AN HOUR AGO Bring summer camp to your kitchen with this recipe for s'mores bars: http://t.co/KiwKQgIIrS

2 HOURS AGO Feeling pressured by your BF? @carol_weston weighs in: http://t.co/ep8EtKNgT5

3 HOURS AGO Hey #DMV divas, snag stellar internship advice from GL on Aug 5 at the @InternQueen party in DC! Click here to RSVP: http://t.co/lC3tGfESmN

COMMENTS

First day freak-out fix-its

If heading back to school has ya breakin' out in hives, check out our best tips to help you keep your cool!

i'm mostly worried about the relationship between my friend and i. she has been really mean to me in the past. i'm also starting high school (!) and am nervous about the homework overload and getting lost..... HELP!

by emmy-sue97 on 9/6/2011 10:23:37 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I want to go to school this year being a more mature girl.How do I have more being take me serious this year and get better grades? How do I get people to notice me?

Check out this article on getting good grades: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2011/07/26/Make-good-grades-great.aspx Smile As far as confidence, take a deep breath and remember, "new year, new you"--keep the smiles coming Smile

Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by Smileygirl86 on 9/3/2011 8:39:04 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
Okay, so i go to a catholic school. We are having some troubles with our stupid priests and idiot bishop. we are getting 4 new teachers, which i will have three of them. that takes up all but one period of new teachers. How do i make a good impression?
Plus, how do i get my crush to like me??

Hey! Participate in class and don't worry about being wrong. that's the best way to get a teacher to like you Smile for crush advice go here: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2011/08/30/How-to-approach-your-crush-at-the-very-start-of-school.aspx
Helen S.

by gleek13pgn on 8/31/2011 4:49:24 PM

-- The moderators can get reaaaaaaally busy with everything going on at this site (have you ever gotten a stock message saying they're currently busy and can't reply to your question?) So if you need advice, you can ask me Smile Hopefully this will help the mods a bit..--

Hey everyone Smile If you need to talk, I'm listening. Whether it's school, fashion, family, friends, (I'm cool with other topics too) I'll provide you with advice that comes from the most reliable source which you can trust- experience! So feel free to ask about anything, because advice for you could also help others in their daily lives. And yeah, it's true; no question is too weird/strange/awkward, haha. Things like that happen sometimes, but I've found that it's best to learn from my experiences, and enjoy life Smile

by foreverme! on 8/30/2011 3:13:36 AM

by foreverme! on 8/30/2011 3:09:07 AM

MOD MOD MOD!
today was my first day of school and at lunch i was with two of my friends and we couldnt find three seats together and i started breathing really heavily. I don't know if it was hyperventilating. It went on for about three minutes then i was okay. Is there something wrong with me?

Hey girl,

I can't say, just based on one incident. I'm sure you're fine if this is the first you've noticed of it - you might have gotten out of breath from climbing stairs or you could've just been breathing too lightly without realizing it. Just remember to take deep, calm, slow breaths especially when you're stressed or anxious <3
Lauren C.

by yesnohellogoodbye on 8/29/2011 7:08:49 PM

mod mod mod . Also, can you please not make this public? THanks

Hey girl, don't be stressed! Try drinking some tea, or some meditation before bed to help you relax.

Tory N.

by didiab999 on 8/26/2011 2:22:16 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD! I really like this guy. I'm pretty sure he knows that I do, and I can tell he likes me, too. The problem is, his friend likes me! And now, the first guy won't ask me out.What should I do?

Hey girlie, be patient. If he likes you then it'll work itself out in time. If you want to speed up the process then ask him out and see what happens.
Lauren T.

by emocam on 8/25/2011 6:41:16 PM

MOD!MOD!MOD! Tommorow is my first day of school and at orientation last night we got a "mini supply list" with about 8 things on it in addition to our regular supply list. Anyways, I lost it and i'm afraid my teacher might chew me out on the very first day!! Help! What should I do? I asked some of my friends and they said they didn't remember!

Hey girl, the beginning of the year can be hectic, so your teacher should understand! Just make sure you explain that you can't find it, and once you get the list you will take care of it right away.

xoxo Tory

Tory N.

by vannahb1999 on 8/24/2011 12:00:06 PM

I'd like to wear a little bit of makeup tomorrow (the first day of school). I usually dont wear makeup, so what should i do for a subtle look? Also, i don't really have a lot of makeup. only a travel sized kit thing my mom got me and mascara. no eye liner.
Thanks so much. I love GL! Smile

Hey girl, I'd just do some blush, liner, mascara and foundation: nothing big and just playing up your natural features.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by pottergirl135 on 8/23/2011 9:02:46 PM

MOD MOD MOD HELP!!!! How can I get over my awkwardness of hugging one of my guy friends? He used to be my crush so it is extra awkward!!! Thanx!!! x0x0

Hey chica, they more you think about it being akward, the more akward it will be. Try not to think about it so much. Eventually it won't be wierd. Hope this helps!!! Smile

Lynae P.

by MaxRide15 on 8/19/2011 11:24:45 PM

MOD MOD MOD! I want to try to get a BGF this school year but it's hard because every time I try to become friends with them,they think I'm flirting and then they flirt or ask me out! And when I tell them I just want to be friends,they get mad or forget about me! Help!

