AN HOUR AGO One girl's dream dude comes to life in this new romantic thriller: http://t.co/xbUWi8hGDD

2 HOURS AGO Our fave 4 fashionistas from the Young Hollywood Awards: http://t.co/aK6YhM7ACD

3 HOURS AGO When to put the breaks on your #FWB relationship: http://t.co/QHXXVEw8w4

COMMENTS

Divin' diaper diva

I was so excited to go to my friend’s pool party, but two days before I had gotten my period. I don't like using tampons...

I got mine on the day of my best friends birthday party and it totally freaked me out. my mom was like, are you sure you wanna go? i was like, yeah i really want to go it sounds fun. it was kinda embarassing but we did not have to go swimming. Smile lucky for me. but it was kinda awkward 4 me.. and my mom warned me not to go swimming with one of those on! Laughing luckily

by taylorswiftfan1233 on 11/4/2011 1:18:17 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!!!! OK well i have been having ALOT of discharge Yesterday & Today is this normal will i have my period soon? Im not the kinda girl who knows very much about it! Thsnks. Helen

Hey Helen,

The amount of discharge you have isn't really a sign of when you will get your period. Discharge can sometimes be light, sometimes heavy, and sometimes totally go away for days on end. It's so confusing! Doctors say that girls typically experience discharge for 6 months - a year before their first period though, so that's something to go by. But there are no guarantees! Just know that you are totally normal and take it as a sign that your bod is developing right on track Smile
Lauren C.

by vintagestyle on 10/21/2011 9:17:58 PM

ha ha soooooooooooo funny girl!!!!!!

by Blablaglad21 on 10/19/2011 8:01:12 PM

The only way you can go swimming with your period is if you were a tampon ;) Never wear a pad in the water

by cindy5218 on 10/11/2011 2:11:18 PM

if anyone has a question i have a club called that time of the month where you guessed it we talk all about periods! please join!!

by gymgirl1998 on 10/8/2011 2:34:45 PM

MOD!MOD!MOD! I just got my "friend" today.Yesterday,before I got it, I saw a small slither of brown discharge, but today I saw enough that I could dye my hair with it, Is that normal?!

Hey girl,

Totally normal! Our periods normally start off light in flow and brownish/pinkish in color, before getting heavier and brighter red. This "light" phase can last for an hour or it could last for one-two days, depending on the month. Don't sweat it babe!
Lauren C.

by star6970 on 10/1/2011 10:09:39 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!! So my doctor said I was going to get my period this year but I don't even have discharge!! How does she know and will I actually get my period???

Hey girlfriend, she doesn't know the exact day and hour, but she can kind of guess by checking up on your body. Your hormone levels, age, and other things about your body give her an estimate on when you'll get your menstrual cycle. I suggest you get prepared by heading over to our period page, and reading up on them, that way you'll be ready when it is time. Hope this helps ya!!!! Let me know if you have anymore questions! Smile Smile

Lynae P.

by rollofdice on 9/28/2011 5:54:13 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's been a week before my period is due (the last time i got it was the first time, so this will be my second) and i've noticed there's been sudden spikes in my mood. Usually, i'm a very happy, cheery person, but ever since this past sunday, i've been super irritable,angry, and stressed at everything! what rlly stinks is that i'm taking most of my anger out on my mom, and i feel awful because she says i get mad at her for absolutely everything she does! is this what people call pms, and is it normal that it's happening to me before my second time of having my period? and how can i be a much better person to my mom? please help!!!!!!!

Hey missy, yup this is all completely normal. Every girl goes through pms before and during their period. All your hormones are raging, so it can be hard to control emotions. Some females get it worse than others, so just be sure to give your mom a head's up. Whenever you feel you're about to say or do something mean, stop yourself, breath and change your actions. Be sure to apologize to your mom too! Hope this helps!! Smile Smile Smile

Lynae P.

by Phoenix In Flight on 9/17/2011 6:32:48 PM

MOD MOD MOD I i am just getting used to light tampons. I really should be using regulars. THe lights used to hurt um coming out but not really any more. Should i try using a regular size today? will it hurt since its bigger then what i am used to?

