3 HOURS AGO 20 ways to flirt with your crush: http://t.co/M6GN4Lfh2r

4 HOURS AGO RT @InternQueen: SO excited to have execs from @USATODAYcollege @GOLINglobal @girlslifemag & more at 1st ever #InternQueenParty #DC! http:/http://t.co/FPbSl5siz2

4 HOURS AGO Glam up with @thegivermovie-inspired nail polish: http://t.co/BZdTlAzmjY

COMMENTS

Freaked about getting my braces off

Does it hurt to get them removed?

I have had braces for 2-2 1/2 years now and I'm getting them off soon. I have to have the glue sanded off. Does it hurt? I've seen them do it and the little tooth or glue shavings fly in the air. It looks painful but is it? Also do they sand the tooth or just the glue? Thank you in advance!

Hey girl,

Don't worry! I've been there- it won't hurt- the sanding just sounds kind of loud. They just sand the glue off so your teeth are cement-free. Taking off the braces will feel uncomfortable, but it doesn't hurt more than when you'd get them routinely tightened. And the result is totally worth it!

Caroline C.

by yellow1915 on 7/16/2013 11:02:37 AM

it wont hurt much to get them off! it will hurt m uch less getting them off rather than getting them on!

by rhylaej on 7/9/2012 1:06:11 PM

Im nevous about getting my braces. All my friends that have them say its fine but im still scared to DEATH!!!

love confused

by mlennon on 1/27/2012 5:59:08 PM

I had braces for about 2 years and when I got them off my teeth felt really weird, only because I was used to having the braces there. My orthodontist pretty much burned the glue of...well....sanded it I guess. If you breath through your mouth it doesn't smell bad from the glue be sanded off. When you get your braces off it's not that bad....it doesn't hurt at all just pushes/pulls agains your teeth. After you have them off you can eat anything unless you have a retainer that's glued in, then stay away from suckers and stuff that could pull it off......I had one a week after and my retainer came off so I had to go get it fixed Tong

by Shacee101 on 1/14/2012 12:12:23 PM

I need this advice ASAP
Well I'm playing a concert to 350 people not myself but I just joined the group like thursday and well they thought I was so good I could join there concert playing the guitar BT I'm SUPER SUPER nervous how do I be calm? While on stage and before? Thanks MOD for all your help thanks

Hey girl,

Don't worry -- even experienced performers get stage fright! When you're playing, pretend you're practicing by yourself and not in front of an audience. Imagine they're not there, and you'll forget to be nervous. Good luck!

Meghan D.

by InsideOutKid on 12/17/2011 10:02:54 AM

I am getting braces the day before thanks giving what will i be able to eat please help

by jennyusa123 on 11/5/2011 2:00:32 PM

1. Say your name 10 times.
2. Say your mom's name 5 times.
3. Say your crush's name 3 times.

by jenny 201 on 11/1/2011 10:43:05 PM

I'm getting my braces off in June - I'm nervous! But luckily I only spent a short time with them (just a year and a half in total) so while my friends are getting them in like high school I'll already have mine off before i even get my schedule for freshman year!

by happydays!:-) on 11/1/2011 6:34:30 PM

Okay the chippy glue off thing does NOT make me feel any better about getting MINE off, but I've still got two years. Good luck!

by HaleyofTroy on 10/30/2011 11:46:46 PM

HII Smile I got my braces off about a month ago. It does not hurt the slightest bit. You don't really feel much of anything. But i do advise that when they make your retainers make sure they fit your mouth right. My top ones don't and we are going to have to go back bc they hgurt my mouth. Just go in there happy, because you have nothing to worry about Smile

by nixgurl96 on 10/21/2011 4:14:52 PM

I'm getting braces in 6 months. Unfortunately I will be in high school. On the plus side, I have lots of performances and stuff coming up so...

by Apple cake on 10/20/2011 8:17:18 PM

LUCKY! Still got awhile with mine on.

by topchef88 on 10/20/2011 5:56:25 PM

I got mine off 3 weeks ago & it was like the best day of my life. Didn't hurt at all! (: I just hate wearing retainers.

