30 MINUTES AGO Yup—there's a bracelet that tells you when you're period is coming! Enter to win a free one from @FebyTweets: http://t.co/aksVnb9sfd

1 HOURS AGO 4 things to know before going #BlackFriday shopping: http://t.co/7EW2lT0aMv

2 HOURS AGO 7 perfect prezzies ideas for evry friend on your list: http://t.co/DwFRJuak1n

COMMENTS

My parents drink too much

And I don't mean just a glass of wine at dinner...

You should hide the alcohol from them and see what they think when it is gone than sit them down and talk to them. Also find a kids help line to talk to someone

by easy123 on 11/2/2012 5:07:28 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
Me and my mom share an iPad, and I wanted to use it so I looked for it in her purse, but all I found was a pack of cigarettes. This makes me so worried because I want my mom to live long and be healthy, not mess up her lungs by smoking. I can't talk to her about it because then she'll find out I went through her purse and I don't want things to be awkward between us. I'm scared for my mom. What do I do?

Hey babe,

I don't think she'll get upset as long as she knows you were looking for the Ipad.  It's not like you were snooping after all.  I think you should def talk with her about your worries.
Jordan S.

by LovePeaceHope on 5/21/2012 7:17:56 PM

Mod,

by LovePeaceHope on 5/14/2012 5:47:02 PM

HEy Guys! Stand up & help prevent Suicide!!!! Join my club "Fears v.s. Dreams"! "I Am Living A Story. I Will Not Give Up."=-)

by Sam Cool1038 on 4/18/2012 3:50:55 PM

Hi I know this is for parents drinking but my problem is so much bigger anyways im 16yr and have a 14yr brother and my older brother uses drugs my parents know but wont do anything all they do is have talks with him and he throws up depression and nobody wants anything to do with him the talks are not working he's almost 30yr and still lives here he fights verbally with my parents sometimes..about his drug use ..my parents wont do nothing and its getting worse my parents and younger bro find drugs and stuff in his room...its just so depressing I tried talking to my parents about it and they say and I quote " I know. I know. You can't tell him nothing" I can't talk to anyone else not teachers not priest not family not friends plz help me I can't take this anymore its been going on since I was 9 he was in the army for 4 yrs and came home last june he bought us stuff and helped with the bills and let my dad use his car while in the army so he throws that up all the time...

Hey girl. I am so sorry to hear about your brother! Coming back form war can be very hard, especially after 4 years. Generally soldiers come back and suffer from PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) and dont really know how to handle it. Even though it is scary, try talking to him yourself and let him know that you care about him a lot and dont want to see him like this. If he wont talk to you about it then see if he will talk to a counselor or a priest who can help him much more.
Ana D.

by angelbear2000 on 4/13/2012 3:42:36 AM

That happened to me one time. Now my dad doesn't drink as much anymore. Smile

by yumasauras on 4/11/2012 3:29:31 PM

Hey, I've had my share of family trouble too, and let me tell you, its not fun. What you're going through right now must be very stressful and emotional. Do not confront your parents in a accusing or desperate way, In fact, it might be better to not confront them at all. I suggest speaking to a school counselor or trusted adult. I was very embarassed the first time i walked into the counselor's office, i was worried i might be judged or disliked because of my problems. But trust me, it's very much worth it. Speaking to a counselor can help you deal with emotional stresses and can give you peace of mind. I highly reccomend it! It may look bleak now, but trust me, you can get through this. Stay strong, and if you ever feel threatened TELL SOMEONE.xoxo

by ninapeace4 on 3/17/2012 6:57:27 PM

Mod mod mod! I think my family is in trouble. My mom and my step dad have been married for 10 years. My parents seperated before I was born and I still see my dad every other weekend. Almost two weeks ago they had a huge fight verbally I have never heard my mom yell so loud. Then that night they told us we were proble gonna hear them fighting more. Every night one of them is on the couch and for the last few days it's been my mom. They haven't had a huge fight but they have been locking themselves in there room and I'm guessing they fight so no one can hear them but I hear voices and they aren't happy. My SD is just changed like I'll be talking to my mom and he'll just barge in and say to my mom"um can you help me with dinner" in a super annoyed voice. And lately I've been quiet and kept to myself in my room and they worry about me, I'm just hiding from the misery and they don't talk much and my mom goes out more. Can u help me please?!!!

