AN HOUR AGO How to kick that your horrible nail biting habit for good: http://t.co/JqjwhgZWxM

2 HOURS AGO So you wanna start shaving? Here's how to talk to your 'rents about it: http://t.co/87ujES5HS2

3 HOURS AGO Sleep easy: 5 tips to kick your night owl habits for good: http://t.co/xh0ax2dZEE

COMMENTS

Banish PMS forever! Say see-ya to mood swings

Do ya get majorly moody when Aunt Flo comes to call? We feel ya. Luckily, there’s a cure for what ails ya…

MODMODMOD
Hey! Okay, thanks for reading this comment. So I'm 12, haven't started, but I'm still moody? Is this PMS, or what?

Hey girlie, it could be. Or it could be stress or something else that has you in a bad mood. There are a lot of things that might cause you to be moody, so unless it's combined with other symptoms, it might not be PMS.

Lauren T.

by gamer_skater on 1/16/2013 6:42:22 PM

Mod mod mod
I cant decide if i have the flu or my period is making me feel like i have the flu. My head hurts, my nose is stopped up, I'm coughing, my neck/shoulders/lower back hurt...i feel like poop... Idk what to please tell me what you think i should do

Hey girl the only one of these signs that has to do with your period is your sore muscles but that can also be a sign of the flu. I'd talk to your mom and sched an appointment with the doc.

Jenn S.

by Girlzrock123 on 1/2/2013 11:28:20 AM

Mod mod mod
Hey...how are you?
Ok, so I was wondering if these symptoms are pms symptoms:
Moodiness, craving for weird foods( pickles, chocolate milk, Chick-fil-a), slight itchiness down near my vagina. Slight cramps( idk if I'm cramping or if I need to go #2...). My last period ended 19 days ago, but my cycle is super messed up. From July 2011- November 2012 I had 2 periods every month except in August when it was 5 weeks late.

Hey girl,

Those could be PMS symptoms, but it could also be normal cravings and symptoms just from growing up! It's normal to be irregular at first, but if you're worried about your cycle there's no harm in talking to your mom or a doc.

by Girlzrock123 on 12/28/2012 11:39:41 PM

Pmsing on christmas eve period on christmas sux christmas cramps arent thanks aunt flo for getting me a present

by cookie318 on 12/25/2012 8:06:51 PM

mod mod mod.
sorry. my very first question i ment tss's. not std's.
so i will get tss's if i leave a pad on longer than 5 hours? i leave mine on for 6 hours. is that harmful? I don't smell or get a rash. thanks...
(toxic shock syndrome)

Hey girl,

That is probably fine but I would change every 4-5 hours to be safe!

by LoveHappens on 12/21/2012 9:12:45 PM

Mod mod mod! Lynae P.
haha. sorry im asking yet another question. but you said to remove it between 1-2 hours or as soon as its soaked. I have a VERY light flow, so its never soaked. Should I still change even though its not soaked?!
Thanks!

Hey girl,

You should change your pad at least every 4 or 5 hours even if it is not soaked to avoid toxic shock syndrome. Try using a thinner pad if you have a light flow!

by LoveHappens on 12/21/2012 8:27:13 PM

MOD MOD MOD.
Hi! I was just wondering if you can get STDs from wearing a pad on too long? Because I wear mine for 6 hours then when i get home i change to pantyliners and keep on changing them. So I'm just wondering is it bad to keep a pad on for longer than 6 hours, will I get STDs? Or is that only for tampons? Thanks. <3

Hey LoveHappens, you shouldn't have a pad on for that long. It won't cause an STD, but it could lead to a rash and odor. Remove it as soon as it is soaked, or between 1 to 2 hours. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by LoveHappens on 12/21/2012 8:16:47 PM

**MOD!MOD!MOD!*
1)OK...so I am 13 and I didnt get my period yet!All my friends have theres and when I say "All" I mean ALL!!!Is there any possible way I could speed up the process...I'll do anything!PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE!!!
2)Is there any way I can make my boobs bigger... 3) LOL...this is a stupid one..but what does"MOD" stand for?

Hey girlie,  1) there's nothing you can do to get your period sooner. It'll come in its own time so be patient. 2) unfortunately nothing you can do about that either. But they will continue to grow into your late teens. 3) not a stupid question! Mod is short for moderator.

Lauren T.

by caiteoehl on 12/9/2012 8:13:18 PM

So I got my period for the fist time about 4 months ago and I haven't gotten it sense! It's freaking me out! Please answer!

Hey Kitcat0012, calm down lol. Periods tend to be irregular, especially the first year you get them. No worries it happens to everyone. You're completely normal chica. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by Kitcat0012 on 11/18/2012 10:49:46 PM

Mod!Mod!Mod!
Im 12 and I am going to georgia in few days what should i bring?????
help
thanks

Hey girl-

Whenever I'm going somewhere I always make a list of things I absolutely cannot forget...things like toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, undies, and my phone charger. Making a list helps me to visually check things off to make sure I don't forget anything.

Alexis G.

by olivia19 on 10/23/2012 11:22:50 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm on my period and as usual i get cranky and mad easily. Today my little cousin(shes like 9) (im babysitting) was telling me about something and i sppazed out on her and stated telling her how shes so annoying and stuff. I really really really feel bad, and she told on me to my mom and her mom (my aunt) and they think i just yelled at her for no reason. How do i prevent this from happening everytime i have my period? Thanks

Hey! The trick is to recognize your mood swings before you lash out. I get that way sometimes, but when I  start to get mad i try to stop an think: is this something that is worth getting upset about? and then take a deep breath and see if that helps

Helen S.

by Sarah_12 on 8/28/2012 5:02:23 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm about to turn 14 and I think I got my period but I'm not sure. At the very beginning of August I had spotting and cramps for 5 days. The spotting started heavy (like lots of little smears and dots) then got lighter(only one or two dots). The thing is, I've heard periods are sometimes very light for the first time (like just a few spots of blood). This was the first time I ever spotted or cramped. If this was my period then I'm supposed to get it again at the end of the month... And that's the first or second day of school! What do I do? I'm not sure if the blood was enough to be a period. I don't know if this matters, but the blood was all bright red. PLEASE HELP ME ASAP. Thanks! Also, my mom said it was not my first period Frown

Hey girl! It might have been your first period, so if you're really worried about being protected for school, bring a couple panty liners and pads to school and stick them in a cute bag in your locker or backpack.  You'll be fine if you just pay attention to how your body feels and if you get cramps, maybe put a panty liner on just in case.  xoxo

Kate G.

by purple10115 on 8/20/2012 2:51:38 AM

by purple10115 on 8/19/2012 7:55:44 AM

Mod Mod Mod
What if I don't like milk and do not drink it? Could I substitute something for it?

Hey girl! Dairy is found in all milk products, so if you don't like drinking milk, try eating yogurt, pigging out on some fro-yo, or makin' yourself some grilled cheese.  Anything with milk in it! xoxo

Kate G.

by kiki_5 on 8/10/2012 1:34:22 AM

MODMODMOD!! I try to warn my parents when I'm moody and jumpy, but they just think I'm using it as an excuse. I can't warn them what should I do!?

Hey girl! Mood swings are a totally normal part of growing up and we've all been through them.  I'm sure your parents understand this too, but they may still get frustrated.  If you start to feel moody, try to separate yourself to get some space and calm down, that always worked for me Smile xxoo
Maggie P.

by AwesomeBlossom on 8/9/2012 3:32:57 PM

MOD, MOD, MOD!
My period only just started in May this year, since it's only been like 3 months since I first started getting Aunt Flo visits, do I get PMS? I know it stands for, "Pre Menstrual Syndrome", but in a book, I read that this happens like a year or two after you started getting periods. Is that true?

