo,
Maggie183<3

by maggie183 on 8/12/2011 10:02:09 AM

What I want to do is exactly what my Dad DOESN'T want me to do.

by smileysevvie on 8/12/2011 8:43:44 AM

My parents will find a way to shoot me down no matter what job I choose. I need to figure out what i want to do with my life. And I need to do it now.

by thetruth on 8/12/2011 6:45:05 AM

well to the girl who thinks she has a way off i think she's wrong. but oh well. sucks for her when she's 25 and still living with her family....but i like this. and i personally want to do television scripts and novels

by Madam Gir on 8/12/2011 3:03:54 AM

i dont need this advice yet but in the long run YES thanks GL!

by jollymoemoe on 8/12/2011 12:40:30 AM

my parents want me to be a doctor, but i really want a job that has to do with the arts

by tswiftluver13 on 8/12/2011 12:39:59 AM