2 HOURS AGO Still trying to figure out the whole #iwokeuplikethis thing? Try our 4 secrets for natural beauty and wake up pretty: http://t.co/GEEl1Sjy74

3 HOURS AGO Are you #TeamTaylor or #TeamKaty? Read the facts behind this alleged feud: http://t.co/9wqZwLoKeY #GLgossip

4 HOURS AGO Who knew, right? But *so* good! RT @katie_k1265: @girlslifemag your magazine is amazing thanks for the bananas and ketchup recipe

COMMENTS

Early bird period

My period seems to be getting earlier and earlier every month! I just got mine today and it's about a week earlier than last month.

I agree.

I think we need a period section and gyno update too! There used to be so many more. One of the most popular things we talk about with friends are things having to do with our periods and down there issues.

by luckykel on 2/16/2012 8:34:42 PM

Mod
When ate you gonna update the periods period section on here? I miss seeing new articles

Hey Girl,

Stay tuned! We promise we'll be better at updating them regularly!
alicia m.

by Girlzrock123 on 2/7/2012 12:18:02 PM

MODMODMODMOD
So I had my period like 5 days then it seemed to be gone for a day or two but now its back! Not counting the days it was gone I have had it about 8 days. I just started so I know it can be irregular but what gives?

by RideBabyRide on 2/7/2012 10:09:49 AM

Mod
We found out on Christmas that my sister is pregnant! I'm so excited! The baby is due around my birthday which is in August, but it's the same time school starts Frown I don't know if I will get to see me sister this summer since she lives in another state and moneys a little tight. Im kind of bummed because I'm pretty sure I will not get to see her. I really miss her, I haven't seen her since August and I haven't talked to her since Christmas. I'm kind of sad because I really want to see her. What should I do?

Hey girlie,

Aw, congrats to your sis! That is so, so exciting!! I know it's tough - we're all having rough times because of money and not being able to do all the things we want. But you have ways to stay in touch! Call her on the phone, Skype so you can see the belly grow, send her little care packages with trinkets and clothes for the baby (and a note from you, of course), etc. And if you miss her, talk to your parents so you can support each other! It's not easy having a loved one living far away, but you're family - you'll be there for one another and when you give her a call, you can pick up right where you left off Smile
Lauren C.

by Girlzrock123 on 2/2/2012 9:38:54 PM

Mod
I get my periods twice a month like every 14 days but they only last for 3-4 days so should I be worried?
Thanks <3 Peyton

I don't think you should be worried but I do think you should probably see your docter so that you can just check for sure that everything is ok.
Amanda P.

by Girlzrock123 on 2/1/2012 7:28:48 AM

Mod Lauren C.
I googled irregular periods and it came up with causes one one a hormonal imbalance, I googled that and it came up with a list of symptoms well I have almost all the symptoms...what should I do? I don't want to tell my doctor, and my mom doesn't know that I have been having periods every 2 weeks. I don't want to tell my doctor because Im scared of the test. I told my best friend about my irregular periods and she said that it's not normal. Please help
Thanks <3 Peyton

Hey again,

Sorry girl, but you gotta talk to your doctor. You might be a little nervous, but this is your body we're talking about. You only get one shot to keep it healthy and happy! Treat it well and be honest about what's going on - to yourself, to mom, and to your doctor. I agree with your friend - having two periods each month (aka less than 20-25 days apart) is not healthy. Take a deep breath and face your fears - talk to your mom and doctor about this NOW!
Lauren C.

by Girlzrock123 on 1/29/2012 10:41:01 AM

Mod
I got my period again today!!! Frown I know that they can be irregular for the first 2 years or so, but I have been getting 2 periods a month for the past 3-4 months. What gives? Is it normal to have idregular periods like I have? Please help.
Thanks <3 Peyton

Hey Peyton,

It's normal to have irregular periods sometimes, but your period should still come about every 28 days on average. If you're having periods every 14 days over and over, you should talk to your doctor! It's a hassle and uncomfortable (not to mention a little dangerous to be losing all that blood without taking a vitamin supplement or anything), so it's worth chatting with him/her to see what you can do to get it under control <3
Lauren C.

by Girlzrock123 on 1/29/2012 10:10:43 AM

Hey chica,

Here is a link to info on treating diarrhea.

Krupali D.

by guitargirl7321 on 1/24/2012 2:27:50 PM

Thanks Lauren this helped a bunch!

by Pinklife on 1/8/2012 2:04:06 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!! Can you please give me some tips on how to sneak pads to the bathroom at school without a purse?

Of course! The classic way is with a hoodie. Wear a sweatshirt that has the middle pocket area. Slide a pad in there when you're at your locker - then you'll have it on you at all times when you get a free minute to go to the bathroom. You could also start using a makeup case that is large enough to hold a pad. If it sits on your desk in class or falls out of your locker, people will assume it's makeup! You could tuck the pad into your pair of tall boots or in the zip pocket of your sweater. Get creative! Smile
Lauren C.

by kammiemay on 1/8/2012 10:32:23 AM

MOD MOD MOD!
Please answer quick! I am having bad cramps because I am on my period, but im going skiing tomorrow. WHat can i do to make the cramps go away?