by sad_girl on 10/20/2011 4:21:28 PM

It didn't hurt AT ALL. the only thing i didn't like was the polisher thing which is similar to what they use to clean your teeth at the dentist...the air it gives off smelt horrible!! lol, but, no worries, no pain at all. Smile

by mychemloverkim on 10/20/2011 9:21:00 AM

No, getting your braces off doesn't hurt. It was the best day of my life!!! Smile Finally you can chew gum and eat taffy and all sorts of stuff now that your braces are off. A little tip: When your braces are off, everything feels so weird and smooth. it's awesome!!!

by bri017 on 10/20/2011 8:21:01 AM

DOESNT HURT AT ALL! If you got em on it wont hurt at all 2 get em off Smile

by oreolover123 on 10/19/2011 6:11:13 PM

that chick looks like a guy from my school. weird

by livver on 10/18/2011 2:53:32 PM

WOW i just got mine removed today Laughing 10182011<33
it didn't really hurt for me but the thing i hated was the clay (they had to put clay in for me to get the molds for my retainer) . JUST DON"T LAUGH WHEN YOUR HAVING IT XDD

by islandgirl23 on 10/18/2011 7:39:37 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD I Have My Period I'm In 5th Grade And I'm Eleven How Do I Carry Extra Pads Around?? Are Restrooms Have Trash Cans. But I'm Not Sure Where I Can Keep Extra Pads If I Need Them. Also Am I Too Young To Use Tampons?

Hey girl, either pads or tampons are OK. I'd just keep them in a pencil pouch or with your lunch stuff.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by alakoj on 10/17/2011 7:25:53 PM

*MOD MOD MOD!!* I know this doesn't really have anything to do with braces.. sorry ~!! But this is a really quick question, no rocket science ;) My q is : How many Girl's Life magazine has there been since the summer one of Selena Gomez?? ~~THANKS A WHOLLEEE BUNCH !!!!~~

Hey girl, let's see ... we have our October/November issue now, August/September before and June/July before that ... so three!

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by FlyingChic on 10/17/2011 6:09:33 PM

I sent in this question in AUGUST! and NOW they out this question up, after a MONTH! its no help to me NOW! but yeah, i didnt hurt much anyway, wow thanks GL for answering my question so late...

by purpletoenails on 10/17/2011 4:09:18 PM

I have really sensitive teeth but I was fine getting my braces off. When they pulled off the brackets off it was uncomfortable but it did not hurt. Then they scrape the cement/glue off. That takes a long time and hurts a little but is so worth it.

by Sasza on 10/17/2011 2:15:53 PM

mod mod mod!!
SO my bf is always saying really sweet things while we are texting and I never know what to say back the other day he said this, Earlier it was a beautiful day txting a beautiful girl..it just got cloudy..now its just me txting a beautiful girl. and i never know what to say back I wan to like compliment him but idk what to say. Thanks!!

Hey chica, that's such a sweet text! You should really embrace that and send him something sweet in response--you don't have to go overboard though. I often send my boyfriend cute little song lyrics that I think relate to him and I; that always works! You could also send him smileys or say something poetic. Just be sincere!

Amalia E.

by swimgirl96 on 10/17/2011 11:13:39 AM

I haven't got braces yet and I'm kinda excited!

by nerdisthewurd26 on 10/17/2011 7:39:10 AM

It hurt so bad! Maybe it was my ortho, but it was worth the pain. i love my smile now!

by SarahGrace2296 on 10/16/2011 6:36:42 PM

I've had braces on my top teeth twice and once on my lower teeth. It wasn't that bad getting them off. It was worse when the first pair came off when I was nine because my teeth were still settling in. Last time I barely felt anything. There was blood though and cement flying around in my mouth though! Getting braces off isn't as bad as people say.

by Aislinn120 on 10/16/2011 6:21:35 PM

wow you all are lucky because it hurt soooo much when i got my braces off!!! seriously....

by girlslifeluver on 10/16/2011 5:27:11 PM

I just got my braces off this Tuesday! It really wasn't bad at all. I am so relieved and I can finally eat something as simple as an apple. I'm already used to my teeth and I feel so much more confident.