You should use a tampon that suits your flow so that there is no pain Smile

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by rockerchick411 on 9/17/2011 11:15:45 AM

MOD MOD! So I got my first period in July and I haven't told any of my friends. My best friend just got hers this week, but she has not told me herself yet. I over heard her and my other friend talking about her period and I was shocked she hasn't told me yet. I am hoping she will tell me tonight when I see her but I also want to tell her that I have already gotten mine but I don't want it to seem like I am trying to one up her (i always thought she would get it first). But I hate that I have not told her yet. How do I tell her?

Hey girly, yeah I would call her on the phone and tell her I got it. She shouldn't think you're trying to one up her, it's your period. Everyone's going to get it eventually. Smile Smile

Lynae P.

by jorocks98 on 9/14/2011 8:01:36 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
Okay...so this is an awkward question, but the other day I tried to put in a tampon and I couldn't even fit it in! And it hurt! Now I'm really worried that I'm abnormally small "down there." Is that possible? And I'm also worried about...well frankly, will I ever be able to get married with this problem? Please help me I'm really worried!!!

Hey Sweetie,

Tampons are a tricky thing to get the hang of! But don't worry too much because a lot of girls have the same problem. You're completely normal down there, you just have to get used to inserting tampons. Check out these tips on using tampons, and don't forget the most important rule: relax! It's normal to tense up when you're trying to put in a tampon but if you just take deep breaths and have plenty of patience, you'll get it right eventually!
Rachel N.

by Luckycharmz on 9/9/2011 12:39:03 PM

MOD
Hey Mod, I've heard things about going swimming on your period. Like is it true that "your flow stops when you get in the water."??? I went swimming when i was on my period once and of course i wore a tampon, cause that's what ur supposed to do, but when i went to take it out i realized that my period had ended...but the tampon was wet, not with blood...did i not get it in right and it was the pool water? (it wasn't my first time or anything) Thanks sooo much! Smile Smile

Hey girl,

Read this article  - as you'll see, your period doesn't actually stop in water! I've known plenty of girls who skipped a tampon and leaked in the pool...way embarrassing! So make sure you always wear it when you're on your period. It's possible that it could stop while you're in the pool (like end for the week), but if you're only on your second day it's not just gonna stop because you take a dip. So be prepared!

Lauren C.

by HaNnAh BaNaNa! on 9/8/2011 6:41:54 PM

you can swim when you have your period without a tampon. the water stops the flow. just be careful when you get out if you have a light colored bathing suit!

by aleafofcool on 9/5/2011 6:35:32 PM

Mod mod mod mod
Ok, so i have 2 questions:
1. I get discharge every day, but most days it goes through to the other side of my underwear. Would you condsider this heavy?
2. I also have a doctors appointment soon. I don't have my period, but I think I will get it soon because my mom got it a few weeks after her 13th birthday, and it has been about a week and a half. What happens if you have your period when you have an appointment? What do you tell them?
Thanks!!!

Hey girlie,

1. It's kinda heavy, yep. But as long as it isn't like this every day (like it lightens up sometimes and you only have heavy bursts of discharge once or twice a day or so), you're totally normal Smile

2. Just be honest! If you have your period, tell them. Even though it sounds super gross, they've dealt with it before and won't be scared or awkward about it at all.
Lauren C.

by alkrox17 on 8/29/2011 11:14:00 AM

MOD MOD MOD!!! okay so i had my period for the first time july 27 this year and it hasnt come yet today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and p.s. im still a virgin

Hey girl, don't freak out! Most of the time girls have irregular periods, which means that their periods don't come on a set number of days. Its completely fine if you don't get it right "on schedule", because it is unpredictable and can come at any time.

xoxo tory

Tory N.

by kasurae on 8/24/2011 2:25:17 PM

Mod mod mod my period ended sunday,and i wiped today,and there was blood.what is wrong?