Hey girlie,

Make sure you nibble on some food so it doesn't irritate an empty stomach, then take one or two Advil tablets with a glass of water. It'll help relax your muscles and the pain will feel less intense! And remember - cramps don't last forever. They'll be gone SOON - they might even be gone when you wake up! <3
Lauren C.

by Pinklife on 1/6/2012 11:23:07 PM

hey Mod okay so this is my first year having a really heavy period. I had a period about 2 weeks ago and it's back already. Tong I've bled through my pads both times once or twice each period. so I'm wondering is this normal and should I use tampons?

Hey girl,

Everyone's flow is different, so if you're bleeding through your pads, try changing them more often. If you want to start using tampons, talk to your mom about the pros and cons. http://www.girlslife.com/category/periods-period.aspx

Meghan D.

by Nikichic on 1/6/2012 7:10:48 AM

We dont have to worry about missing our periods unless we have been sexually active and from what I learned on gl, being sexually active means more than just actual intercourse. I think even if a guy ejaculates near our 'down there' things can still happen.

by luckykel on 1/5/2012 11:38:17 PM

Okay I haven't hit it since November is this normal I have had my period for 5 months know I really am worried

by boycrusher191 on 1/5/2012 8:45:43 PM

Seriously freakin, period should start Christmas morning... Any tips on that one?

by softballgal101 on 12/22/2011 10:11:23 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
I'm 14 and I've been getting my period for about 2 years. My average cycle is about 35-40 days, this seems really long, is this normal?

Hey girly,

In the first couple of years that you have your period, things take a little while to even out. Don't worry. This is perfectly normal right now.

Catie C.

by hockeygurl on 12/20/2011 4:34:19 PM

Hey mod (: i've had my period for over two years and it was getting really regular. It's always been that it there would be a weeks diference each month. Everything was normal until the end of November came ( i was expecting it to come then) and it didn't come. It still hasn't come. I'm not pregnant or anything. I know that school has gotten really stressful and I started doing a lot more exercise. I figured it was just due to stress. Oh, and also I've been having discharge for awhile, as if it's going to come but it never does. Should I be worried?

Hey babe,

Nope, no need to panic. Even after two years, it's normal for a period to freak out once in a while. Especially since you've had some changes to your routine - the stress, the exercise, maybe a change in appetite/sleeping patterns. All of these things could affect it! Instead of adding more stress by worrying about this, try to relax and take it one day at a time. It's ok if it doesn't come right on time! <3
Lauren C.

by RainKisses on 12/15/2011 10:23:17 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
My period has come two weeks early! I'm kinda scared. is this bad for my health? is there anything i can do to make it more regular?

Hey girl! No need to be worried; it's totally normal. Sometimes when you're young it will take a while to get on a regular schedule. As you get older, your body will develop a more timely ritual. If you need a little extra peace of mind, try talking to your parent or heading to a doc to ask some more specific questions!

xo
Taeler L.

by lovemag7 on 11/10/2011 7:40:21 PM

Mod, I just got my period last night for the first time. I have pads to wear so that's fine but I don't know how to tell my mom. Can you please give me some advice?

Hey missy, sorry I can't answer your question right now! Check in with some of your other gal pals on here for advice, I'm sure they'll be willing to help you out. Thanx a bunch for understanding!!! Smile Smile

Lynae P.

by mca123 on 10/26/2011 4:32:40 PM

MOD MOD MOd!!! I have two things.
1)I have a dark brown spot in my underwear and it looks nothing like blood and its wet. I've having this for a while. Did I start my period?
2)Do you feel the blood or you can feel it?
Sorry I really have three.
3)I read in a book and it said that when you have cramps that mean your period is coming in. I've been having cramps one day and my mom said maybe my period is soon,I've waited 3 days and nothing happened. How soon will it come? I'm waiting for it to start and be over!

Hey girlie,

1. This could just be discharge, but it could be the discharge leading into a period. Periods start light normally, whether that's light pink or brown or even clear with streaks of brown in it. Just be prepared with a pad if you leave the house and use the bathroom every couple hours so you don't get totally surprised!

2. You mean during your period? Usually you don't feel it, but sometimes you can get "clots" which come out fast and you can definitely feel. It's kinda gross (and it's gross to talk about haha, sorry babe), but it's part of it and we all experience it! To avoid that feeling of "gushing," you could try tampons! I use tampons now and never feel it, which is nice.

3. You could have been feeling cramps - and it's true that cramps are a signal that your period is on its way - but you also could've just had gas! It's hard to tell the difference sometimes between cramps and gas/diarrhea pains, even once your period starts and you're more experienced. Again, just be prepared with a pad whenever you leave the house....just in case! Smile
Lauren C.

by Sunblue45 on 10/8/2011 10:47:37 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
how do i ask my mom if its okay to shave?

