12 HOURS AGO Do you think smoking is a big deal? http://t.co/wRmpH82b03

15 HOURS AGO 5 ways to remix your salad routine: http://t.co/ritxTtorOn

16 HOURS AGO 5 furry friends you need to follow on Instagram ASAP: http://t.co/PVxAb5RkaE

COMMENTS

Middle school is turning me into a stress mess!

I started junior high this year, and I find it very overwhelming. I don’t have time for all the things I love—boys, friends, shopping, etc. What can...

MOD MOD MOD!!!!
Hey, so last year I was really really unpopular and antisocial. It was getting to the point where I would cry just about whenever I was alone, and I did a lot of unhealthy things to myself.
So, I decided it had to stop: over the summer I gave myself a complete personality makeover, and made myself be more outgoing and friendly.
So this year, I made friends with a lot of new people, which was great! I felt like I could rule the world by just being nice! But then all the popular people who used to snub me are sucking up to me and being all nice.
Is it because I'm a better person to be around? Or because I'm popular? I feel like they want to add me to their "Collection" of popular friends! Help!
Thanks! xoxo, Jillian

I think its because youre being so friendly. But be true to yourself Smile being nice is fantastic! but be sure to not become friends with people just because theyre popular. You should like your friends. Good luck! xoxo kerra
Kerra S.

by i♥drama on 9/30/2011 5:13:01 PM

Help! One of my sister's friends is cutting herself because the guy of her dreams (her bf) dumped her, and rumor has it, likes someone else. Plus, she also was a better person when she was dating him, so now she swears all the time and stuff. Please, we need advice. Like, how do we help her to understand, that because he dumped her doesn't mean she has to try to kill herself. And I have a friend who is upset because her bf (now ex) almost kissed another girl, and she also found out he only liked her for her violence, and he said he wanted to do drugs, so now she can't get her mind off him, 'cause she really liked him. So, yeah, I need advice.

Hey sweetie,

I can only imagine how tough things must be for you and your friends. Because we only want the best for you and for them, it's extremely important that you speak to a trusted family member, doctor, guidance, counselor, or teacher. Additionally, the Tough Stuff hub is built around questions that are difficult to answer (http://www.girlslife.com/hub/tough-stuff.aspx) and these are lists of hotlines you can call if you feel like you need to talk someone and there's no one else (http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx). I wish you all the best. xoxox
Devin A.

by flyaway99 on 9/23/2011 4:40:47 PM

It is so stressful because we are changing, we are starting do do things on our own. We have all this school work to do, sports activities, dealing with friends and their issues, dealing with GUYS, trying not to let our parents down. So yes, its a stressful time. I try to enjoy everyday and get a good nights sleep for energy and the next day. Eating well helps too.

by luckykel on 9/20/2011 3:01:42 PM

Im in 8th grade this year. Girl, you might seem stressed now but in a little bit you be good. Taake it from me I was tha girl who did her homework and went to bed. Now, i go out with friends and talk about boys and of course date them all the time.Im your having trouble geting over this big step in life, talk to someone like a parent or gardian. It does help. One lat thing dont sit and do nothing get up and at least call friends or text the guy you really like. He will sometimes give you a good comment or two.

by abaird716 on 9/17/2011 7:26:27 PM

Hi
My school is a really good school but ther is someone there that is really bad behaved in my class and my friend and me found out he selling stuff that is bad.so then we told are other friends then they told the teacher and they r going to do something about and then we told arr parents
But what we didn't tell them is that he smokes weed
Should we tell them I'm really confused right now plus he in 6th grade so isn't it bad for his lungs
Isntbit illegal

Hey girlie,

It's true that the choices he is making are bad, both for his body and his future. But everyone goes through phases where they try things, experiment, and make mistakes. If a teacher knows, the school will take care of his destructive behavior and help him the best they can. Now, it's not your job to "save" him from smoking weed or tattle on him further - instead, learn from his mistakes and make better choices in your own life! You're smart enough and respect your body enough to realize that his behavior isn't healthy, so vow to yourself that you won't go down that same path <3
Lauren C.

by Jgirlfashion on 9/15/2011 6:44:22 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!
Ok so im suppppeeeerrrr stressed! Every night, we have tons of homework. I just joined color gaurd, so that takes up tons of time. I really have fun at it, but is it worth quitting if it makes me so stressed? My grades are still good, but im scared that ill fail something. Are there any ways to destress super fast (like 10 minutes) or cut back all together? Thanks!
PS you guys give amazing advice and this is my favorite website! Love you guys!!!!
-Ashley <3

Hey girl!

