4 HOURS AGO Now even shy girls can get their flirt on: http://t.co/c0HifzMGQb

8 HOURS AGO Who knew babies and sloths (yes, sloths!) could be such good friends? http://t.co/t3cHUse1PC

9 HOURS AGO ICYMI @Zendaya's starring in a brand new movie: http://t.co/1VDEbqpbHp #zswaggers

COMMENTS

Will I have a heavy period forever?

Today, I had my first period, and it’s heavier than I thought it would be...

MODMODMODMODMOD
i have had my period a few months, this month I had my period for like 5 days and then it slowed and stopped for like 2 days and now its back! Not counting the days it stopped I have had it 8 days. What is going on? And what is the longest you can safely have your period before going to a doc?

Hey Girl,

When you first start menstruating, you won't have a regular cycle yet! It could be one day or ten days! The average length of a period is 5-7 days, so no worries!
alicia m.

by RideBabyRide on 2/7/2012 10:15:37 AM

I have had my period for 8 days now and it's still not slowing down. It's my third period. Should I see a doctor now because it's been going on for so long?

Hey girlie,

No worries! 8 days is still totally normal. Your periods will sometimes vary - they'll be light and only 5 days long, they'll be heavier and 7-9 days, then a normal flow for 7 days, etc. It's tough to predict. But don't worry, 8 days is in that "normal" range! <3 It'll stop soon, hang in there!
Lauren C.

by horsebackrider12 on 2/5/2012 11:36:23 AM

Hey kitkate963, mhmm it could've been. Usually brown is old blood. Was there brown stuff after your period?

Mod I'm adding on to my previous question. Does this mean that having brown stuff about 6 months ago was my 1st period? Lynae P.

by kitkate963 on 2/1/2012 7:42:32 PM

Hey busybee99, yep that's completely normal. The bleeding doesn't stop when you use the bathroom. Xoxo

MODMODMOD
I have my period right now and whenever I use the bathroom and the i wipe its bloody!!!! i dont wear a tampon only pads! is that normal! please hurry Lynae P.

by busybee99 on 2/1/2012 7:37:09 PM

MOD!
For the past 6 months once a month I had a week of my period except it was brown. Then for the past 2 days it was brown. Then all of a sudden today it was blood and HEAVY! is this normal? o and when you have heavy flow will something happen when you go to the bathroom? please help ASAP!!!1

Hey chica!

The flow being irregular and brown is completely normal and happens to everyone. When the flowing is slow, which happens quite often, the blood oxidizes and turns brown. You shouldn't have any problems using the bathroom. Smile

Krupali D.

by kitkate963 on 2/1/2012 3:50:23 PM

This is not my first period, it's my 4th. Usually it starts off brown for 2 days, then turns red and continues for 6 days. This time I was with my friends and I felt a gush, and it started out bright red. Later on that night it slowed right down to almost stopping! And even at night time I barely got anything and it's only the second day and my period usually lasts 7 days. Do you think it will speed back up again? Or... am I having a super short period?

Hey girlie,

It's possible that you're having a super short period, but chances are it's just a little irregular this time and started quickly. Keep using a light pad for the next couple days because it'll probably come back - even if it's lighter than usual when it does. I wouldn't worry about it! Smile
Lauren C.

by horsebackrider12 on 1/29/2012 8:25:19 AM

Hey maddiescar97, the may be hurting because they're the wrong size. Try going down to a smaller size and see if they feel comfortable. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Modmodmodmod
it's a little embarrassing to ask, but are tampons always supposed to hurt when you put them in? i've tried some a couple times but i really don't like to use them because they kind of hurt. is there any way to help them hurt less? thanks! Lynae P.

by maddiescar97 on 1/28/2012 5:17:31 PM

MOD MOD MOD ok so I just learned how to put a tampon in and it hurt trying to put it in but when it was in it didn't hurt so is it bad for tampons to hurt when u try to put them in and 2. im only in grade 6 but i had my period for a year is it bad for me to wear tampons i heard at my age u shouldn't because i do allot of sports so should i not wear tampons ?

Hey girl,

There's no one age that's okay to wear tampons, so talk to your mom about whether it's right for you!

Meghan D.

by mozilla10 on 1/28/2012 8:38:28 AM

Hey Rosalie2996, it's completey normal for it to run in the shower, especially if you have a heavy flow. Mine does all the time, so no worries. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Hey! It's me again. So I've had my period for about three years now, and every time I'm on it, I never EVERtake a shower. I know that's probably bad, but when I first got mmy period and took a shower, it was like dripping down my leg and it just felt and looked so wrong! Is that even normal?! R u supposed to use a tampon when going in the shower or something? I've never used a tampon and my period has always always ALWAYS been super super heavy, I just don't know what other girls do, and I really need some advice. Thanks! Frown Lynae P.

by Rosalie1996 on 1/27/2012 7:45:07 PM

Hey Natalie1996, sometimes water can stop or slow down your flow. For some girls it kinda stops when they're in water. If that's not the case with you, you can always keep your tampon in. If you period is really unbearable and if you don't feel comfortable on it, then I wouldn't go on the trip. Hope is helps! Xoxo

MOD MOD MOD! Hi! Okay so I really need your help. We are going to the ocean for spring break with my friend, but I'm extremely extremely extremely worried and scared that me being my lucky self, will get my period then. I started like three years ago Frown it's not really completely normal yet, so I don't know exactly when it will come... I don't use tampons yet, and I really don't plan to either... My period is SUPERheavy almost always and I'm just scared that if I do get it, I really won't have any idea what to do. Please help or give some advice! It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! Lynae P.

by Rosalie1996 on 1/27/2012 7:36:59 PM