6 HOURS AGO Stay sun savvy with 5 beauty buys for sun protection: http://t.co/Aq9qUPQ3nE

9 HOURS AGO Tone up #tabata style: http://t.co/lOFXLmg7ew

10 HOURS AGO Pretty up with the 20 best nail polish picks of all time: http://t.co/1GctxLQSKw

COMMENTS

Celebrating Hanukkah with a friend? What to know before you go

The 411 on understanding and enjoying this seasonal celebration...

this is great, but hannukah isnt so formal as you make it sound. this would be great if your friend was orthadox, but at all other houses they dont dress up or serve a feast. as minienstwin said, this is a minor holiday.

by bass2001 on 12/24/2012 12:13:01 PM

Hey girl! You should clue your mom or someone you trust into what's going on. It's probably no big deal but sounds like something a doctor would know more about. It's totally stuff they're experienced with so don't feel shy. Let them know what's up so you can get the proper care!

xo
Taeler L.

by Gracie206 on 12/8/2012 12:00:09 AM

oh, don't be surprised if there isn't a feast, Hanukkah is one of the least important jewish holidays, just cause its at the same time as Christmas doesn't mean that its the same thing, the most important ones are Shabbat, Rosh Hashana and Passover, that's when jews celebrate. also in the post before im not saying that I disliked that finally I can see a article about a holiday that I actually celebrate, its just cant you treat it the same way as you treat chrismas, like its kind of like if most americans were jewish and you had all these things about hannukkah celebrations and then your one article about Christmas was just saying how to celebrate it.

by miniebstwin on 12/7/2012 11:16:41 PM

I don't know any people who are Jewish and I am Christian but my mom has made fried potato pancakes a couple times. She doesn't know that they are Jewish but they truly are delicious!!! Smile

by BabyDahl13 on 12/7/2012 9:33:03 PM

i'm relly happy that for once theres something about Hanukkah, but still you make it sound like everybody on girls life is christen, I mean I saw something that I thought was gonning to be about Hanukkah like the things about Christmas are about Christmas,but really its just telling everybody who doesn't celebrate Hannukka what it is.

by miniebstwin on 12/7/2012 6:47:31 PM

I went to my best friends house last year for Hanukkah and I'm pretty much good but this is really nice! I know some of the prayers because I've gone to temple more than I've gone to church recently lol.

by xxnycbeauty on 12/7/2012 5:00:52 PM

I'm jewish! its nice to get some appreciation!!

by yoli on 12/7/2012 3:59:28 PM

Thnx GL!! its nice to get some notice for once ( I'm jewish) all the christmas stuff is a little annoying... they never acknowledge any other religion-- as if christians are everything and other religions mean nothing
...so thnx GL!!

by yoli on 12/7/2012 3:57:37 PM

Happy Hanukkah, merry Xmas, & happy Kwanzaa. What matters is spending it with your family & besties if u agree comment

by brsbrs123 on 12/24/2011 10:36:47 AM

I'm not Jewish nor do I know somebody that is but when I do have a friend that's Jewish I will deff use this article THNX GL!

by thepinkyyyyyyyyy on 12/22/2011 12:28:23 PM

ok guys christmas dosn't equal hannuka doesn't equal kwanza! they're really very different holidays. My dad's jewish and he told me that while really fun, hannuka isn't really a very religious holiday. not like christmas, which is the 2nd most important christian holiday! also, i know many people of african heritage, and not one of them celebrates kwanza. i looked into it and kwanza was actually created only like 50 years ago by a proffessor, and isnt an ancient holiday like christmas or even hannuka! also, if we're going to mention every winter solstice holiday, why not mention diwali, the indian winter festival of lights? seriously guys, its not fair to say that hannuka and kwanza are just as important as christmas, even though they happen at the same time. not to say that they're not important! however i will say that christmas is most definitely over advertized, and rudely shoved in people of other religions faces. i dont want to offend anyone r anythng but im just saying the truth

by cocoabean114 on 12/21/2011 8:57:36 PM

by cocoabean114 on 12/21/2011 8:56:17 PM

Thank you for posting about Hanukkah!!!! I get sick of hearing just about Christmas!!! But, you don't have to dress up. It's fine to wear leggings, or jeans, and on the 1st night I wore sweatpants! It doesn't matter, as long as you are nice and have a good time Smile

by stargirl12345 on 12/21/2011 6:05:55 PM

My best friend is Jewish and I've celebrated Hannukah with her before. Latkes are amazing, by the way. I already knew a bunch of these things though, but it was pretty interesting!

by miaboo123 on 12/21/2011 4:53:29 PM

Nice article. I'm not Jewish, and none of my friends are, but I still find it interesting. Also, for some reason in preschool (going back ten years...) they decided to teach us about Hanukkah. I remember playing the Dreidel game, and I assure you it was fun. Well anyways, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa and Merry Christmas! Meghan D.

by HogwartsStudent on 12/21/2011 4:05:45 PM

Thank You so much, GirlsLife. Most websites just keep talking about Christmas, and it nice of you to include an article about Channukah. It also means something to me, as I am Jewish. Maybe you should post something about Kwanza, to fully recognize all holidays.