Hey girlie,

Nope, that's not true! Girls can even experience PMS before their first period - it all has to do with changing hormones that affect your mood. Check out these articles about it!

by cheetah#1 on 8/2/2012 8:39:56 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!
Please help! I am on my period right know and I have really bad cramps, they hurt so much I am almost in tears! What can I do!?!?!?!?!?!

Poor girlie! I've been there, trust me!  Try a heating pad, it'll help relax your muscles.  Some ibuprofen (if your parents will let you) will also help.  You might not want to exercise, but I promise it will make you feel better.  xoxo (oh, and treat yourself to some chocolate!)

Kate G.

by hermionelover on 8/1/2012 4:29:28 PM

Hi, I have had my period for a while now, and its pretty unexpected. Will it straighten out and become more regular or will it always be like this? BTW I have had my period for almost a year now

Hey girl, periods can be irregular for the first 2 years after your initial one. So it's totally normal for yours to be weird. There are also lots of things that can affect periods and make them irregular at any time, so don't sweat it if yours isn't completely stable all the time.
Carrie R.

by Catyperry12 on 7/18/2012 1:42:35 PM

I have a friend who has ginormous boobs for our age. The thing is, she brags about them and talk and talks and talks about them all of the time! She *always* brings up the fact that apparently her boobs 'weigh her down', she's always suspecting that boys are staring at her boobs, and girls too! She even comments about the size of MY chest - when we were laughing about the myth that corn makes your boobs bigger, she says, "than YOU should eat lots more corn!" and when we are in the locker room she comments on how 'small' my chest is! Its super annoying and kinda gross! Frown

Hey girl, she's probably just commenting on your small chest because she's jealous. Everybody wants to have the boob size that's different from the one they have. Just be happy with yours, and tune her out when she goes on about hers. And if she says something negative about your chest that bothers you, tell her (in private, of course). Be honest, and ask her not to make fun of your boobs because it hurts your feelings. She's your friend, so she should understand.
Carrie R.

by cmfox99 on 7/16/2012 1:37:07 PM

Mod mod mod mod
I havent gotten my period yet but my family goes to the lake on our boat every weekend and i am scared i will get it then. There are no bathrooms on the boat and we dont stop at all anywhere there is bathrooms. We stay out there for like 8 hours sometimes! What if i get my period on the boat? Also what do i say to my friends and younger bros when we are swimming when i do get it? Thanks!

If you're so worried I suggest you try to put in a tampon before you head out there. It will protect you while you're out there and keep you from leaking everywhere. That's what people wear out in water normally. Good luck! xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by brookerb on 7/14/2012 11:26:26 PM

My period arrived today...yippy... Anyways, I'm always a disaster when it comes to periods! Either I end up leaking or something! I'm just not ready for them yet! PLEASE HELP! Also I have hairs down there, what do I do with them?

by Rainbows_rawr on 7/13/2012 11:56:32 AM

by Rainbows_rawr on 7/13/2012 11:56:22 AM

Hey girl,

If you've had your period already and you think you might be ready to use tampons, I'd definitely recommend them. They come in all sizes so that you can last longer. If your period is heavy, try a bigger sized tampon to reduce the mess (plus you won't have to change it as often). Always have toilet paper and wipes on hand in the bathroom so that you can keep everything clean. If you're leaking, your period might be heavier than you think, and you need to change your pad or tampon more frequently. If you have a free day when you're on your period, try out a tampon or pad for a timed period and see how much it fills up to determine when you should change/how heavy your period is. For those hairs down there, you might want to cut them down--it'll help keep your period days a little cleaner and be easier for applying tampons. Before shaving down there, ask your mom for tips on what you should do. Remember, she was a teen too! She went through the same stuff!

Catherine C.

by Rainbows_rawr on 7/13/2012 11:56:07 AM

MOD MOD MOD!! My period was heavy last month. Does that mean it will be heavy this month too?

Hey girlie,

Not at all! Some girls have naturally heavy periods each month, but your flow can be affected by all sorts of things. And one month of a heavy period doesn't guarantee that yours will be heavy forever Smile

by Piano player114 on 7/12/2012 8:43:39 PM

The first time I had my period i wasn't moody at all! I think you should also do things you love and try to be happy!

by Luna8844 on 7/2/2012 9:41:56 PM

Ok this didn't get posted before.
1. Lately, for like the past couple of weeks, I have been feeling really tired and been really clumsy. No matter how much I sleep, I am always suuper tired. s that a part of PMS? Also, Everyday, I've been clumsy like 24/7. Is that a part of PMS too?
2. I e-mailed Girls Life for the "Your Friend Did What?!?!" contest, and I was wondering if I would get e-mailed if my story was one of the stories chosen. Thnx!
P.S sorry it's so long!

Hey chica, it is possible that PMS can cause you to feel tired and clumsy, but only for the week leading up to your period. You shouldn't have those symptoms from it for weeks on end. So make sure you're eating a healthy diet, keeping your sleep cycle regular, and exercising daily to get your bod on track. And about the contest, you probably won't get emailed, but you'll see your story show up when you get your copy of the mag.
Carrie R.

by happyone123 on 6/27/2012 12:18:39 PM

My brothers always want me to go into our pool but i have my period... how do i tell them that i cant go in? my mom was starting to bribe me in..... how do i say that i cant go in the pool? it is the beggingin so i can only use pads, not tampponbs..... Frown

Hey girl, if it's just your family, it's okay to tell them the truth. They'll understand, and you can join in next time!

by 13agari on 6/22/2012 9:49:38 PM

mod mod mod
this is a little akward but how do you insert a tampon and are there smaller ones? if you can plz answer.

Hey girl!

There are directions on how to insert a tampon in every single box, so try checking those out for some help!
Rachael A.

by watsmyuser on 6/22/2012 4:09:15 PM

Hey 13agari, mark on your calendar the days you have your period, so you'll know when the next one is coming. Be sure you are wearing durable pads that keep your underwear from getting soaked. Also switch when your pads gets too wet. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Hey back also..... its the begginging of my period and i dont know when and how to predict it my mom says that it is like every 28 days but not in the beggingin and my enderwear keeps on getting like bloody... embarrasing! So how do you predict in the bvegginging... thanks! Lynae P.

by 13agari on 6/19/2012 8:25:58 PM

Guys, I am at a B-ball camp and I have my period.... Just started so no way for tampon.... Its a little bit uncomfortable, but it is only 3 more days. Can you play sports in a pad? Just another question... how did you ask yur mom/ dad for tampon when yur older?

by 13agari on 6/19/2012 8:21:16 PM

Hi I need some help. So the deal is, I ride horses a LOT every summer but last summer I got my period when i had a lesson. So Can I wear pads when horse riding? or tampons? Also- would it work to stick a few pads down a cowboy boot?
One more thing- we're also going on a 4 week long road trip this summer and i should get my period around then. the only problem is that we're going to be camping. how will i work with that? I don't think we'll be stopping often, so i can't change pads every couple of hours... Frown So yeah sorry this is long but i need help. Thanks!! Smile <3

Hey girl!

I would recommend using tampons when you're horseback riding. They'll be way more comfortable than pads. You could totally stick a few in your cowboy boot as long as you're sure they're secure in there! Don't want an embarrassing situation if they fall out! Tampons would also be good for camping. They're more comfortable and reliable and way less messy. You won't have to worry as much while you're camping. You can just have a good time! Good luck!

Rachael A.

by Nikichic on 6/18/2012 5:31:45 AM

i am super negetive and i cry alot the past 2 days but i have not started my period does this mean it will happen soon?