Hey missy, if you approach them, try letting them approach you. That way they don't think you're going after them. If they invite you to hang out one on one, suggest you guys hang out with a group of friends. That will help letting them know you want to be just friends and hang.

Lynae P.

by iluvmusic♥ on 8/19/2011 10:59:28 PM

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileWHO NEEDS ADVICE???LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing I'm emmiecandy and i'll answer your toughest questionsI'll answer embarassing ones or heartbreaking ones, random ones..ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING
just go to my profile and leave a comment Smile
(im also the owner of writers world)
SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile who run the world? GIRLS. SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

by emmiecandy on 8/19/2011 8:05:25 PM

MOD MOD MOD IM getting my braces tomaorrow and what color should i get for back to school other than pink orange or yellow???

Hey girl,

I love purple, blue, and green too! You can check out the colors at your orthodontist's office.
Sarah G.

by julia65773 on 8/19/2011 4:32:40 PM

thanks mod i'll do that Smile

by peace.love.jonas on 8/19/2011 3:10:17 PM

***MOD***
Hey mod, how are you? i could reaally use your help and im sorry this might be a bit long
during the fall time i usually play basketball and do crosscountry running. it usually works out fine but this year i really wanna play volleyball but it would conflict with basketball. this would be the first time i play volleyball in highschool (im pretty good at vb). the thing is basketball is familiar to me but volleyball is not...but i reaaaaaallly want to play volleyball...what should i do? also im not sure id be able to afford all of the basketball tournaments either? its so hard to choose like i think about bball and i want to play but then i think about vball and i want to play to!!! please help thank you!

Hey Girl!

This sounds like something you need to discuss with a parent or a coach. Weigh the pros and cons of each decision, and then make a choice -- and once you've decided, stick with it and give whatever sports you're playing all of your effort.
Sarah G.

by peace.love.jonas on 8/19/2011 2:55:13 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
Okay,so 1- I'm starting a new school I've been there a couple of times,but I want this to be the best year! Okay,so were not getting our scheduals till Monday morning (first day of school) my mom said theres going to be people to help-STILL! I'm really nerveious!!! 2-Okay so theres this CUTE boy from London there hes saw me like 2,and the 1st time was good.But the 2nd time I looked like a wreak! And I never talked to him,and I really like him so any tips? And I think hes a grade below me!
Okay,thanks so much!

Hey Sweetie,

Don't be too nervous! Everyone will be a little worried, and you'll have lots of people to help you. As for the boy in London, unless you see him regularly or live near him, it's not worth worrying about.
Sarah G.

by pinkandpurple101 on 8/19/2011 1:57:08 PM

Mod Mod Mod I submitted a poll a while ago how do I know if it has been used or not? Thanks =)

Hey Girl,

Try searching for it on the site!
Sarah G.

by 15hayhay on 8/19/2011 12:50:34 PM

OK so this guy goes to my school i knew him kinda but over the summer we talked over facebook n talked alot over txt n phone n now we really like each other he asked me out but i cant date and yesterday was my first day n i just hung out with my freinds and we smiled a ton at each other and waved n stuff but he wondered why we didnt talk and i told him i was just hanging out with my freinds n that we would tlk monday but im kinda nervous how can i get over it because i really like him n i dont wanna be a nervous wreck when i tlk to him thx !

Hey Sweetie,

Don't be nervous! It sounds like this guy is into you -- you don't have to worry about acting like a dork or impressing him. Just take deep breaths and talk to him like you would talk to your friends.
Sarah G.

by warrior rose on 8/19/2011 11:30:58 AM

MOD MOD MOD!
How do I learn to get up earlier? I already know the "go to bed earlier" trick! But that doesn't always help. Do you have any other tips???
I get a shower in the morning so I have to get up at like 6:15 a.m. Frown Thanks in advance! ~Haley

Hey Sweetie!

