Bridget M.

is modding

AN HOUR AGO First time runnners: This is how ya get prepped for your first race! http://t.co/Fj5hMpOn7r

4 HOURS AGO Which @5SOS guy ditched the group? http://t.co/ha18y5CgrB

5 HOURS AGO Don't deck the hall, deck your nails with 5 fab Christmas manis: http://t.co/lRl4FxZNXW

COMMENTS

My 'rents won't get off my case!

School just started and already my parents are pushing me to get straight-A’s and do a billion extracurriculars. They’re driving me nuts.

MOD MOD MOD!!!!
Okay, so my mom and I fight A LOT! And the last oe that just happened didn't end so well...I told her I hate her and she said that she's gonna take my door down, take my radio, not give me my phone back (they took it last week) and that she was gonna get me a therapist for getting mad (???) So anyways, how am I supposed to work things out with her and not get mad? OR get her to be mad? Cause this time she got in my face and I yelled at her not to get in my face and so she grabbed it....help! Please I don't want to always be fighting with her! MY dad and 2 sisters are camping so it's me her nd my lil sis! I don't want to be mad at her forever! Please help ASAP! Thanks <3

Hey chica, sounds like you need to make an apology. I know it's hard, but you've gotta show your mom that you're mature enough not to have your stuff taken. Not sure what exactly your argument was about, but just try to see things from her point of view. She's probably just trying to keep you safe. Don't be mad at her, and definitely don't try to make her more angry.
Carrie R.

by Jaime98766 on 7/16/2012 3:44:05 PM

MOD!
So I really want to get a facebook account so I can connect with friends over the summer. But my mom keeps saying that it "opens a whole new level of drama". I have tried to talk through it with her but she just keeps saying that! How can I convince her otherwise?

Hey girlie,

Check out this article about reasoning with parents. Take baby steps and keep calmly talking about the subject so you can each see the other's point of view! The truth is though, your mom has the final decision. So if she isn't thrilled about you getting a Facebook right now, ya gotta trust that she's making the right decision. Maybe there's a way you can compromise - maybe you can agree to wait two years, or she can hang onto your password in case she's worried about your behavior on the site. Not sure what will help her feel more comfy, but that's why you have to talk to her and ask her - you'll figure something out if you stay calm, stay mature, and keep trying!

Lauren C.

by rachel_m on 7/10/2012 10:04:56 PM

My mom has been bugging me about calories. I really want to lose weight and get lean and toned, but all she seems to care about is calories, calories, calories. She got mad because I had Special K cereal with Silk Milk and one piece of multi-grain toast. I didn't think that was a lot of calories. I mean she doesn't know what I will eat for lunch. I hate asking her for advice on almost anything, because I feel she doesn't understand and she doesn't speak in a soothing, enthusiastic, voice on something that is a fragile situation(my weight). She always says how skinny she was growing up and toned she was when she was 18. I am only 14 and I don't need all of that breaking me down. I honestly don't think she understands. I told her let me do my thing and she do hers. She got mad and stuff, so now I got to like lose a lot of weight to prove to her calories isn't everything. PLEASE HELP ME. Thnx. :/ I know my mom wants the best for me and loves me but if only you knew.

Hey Girl--

I'm sorry your mom is making you feel upset about your eating habits. Getting healthy is a wonderful idea but theres no reason you need to be counting calories-- diets never last. Instead, maybe you two could learn to cook healthy meals together-- lots of whole grains, veggies, protein and fruit.

Try approaching her nicely and telling her that her tough criticisms and comparisons are doing you more harm than good. Can you talk to a nutritionist to help you plan a healthy meal plan and workout schedule?

good luck!!
simone s.

by andsothelionfellinlovewiththelamb on 7/10/2012 2:12:16 PM

MODMODMODMODMOD
So lately, my parents have been getting WAY TOO overprotective. Sometimes they wont let me stay in my room, they tell me to come down and be with the family. I ask my mom why, and she says "Because I dont know what your doing. You might be doing bad things on computer." So apparently my parents dont trust me Frown Also, my parents dont let me wear tank tops or short shorts. And, I have been going for daily morning runs for a couple months now, but today when I came back they said "its not safe to go alone, either find a running partner, or dont go!" And I dont have any partner who would want to go with me>Frown I am so frustrated and just feel like crying. It seems like they are ruining my lifeCry HELP PLEASE!!

Hey girl!  Your parents are just looking out for your wellbeing.  If they don't feel like you're safe out running alone, try doing sprints in your backyard or running on the stairs in your house.  Or ask your mom to come running with you!  It will give you guys time to talk and she may start to trust you a little more.  If the computer makes your mom nervous, tell her that she can check out what you're doing on the web history or tell her she can block bad sites.  It might seem like they are babying you, but your parents want you to be safe and healthy. Good luck! xoxo

Kate G.

by pinkcoconut on 7/10/2012 11:39:45 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!
Okay, so my mom who has been a stay at home mom my whole life recently went back to work full time. This has been a HUGE change for me, but I know that my mom is really enjoying working again, so I have been really "go with the flow" (which is already really hard). But then today she sprung on me the fact that with the new insurance for her new job, I would have to switch doctors. She said she found a really good one, but I am really attatched to my doctor. I have had her my whole life and I feel comfortable with her. I am 16, so I will have to switch anyways in two years, but this was out of no where for me and it is freaking me out cuz I don't want to switch! I am a person who gets very nervous/anxious about medical visits and shots and stuff and usually end up in tears or on my moms lap. (it sounds bad but this is a HUGE issue for me). Help! I don't know what to do! I know I have to change, but how can I feel confortable with it?!?! HELP! PLEASE!

