3 HOURS AGO Tell us how you feel in our survey about smoking: http://t.co/6Q9EeXv0yg

3 HOURS AGO 5 fun fitness guru videos: http://t.co/ltFmHhPXLG

4 HOURS AGO 5 book babes who had #awesomesauce summer jobs: http://t.co/fbg3ePO9v9

COMMENTS

Early bird period

My period seems to be getting earlier and earlier every month! I just got mine today and it's about a week earlier than last month.

MOD MOD MOD!
Please answer quick! I am having bad cramps because I am on my period, but im going skiing tomorrow. WHat can i do to make the cramps go away?

Hey girlie,

Make sure you nibble on some food so it doesn't irritate an empty stomach, then take one or two Advil tablets with a glass of water. It'll help relax your muscles and the pain will feel less intense! And remember - cramps don't last forever. They'll be gone SOON - they might even be gone when you wake up! <3
Lauren C.

by Pinklife on 1/6/2012 11:23:07 PM

hey Mod okay so this is my first year having a really heavy period. I had a period about 2 weeks ago and it's back already. Tong I've bled through my pads both times once or twice each period. so I'm wondering is this normal and should I use tampons?

Hey girl,

Everyone's flow is different, so if you're bleeding through your pads, try changing them more often. If you want to start using tampons, talk to your mom about the pros and cons. http://www.girlslife.com/category/periods-period.aspx

Meghan D.

by Nikichic on 1/6/2012 7:10:48 AM

We dont have to worry about missing our periods unless we have been sexually active and from what I learned on gl, being sexually active means more than just actual intercourse. I think even if a guy ejaculates near our 'down there' things can still happen.

by luckykel on 1/5/2012 11:38:17 PM

Okay I haven't hit it since November is this normal I have had my period for 5 months know I really am worried

by boycrusher191 on 1/5/2012 8:45:43 PM

Seriously freakin, period should start Christmas morning... Any tips on that one?

by softballgal101 on 12/22/2011 10:11:23 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
I'm 14 and I've been getting my period for about 2 years. My average cycle is about 35-40 days, this seems really long, is this normal?

Hey girly,

In the first couple of years that you have your period, things take a little while to even out. Don't worry. This is perfectly normal right now.

Catie C.

by hockeygurl on 12/20/2011 4:34:19 PM

Hey mod (: i've had my period for over two years and it was getting really regular. It's always been that it there would be a weeks diference each month. Everything was normal until the end of November came ( i was expecting it to come then) and it didn't come. It still hasn't come. I'm not pregnant or anything. I know that school has gotten really stressful and I started doing a lot more exercise. I figured it was just due to stress. Oh, and also I've been having discharge for awhile, as if it's going to come but it never does. Should I be worried?

Hey babe,

Nope, no need to panic. Even after two years, it's normal for a period to freak out once in a while. Especially since you've had some changes to your routine - the stress, the exercise, maybe a change in appetite/sleeping patterns. All of these things could affect it! Instead of adding more stress by worrying about this, try to relax and take it one day at a time. It's ok if it doesn't come right on time! <3
Lauren C.

by RainKisses on 12/15/2011 10:23:17 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
My period has come two weeks early! I'm kinda scared. is this bad for my health? is there anything i can do to make it more regular?

Hey girl! No need to be worried; it's totally normal. Sometimes when you're young it will take a while to get on a regular schedule. As you get older, your body will develop a more timely ritual. If you need a little extra peace of mind, try talking to your parent or heading to a doc to ask some more specific questions!

xo
Taeler L.

by lovemag7 on 11/10/2011 7:40:21 PM

Mod, I just got my period last night for the first time. I have pads to wear so that's fine but I don't know how to tell my mom. Can you please give me some advice?

Hey missy, sorry I can't answer your question right now! Check in with some of your other gal pals on here for advice, I'm sure they'll be willing to help you out. Thanx a bunch for understanding!!! Smile Smile

Lynae P.

by mca123 on 10/26/2011 4:32:40 PM

MOD MOD MOd!!! I have two things.
1)I have a dark brown spot in my underwear and it looks nothing like blood and its wet. I've having this for a while. Did I start my period?
2)Do you feel the blood or you can feel it?
Sorry I really have three.
3)I read in a book and it said that when you have cramps that mean your period is coming in. I've been having cramps one day and my mom said maybe my period is soon,I've waited 3 days and nothing happened. How soon will it come? I'm waiting for it to start and be over!

Hey girlie,

1. This could just be discharge, but it could be the discharge leading into a period. Periods start light normally, whether that's light pink or brown or even clear with streaks of brown in it. Just be prepared with a pad if you leave the house and use the bathroom every couple hours so you don't get totally surprised!

2. You mean during your period? Usually you don't feel it, but sometimes you can get "clots" which come out fast and you can definitely feel. It's kinda gross (and it's gross to talk about haha, sorry babe), but it's part of it and we all experience it! To avoid that feeling of "gushing," you could try tampons! I use tampons now and never feel it, which is nice.

3. You could have been feeling cramps - and it's true that cramps are a signal that your period is on its way - but you also could've just had gas! It's hard to tell the difference sometimes between cramps and gas/diarrhea pains, even once your period starts and you're more experienced. Again, just be prepared with a pad whenever you leave the house....just in case! Smile
Lauren C.