1 HOURS AGO Which summer sport's got ya game? Take the #quiz to find out: http://t.co/Ici50wNgla

4 HOURS AGO Tell us how you feel in our survey about smoking: http://t.co/6Q9EeXv0yg

4 HOURS AGO 5 fun fitness guru videos: http://t.co/ltFmHhPXLG

COMMENTS

7 secrets to making a killer first impression

I’m starting a new school this year and I really want to nail my first day...

Hey chica, This is a pretty serious concern that is probably best talked about in person, with an adult you trust.  I know it can be hard, but I really encourage you to reach out to someone, whether it's a parent, aunt, counselor, or family friend.  xoxo

Marie H.

by cutiegal100 on 8/13/2011 1:05:04 PM

ok theres this new girl coming to our class but she super weird and nerdy and just nothing like me... i was being nice so i took her to the pool to meet a couple of classmates.... i dont want to be her bff but i stil want to b a friend.. how do i make that work?? HELP!

by bieberlover586 on 8/13/2011 11:41:32 AM

MOD MOD MOD I've hung out with these friends for about a year and a half now. I love them to death, but the longer I know them, the more tired with them I get. Like, they're all really immature and weird, and I get that rep by association. My so called "best" friend never invites me over and rarely calls. She has slapped me and screamed at me in the school hall! I was talking to my grandma about it and I realized that I don't want to hang out with them anymore. My school is really small, so there aren't many other options. I'm hoping that's there's a new girl I can be friends with. If there's not, what should I do? And if there is, what can I do so they won't be as mad at me? I know my friends will be really angry if I "ditch" them. Thanks so much and sorry it's long! Smile

Hey chica, being "weird" or nerdy is one thing, but being hurtful to you is totally another!  I think you need to let your "best friend" let you know it's not okay to treat anyone like that, especially her BFF!  See if there are actvities you can get involved in to meet new people - there may be something outside your school but in your community that would be helpful.  if not, try to be friendly and keep your options open.  There may be someone in your classes that's not new but you just never considered before -  like the quiet girl or guy in math class.  Hope that helps a bit, and good luck!  xoxo

Marie H.

by thecupcakequeen on 8/13/2011 11:36:44 AM

MOD MOD MOD Back in sixth grade, me and my old group of friends separated and I made friends with this one girl Bianca. She seemed really nice and funny, but after a few months she started getting really mean. She called me names, got mad really easily, gossiped, and didn't keep my secrets. I had a few fights with her where I didn't talk to her for a week or so. I didn't have any other friends really, so I always went back to her. This has been going on until the end of seventh grade, where I told her off. Now the problem is that I don't want to crawl back to her, but I don't think my old friends will take me back. I've tried fitting in with other groups, but I don't. I really want to be friends with my old friends, but I don't think they want to be friends with me. What do I do?? (Sorry it's so long) Thanks so so so much (:

Hey chica, I'm so sorry to hear about the friend troubles, but I am glad to hear you're trying to make a change for the better.  Your best bet is to just be friendly to everyone - old friends, new people in your class, and Bianca included (although you don't have to go out of your way for her - just be polite).  I would think about if there is one person from your old group you could talk to - tell them one-on-one that you've missed hanging out with the group, and you're sorry you drifted apart.  Then, just do your best to branch out, too.  If there's someone new in your class or a friendly-seeming group in the lunch room, smile and strike up a convo.  If there's any new after-school activities you can join, that would be great too.  Believe me, I know what it's like to feel lonely or without a group, but if you do your best to be friendly and put yourself out there, you will find the right friends - you just gotta give it time. Smile

Marie H.

by blondegirl27 on 8/13/2011 9:21:57 AM

Oh this is helpful My first day was Monday so I wish i could have read this earlier... haha oh well i think i did okay Smile

by girlygirl22werock on 8/13/2011 8:11:41 AM

MOD. I have a bad reputation at my school for being sensitive and crying all the time. I rarely ever cry around my family or my boyfriend, but when it comes to school, I guess the stress gets to me! I do well in school and have no problems learning, it's just a stressful environment for me. How can I change my peers' perceptions and make friends? My boyfriend has promised to introduce me to his school pals, and I'm not too quiet or nervous meeting his friends out of school. I'm just scared this will change once I hit the halls. Do you have any advice? Thanks so much. I really appreciate the answer!

Hey chica, I'm sorry stress is getting to ya!  I think the best way to deal with it is not to worry about your rep, but try to figure out what stresses you so much about school.  Is it classes, teachers, something else?  Once you figure out what the problem is, you can come up with a solution (that may mean asking for a little help from a parent or someone you trust!).  If you can deal with what's stressing you, the tears will disappear... and so will that rep!

School is a different environment, but just try to be your usual friendly self.  If the convo lags, you can ask them about what classes they're taking or what they're involved in.  Good luck!  xoxo

Marie H.

by jneverearley on 8/13/2011 2:37:28 AM

MOD
A Great article, btw. I always had trouble making new friends especially since my currents friends can be so judgmental at times. How do I meet new friends this school year, without my old ones getting in the way?? (But still not hurting their feelings).

Talk to new people and when you make new friends and if your friends have anything to say, talk to them about how their statements make you feel

Brittany G.