by livelaughlovejb on 10/16/2011 5:25:23 PM

I got my braces off a bit ago, it was a bit uncomfortable and there probably will be bleeding in your mouth, but it's normal so don't be alarmed. Smile They just kinda pulled the brackets right off with these orthodontic pliers, and it surprisingly didn't really hurt much at all. Just a lil discomfort but it was fine. And my teeth look awesome! Smile You'll be fine, I'm sure. Smile

by Athelas on 10/16/2011 5:03:25 PM

Yea like I am getting mine off in a month and I am super happy not at all scared.

by polkadotruby7 on 10/16/2011 3:18:57 PM

thanks for posting this. i get my braces off in a few weeks and this calmed me down!

by beingbek on 10/16/2011 1:27:03 PM

I got my braces off last year in January. It didn't hurt, but they pressure and stuff does make it a little uncomfortable, but don't worry Smile Yeah, your teeth do feel slimy after getting them off for a little while, but it doesn't last long. Now I wear a retainer, and I shouldn't have to wear one now since I lost all my baby teeth Laughing By the way, congrats!!

by Sheyenne on 10/16/2011 12:24:18 PM

LUCKYYYYY

by fireworks1071 on 10/16/2011 12:11:18 PM

I just got mine removed a week ago and it only hurt a little when they were taking it off, but when they chipped off the glue that didn't hurt at all. It was really fast and your teeth feel slimy afterwards. congrats though!

by fallsb-ball on 10/16/2011 12:04:27 PM

Calm down! It's like a massage!

by HappyFeet16 on 10/16/2011 10:35:05 AM

I got my braces off 2 years ago and it didn't hurt at all. To be honest, I didn't even feel anything! It also was really fast, I had no idea they were done until they told me. You have nothing to worry about, the hard part of having braces is already over! Laughing Congratulations by the way!

by CourtneyPink28 on 10/16/2011 10:31:11 AM

I had only top braces, and it took only like 30 secs for the braces to come off, and it didnt hurt!!! and then you rinse your mouth out and then she scrapes your teeth to get the glue off then you rise your mouth again then you're done!!! but your teeth feel slimy for awhile after Tong

by oceanlover69 on 10/16/2011 10:25:13 AM

It hurt when I got my braces off! And my teeth felt really slimy! The first thing I did was chew gum, but I guess I wasn't used to chewing without my braces, because I bit my lip 13 times! But now everything is chill and I'm glad I don't have my braces. Plus, I have really straight teeth!

by Katiegirl2 on 10/16/2011 9:55:42 AM

I don"t remember it hurting for me, but I do remember my teeth feeling really slimy, lol

by MadiBird on 10/16/2011 9:32:31 AM

It doesnt hurt, except maybe your jaw from holding your mouth open. And hope the orthodontist doesnt scrape out any of your fillings (she scarped out 2 of mine and now i have to get them filled again Tong)

by horsie9000 on 10/16/2011 9:30:35 AM

Heyy girls, need advice? Check out the club Ask Naomi, where u can ask anything! Hope to see u there<3
P.S. R u great at giving out advice? Then I could be VP, secretary or treasurer of the club. Just comment what u wud like to be on the club!!

by Naomi<3 on 10/16/2011 9:14:34 AM

It was really painful for me when I got braces cause my lips were so scratched from the wires and brackets. But I drank some chamomile tea, and it helped so much! It dulled the pain and stinging, disinfected the cuts and made it heal faster!

by samatico on 10/16/2011 9:02:55 AM

i got my braces off over the summer. frankly, i don't really remember most of it because it was NO BIG DEAL. really, the worst part is the sound it makes when they scrape off the cement. you dont feel anything, but it sounds like they're grinding up your teeth. hahah.

by erinthemaster on 10/16/2011 8:28:50 AM

MOD MOD MOD!!!!
My braces are giving me cankersores. I don't want to put wax on my braces (to prevent it from scratching my mouth) because it very uncomfortable. Any suggestions on how I can prevent my braces from giving me cankersores?

Hey girlie,

You could call your orthodontist if you feel a rough edge, because he/she could be able to bend the wire to make it less sharp. But the wax is given to you to help you - I know it was a lifesaver when I had braces! Just a little piece of wax smoothed over the rough part will make a big difference. There's no reason to suffer with sores in your mouth if you have a way to prevent them! <3
Lauren C.