Hey Girl,

That may mean it's coming-- sounds like pms. Or it might just be the reg teen hormones

good luck,

Simone
simone s.

by popgirl79 on 6/14/2012 1:24:54 AM

I want to tell my best friend that I got my period, but she is more of the joker type not the serious type. Whenever something comes up that makes her uncomfortable, she jokes about it. When my other friend told us she got hers, my joking friend made fun of her for it. When one of my other friends had a stain, instead of quietly telling her about it so she can do something, she just laughed and pointed. I know that it sounds like she is really mean, she just doesn't know what to do when she is feeling akward, so she makes fun of people to get her out of that state. Any tips?

Hey babe, the best thing for this sitch would be to tell your bestie when you two are hangin' out alone. Have her over for a sleepover, and when you have a moment, just tell her that you have something serious to say. If she makes fun of you, be honest, and tell her that she's hurting your feelings. Don't bring up any of the incidences with your other friends or seem accusing. Just focus on your friendship.
Carrie R.

by mainbunny1 on 6/12/2012 3:26:28 PM

MODMODMOD
I have really bad cramps a few days before, and for the first couple days on my period. Because my tummy hurts so bad, I skip out on exercise. I was wondering: would working out anyway help with the cramps?
Thanks!

Hey babe, get out there and get active! It's tough when you don't feel so good, but your bod will thank you for the exercise. Working out will release pain-numbing beta-endorphins, and you'll end up feeling better after.
Carrie R.

by Graciegang on 6/6/2012 1:35:18 PM

Mod Mod Mod!
I heard about these things called menstrual cups and I'm wondering what they are and how to use one?

Hey girl,

I'm not sure what those are, so I would ask your mom or a doctor.

by Hockeygal5 on 6/2/2012 6:54:28 PM

Hey kkkahy, it will help you to keep track of your periods, so you will know when the next one is coming. Periods come every couple weeks so record the dates when you're on your period again so you can predict the next one. Hope this helps! Xoxo

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I feel like my period runs my life!!! When im on my period im always thinking about how if I will be able to change my pads if we are going somewhere all day, if i will leak, if i will have to go swimming (i dont use tampons) or anything! and when im not on it, im always worreid about when it will come again! will it come when i have to go swimming, will i have important tests during school, will i be on vacation?? it controls my life and i dont know what to. I have a bunch of parties coming up this summer at the beach/in a pool and im worried i will be on my period and not be able to go. How do i stop my period from ruining my life? THanks and sorry this is soo long! Lynae P.

by kkkahy on 6/2/2012 3:17:52 PM

Hey Hockeygal5, that is kinda rude. I would just be ring it up the next time you're around your mom and let her know. I'm sure she will say something to your doctor. Xoxo

GMod Mod Mod
So my doctor is really embarrassing because everytime I go to the doctor she calls me "the problem child" because I have ADHD. And it really hurts me to hear that. Now I hate going to the doctor and I don't know how to tell my mom Lynae P.

by Hockeygal5 on 6/2/2012 9:52:00 AM

Mod Mod Mod
I'm just wondering but is there anything else I can use to like control my flow without pads or tampons?

Hey girl,

When you have your period, pads and tampons are pretty much the only way to go.

by Laxchic2 on 6/1/2012 10:42:44 PM

My mom finally let me use tampons. So I got my period today(I've had it for over 2 years) and I read the back of the box for instructions. There's no diagram but the tampon comes with an applicator. I know this is awkward but I don't know where in my vagina to put the tampon. Sorry it's so wierd. I really want to use my tampons it would help a ton!

Hey girl!

Try asking your mom or another girl you trust to help you. Maybe she can stand outside the bathroom door and give you tips while you try to use the tampon. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Good luck!
Rachael A.

by Lalainya on 5/28/2012 5:42:04 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!
It's almost summer time & I have my period. I LOVE to swim & play sports but I don't know how to use tampons! My friend tried to use one yesterday but she said it hurt! What should I do?

Hey girlie,

It takes a little while to become a pro at tampons, but don't get discouraged! It'll feel so normal and totally comfy once your bod (and muscles "down there") get used to them. They're the only way to keep swimming while you have your period, so they're 100% worth it! Check out our tampon guides to get started and remember - practice makes perfect <3

by jordansmith on 5/27/2012 12:35:13 PM

I had a dream last night and it was about my bF holing my hand, and kissing me on the sheek. How do I tell him that I want our relashonship to be more? He said he was going to hold my hand at the skating rink but he never did. HELP!!!

Hey Girl!

He's just taking his time! He wants to get super comfortable with you before you take your relationship further. Tell him you appreciate that he wants to get to know you better, and are okay with starting out small. Say you would love to hold his hand if he's comfortable with it. Respect his choices. If this were the other way, you would want him to be patient, too.

Marisa D.

by DreamSinger on 5/24/2012 1:01:02 PM

MOD MOD MOD! Please answer i have typed this question SO many times through out the day and im tierd of typeing it. Anyways, What are you suppose to do with the used part of your tampon when you get done with it? I know you throw the plastic tube away when you change it out but what about the used cotten ball thingy. I have always thrown mine in the toilet and flushed it but when i told my friends one of my friends said her mom did the same thing and one of them said her mom did somthing else with them. So can you just flush them down the toilet like i have been? If not what DO i do with them?
Thanks sooo much:

Hey babe,

I always have been told that it's best to just flush it.
Jordan S.

by kpriest on 5/21/2012 7:49:07 PM

***************MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!***************************
Is it normal to have an off odor coming from "down there". I wishicould get rid foot. What kind of soap should I use..also how do I tell my mom?????
ThanksSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Hey girlie,

Check out this article all about this stinky stuff Smile Don't worry - it's TOTALLY normal and it happens to all of us! As the article says, you probably don't need any special soaps or any extra washing "down there" - just wash with warm water and bar soap regularly to avoid the odor. And as always, cotton panties are the best for this because it lets your bod breathe!

by Jojo1120 on 5/19/2012 10:40:27 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD.
ok 2 things:
1 i get magor pms but i dont drink caffiene is there any other way to at least get a little moody cause i get really mean and so negative about myself
2 i am thirteen and sometimes i will have my period every month for for days but then i will skip it for a month but i will have it twice the next month is this normal?

Hey girl,

It's normal to have irregular periods when you're young, but it never hurts to visit a doc to be sure. If you're having PMS, talk to your mom about taking an over-the-counter medication to ease your symptoms. And drinking extra water, exercising and eating healthy will do wonders to increase your mood, especially during your period!

by bribri_xox on 5/11/2012 11:11:52 PM

what but lynae P. just replied to me earlier and said that you no longer have it?

Hm, not sure why! Maybe she wasn't clear about what you were asking... but it's still here Smile Just follow those directions I gave you and you'll find it <3

by CottonCandyCutie on 5/5/2012 11:35:29 PM

how come you no longer have your period section?