Hey girl,

If they're worried about you, it's okay to tell them that you're worried about them, too! Let both of them know you care and love them, and that it makes you sad to see them fight. You want what's best for them, so it's hard to see them sad, and they'll appreciate that! You can also speak with a trusted adult like a teacher, guidance counselor or doctor about what's going on. If you want professional advice, this article also has links to resources and hotlines where you can speak to professional counselors for free. http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx

Meghan D.

by ladyinlike on 3/10/2012 10:09:14 AM

My dad was a heavy drinker and still is. My mom would always try to get him to stop and it would start a fight. One time in particular, my dad actually broke my mom's nose.....in front of me and she had to get surgery. My dad also took his anger out on me once too to the point where i got bruises. Soon after, my parents seperated and their in a pending divorce right now. I used to visit my dad for standard visitation, but soon stopped after a fight him and i got in. I dont know what to do cuz i've always looked up to my dad and now i dont even want to see him. When i text him what he did hurt me and clearly state what he did, he says im a liar. I'm torn in two please help! i dont know what to do and im confused!

Hey girl,

It sounds like you have a lot going on, and I'm sorry your family life isn't going so well! I'm glad you and your mom are okay -- it's reasonable for you to be upset with your dad and to need some time to get over this. To deal with everything you're going through, it would be best if you spoke with a trusted adult who's distanced from your family life, like a teacher, doctor or guidance counselor. This article also has some resources and free hotlines where professionals can speak to you and offer you their professional advice on your situation. Good luck! http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx

Meghan D.

by gkellio on 3/9/2012 10:30:43 PM

MOD MOD MOD please help!!!
well my mom and dad divorced about a year and a half ago , right after my mom brings a stranger to live in our house with his son.Me and the guy had many disscusions/fights but my mom never listens , its been about 1 year and 1/2 that they've been living with us and i cant take it i feel like right after we solve problems with my dad i start more with this stranger.Today i had another little fight with him because i dont feel like im at home anymore, my mom has changed, my mom ALWAYS defends him and makes me do everything and i dont know if i can take this any longer so please help me, tell me what i should do! PLEASEEEE!!!

Hey girlie,

Try to understand that, while this guy is a stranger to YOU, your mom likes him for some reason and wants him around. Try to figure out why. I know it might seem like he's totally weird, not interested in your feelings, and bad, but she sees some great qualities in him! Remember that divorce is hard on everyone too, so your mom might be happier with him around because it doesn't give her time to be sad about losing your dad. Everyone copes with things in different ways, you know? Make sure you have a "safe" zone in your house - preferably your room. Whenever you feel like you're losing your cool, go to your safe zone. Shut the door, play some music, and take some deep breaths alone. That can help you center yourself so you don't fight or get wrapped up in the drama! The best thing to do though is to TALK to someone about this. Not your dad - and probably not your mom, since you're still not at a point where you can have a calm, mature convo with her about this. I think your feelings are still a little too raw and opposite. But a counselor, trusted teacher, grandparent, or clergy person could really help you sort all your emotions out, come up with a plan for talking to your mom, and getting things back to a "new normal" that feels comfy for you <
Lauren C.

by dancer0014 on 3/9/2012 12:24:54 AM

Mod,
I am graduating high school this year & am writing scholarship essays. My father struggled with alcoholism and went to treatment. Well... unfortunately, he's rlapsed. I don't know what to do because my mom doesn't seem very concerned. I hate this. I just want to cry! Plus my mom doesn't want anyone finding out about his problem. Do you think it would be too personal for me to talk about in my scholarship essay? Any other advice?
Thanks.
PS to bad situation, i'm sorry you're going through this. I know how it feels. Hang in there because things get better if your parents get help. Make sure you support them & tell them how you feel. Best wishes, girl. I hope things work out for you.

