12 HOURS AGO It's official—we're obsessing over Jacquie Lee's new EP: http://t.co/dHZwPbO3da

15 HOURS AGO Homework? What homework? #Crewel is on @wattpad for free! #bookworm #bookclub http://t.co/TsLFsrnwAH

16 HOURS AGO Join the GL gram fam and follow us on Insta for pretty pix and behind-the-scenes snaps: http://t.co/Umf3MGtn7Y

COMMENTS

Can I speed up my period?

I was just wondering if there was any way I could make Aunt Flo pack her bags a li’l more quickly…

Mod Mod Mod
Okay so usually my periods are super heavy. This one is really light for me, and I don't have any back pain like I usually do with periods. It's the second day. Is there anything wrong affecting cramps and flow? I'm worried :/

Hey girlie,

Your period can be affected by all kinds of things (changes in sleep, diet, stress, etc.), but chances are it's just irregular... because it's normal for periods to fluctuate sometimes! Try not to worry too much - just deal with your period and see how it is next month. Your bod is still growing and changing, so your period will naturally change too. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to chat with your doctor - the only person who can do a check up and make sure you're totally healthy. Otherwise, I would try to go on with your life and try not to think about it too much Smile Every girl's period is a lil irregular - nothing wrong with that! <3
Lauren C.

by kaleidoscope_eyes on 5/31/2012 9:51:53 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
It seems that I've been getting my period twice a month... I've had it for about two years now, and it has only started doing this in the last 6 months... Please help me!

Hey girl,

No worries! It's normal for periods to be, well, abnormal! It's good to see that you're keeping track of when you get your periods. That will come in handy if you do ever have a serious problem. However, it's common for periods to be late one month or early the next. So it's totally possible for you to get it twice in one month if you have one at the beginning and one at the end of the month! If nothing else seems to be bothering you, my bet is that you're perfectly fine! During your next checkup with your doc, mention any concerns you have and he/she will help clear things up for you Smile
Kelly G.

by ekishishkabob on 5/28/2012 2:05:28 PM

*****MOD MOD MOD******
so is it normal to every once in a while get your period twice in one month? last month i got my period then a couple weeks later spotted for a few days. this month i had my period a few weeks ago at the begining of the month and yesterday it started again? is this normal? ive had mine for 2 years. PLEASE HELP

Hey babe,

Yup, it's totally normal! Periods are always wacky, especially during the first few years of starting them! They can be early one month or late the next. Spotting is normal too. Unfortunately, they can be pretty random sometimes. It's nothing to worry about, but it certainly won't hurt to talk to your doc about it during your next checkup. He or she can give ya more info about it!
Kelly G.

by selena_wiz_lover on 5/28/2012 1:48:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD I'm in sixth grade now and I am 12. I have been developing since I was nine, and now i have been craving more food than my older brother and dad. I am average weight though, and have been having cramps and mood swings. I have got to say I have all of the signs.Mood swings, weird cravings, eating alot, very tired, breaking out,discharge, cramps,etc. I have thought that I would get it for about a year now, and still haven't. Can you please help and tell me what might be going on?!

Hey girlie,

What's going on... well, you're totally normal, that's for sure! You're growing and developing, so that's where the appetite, mood swings, etc. are coming in. It's puberty babe - and sometimes it's frustrating/slow, but it's happening! It's impossible for anyone to guarantee when you'll get your period (including your doctor), but try to calm down and reassure yourself that you're going through this process just like everyone else. You're normal and experiencing normal things. I wish we could tell ya how to speed it up, but you just gotta be patient, go with the flow, and your bod will start its period/keep developing when it's ready Smile
Lauren C.

by queenra on 5/26/2012 9:59:54 PM

This is REALLY embarrassing. but, during my period i get really bad gas.... is this normal? D:

Hey girl,

It might be normal, but there's no harm in asking a doc to be sure!

Meghan D.

by ashie39 on 5/26/2012 12:25:41 PM

Hey I'm going swimming on Sunday and need an answer quick! I'm not sure if I will be on my period during that time but if I am then can I go swimming without a tampon? Is there any way to prevent my period? I'm not allowed to use tampons and I don't want to. Please answer quick!

Hey girl,

If you're not allowed to use tampons/don't want to, talk to your mom about a menstrual cup which I have heard to be pretty healthy and convenient. If not, you could try a light cloth pad. Just make sure to change frequently. If you don't want to risk it, don't! Just wade and enjoy being with your friends. Unfortunately there is no way to prevent your period!
Kelly G.

by KitCatJaide on 5/25/2012 1:54:36 PM

Kind of embarrassing but I got my period a few months ago and it's fine. But in the last two months my period has been lasting for over a week. I got it last Monday for this month and it's still here. Slowing down but still here. What's going on? Please help!

Hey girlie,

Periods are always irregular - some girls have them last for 2-3 days, while others have them last 8-9 days. But 10+ days is a lot, and it's not super safe to lose that much blood each month. Plus, it's totally annoying! See how your period is for the next few months. Since it just started not too long ago, it could take some time to even out. Be patient! But if this continues, it would be worth chatting to your doctor at your next checkup and making sure you're healthy. Your doc could discuss ways to regulate your period - or at least calm your fears by assuring you that this is normal and fine Smile
Lauren C.

by emy1717 on 5/24/2012 10:47:30 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I just got my period last summer but now I haven't had it for 3 months! Is there something wrong with me?

Hey girl!

Periods can be unpredictable...especially when we first get them. Check out our period section to answer your questions: http://www.girlslife.com/category/periods-period.aspx. If you haven't had it for three months, you aren't regular yet. It can take over a  year for girls to become regular after they get their first period. If you miss another, call your doc. They'll be able to answer your questions.

Marisa D.

by Maddie_a on 5/22/2012 3:07:51 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
I just got my period... I went to the bathroom and there was blood in my underwear and when I wiped it was there too. It wasn't really dark though. And I had cramps and my stomach was churning. But, I haven't had it since that one time, and that was three days ago! I didn't even have it again on that same day! I though that I got it but maybe I didn't.... my mom said that it might just be really light. What do you say???

Hey babe,

I don't think that it would be so light as to not happen again.  It may be spotting, in which case could mean that yours is coming soon.  There's really no way to be sure though.
Jordan S.

by live4god on 5/21/2012 7:34:17 PM

Ok This may sound awkward but anyway i have been useing tampons for awhile now and i have always thrown the useing cotten ball part of the tampon in the toilet and flushed it and the plastic tube in the garbage. Is that what im suppose to do? Because one of my friends mom does the same thing but some of them dont. So am i supposed to throw the used cotten ball part in the toilet when im done? If not what do i do with it?
Thanks Smile

Hey Girly!

Not awkward! We get these kinds of questions all the time Smile. You always want to put the plastic tube in the garbage. It will clog the toilet if you flush it down. For the most part, flushing down the actual tampon (the cotton ball part) is okay. Some places will have sensitive plumbing and might ask you to put feminine products in the trash to be safe.

Marisa D.