Getting up early can be hard -- but it's smart to start prepping for early wake up times for school now, before you actually havta go anymore. It'll take some time to adjust your sleep patterns, so make it gradual. If you have a week to go, get up fifteen minutes earlier everyday until you're rising everyday at 6:15. It'll make getting up for the first day way less painful.

Sarah G.

by fungirl123 on 8/19/2011 9:44:02 AM

At my school all the teachers just stand outside the doors and show you where to go for the first couple days! =)

by 15hayhay on 8/19/2011 1:54:05 AM

MOD!My friend and I are best buds, weve been friends for 3 years! But for a year or so, this stupid girl Taylor butt in.My friend Claire is now ditching me for Taylor. Its caused some fights for the last year but I try to ignore it. Taylor left for a whole summer to go to Kentucky and Claire and I regained our closeness, actually we got even closer. It was great, but then Taylor came back. They now do everything together and Im left out. It hurts my feelings alot. I have no problem with Claire having two best friends. It hurts my feel But the problem is Im left out. Taylors not even that great of a person! Claire just tries to make me feel better and cover up them hanging out with, "oh I don't even really talk to Taylor anymore" when they hangout every single day with Taylor living down the street from her. I was think about talking to Claire but I just dont want to seem annoying because Ive done it millions of times before and no affect is given. Should I talk to her and how & when?

Hey chicky, I’m a busy bee facilitating all the G-Blog jazz. Although I’d love to answer and chat with all ya gals, it’s just not possible at the moment. I’m sure our lovely bloggers here would love to help ya out with some great advice! Thanks for understanding. ♥, Your Blog Patrol Babes
Alyssa B.

by PinkZebra97 on 8/19/2011 12:27:51 AM

mod mod mod mod
I have a problem- I am really small, and it really annoys me for a lot of reasons. I am 12 years old and 4 foot 9. One problem that is BIG is that when I look at makeup in stores or go out to eat with my friends I get really wierd looks! People think I'm 8! Also, people always think that my friends are my babysitter! How to I make people think I'm older? Or look older? Thanks!

Hey girl, heels really help with the height, but I wouldn't sweat your young looks. Someday you'll consider them a blessing. Just continue to take care of yourself and don't let other people bring you down. You're beautiful the way you are.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by txtingirl on 8/18/2011 10:36:09 PM

Im going into highschool ; &Im most afriad of messing up [ the scedual, directions, or rules!]

by Pink0x on 8/18/2011 10:27:22 PM

the one thing i love doing when i don't know where something is...asking somebody new...preferably a hot one!!

by mscas on 8/18/2011 8:19:11 PM

mod mod mod
i want to pluck my eyebrows how do i ask my mom

Alyssa B.

by cranberry on 8/18/2011 7:53:03 PM

omg, chillaxingirlie98! You are so awesome!!!!!!! I LOVE Harry Potter!!!!!!! Laughing

by Violeta2552 on 8/18/2011 7:41:54 PM

MOD!!!
How can I participate more in class (I am kind of shy, so I am looking for some tips.) Thanks!

Alyssa B.

by Bridgge2010 on 8/18/2011 6:47:35 PM

I started school yesterday! Smile

by Bridgge2010 on 8/18/2011 6:45:50 PM

MOD MOD!
so theres this guy, lets call him austin. austin has liked me for a 1 1/2 yrs now, and ive secretly liked him back. at the begginning of the summer, we went to an amusement park with some friends together, and austin's best friend asked me if i liked austin. i got nervous and shy so i said no. ik his friend probably told him, so it's no wonder austin hasnt texted me all summer. except now im trying to text him, and he won't reply. do you think he's mad at me? how can i win back his affections?

Alyssa B.

by sarah.r on 8/18/2011 5:48:44 PM

MODMODMODMOD
I dont know how i am going to manage everything this year bcuz i have crosscountry in the morning and volleyball in the afternoon so when will i have time to do anything but sports and homework?????

Alyssa B.

by iamawesome2 on 8/18/2011 5:39:46 PM

The only thing i'm afraid of is the bus,, i get on earlier AND with the high schoolers this year .. ):

by lilgymnast11 on 8/18/2011 5:37:54 PM

Hey girls! Need advice? Then come on over to my profile, click on the club names "fasion-queen52"
join, and I'll get back to you!

Tootles!
fasion-queen52

by fasion-queen52 on 8/18/2011 5:06:48 PM

*************************************************************
JOIN MY NEW CLUB "MIDDLE SCHOOL MADNESS!" YOU CAN ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING FROM SCHOOL WORK TO THE NEW TREND AT YOUR SCHOOL THAT YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!!
XOXO
*************************************************************

by fern09 on 8/18/2011 4:48:43 PM

MOD MOD!!!!!
I have never used eyeshadow before i have beige skin and brown eyes which color is the best for me??