Hey girlie,

I don't think that's too personal to write about - as long as you feel comfortable being truthful about it, strong enough to bring up all those memories, and honest enough not to exploit it (aka use the trauma to make you seem more deserving). Make sure you have a point, too - maybe it's taught you something surprising about yourself, your life, or something totally unrelated. Think of it like a story. As for your mom, she's probably used to the situation and trying to downplay how concerned she really is - just so she doesn't make anyone else nervous or upset. Just try to be there to support everyone involved and try to show your dad how much you love him, care about him, and want to see him better <3
Lauren C.

by djdangerjonasluver on 2/16/2012 7:07:46 PM

I know how it feels to be affected by alcoholism to the extent of feeling helpless and vulnerable. I have been going to Alateen meetings regularly for two and a half years, and it honestly saved my life. You don't have to suffer alone. Everyone will welcome you with open arms, and the program follows the principle of anonymity so you never have to worry about your situation being reported to any outside party. When you get there, one slogan you will hear is the three C's: you didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. A bit of advice though: go to at least six meetings to really get a feel for what the program is about before deciding on whether or not to continue with it. I promise that if you walk into the room with an open mind and heart, you will walk out of it a stronger, wiser, and better-equipped young woman who can handle anything that's thrown her way. Good luck, girl!

by cellardoor on 2/5/2012 7:40:05 PM

I know what it's like to be affected by alcoholism to such an extent. Alateen worked for me; I've been attending meetings regularly for about two and a half years now, and it honestly saved my life. You don't have to struggle alone, and everyone in the rooms welcomes with open arms. A bit of advice: go to at least six meetings before deciding if it's for you to get a feel for what the program is about. Oh, and one slogan you may hear when you get there is the three C's: you didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. I promise if you walk into the room with an open mind and heart, you will walk out a stronger, wiser, and more loving person. Good luck!

by cellardoor on 2/5/2012 7:20:55 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!! Okay so my parents have been arguing and they just recently are considering divorce,the day that i heard about it i couldn't pay attention in class or anything all I felt like doing was crying! How can I stop their divorce from happening or just make it easier to go through for all of us?

hey girly! unfortunately there is nothing that you can do to stop the divorce. but you can talk about it with your parents to get a better understanding of the situation. there is probably a lot that you dont know about the reasons they are fighting and knowing what is going on may help you deal with the stress.
Ana D.

by 1Polar_Bear on 2/3/2012 2:12:23 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
I went through a tough period recently where i had extremely low self esteem that i stopped eatign and almost had to go to therapy and i want to get a tatoo on the back of my wrist that says Just Beleive , the only problem is I know my parents would never go for it! What do I do?

Hey girl. I went through the same thing, and once I was 18, one of my best girl friends actually paid for the tattoo that says "Let It Be." It is a great reminder whenever I'm feeling low. But the thing is I waited a few years to make sure it was exactly what I wanted. Plus, I didn't want to upset my parents. If i were you, I would get a drawing done of the tattoo that you want. And wait...just to make sure its exactly what you want, and get it done when you're old enough. At that point it's much more worth it and will mean more in the end then just getting it right away and upsetting your family. Trust me!

lauren r.

by musicgrl98 on 1/28/2012 4:10:42 PM

I know how it feals to have someone in your family drink alot. My dad drinks everyday and everyone has told him about it but he doesn't listen. :-/

by Razdaz99 on 1/24/2012 6:00:26 PM

Hey, girl i know wat ure feelin.my dad sometimes drinks , and i told him to lay off of rhe the alchohal, but he told.me.to.shut up.o_O

by sameeestar on 12/29/2011 8:28:57 AM

MOD**MOD**MOD** Hey, this is kinda off topic, but every day my brother sings, really loud. He's my little bro and I don't want him to feel sad, but how can I ask him to stop? Thanks in advance!