Hey girl,

You kinda just gotta go for it! Catch mom at a quiet moment (maybe when she's doing dishes or reading her book) and tell her you've been noticing the hair on your legs more and more lately and, since you're getting older, you think it might be best for you to start shaving now. And tell her you wanted to include her on it so she can help you choose a razor, gel, teach you how, etc. since she's been there before and done it! Focus on the fact that you want to tackle this together and I'll bet you'll win her over Smile
Lauren c.

by Gravy2332 on 10/6/2011 8:25:47 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MODMODMOD
i need help. When they say you are spotting what is it and how long does it last. i have had about 6 periods and i got one a week early last week but it only lasted for 2days. Is this normal?

When you are spotting, that just mean that there are possibly small spots of blood in your underwear. Girls usually put on pantiliners so they will not ruin your underwear. Because you just started, this is completely normal!

-Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by supergal05 on 10/4/2011 11:10:05 PM

I think my mom thinks I have an eating disorder. Just because today I asked her if a part on my leg was muscle or fat, and I didn't eat a lot for dinner tonight, and I guess I've asked her about calories a few times. But she said to me today 'I hope you don't have an eating disorder' and I was like what? I mean I am overweight so I see why she might think that, but Idk im afraid every time I decide not to eat something or ask her a health question she'll freak out. So what should I do?
Thanks a lot.

You should sit down and talk to your mother about how the both of you feel. Let her know that there are no problems with any type of disorders, and that you just have some questions about your body. Hopefully she will have a better understanding!

-Brittany G.
Brittany G.

by squigglegiggle13 on 10/4/2011 10:20:59 PM

My period never comes when I'm sick. For example, I had a cold two weeks ago, when my period was supposed to come, and so it's been "held off" until now.

by IvoryPiano on 10/4/2011 9:25:06 PM

Hey girls!

Need advice? Well, I can help you!
I can help give you advice on just about anything!

Also, please join my group "Amazing_Quotes", I'm trying to reach my goal of 100 members!
So, please help me reach my goal!

by facebooker1240 on 10/4/2011 7:42:45 PM

Hey ladies! I'm Sara and I if you need advice on anything let me know Smile
I answer every question fast(I check my advice queen page everyday) and I ANY subject is fine Smile I will answer ANY question no matter what the subject!
Really girls I'm here for you. If you have any problems or need advice on ANYTHING just let me know and I will answer wholeheartedly(:

Go on my Advice Queen page. My username is "rellim" OR my profile! (same username) and I'll post the answer on YOUR profile! Don't be afraid to ask anything because I"m here to help Smile

by rellim on 10/4/2011 7:14:00 PM

Thank you, Jordan. ^^

Anytime, chica Smile
Jordan S.

by Superleigh50 on 10/4/2011 3:22:53 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
I'm thirteen, though I have the body of maybe a sixteen year old. This has never happened before. My last period, I had clots and my flow became very heavy one day. The clots were dark, almost shiny, and about the size of silver dollars. Why is this?

Hey girlie,

I can't tell you why that is happening.  Your body is going through all kinds of changes, and that is most likely having an effect on your flow.  These kinds of things will occur lots of times over the next few years, but I assure you that it's nothing serious!
Jordan S.

by Superleigh50 on 10/4/2011 3:14:41 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
It has been a month and a half since my last period, should I worry?

Hey girly! Dont be to alarmed. If your work out habits or eating habits have changed it is perfectly normal. Also, if you are still in the first few months of your period it is normal to be running a bit behind schedule or to skip a month. If you continue to not get it ask a parent or doctor to check it out and make sure you are okay.
Ana D.

by nerdisthewurd26 on 10/4/2011 12:30:11 PM

MOD MOD MOD i'm really confused. I got my first period about seven weeks ago and the past two days I have been getting brown discharge-ey stuff which I thought would turn red and be my period but it hasn't (im getting more of it though) and I have had cramps and I feel just like I did for my first period so what is this stuff?? sorry about being so graphic but... it smells like my period... but comes out further forward in my pad than my period did. help??

Hey girly! From what I know this is pretty normal. And when you first get your period it isnt very prompt the first few times or very heavy. Ask your mom or doctor for some advice though just to make sure everything is okay down there.
Ana D.

by waffles123 on 10/4/2011 12:04:20 PM

MOD MOD!
This article was a little helpful. Now, just 1 more question. How can I be ready if it comes early? Once, it came nearly 2 WEEKS early when I was on vacation and i wasn't prepared at all!
How can I be ready if it's not supposed to be coming for several weeks???? Thanks in advance!

Hey girly! you can never be absolutely sure when you are going to get it. To make sure you are prepared when you go away, always bring a few things with you so you are never not prepared. Keep something with you at all times in a jacket pocket or in your backpack just to be on the safe side.
Ana D.

by fungirl123 on 10/4/2011 6:44:06 AM

... i haven't gotten my period in months! MONTHS! thanks to volleyball(:

by purpleorchid on 10/4/2011 4:10:28 AM