Hey girlie,

Don't worry, we do! Our "YOUR BOD" section just moved over to the Health & Fitness part of GL.com. Hover over Health & Fitness, then hover over Your Bod, then click on Periods, Period for all our period advice, tips, and answers Smile

by CottonCandyCutie on 5/5/2012 11:18:26 PM

I really like the section periods, period but every time I come here there is only two things to read. This and the 'can I speed up my period' one. Is that because you stopped making articles for this section or do you think there's something wrong with my computer. Please reply

Hey CottonCandyCutie, yeah we no longer have our period section. There may be more articles in the future. Xoxo

Lynae P.

by CottonCandyCutie on 5/5/2012 1:21:59 PM

mod mod mod
it wont let me go into the link to be a moderator its not blue and i cant click it thanks

Try copying the URL and pasting it into your address bar Smile

by softballgal72 on 4/26/2012 8:36:17 PM

can i become a moderator and if i can how?
thanks

Hey girlie,

If you're 18 or over, you can apply to become a mod! Click the link below and scroll down to the "WHERE" section for more info Smile

by softballgal72 on 4/26/2012 8:30:14 PM

livibear,
I wouldnt use vaseline, GL has always recommended that using a personal lubricant like KY or Astroglide is acceptable. That is what I use, but I wouldnt use vaseline. drugstore.com and amazon.com has that and more and you can also get it easily at the store.

by luckykel on 4/25/2012 10:30:27 PM

livibear,

by luckykel on 4/25/2012 10:27:19 PM

Mod mod mod sorry to be a pain. But I'm also suppose to get my period when I go to a water park with my school. I've never used tampons before and I'm really scared my mom wants me to use them. But how do I tell her I want to use them. My group for our field trip is all eight grade girls and I know so of them have their periods but what if it's not the rigt time to start using tampons because I've never used them before. What do I do then? Please answer

You can start using tampons whenever. So if you need them for the waterpark then i say you get some and practice using them. No need to be nervous Smile i bet it will come naturally after a bit of practice. xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by softballgal72 on 4/25/2012 9:14:16 PM

Im due for my period next wednesday and im going camping with my girl scout troop next weekend. they are 6-12th graders andi dont want to be embarassed. what should i do. i know i will have it and obviously some of them already have theirs but still.
please help

Hey girl, no need to feel embarrassed! Bring some pads and tampons along and youll be fine. Everyone understands, theyre all girls!

lauren r.

by softballgal72 on 4/25/2012 5:55:35 PM

Mod mod mod!

How so you insert a tampon I'm using playtax sport. Please help!!!

by MakeItOrBreakIt:)) on 4/24/2012 7:16:29 PM

Mod mod mod
Since Tuesday I have had dark brown discharge. It has never lasted this long so I think it's my period,because earlier when I wiped the toilet paper had blood on it. Is this normal? I have been having cramps and I'm emotional. My periods have been irregular since January, I get then every other week. What gives what's wrong with me? Please answer.

Hey girlie,

It's totally normal for periods to be super irregular, and yes this does sound like it could be your period again. But if you get your periods every other week and you're not exaggerating, you should check with a doctor about this. It's nothing to be worried about, but it's also not super healthy to be losing that much blood/dealing with a period that often. A professional could have a lot more info about why your period is so unpredictable - and could even help you even it out with hormones (like the pill), if it's something you and your parents would want to do!

by Girlzrock123 on 4/19/2012 10:22:56 PM

Tomorrow I’m going to be staying at a waterpark for 2 days, the problem is, I hav en’t been keeping track of my period. What if it happens at the waterpark? The symptoms I’ve been having lately is that my discharge is thick. Does that mean it’s coming this week? PLEASE help! I appreciate it so much

by xoxoStaceyxoxo on 4/17/2012 7:08:40 PM

Is it safe to use vaseline on your tampon to help it go in?
Thanks!

Hey girl!

According to this site, it could cause bacterial infections and dryness, so it's not.

Krupali D.

by livibear on 4/16/2012 4:06:35 PM

The Agency
A club For all you Middle School chicas who need advice on boys, beauty, friends, or just some peeps to help you keep your cool during tough times. Along with the newest trends and gossip, you'll be hot stuff. Calling all Agents: Officer positions open!

by ostar21 on 4/15/2012 5:55:13 PM

Mods? Can You Help Mii?!
I want to know if I have PMS? Im always Moody, my mom is always saying Im very argumentative,always wanting to yell and be so angry and sometimes Im so sadd. Either way My discharge has been really heavy lately and I had it for a long time when will my period come?

Hey babe,

It's possible that you could be having PMS, although it would be strange to without a period.  You may just be in a strange mood.  As far as your period, there's no way to predict when it will come.  It's different for every girl.
Jordan S.

by Prett Tee on 4/14/2012 8:07:23 PM

Finally an article on how to banish PMS. Yay!!!

by booknerd1999 on 4/13/2012 9:50:59 PM

MODMODMOD..
Could you give me some tips on tampons. I am very scared of them but I know I need them for swimming and they'll be useful for sports.
Thanks in advance!

Hey babe, take a look at these

Jordan S.

by kammiemay on 4/7/2012 6:08:18 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD.
I got my period about 1 1/2 years ago now. It hasn't been regular up until recently; where the past two months it came 25 days apart. Is that normal? Also, for my softball games, I was wondering if using super plus tampons would be okay for me. I normally use regular and super, but I sometimes even leak through the super at some practices, and I can't risk that in my games! thank you so much. <3
xoxoxo, tutuloverrrrr

Hey girl!

Period cycles usually fluctuate, so getting one 25 days apart is perfectly normal. Increasing absorbency of tampons increases risk of getting Toxic Shock Syndrome along with not changing it every four to six hours, so I would say stick to the low absorbency ones and just change them frequently when you take bathroom breaks.

Krupali D.

by tutuloverrrrr on 4/6/2012 8:45:32 AM

JOIN MY CLUB!
Want to get that bikini bod by the summer, but it seems impossible? Or do you just want to look good in neon skinny jeans that are SO in this season? Maybe you just need to eat healthier. Either way, you should join my club, Get Fit Fast! If you want more details about the club, go to my profile! And right now, we are looking for a Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Eat healthy motivator, and a Exercise motivator! If you want one of those jobs, you can ask for the job on my profile in the COMMENTS. Please do not apply for any of the jobs in the club on a post. JUST on the COMMENTS.

by New_York_City on 3/29/2012 11:27:52 AM

mod mod mod
hi! i was just wondering... what is the HPV vaccine?

Hey girl!  The HPV vaccine is called Gardasil. Ask your doctor for more info. about it, and if it's right for you.

xo,

Channa R.

by guitargirl7321 on 3/29/2012 11:15:23 AM

MOD MOD!! Is there anyway that I can not have a heavy period??

Hey girl, check out this page and see if it helps:

We have everything you need to know about all things period! ♥, Your Blog Patrol Babes

erin m.

by cwoodlee on 3/28/2012 2:35:30 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I get my period every 14 days instead of 28
Is this normal

Hey girl,

Your flow will be very irregular for the first few years of your period.

Jordan S.

by kenzielynn on 3/24/2012 6:10:31 PM

Hey cwoodlee, I know talking about your period can be awkward, but remember your mom is there to help you. She has already been through everything your bod is going through now, so she'll know exactly what to tell you. If you're afraid of bringing it up face to face leave her a note or send her a text. No worries girl, it will be fine. Xoxo

MOD MOD please help!! I am scared to ask my mom about using tampons. I don't know what to say! Me and my mom are close put I don't really like to talk about my period with her. I don't really like talking about it with anyone! PLEASE HELP! Lynae P.

by cwoodlee on 3/24/2012 1:02:39 PM

MOD MOD! PLEASE HELP! I hate my period! I usually have it every month at the same time that I am supposed to have it. Lately I have been having really bad cramps and I have been bleeding really heavy. I don't know what to do! Please tell me if there are any medicines that I can take or anything that I can do! PLEASE HELP!

Hey girl,

You can take ibuprofen for cramps, and if your flow is heavy, try changing your pad / tampon more often. If your cramps are still buggin' ya, talk to your doc to see if there are any other meds you can take to relieve your pain.

by cwoodlee on 3/24/2012 12:49:42 PM

I have some mood swings when I'm on my period. This time my cousin might die and I am really upset so my mood keeps changing from depressed to mean to not caring. Now my friends(who are very mean) are saying I am really mean! I can't help it and only my mom and very best friend know about me having my period so I don't want to tell them. Please help!

Hey girl,

It's normal to be irritable during your period, so if you think you might say something unkind, take some time to yourself and avoid conversations where you might be tempted to be unkind until you're able to calm down and stay positive.

by Catty13 on 3/24/2012 10:33:49 AM

MOD! Ok so i like HATE my period. Im 12 yrs old. Is there any birth control or something that wouldnt harm me any that i could take to not make me have my period ANY more, like maybe 4 times a year? I still want to be able to have kids when i get older i just want to stop my period for now, you know cause im young and i cant STAND it. Im a tom boy so i really dont like it. So is there any kind of medicine, birth control, exc. that i could take to make it stop or maybe even lighten it a lot? That would hurt me because im young?