Happy Holidays!

by e2000 on 12/20/2011 8:43:26 PM

Sounds interesting and fun!! ;) I don't celebrate hanukkah but to those of you who, Happy Hanukkah!! And Merry Christmas Laughing

by nuts4pbcups on 12/20/2011 7:12:12 PM

Neat!

by svds on 12/20/2011 7:11:11 PM

Thanks for doing an article on Chanukah! I'm Jewish, and love to see that you're including our holiday. Although Chanukah is not a major major holiday in our religion, it's a fun coincidence that it's around the major Christian holiday Christmas. It's always fun to get in the holiday spirit Smile Happy Chanukah!

by egf.lizzie on 12/20/2011 7:05:08 PM

Lovely tips! I have no Jewish friends but you never know when occasions arise. Smile

I commend you, GL for the great article. It's very commendable that you are respecting other religions as well as the Christmas season.

Ho-Ho-Ho! Smile Happy Holidays!

by Malgal22 on 12/20/2011 6:48:55 PM

Kerra S.

Thank you! i going to remove the white background so it looks for natural. Thanks for your input! i hope maybe i get the job!!

by Lianna on 12/20/2011 6:47:24 PM

I love Hanukkah!!! This r good tips. Here r a few more:
Blue, white, and silver r good colors
If u like french fries you will like latkes
If u hav a question, ask
Happy Hanukkah. Lemme know if ur Jewish too

by ZeusSister on 12/20/2011 6:38:57 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
okay, so i'm extremley intrested in modeling for GL. I'm going to send in the form but i'm not sure if my picture is good enough. Are you guys looking for casual or profesional? and i edited the background and made it white and i think it looks too edited. If you want i can send you the link of the pic. I'm just nervous. I really want to be a model!

Im not too knowledgeable on our policies for models but GL is all about normal girls like all of you. So im sure something more casual would be better. Good luck hon!! Smile xoxo kerra
Kerra S.

by Lianna on 12/20/2011 6:34:24 PM

thank you !!! my new besti is jewish and i needed some pointers to what to do tonight at dinner !

by prettyprincess55555 on 12/20/2011 6:02:53 PM

Hey girlies! Join this club DIY queens. It's for all of those creative gals out there.

by da:DaeSHINES on 12/20/2011 6:00:53 PM

Thank you! I applaud GL for talking about other holidays besides Christmas, it would be nice to get general though. Also You will want to have your shoulders covered, although it is traditionally done only to services it is considered respectful. Don't be afraid to ask questions! It shows your not zoned out and care. Hanukkah isn't just an exclusive Jewish holiday, it's actually very relatable. Have fun!
Jew out romfl

by bobnanny24 on 12/20/2011 5:54:38 PM

This is so interesting Smile I love learning about new cultures and religions.

by fungirl123 on 12/20/2011 5:14:18 PM

I'm Jewish... And Christian! I love both Christmas and Chanukah the same. Gelt is sooo delish, and I LOVE latkes! <3

by peaceluvandhockey on 12/20/2011 5:06:07 PM

**********ATTENTION**********

Are you a fan of The Walking Dead? If you are then join The Walking Dead Fan Club!!!!!!!!!! Where we talk about the show and even the books Laughing

by Princess Keziyah on 12/20/2011 4:54:21 PM

Hey I would like to add somethings to this article. Don't be afraid to ask your friends questions if they're inviting you for Hanukkah they want you to learn about their faith. Secondly, some of the food sounds strange but just because it's kosher don't knock it till you try it. Thirdly, dress accordingly to your friends denomination,if your friend is Hesedic, or a conservative orthodox you should dress very conservatively. No chest showing (Button up or t-shirt), no skinny jeans, skirts and dresses should have a longer hem line hitting below or under your knees. If you are attending temple wear what you would wear to church. Finally For the Jewish people Hanukah celebrates miracles something we can all relate to.

by arg5890 on 12/20/2011 4:50:59 PM