I think if you really love color guard, you should stick with it - being involved with a team at school is a great experience! Besides that, you'll learn time management skills, which will help you throughout life. In order to destress super fast, I always talk to my mom - she always has great advice and knows what to do! When I feel frustrated with all of my homework, I close my eyes and see myself as editor - in - chief of a magazine, the job I've always really wanted, to remind myself of why I'm doing all of this work in the first place. When your dreams are right in front of you, it's hard to procrastinate. Good luck! xoxo
Devin A.

by sunshinestar106 on 9/12/2011 4:31:13 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
Okay, so theres this guy in my 6th period and I sit next to him. He seems annoying, and kinda kind and funny. He has a problem with his voice and speech. These two guys are constantly making fun of him and plugging their noses when they speak to imitate him. I feel so bad for him! I try to get the nerve to stand up for him, but I can't find it. Any advice to find it and help him?

Hey girlie,

It's so sweet that you want to stick up for this kid! Bullying is wrong but it's also hard to beat, so don't feel defeated if you can't muster up the nerve to stand up for him once and for all. Still, that doesn't mean you can't help. First off, never take part in the teasing - either by saying mean things or laughing. It doesn't interest you, so tune it out and do NOT participate. Next, you can help this guy not by being his bodyguard, but instead by being nice to him. Be friendly to him, ask him about his weekend, compliment him on his choice of shirt, and give him help whenever he needs it. Knowing he has a friendly face to turn to in your class will be a relief for him - bullying is really hard for a lot of people but, with support, he has a better shot of making it through healthy and happy with who he is <3
Lauren C.

by AvatarTLA on 9/10/2011 12:53:26 AM

Miiddle school stresses me out sooo much. I spend so much time doing homework and studying etc... that i have no time for hanging out with myfriends, shopping etc...

by Apple cake on 9/9/2011 11:51:46 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
Ok so basically I just started 7th grade. I don't really like it. It sn't something I can just drop out of either. It is soooooo much different then 6th grade, we get a lot of hw. I am also ALWAYS scared thhat I am gonna forget my hw, supplies or get in trouble. I am a good student too. Also I am in not a single class with my best friend and I dont think we are sitting at the ame lunch table because she already has the max amount of people but I think I have a lunch table but I dont want to grow apart from her. Also I have been crying a lot lately and kinda feel very moody. My class group I am only friends with like 3 people. I know basically everyone were just not close or anything. I am with this group for 5 classes. The rest of my classes are fine but I am not very happy with my group for the 5 classes but we switch next quarter. I just need help or something!!!!

Hey Doll,

Middle school is a stressful time, especially in the beginning, but it does get better. Managing all your classes will take some work, but start by getting a planner. When a teacher assigns something, write it down immediately so you won't forget. Each night before you go to bed, write down what you'll need in class the next day and pack your bag with everything. Double-check in the morning to make sure you didn't forget anything. If you were a good student in the past, you'll be able to succeed this year too! Use the same study skills, but if you have a larger class load to balance, plan specific times to study each subject. That way, you'll be prepared when it comes test time.

It's hard not to have any classes with your bestie, but if you can't sit together at lunch, make sure you make time for each other after school. Have study sessions or edit each other's papers, and don't forget to hang out on the weekends! The stress of moving up a grade is probably what's making you moody, make sure you don't bottle up your emotions and tell someone when you're feeling sad. Check out this list of the friends you need and start getting closer with the people in your class group. And here are some more tips for a great school year. I hope it gets better for you!
Rachel N.

by pumpernickel88 on 9/8/2011 4:11:58 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
Hey i'm new to Girlslife and just wanna say i like it so far Smile. Okay so i have a few questions here goes...
1. I am a new student this year and i start Tuesday. How am I ever going to make new friends? Is it corney to be formal and say hi im such and such wanna be friends?
and
2. What do I do if i have a crush this year? I had a crush last year and when i told him and asked him to a dance he avoided me the whole year! Can you say awkward? how do i prevent this with future crushes? oh and thanks sry its so long

For your first question just be outgoing and talk to people! Be nice and youll make friends. As for your second questions, boys are often awkward, but youll come across ones who arnt. ONce that non awkward boy comes around youll have found a good match. So dont worry! be yourself and youll be fine. xoxo kerra
Kerra S.