Hey girl,

There are birth control pills that will give you a lighter period, but you'll probably still have a slight period, and it would likely be a daily pill, not 4 times a year. There may be an option for you, but you'll have to discuss that with your parents and doctor to get a professional opinion before you start any medication.

by kpriest on 3/23/2012 8:42:13 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
ive just recently started my period and i sometimes get my period every two weeks, sometimes nine days apart. Ive only gotten my period 4 times so far so should I just wait and see if my cycle gets more regular over time and if not after awhile go to a doctor? thankss xoxo

Hey! it's fairly common for periods to be irregular for the first year, but by all means go see a doctor if you feel something's not right.

Helen S.

by kkkahy on 3/23/2012 7:09:41 PM

this actually works for me! I barely ever drink anything but water and milk and I barely EVER have cramps!

by Glitterheart16 on 3/18/2012 1:24:18 AM

Mod mod mod Lately when I try to comment it won't post. I haven't said anything bad? Could you help tell me what's going on?

Hey chica! Sometimes we get super busy over here and questions and/or comments slip through the cracks. I'll be modding until 1 a.m. tonight, so if you post anything, I'll try to get to it as quick as I can Smile

xxx

Becca G.

by tweety545 on 3/11/2012 9:50:15 PM

All the girls in my grade (@ my school) have had there's except me and my friend! For basketball we did gag gifts for secret santa and me and my friend both got a box of tampons! everyone makes fun of us and says we're not "women". lol but i'm glad i haven't gotten mine yet! yeesh...

by glpinkygirl77 on 3/10/2012 12:33:31 PM

Mod mod mod!
I just got my period for the first time ever like a few weeks ago. And I already wanna use tampons my friends say you'll be ready by then and regret not doing it earlier and I'm already super sick of pads. What are good tampons to use at first? Am I ready? Also how to I ask my mom about it?

Hey girl,

Tampons with an applicator are probably the easiest for first time use, but it's best to talk to your mom before you try them! It seems awkward to bring it up, but she's been there and has tons of advice to share! If you feel too awkward to bring up the conversation, you could text her or leave a note that you want to talk. She'll understand -- she's a girl too!

by MakeItOrBreakIt:)) on 3/9/2012 11:17:37 PM

I heard that eating dairy helps your PMS but will drinking water help make my flow lighter? I'ts so hard to go to P.E. because I wear pads, i've tried tampons but they just don't fit because i'm just not ready. Please help thanks
Smile BooBoo

Hey girl,

Drinking water will help ease cramps and keep ya healthy, but it doesn't directly affect your flow. If you've got a heavy flow, try maxi pads with more protection and wings for more support. If you're still having tampon trouble, talk to your mom or another trusted female relative -- they'll be happy to help you find a kind that works!

by AwesomeBlossom on 3/9/2012 9:11:15 PM

MOD MOD MOD!! I really need alot of help! I just tryed tampons for the first time and i dont know hardly anything about them. I dont even know if i put it in right i look at the diagram and im pretty sure i did but.... anyway when i sit down it feels fine but when i stand up or move around it feels like its rubbing me or something idk if i just need to get used to it or take it out and put it in a diff. angle but if i do what angle??? And what about when i have to pee do i take it out and wipe or just wipe over it?? Also how long do i need to keep it in when i get comforatable with it? Thanks sooo much! XOXO
Kels Smile

hey! I think you probably did it right it just takes some getting used to. When you go to the bathroom there's no need to take it out to wipe. Depending on your flow you can keep it in for 4 to 6 hours, usually the box says something about that. Good luck Smile

Helen S.

by kpriest on 3/9/2012 5:58:32 PM

mod mod modie mod moooood!!!!! i havnt gotten my period yet and im worried because i think i might get it soon possibly but im soooooooo afraid when ill have to tell my mom cause shed probably be like OMG OMG OMGGGGGG I CANT BELIVE IT OMG and go all nuts on me and flip out when i get it how and when should i tell her??????

Hey girlie,

I don't think she'll flip out! There was a time when SHE was getting her first period too. Once you do get it, you'll have to tell her, so go up to her calmly and say - "Mom, I don't want you to freak out because it'll make me nervous. Please be calm - I got my period, and I'm fine with it, but I was just wondering if we could go to the store so I could get some supplies. I want to tell you and be able to ask you questions and stuff, so don't go nuts!" Chances are, she'll be more sentimental (and that can be awkward in its own way) than freaked Smile

by madolyn99 on 3/8/2012 9:18:38 PM

Mod mod I'm going on vacation and I'm not sure if I'm gonna ve on my period. I'm not sure how many tampons and liners to pack. My period usually lay 4 days. What do you think is a good number of tampons and liners?

Hey girlie,

Since you're going on vacation, you're probably taking a suitcase, right? Could you just grab a normal-sized box of regular tampons and a normal-sized box of liners, then pack both? You most likely won't use all of them - or maybe even half of them. But you wanna be safe! It's not like you'll be in the middle of nowhere so you CAN buy more if you need them, but it's always better to pack more just in case Smile

by Girlzrock123 on 3/8/2012 8:07:03 PM

MODMODMOD
K so im new to my period (had it 4 like 6 months so far) and I really don't like pads. At all. Like, hate em. SO I want to try tampons, so i asked my mom and she said she thought i wasnt ready and she doesnt want me to get TSS. I told her that if i wear tampons ill change em daily and wear pads at night but she still says no! Is there ANY way I can persaude! her D:

Hey girlie,

You might just need to let some time pass before mom feels ready Frown I totally understand where you're coming from - I use tampons now because pads were soooo gross to me. Over the next few months, try to prove to her that you're responsible and mature in other areas of your life. Do your chores on time, finish your homework without being asked, clean up after yourself, keep things neat and tidy, check in with her when you're out with friends, etc. Basically, show her you're growing up. Then after some time passes, come back and ask her again. Tell her how pads make you feel - and how you feel like tampons would really make things better. Then tell her you feel responsible enough and mature enough to stick with tampons til you get the hang of them, change tampons before 6-8 hours as they recommend, use pads overnight, and work with her to figure this out. Basically, try to be patient and, instead of just telling her, SHOW her you're ready!

by Lizzy64 on 3/8/2012 7:56:19 PM

ok so im getting this like stomach ache in my lower stomach... not exactly on down there, but right above, and i was like about to cry, and now its just achy but it feels like its gonna come back.... and for a second i had a little spasm of cramps down there... and i have diarrea... is this period nausea and cramps? or do i just have a stomach ache?

Hey girlie,

It's tough to tell - since you do have diarrhea, it could be that your stomach is disagreeing with something you ate, you're fighting off a stomach bug, etc. But sometimes I get diarrhea/nausea due to period cramps, too! Usually my gas pains/stomach troubles happen a little bit higher up than my cramps and feel like "rolling" pains. Cramps, on the other hand, feel like dull, hollow aches and kind of feel deeper/more sturdy. It's really hard to describe obviously so this probably sounds crazy haha, but the point is that they DO feel different... it just takes a while of feeling both for you to be able to tell the difference <3 It could definitely be your period cramps though, so make sure you're prepared just in case!

by rosemaryluver on 3/8/2012 7:07:51 PM

this is stupid, but what's with all the "MOD MOD MOD"?!?!