Hey girlie,

I totally understand where you're coming from but, like you said, you have to change the doctors because it would be a MAJOR expense otherwise. Try to keep reminding yourself just how much this will mean to your mom - she really loves working again and the whole process will be even better for her if there aren't any problems/she doesn't have any reason to feel guilty. You would've changed doctors in a couple years anyway, so try to challenge yourself to accept this change and learn from it - it'll make it easier to roll with the punches when you get older! The first couple appointments might feel awkward and it's ok to feel nervous, because it's an unfamiliar situation. But you WILL get to know your new doctor and, over time, you'll feel comfy around him/her. It's just like getting a new teacher at the start of the school year or making a new friend - it takes time to settle in! But that doesn't mean you can't do it. Take a deep breath, ask any questions you have (even if they seem silly to you), and it'll all be ok <3
Lauren C.

by emonroe26 on 7/9/2012 10:07:21 PM

MOD
I have this weird feeling my mom's gonna die soon. The only thing is that she's perfectly healthy. I live with her and my brother in a different state than the rest of my family (we moved last year). Why do I feel like this and how can I stop it?

Hey girl!  I'm sorry that you're feeling this way.  You're dealing with some anxieties and worries that are probably making you over think things and only think about the worst possible case.  Why don't you try to connect with your mom more to remind you that she is fine and loves you.  Phone calls, Skype, anything will help.

xxoo
Maggie P.

by Sonnet on 7/5/2012 1:44:08 AM

okay so my mom is WAY TOOOOO STRICT
she tells me that im always "pushing the limits". if the argument is about clothing she keeps asking me why i want to dress so sexy. will never let me wear any clothing that has sleeves shorter than a t-shirt. In fact,the only tops i have are t-shirts (not even in summer, ugh!)the shortest shorts i own go to my mid thighs. i have 2 racerback tank tops but i have to wear t-shirts underneath.my mom always wore a uniform and only cared about her grades when she was in school and she wants me to be the same. Plus, what makes it worse is that my school has a dress code which is no spaghetti straps and shorts have to be at your fingertips. so when i (calmly) tell my mom that is can still wear things that fit the dress code that arent t shirts she always says: "just because other people do it, does it make it right? most times she ends up yelling and i end up crying. We just cant compromise. that was a long message Smile. HELP ME!

Hey girl!  It might not seem like it, but your mom has your best interest in mind.  Try going along with her rules for awhile.  T-shirts and long shorts and skirts can still show your style!  Show your mom you accept her rules, and as you get older I'm sure she will relax.  Sorry, but for now, you might just have to stick it out!  xoxo

Kate G.

by anikadandekar on 7/2/2012 11:49:11 PM

MOD MOD MMOD!!!
My bFF is moving away since she is a military family. SHe has been the closet bff iv'e ever been too. I am so upset! I dont show it though. I dont want to look all weak. I'm so sad too because next year we were going to go to the same middle school! (7th) How will i make new friends like her at my new school? The girls in my class iv'e all been bffs with and 2 are opposites and the other one tried to controll me. What do i do in middle school? I'm afraid i'll be made fu of. I think I am alittle now.

Hey girlie,

The most important thing is to remember how many ways there are to stay in touch with the friend you do have! Texting, phone calls, Skype video calls, email, Facebook, instant message, regular mailed letters, etc. We're so lucky these days - I can't imagine what it was like before when you could only write or call someone! Use that as a way to stay connected and keep up with each other's lives. As for friends next year, embrace the fact that you're going to middle school. Since it's a new school, there will most likely be new faces in your classes - which mean more potential friends! Try to challenge yourself to be out-going and make small talk with your neighbors at your locker or before classes start, go up to a lunch table and ask if you can sit down (then chat with them once you do), join a new club or sport, and overall be confident, strong, and happy during your first days. You can do it!!! This will set a great tone for the rest of the year Smile
Lauren C.

by chick987 on 10/21/2011 9:19:32 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!
one of my best friends is very religious and she has an amazing family. her fathers a pastor her mom is awesome and she has 3 younger siblings. everyone likes her because she is so nice and her youth group friends threw her a surprise birthday party and everything. her life is almost perfect, the perfect family perfect friends and well my life isn't even close. i want her life so badly. she goes on family vacations to go apple picking or they go to a historical landmark for the day and i just want to be her! is that so bad! she doesn't have to worry whether her family will always love her, and if she will have parents next year. i just wanna trade lives. do you have any advice??? please.

Hey girlie!

I've found that the phrase "the grass is always greener on the other side," is very, very true.  You may think you want her life, but I assure you, she feels the same way about somebody else's (or maybe even yours!)  There's no use being jealous of what she has, when I know you have plenty of things to be grateful for in your life.  Make a list, or think up one.  I'm sure you'll feel much better when they're all out there.
Jordan S.

by ImJustMe96 on 9/29/2011 1:53:21 PM

MODMODMODMODMOD I have been on a community swim team for five years. I have not had one year where I have enjoyed swimming. My mom pushes me to participate, by signing me up and paying for the season without asking me first. She coaches for the younger kids. This afternoon, she told me that I could quit- only if I play basketball. I have never played basketball in my life, except for gym class, where I am known to be terrible at the sport. I am also not assured a place on the A or B team, where all of my friends play. I told my mother that I am not interested- so she said I could take the season off, only if I get straight As. I am not a straight A student. I am also super high anxiety, and am now struggling to keep myself from going crazy. I have no idea what to do. It makes me cry to think about. Help!

Hey chicky, I think you need to really sit down and talk to her. Let her know that all this pressure she is putting on you is making you feel bad. I'm sure your mom doesn't mean any harm, and only wants the best for you, but she needs to know her requests are really starting to affect you. Sit her down and be completely honest with her. Can you think of any things you do like to do? Ask her if you can participate in those activities instead. Hope this helps chicka!! Smile  Smile

Lynae P.