Hey girly!

Natural colors always look good with brown eyes. If you're feeling bold, you could also try light purples and violets.
Katelyn L.

by ally =) on 8/18/2011 4:31:47 PM

today was my first day of middle school and it was AWESOME!!! The only problem i had was that i went to the wrong room but it was still fun! but the weird thing was a kid in my art class kept falling alseep and he kept squirrming wich made my crutches fall and the kid cant read so when i heard that i thought:your in 6th grade nd cant READ how did you get here?!

by madsterw1 on 8/18/2011 4:25:06 PM

I'm starting high school, im kinda worried about getting lost, thats my only fear! Yikes, i dont want to feel like an idiot asking "uhhh, where is this, and that, and oh yeah wheres this?" lol

by tennischamp18 on 8/18/2011 4:21:03 PM

i was most worried about getting lost & not knowing anyone! i started yesterday & turns out i know a lot of people & i see my besties that i dont have classes w/ @ passing periods!!! yay! Smile i did get lost but its not that bad all the teachers r rlly helpful & if u ask where to go they'll help u & be rlly nice & sympathetic! good luck to all of u girlies who havent started yet & DONT FREAK- ull be great! <3

by sparklysydafrid on 8/18/2011 3:49:49 PM

I'm SUPER scared, and this article just gave me new things to be scared of. thanks Frown I'm going to middle school for the first time and im really shy and dont talk much. Im used to going to same classes as everyone else not with the bell and all IM SO SCARED D:

by jo7jo on 8/18/2011 3:38:11 PM

I'm starting my first year of middle school and I'm reallyy worried about being late to every class. But I'm going to orientation today so I should be set Smile

by Pumpkinbabby101 on 8/18/2011 2:58:31 PM

hey! if you guys love harry potter, totally join my club, "calling all harry potter lovers!" <3

by chillaxingirlie98 on 8/18/2011 2:35:06 PM

Hey girls! Love music? Join my new club Songwriters Music Club! See ya there! xoxo

by Duffawuff on 8/18/2011 2:01:01 PM

i'm mostly worried about drama...7th grade year was ruined by some mean people but i'm going to try my best to just focus on friends and school workSmile

by roxibaby420 on 8/18/2011 1:27:38 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!
I've got some trouble; due to some last minute vacation planning, I'm missing the first week of school. I'm going to be a freshman this year, and I have to skip orientation as well.
I only know where the auditorium is, and that because I'm a student in the music department, my locker will be in the hallway next to the auditorium.
I get my schedule next week, which is the week I leave, and I won't come back until the Sunday after the first week of school. I'm very stressed out about this and my parents can't get new tickets. Do you have any suggestions, aside from the map?
Thank you very much in advance!

Hey girl!

Try calling your school and telling them what's up. Ask them if you could come in early on your first Monday and maybe someone (a principal, teacher, friend, upperclassmen) could give you a tour and help you find your classes so that you know where you're going. If that's not possible, ask a friend to show you around as you walk to your classes. Don't stress out about it. If you end up getting lost on your first day, just ask someone to help you find out where you're supposed to be!
Katelyn L.

by biskii on 8/18/2011 12:04:14 PM

modmodmod
Next year I'm taking one AP class, two science classes- both honors,all honors classes and I have to do this MYP project which is a project that you can do anything (write a book, community service, build something etc) but it lasts the whole year and I don't know how I'm going to keep up with all the work thank you

Hey chica!

Try making a schedule for each day. When you'll work on your MYP project, what time you'll do your homework each night, when you'll set aside time on the weekends for studying, stuff like that. It will keep you on track and focused. Good luck!
Katelyn L.

by superstarlala on 8/18/2011 11:50:05 AM

I am going into eighth grade this year, at the same 7th to 8th grade school as last year. There are a lot of changes this year, including a new principle. I am not nervous about any of this, except for lunch. This year, lunch is the entire eighth grade, and nobody else.
I am fairly popular, and have a lot of friends. The problem is, this means that I have two large groups of friends, one of which has been my group since 3rd grade and have stuck with each other. They always fight, and are very negative.
I do not want to be stuck sitting with people I don't really want to be with, but I don't want to make them mad by sitting with my new (better) friends. What should I do?
I'm sorry that this is so long.

Hey girl.

I would say do what you want to do. You have to make yourself happy. It doesn't mean that you should forget your old friends altogether. After all, you have been friends with them for awhile. You could alternate sitting with the different groups. There are no rules that say you have to sit at the same table every single day. So sit where you want to sit! But don't forget your old friends.
Katelyn L.

by Colierox on 8/18/2011 11:40:15 AM

Mod: My friend is mad at me and wont accept my apoligy and i have apologized so many times! should i forget about her because shes mad at me for no reason or wait for her to come around?