Hey girl,

A "MOD" is...well, me! Me and a whole team of older girls approve all your comments, answer your advice questions, and keep GL.com clean of all offensive topics, vulgar language, etc. If you want to get our attention and have us answer your advice question, you can put MOD MOD at the beginning so it catches our attention <3

by nosillagirl on 3/8/2012 6:58:33 PM

is that kind of sugar craving normal? (i just asked a question) and, does alot of discharge mean your periods coming? or just alot of discharge? thanks Smile

hey girl, yes its definitely normal. Your body is changing and it doesn't really know how to handle that so sometimes you might get a lot, or non at all. Don't worry, you're fine! =]

lauren r.

by rosemaryluver on 3/7/2012 7:28:19 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
ok so im 12 i have 32 A boobs i have hair down there, kinda thick ish i dont have armpit hair ive been getting discharge for like a year and a half, and ive gotten this light brown stuff in my underwear but my friend said she got that before her period but it wasnt it
but anyways so i have been getting discharge more and more frequently and it used to be like 3 days out of a month but now its like 3 days out of a month that i dont get discharge, and today i had like A HUGE amount... and i also had a huge sugar craving and i got a chocolate chip energy bar and i dipped it into canned vanilla frosting (don't worry im usually really healthy) and i get a little bit of mood swings and ive been getting cramps for over a year.. is my period coming soon?
THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE
rosemaryluver

Hey girl, it definitely sounds like it could be soon!

lauren r.

by rosemaryluver on 3/7/2012 6:44:59 PM

Ok iv had my aunt flo vistit for the third time and im still kinda learining about it but why do i dread going number 2 its like a hate wiping now it feels gross and like weird (i know its kinda personal and gross but i wanna know) i know i sound stupid but ots odd honestly it feels like my down there "hair" is all stuck together and when i wipe it burns kinda

by Gypsygirl555 on 3/6/2012 6:25:30 AM

MOD MOD MOD another question... there's this stuff in my undies its like clear I don't know what the heck it is

That's known as discharge, chica.  It's your body's natural way of cleaning up, down there. Jordan S.

by nikstar123 on 3/5/2012 8:45:02 PM

Mod mod mod I'm only ten and ive gotten my period. Why did I get it so early? Am I even normal?

Hey babe,

there is no real normal when it comes to a girl getting her period.  It happens when it happens, each body is different.
Jordan S.

by nikstar123 on 3/5/2012 8:14:44 PM

Mod mod mod I got my period and I'm ten I am so scared. I feel so left out. I cry and cry I feel miserable. Can you tell me something to make me feel better?

Why would you feel left out, babe?  There's nothing wrong with you at all because of this.  Your body simply developed more quickly than other girls'.  Just remind yourself of that.  You're no different simply because you have your period.  Cheer yourself up by watching some of your favorite movies or reading to distract yourself. Jordan S.

by nikstar123 on 3/5/2012 7:02:42 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!! i really want a bikini bod b4 summer, and i'll work out for about a week, but...then blah. i'll just stop. do you have any suggestions on how to stay on track?

Hey girlie,

Try setting goals for yourself - and rewards if you complete them. It totally helped me stay on track for my beach-bod workouts last year! Try saying to yourself - if I stay on schedule and work out for two weeks, I'll get to buy a new bikini top. If I stay on schedule and work out for two more weeks, I'll get to buy a new bikini bottom. Two more weeks gets me a new pair of sunglasses. Two more weeks gets a new pair of sandals. (Obviously this requires a bit of saving/budgeting money and allowance, but you can do it!) It helps ya motivate yourself by keeping things exciting. You could also use a planner to map out each day, then schedule serious workout-time in there. If you schedule it, it's harder to skip!

by soccergirlok on 3/3/2012 9:49:35 PM

MODMODMOD
This is a lil gross but the other week i went to number 2 and when I wiped here was blood on the toilet paper. Then yesterday it happened again. It never happened before these times though. Im scared. Whats going on?

Hey girlie,

Are you sure it isn't your period? It's only when you go #2? If so, you should probably mention it to your parents so you can chat with a doc. Usually this isn't anything to worry about and could be caused by something as simple as dry skin or a cut "down there" you didn't know you had. But it could be an inflamed bowel (gross I know) or any number of other things too. That's why it's best to see your doctor, just to play safe Smile

by futurewriter16 on 3/3/2012 7:34:31 PM

I'm almost to my period and I feel really hot all o a sudden what is this am I sick?

by codyluver143 on 3/3/2012 1:40:26 PM

MOD MOD
I've been (what my mom thinks has been PMSing for about a month now) And I didn't get my period last month and I should be getting it soon this month but I'm not sure if I will. I usually get it every month though...
Anyways I don't think it's PMS I think I might have depression what should I do? I'm always sad and just feel like laying down and doing nothing all day. It's so confusing :S
I also have no one I feel like I can talk to about this so could you help me?

Hey girl,

I can only imagine how tough things must be for you -- because we wish only the best for you, it's important you talk to a trusted adult such as a family member, guidance counselor or doctor as soon as possible. Check out this post for some free resources and hotlines with professionals who would be happy to speak with you! http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx

by 11soccergirl11 on 3/2/2012 10:12:18 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I have had my period for about 1 year and a half or 2 years and before i get my period i get some white/clear stuff in my underwear what is that? I've never known. (i dont want this question to be awkward but i really want to know)

Hey girlie,

Not awkward at all. We've heard this question sooo many times before - you're not alone! That clear/white stuff is called discharge, which is a totally normal and super common thing to find "down there." In fact, basically every girl has it! Check out this article for ALL the deets on discharge you could possibly wanna know! Smile

by dancer0014 on 3/2/2012 12:12:01 AM

MOD MOD!!! so I really want to use tampons, because pads are messy and feel like a diaper. I have my period now and I want to ask my mom but I don't know what to say!!! THANKS THANKS SOMUCCH(:

Hey girlie,

Just go for it! There's no "trick" to make asking mom easier - it's gonna be kinda awkward at first, but so worth it! Go up to her when she has a quiet moment - when she's washing the dishes, when she's reading before bed, etc. Tell her you've had your period for a little while now and pads have become really gross-feeling, messy, and frustrating. Then tell her you think you're ready to try tampons, so you were wondering if you could both go to the drugstore tomorrow - tell her you know you can handle them and you'd love it if she could help you pick a brand to try. Asking her to be involved and help you will totally make her smile Smile

by Tayincali on 3/1/2012 7:55:45 PM

Mod Mod Mod Both my mom and my sister got their periods at age 13. I turned 13 in January. Do you think I'll be getting mine soon?

Hey girlie,

Sometimes you can predict when you get your period based on your family history, but it's impossible to guarantee it! Just try to be patient and make sure you ask questions, get prepared by carrying a pad with you/having some in the house, and get comfy with the idea of "having a period." You can't hurry things along - and even your doctor can't know exactly when it's coming. It could be next week, next month, or in two years... I wish we could tell ya more! <3

by MusicIsLove123 on 3/1/2012 6:47:10 PM

We all have those certain things that we wanna fix, but either try and can never get it, or are just too plain lazy. On my new club, BeTheBestYou!! we motivate each other, create, goals, have fun, and support each other so all of us can be the best we can!! Please join!! Thanks chicas!Smile

by laxchickie19 on 2/29/2012 11:13:56 PM

Mod Mod Mod
I cannot put in a tampon. I want to so bady, though! I have watched youtube videos, box directions, tried different positions, but I have almost gone through a whole box with none of them working! It won't go in all the way. What can I do now?

Hey Doodle600, you should try switching your size. Go for a much smaller one or try switching brands, and try propping one leg up on the toilet, so you have an angle to aim it at. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by Doodle600 on 2/29/2012 8:07:44 PM

Mod Mod Mod
I got my period like about a month ago and I'm about a month late.... I know that periods are irregular the first year but a while ago I thought I was getting my period before swim practice so I tried to put a tampon in using the directions... Is there any way that when I tried to put it in i might have put it in wrong and it kind of messed "down there" up... Will I get my period again????