Hey chica, just be as nice as you can and ask if he wouldn't mind singing a little lower or not at all. It may also help to play some music and close your door while he's jamming. Hope this helps! Smile Smile

Lynae P.

by ryry on 12/3/2011 5:27:37 PM

Mod
Where did aLL of the your body stuff go?

Hey Chica,

Your Bod has moved under the Health and Fitness channel, so check it out to find all your body info.
Rachel N.

by clairebear694 on 11/16/2011 8:48:41 AM

how do we send a question to dear carol?

Hey babe!

Here's how to ask for carol for advice via snail mail: http://www.girlslife.com/page/Get-Advice.aspx xoxox
Devin A.

by frootfli on 11/4/2011 4:20:07 PM

good luck girl, try to hold up. Be strong. to keep your mind off things, while your loved ones are trying to help your parents, draw, play a game, and if you have a dsi, ds, etc., play some games. it helps me when im upset. Its also a good idea to read. Harry Potter is a good start. also try "withering tights". you'll really zone out and forget your surroundings. It REALLY helps.

by silver_wolf on 11/2/2011 8:06:50 PM

my mom goes every friday to a lounge/bar with her friends and sometimes i get scared if she gets drunk and do stupid things.. like smoke or something Frown

by demi_lovato1998 on 10/28/2011 10:29:07 PM

...

Hey girlie,

Try to calm down about this right now. You don't even know if you heard correctly! It's possible he could be involved in this stuff, but you don't know for sure. If you're concerned, you could always talk to him about it and be straight with him - tell him you know he's an adult and he'll make the right decision for him, but that you heard him talking and you just want to make sure he's keeping his family in mind too. It might help ease your mind to actually be honest with him <3 Or you can wait things out and see what happens. As long as he doesn't let this get out of control (and only deals with it sometimes, whether he takes it or not), it won't become a big issue. Try not to be scared - just because he's involved with this kind of thing doesn't mean you have to be! Plus, you still don't have any reason not to trust your dad, since he's still doing a great job of taking care of you and not letting this get in the way. That's the most important!
Lauren C.

by squigglegiggle13 on 10/28/2011 9:14:03 PM

good luck, dear. you got this.

by strawberrygirl411 on 10/28/2011 3:48:38 PM

good luck sugar <3

by floraaa on 10/28/2011 2:40:56 PM

good luck girly<3

by swim_chick101 on 10/28/2011 12:58:20 AM

there was a play from Children's Theatre at my skool about drugs. there were 2 characters and both of them had a parent with an alcohol problem. it was really good and eye opening

by artsgurl983 on 10/27/2011 5:35:11 PM

scary.

by AlwaysDreamer on 10/27/2011 4:11:20 PM

MODMODMOD!
So my sister recently sprained her TOE, and my parents are flipping out. They bought her crutches, are acting like her total servants, and basically making a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be. Even my DOCTER said she didn't need crutches. She actually advised AGAINST them. It doesn't help that she's the younger child. I KNOW that my little sister is the type of person that would fake an injury to get something, because she's done it before and told me about it. Due to my sister's MASS overreation, I can't carpool with my friends anymore because my sister doesn't want to have to drive with them anymore, and because she's the cripple, what she says, goes. And I have a NASTY attitude now, because NO ONE believes me, and I KNOW I'm right because I heard her talking about faking it to one of her BFFs. And since I have this nasty attitude, I'm looking like the big evil older child who gives no sympathy to the poor little cripple girl with a sprained TOE. Help me out here.