It may not have fully ended--wear a pantyliner until then Smile

Brittany G.

Brittany G.

by mathgeek221 on 8/23/2011 5:55:12 PM

i hate tampons. but when i play soccer or swim theyre more comfortable(and less embarassing) then a pd

by hbmsbraceface on 8/22/2011 10:47:37 PM

Mod mod mod Ok so there is a mixer coming up and my friends were all planning to go together. We are all bffs so idk why they wouldn't ask me to go too. When I asked my friend if she was going she said ya, so I asked who she was going with and she told me, but then she said I could come too, she was gonna invite me also but she forgot, and she said she wasn't trying to exclude me and apologized when I said I didn't feel like I was actually invited though. What should I do, should I still go, was it a pity invite or did my friend really forget to ask me? Please don't say not to be friends with them cause they are my best friends, thanks

Hey girl, I don't know if your friend forgot to ask you or not. But since she did end up inviting you, you should go and have a good time with them!

xoxo Tory

Tory N.

by Laxgal17 on 8/22/2011 3:59:13 PM

***************************************************
Hey girls!
Do you need advice?
I'm here to help! (:
Just comment on my profile, and I'll comment on yours, asap!
I can give you advice on just about everything, soooo, comment please! (:

********************************************************

by facebooker1240 on 8/18/2011 10:43:13 PM

everyone knows youre not supposed to wear pads in the water silly >.<

by maddehsaurr on 8/18/2011 1:47:15 PM

MODMODMOD
Hi, how are you? Anyways, I wanted to know if tampons are really bad for you because there are so many articles on how they have chemicals in them and could cause problems for you and not just TSS. I was wondering what you think because I use tampons but alternate between tampons and pads. Do you think that tampons are dangerous? Thanx in advanced! Smile

Hey Girl,

For more information on period protection options, check this out: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2010/07/30/Guide-to-Pads-and-Tampons.aspx

Sarah G.

by Pigletluver on 8/17/2011 2:11:52 PM

When I got my first period my mom didn't believe me bc I joke around about stuff and be silly. Anyway, I used the bathroom I saw the blood blah blah. I told my mom she said I don't believe u show me. So I had to turn my under around and show her (gross!) so that's my story!

by 1lauren18 on 8/17/2011 1:11:27 AM

Lmfao. that sucks, i wore one in a pool before but i had on my undie, tankie bottom, and basketball shorts so nothing happened...

by tezzyrose on 8/16/2011 10:35:49 PM

wow.

by smileysevvie on 8/16/2011 9:40:43 PM

Omg I did that and my pad fell out and floated around the pool

by Emsgaga21 on 8/16/2011 9:03:40 PM

i was at old navy when i first got mine my mom freaked out more than i did

by PolkaDots1999 on 8/16/2011 8:53:36 PM

You don't bleed in water. Make sure the area around your crotch is bloodstain free (get that from wearing pads) so the water can't wash anything off, and you'll see for yourself. Try it in the bathtub or a shower. If you are uncomfortable swimming while on your period, let your friends know you just want to tan and not get into the pool. If they make fun of you for it or don't want to be your friends, drop those "friends" because they are certainly not. Once you are comfortable using tampons, it will get easier. People don't buy them for nothing!

by annaisabanana08 on 8/16/2011 6:34:17 PM

I was with my much older sister, her husband and my dad- my mom hides her stuff So predictibly though!

by RaceTiger7 on 8/16/2011 5:54:12 PM

DUH. that's dumb, why would you do that?!

by erinthemaster on 8/16/2011 5:52:33 PM

Wow, thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. If you don't like tampons don't swim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by duckie97 on 8/16/2011 5:09:44 PM

I was going to the bathroom right before going camping by myself with my friends family when I got mine. The trip didn't go to well!Smile

by prettykitty121 on 8/16/2011 4:02:32 PM

when i got my first period i was home with my brother..thank god i knew where my mom kept her stuff!!!

by mzroseybud on 8/16/2011 3:34:03 PM