Hey girlie,

Don't even worry! It's pretty much impossible for a tampon to ruin anything.  Unless you leave one in for way too long, tampons are really relatively reliable and healthy.  It's likely that something else is just affecting your period.  It'll come back.
Jordan S.

by Danielle:)3 on 2/29/2012 3:12:46 PM

MOD MOD
Tampons or pads?

Tampons are my allll time favorite. Make eveything better. xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by Dolphinz on 2/28/2012 6:57:33 PM

MODMODMOD
My dad has been sick for a week. He has a TERRIBLE headache and a fever like 100.7ish. the doctor gave him a huge pill but he hasnt got much better. do you know whats wrong with him?
Thanks (:

I have no idea hon. Funny enough im not a doctor. However I would trust in your dads doctor and give it some time. I think your dad will pull through and things will be great. Good luck. xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by LemonLime18 on 2/28/2012 6:10:58 PM

plaese go to my clue: Boys being mean get back at they get fit.
i miss spelled the name of my clue soooo the name i was going for is: Boys being mean get back at them get fit.
Luv. Schoneboom<3

by schoneboom on 2/28/2012 2:46:28 AM

********Mod*********
3 time I have tryed posting this! Please answer!

Hey girl! You don't want it to become infected, so I wouldn't suggest popping it. You could try putting a band-aid on it to help it heal, but if it is really bothering you, you should go see your doctor.

Colleen K.

by Girlzrock123 on 2/27/2012 7:27:34 AM

MODMODMODMODMODMOD

I apologize for posting about that, but can I make a suggestion? You can have a section about boys puberty and stuff....because without the boy half of a baby, we wouldnt be here. I just think it isnt fair that we can talk about girl stuff on here, and sexual stuff sometimes, but not talk about boys stuff. They're just as important as us girls, and i think that to understnad girl puberty you need to underatnad boy puberty and vice versa.....just saying Smile

by futurewriter16 on 2/26/2012 10:31:12 PM

futurewriter16, You arent alone, we all wonder about what guys go through, especially if we have a bf. I have one so I have been wondering more and more. You can just google what you want to and find just about anything and everything. And they usually show more than in health class, so be ready for that, especially wikipedia searches. So even though our health teacher showed us everything when it came to a guys 'down there' just be ready.

by luckykel on 2/26/2012 7:03:24 PM

*****MODMODMOD***** I have a problem. I have had my period for about a year and a half now. Anyways my last period was on january 23 and i still havent gotton my period this month. Do you think something is wrong?? Do i need to tell my mom to take me to the doctor? Im sorta freaking out because it hasn't done this before.

Ok well its the 26th. Which is only a month and 3 days after your last period. You get your period every month. So there is no reason to be freaking out. Trust me - periods are THE most irregular things ever. You should get it soon. Give it time. If a lot of time passes tell your mom but it should come within the next few weeks. xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by JohnDeereGirl11 on 2/26/2012 6:47:15 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!!!
Hey, I am 15 years old and I think I am getting close to the end of growing and puberty but I have a prob...Over the past year or two I have realized that my right boob is a lot bigger than my left, like they are different cup sizes and bras never fit me properly at all!Frown I thought they would even out by now but nothing is happening!? I am scared there is something wrong with me or that I will be like this forever?? What do I do?

Hey girlie,

There's no guarantee your boobs will be like that forever...or that they'll even out. Check out this article for a little "fact or fiction" about uneven boobs. As the article says, sometimes it can be affected by family history, but most of the time you just have to be patient and see where your body takes ya! And most important, ALWAYS love the bod you've got. To help you love it, we have this article with tips on finding the right bra even when your boobs are uneven. The truth is, every one of us has a boob that is bigger than the other one. No one is totally symmetrical, even if they've gotten surgery for fake boobs. Perfection isn't real - and no one notices the major diff except for you! <333

by GLcutiee100 on 2/26/2012 3:00:37 AM

MODMODMODMOD
I dont see why you hid my comment. What I asked about is as natural as a period.....

Sorry girl, but we have to make those tough calls so that ALL our visitors see this is as a safe and comfortable place. Remember - girls of all ages visit GL.com so we need to make sure everything is appropriate for them, too. When things are of a more sexual nature, unfortunately sometimes that means we need to hide it. Thanks for understanding.

by futurewriter16 on 2/25/2012 11:01:43 PM

MODMODMODMOD (comment hidden by moderator)

Hey girl,

Sorry to hide your comment - since your question could be seen as offensive by some girls, we wanna play it safe and keep it private. To answer your question, it's basically when a guy has a "suggestive" or "intimate" dream about a girl and gets a little carried away. Wish we could answer in more detail but you understand - gotta keep things on here clean and comfortable for all our GL babes <3

by futurewriter16 on 2/25/2012 10:47:22 PM

MODMODMODMODMOD
Why do periods embarrass some guys and not others?

I think it's like anything else - some people would be embarrassed by public speaking while others are good at it, right? Well, some guys are creeped out by "girl stuff" (periods, pads, PMS) and others are cool about it. It has to do a lot with maturity levels. But even mature guys could prefer you to keep that stuff a secret - or at least not explain all the gory details to them. It's foreign for them since they don't go through it themselves...and I admit it, it's kind of gross to talk about sometimes haha Smile So we can understand why they wouldn't wanna know too much. But like I said, it depends! <3

by futurewriter16 on 2/25/2012 10:40:27 PM

MODMODMODMOD
Lauren C, I sometimes talk about periods in general (not gory stuff) and philosophically and scientifically with my best guy friend whos my crush. hes very mature about it and it doesnt embarrass him.....so is that ok? or since hes my crush (he knows) am i pushing it? im not trying to be creepy with him. we have discussions about many different things often...is tht ok?

Hey girlie,

As long as you know it doesn't creep him out, that's totally fine! Smile It's just different for every guy so we can't say "Don't talk about periods with guys ever" or "Every guy will be ok with talking about periods." There's no rule, so you gotta feel out the situation. If part of your friendship with your crush is based on talking about ALL sorts of things, discussing topics that are sometimes controversial/philosophical, and you've chatted about periods before, that makes it ok! Smile

by futurewriter16 on 2/25/2012 10:27:17 PM

MODMODMODMOD
Is it ok if i talk to my guy friends about periods?

Hey girlie,

It's definitely ok to talk about it because it's a normal part of life, but beware - it could make your guy friends feel awkward or grossed out. Try to hint about your period or use code words ("that time of the month") to see how they react. If they seem cool with it, no biggie. But definitely don't go into detail about your period around them. When they're older, they might be able to handle it - but right now, they probably don't wanna hear about it Smile

by futurewriter16 on 2/25/2012 9:46:17 PM

MODMODMODMODMODMOD
Is it normal if i get a little wet down there when i think about the guy i like? Whats this caused by? HELP

Hey girl,

Totally normal! Smile Check out this article all about discharge - it can be caused by lots of things including hormones, diet, sexual arousal, and more.

by futurewriter16 on 2/25/2012 8:55:32 PM

Hey Girlzrock123, you could be ovulating. Sometimes a girl can ovulate even before her period, or at different times during it. If you're really concerned about it I would talk to my doctor. Hope this helps! XOxo (I had responded to you earlier but for some reason none of my responses are showing, sorry about that)

by Lynae P. on 2/25/2012 8:55:16 PM

Mod
When the last
Mod posted my comment the answer didn't show up will you please re post it or answer my question thanks

I'm on my period again... I had it 10 days ago, and I had it 3 times during January. I know that it usually takes up to 2 years for your period to regulate. am I even ovulating? If so when?

by Girlzrock123 on 2/25/2012 8:49:02 PM

Mod mod mod
I'm on my period again... I had it 10 days ago, and I had it 3 times during January. I know that it usually takes up to 2 years for your period to regulate. Do am I even ovulating? If so when?