Hey girlie,

that's super tricky.  Unfortunately, all you can really do is wait it out.  She can't fake a sprain for very long.
Jordan S.

by uni301 on 10/27/2011 7:51:30 AM

My parents are ex smokers.

by BriannaM911 on 10/26/2011 8:24:24 PM

Sorry i acciedently reported filaluvva's cOmment sorry

by Cecgirl98 on 10/26/2011 8:03:02 PM

Mod Today was in language arts doingy classwork then i overheard 2 rebelious guys in my grade talking about getting high. One of them asked me if i knew what they were yalking about i said, yes but i wont tell any one. He replied " good because snitches get stiches " in a threatening voice. Now i dont want to tell because i am afraid for my safety. But if i dont tell then i will be afraid of what they will do when they are high. Please help me with what to do also i have anxiety disorder/ social anxiety disorder and it would please help if you please look from my point of view thank you sooo much for taking time out of your day to answer my question.

Hey girly, just be sure you aren't around them when they are high. It may be best to stay far away from them anyway. They sound like trouble makers, so keep your distance girl. Smile Smile

Lynae P.

by Cecgirl98 on 10/26/2011 8:00:44 PM

my dad drinks but never to that extant

by filaluvva on 10/26/2011 7:40:09 PM

If they were really serious, tell the teacher. it is not safe or ok to get high, especially on drugs

by kewauneegal on 10/26/2011 7:02:33 PM

Aww. Sorry. I've never had that problem.

by indesicive1 on 10/26/2011 6:33:01 PM

Yes get help. My dad drank to much and now he lives alone. Of course it wasn't just that but it was a big part. He refused to get help. Be nice about it if you ask them directly. My dad threatened my Mom so she got me and my brothers and we left to our grandpas house (his dad) And my unlce got him to pack up and leave. DOn't let this happen to you!!

by chick987 on 10/26/2011 5:37:48 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!! ok i just got a like 2 days ago and we don't really see eachother much. he's a grade above me(im 7th he's 8th) so we see eachother at lunch and in the halls. well e won't talk to me unlesss i talk to him first and i never know what to say!!! please help he likes me but he's too shy to talk to me!! what do i do?! thanksSmile

Hey girl, try to get him more comfortable with you each time you guys talk. Maybe joke with him or give him a little hug. And you can talk about anything. Sports, movies, tv shows, classes, etc. All the stuff you chit chat with your girlfriends about, talk to him about. You can also ask him questions about himself, so you can get to know more about him. Hope this helps!!! Smile Smile

Lynae P.

by Alykat18 on 10/26/2011 5:18:17 PM

Mod mod mod Today i was in language arts doind class work and two rebelious guys in my class were talking about getting high. They then asked me if i knew what theywere talking about and i said yes but i wouldnt tell anyone. Then one of them said " good because snithes get stiches" it really makes me feel uncomfortable knowing ilegal drugs are being used in my town and i dont know if i should tell the drugs police officer at my school. What they said about how snitches get stiches really scares me so i really dont want to tell but i feel like it is up to me to tell. If i tell i am afraid for my safety but if i dont i am afraid for my towns safety with illegal drugs. Help and please see from my point of view thanks.

Hey missy, sorry I can't answer your question right now! Check in with some of your other gal pals on here for advice, I'm sure they'll be willing to help you out. Thanx a bunch for understanding!!! Smile Smile

Lynae P.

by Cecgirl98 on 10/26/2011 4:58:11 PM

Mod mod mod! Today i was in language arts doing classwork and i overheard two rebelious boys in my grade talking about getting high. They then asked me if i knew what they were talking about and i said i did but i wouldnt rat them out. And then onebofbthem said in a threatening voice " good because snitches get stiches." i live in a nice town and not that many people sm

Lynae P.

by Cecgirl98 on 10/26/2011 4:51:13 PM

1st comment! Smile
But that's sad though Frown

by clem10 on 10/26/2011 4:34:47 PM

O my gosh! I'm so sorry girly! My parents drink, but not to the point when they pass out.

by nerdisthewurd26 on 10/26/2011 4:19:48 PM

That's the same here. my dad also drinks too much and when he does he get really mean and yells at us. It's not fun!

by fasion-queen52 on 10/26/2011 3:28:13 PM