Hey chica!

Sorry about your situation. If you've apologized, there's nothing any more that you can do. The ball's in her court now. I'd just give it time and see if she comes around. If she gets angry because she says "you're not trying," tell her you apologized and wanted to give her space to cool off. If she doesn't come around, it's not your fault. You tried and did what you could.
Katelyn L.

by FairyKari on 8/18/2011 11:18:29 AM

Mod: My teachers for this year are supposedly really mean! What can i do to get on there good side?

Hey girl.

The number one tip I can give you is to always do your work to the best of your ability and make sure you turn it in on time. Teachers love students that try their hardest on every assignment and are always prepared. Try not to talk too much during class, because it might upset them.
Katelyn L.

by FairyKari on 8/18/2011 11:16:01 AM

I'm a freshman and I'm not so much worried as excited. There are gonna be so many new kids! I can be myself and make new friends and they can't judge me based on the past. But, I am in all honors so I'm kinda nervous about that...I'm doing dance and acting and I also want to try out for some teams and join a club or two...I hope I can do all that!

by millina*girl on 8/18/2011 10:13:16 AM

MODS!!! i need to deside really fast if i wanna switch schools (from private to public, freshman yr) The reasons I'd switch are mostly for social reaqsons (i'd have a better chance of dating, more friends... ect.) It absultely terrfies me tho cuz i know no one and i've dealt w/ not so nice ppl from there... At my school im safe and have plenty of friends (not the best always but, i'm nv alone) no worries( also very small chance of dating)... but i've been wanting to switch for some times... are switching for a better chance of having a bf and more friends a good enough reason to go thorugh all this stress??? idk was it worth it for you?

Hey girl!

I don't think that switching for a BF is ever a good idea, whether you already have on or are trying to find one. You can always meet someone from another school and date them. But I don't think that you should uproot your whole life from one school and move to another just because you want a boyfriend and new friends. You have your whole life to meet guys and have boyfriends. Just enjoy life where you are with who you have in it for right now!
Katelyn L.

by country_luvah on 8/18/2011 10:05:16 AM

um im worried about forgetting to do my homework. i did that in elementary school alot but i dont they will stand it in middle school.

by lizziefizzie on 8/18/2011 9:57:43 AM

I'm gonna be a freshman in high school a week form Monday. Ahhh! I'm excited, nervous, psyched, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I also made the freshman field hockey team at my school so I'll playing field hockey this year too. I'm so pumped! Oh and just a little advice for you peeps out there worried about getting lost: always ask a techer for directions. Most of the time if you ask an upperclassman they'll give you fake directions unless you're friends with them. So just stick with asking teachers. Kay see ya!

XOXO~Courtney <333333

by cmn5297 on 8/18/2011 9:20:01 AM

MOD!
this year i have AP european geography and lunch back to back with my old best friend. she thinks we're still super close even though we haven't talked all summer (my choice, but a phone works both ways). my actual best friend and some other friends have lunch with me, and i'm going to sit with them but my old best friend still thinks and expects that i'll sit with her and her friends that i don't like. she thinks that just since we've been neighbors for 12 years that it constitutes being best friends. it doesn't. what should i do?

Hey girl.

I say just sit where you want! If she tries to talk to you about it, don't be rude about it, but just say you're going to try sitting somewhere new and branching out.
Katelyn L.

by smileysevvie on 8/18/2011 9:17:02 AM

You cannot not get lost in my school.... It's a big square. And the new 6th graders get the whole 2nd floor to themselves, and they only go downstairs for band/choir, health/pe, and spanish.

by jennal923 on 8/18/2011 8:56:24 AM

My school's stupid and isnt having an orientation! Of course it would be the year i go up to the high school. We are having one but its the first day of school. At least i have my bro and his friends for help.

And the teachers can be as mean as everyone says. My bro had a teacher that gave him HUGE stacks of homework every week. He would spend hours on it.

by taylorswiftfan1236 on 8/18/2011 8:45:57 AM

These are really good tips. We don't get locker combos in my school, cause we have a "trust system". Yet, i am always missing my writing utensils Smile
I'm so ready for school to start though.

by basketballcutie11 on 8/18/2011 7:09:10 AM

My friend said she worried about if she walks into the door or something!!

by Milk&Cookies on 8/18/2011 3:56:47 AM

i dont wanna go back!! :'(

by girlslifeluver on 8/18/2011 2:48:06 AM