Lynae P.

by Girlzrock123 on 2/25/2012 6:48:04 PM

modmodmod
today i got a kidney stone (the doctors told me its very rare for my age, im 14) and it was horrible. ik im supposed to drink lots of fluids but i was wondering if u could give me some info on how harmful they can b, how to prevent them etc. this was probably the most painful thing i ever expierienced in my life so id realy appreaciate ur help Smile

Lynae P.

by iheartsmiles on 2/25/2012 6:28:30 PM

MODMODMOD
2 questions:
I just got my second period, and is it normal for the (fresh) blood to be brown?
Also, monday is the first time I have gym class with my period...what should i do about making sure it doesn't leak and stuff? (i wear pads)

Lynae P.

by Spacemadness on 2/25/2012 3:30:47 PM

i just i had my period on feb. 20th and it was 10 days late my first period ever was in january 2012 so ive been really panincing my mom says im fine and my period ended on the 24th is it normal for it to be late?! p.s. im 12

Hey girl,

Your mom's right -- as long as you're getting your period, you're fine! Your first few periods can be irregular, so there's nothing to worry about, especially if you're not sexually active.

by pinklol56 on 2/25/2012 10:54:33 AM

MODMODMODMOD
Is it weird that I still can't use a tampon? I'm 15, but I got my period in grade 6. It's still not regular. Everytime I try to put a tampon in, it sorta hurts & feels uncomfortable. I just don't want to be the only girl who always wears pads...

Hey girl,

That's not weird at all -- people of all ages struggle with tampon use. Don't be afraid to ask your mom, sis or aunt for help, and check out these posts for more tips. http://www.girlslife.com/post/2011/04/19/Tampon-trouble-It-still-hurts.aspx http://www.girlslife.com/post/2010/12/21/I-cant-get-the-hang-of-tampons.aspx

by Blushing-Beauty on 2/25/2012 9:51:19 AM

MODMODMOD okay, first of all, what does mod mean? Second, what does PMS mean? Thanks! Smile

Hey girlie,

"Mod" means moderator - that's me! Me and a whole team of older girls approve your comments and clubs, give you advice, and basically keep GL clean of offensive language, personal info, vulgar stuff, spam, etc. Putting "MOD" at the beginning of your question lets us know that you want us to answer.

by furryfriend99 on 2/24/2012 9:43:30 PM

MODMODMODMOD How soaked should you let a pad get before you change it? My mom said that I should just change it every time I go to the bathroom, but if I did that, it would leak onto my underwear? I don't want to waste pads though, so how soaked should they get? I normally change them every time I think if it. The blood is usually VERY visable from the bottom of the pad, but hasn't quite soaked through that plastic-y stick part at the bottom! Thanks!!

Hey spencer9800, you should change it whenever you feel the need too. If you feel it's getting too wet down there, change it. You shouldn't let it get too soaked before you get a new one. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by spencer9800 on 2/24/2012 7:34:23 PM

Mod mod mod Isent ovulation discharge? Can u ovulate without you starting ur period? Ovulation is the egg right and then it turns into discharge, right?? Then whats ur period if ovulation is ur egg? Please clear things up for me and answer my questions thank u

Hey LoveChanges, nope your period has to stop for you to begin ovulating. Once you start ovulating you become pregnant. One sign of ovulation is increased discharge. Your period is your body's natural way of cleansing itself. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by LoveHappens on 2/24/2012 5:40:16 PM

Mod I hope I'm not about to start my period... I had it last week, and that's been happening alot! I got it 3 times in January and iv already had it once this month. What should I do? Btw im 14 and started in June of 2011 Thanks mod

Hey Girlzrock123, mhmm sounds like your period is irregular. I would make an appointment with the doctor to see if you should get medicine to stop this or if it will clear up on its own. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by Girlzrock123 on 2/24/2012 3:47:12 PM

MODMODMOD i get plenty of sleep, calcium, and exercize and it doesn't help my PMS. do you have any more suggestions?

Hey girl! Some girls just have a bit harder time with PMS. Sitting with a heating pad over your lower stomach is a good fix to killer cramps and even just stretching in the morning and before bed can help to reduce the pain.
Ana D.

by GLROCKS2017 on 2/24/2012 1:59:30 PM

I was wondering is there anyway to change my pad in the washroom without having everyone hear the loud ripping noise?? It's so embarrassing! any suggestions?

Hey girlie,

Try this old trick - flush the toilet at the same time that you rip the pad off! It's hard because you'll have to open the new pad and rip off the sticky strip of the new one too, but a flush is long enough to TOTALLY mask the sound! It'll seem like someone didn't flush enough when they used it before, so flushing again before you use it is no big deal Smile

by waterwish555 on 2/23/2012 5:41:07 PM

Hey chicas! Need some imediate advice? Come to my club, Dear KD! It's an advice club where you can get advice from several people to get different prespectives! I am giving out positions to anyone who is wanting them! Hope to see you there! <3

by smiles48 on 2/22/2012 7:05:30 PM

MODMODMODMODMODMODMODMOD
What changes do boys go through during puberty? Do boys get periods, too?

haha nooo. Boys do not get periods. They go through growth spurts. Their voices get lower, they have more testosterone, they may smell more, etc. Their body basically just matures but they do not go through periods like we do.

Kerra S.

by futurewriter16 on 2/21/2012 7:15:27 PM

Mod mod mod mod!!! (kerra s.) okay so my mom uses tampons but right now she has a box of tampax cardboard or those good for beginners and what types do you recommend for first time tampon users??? I want to make sure I know what types of tampons are good when I ask my mom if I can try. Thanks Smile

I think tampax pearl might be easier for you because the plastic glides a bit easier. Try that for your first time. xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by Tayincali on 2/21/2012 6:56:49 PM

MODMODMODMODMODMOD
I got my first period over two months ago and still haven't gotten a second one. Is that okay?

Periods are SO weird. Since you just started it may be suuuper irregular for a bit. Give it time. If more months pass, then it might be time to ask the doctor. But i think youll be perfectly fine Smile xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by spacemadness on 2/21/2012 6:24:34 PM

Mod mod mod!!!!! So I ve had my period for 7 months.and pads are so uncomfortable and feel like a diaper. And I really want to try tampons. I don't have my period onow but I should in 6 days. So how should I ask my mom if I can try tampons???? Thanks so much Smile

Repeat after me: "Mom can i try tampons?" Its that easy. I promise. Your mom isnt going to yell at you. Youre a young lady with your period, you should be able to use tampons. Good luck. xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by Tayincali on 2/21/2012 6:17:55 PM

Aw...I love my coffee too much, but I will limit it and drink milk a lot.

by Aislinn120 on 2/21/2012 5:48:55 PM

This is a great tip!!! I'm so gonna try this!(:

by *MusicGirl16* on 2/20/2012 6:29:48 PM

MODMODMODMODMODMOD
I tried my fist light tampon yesterday, got it in all the way, it was full when i took it out and it felt like i was ripping my guts out! like agonziing! I tried 4 other times and all the other times hurt, too. Should i try another brand? Like playtex sport? HELP? Why did it hurt?

It is normal for it to hurt, especially for younger girls. It hurts because you have to pull it out through all the inner shapings of your vagina which are not exactly made for foreign objects like tampons. Just keep at it and eventually your body will get used to it.
Amanda P.

by futurewriter16 on 2/20/2012 3:04:15 PM

by Princess Keziyah on 2/20/2012 12:15:01 PM

I aqm in charge of writing a play for drama club, but i have one littler problem...
WRITERS BLOCK!!!!
Do you have any tips to get my creativity flowing or any ideas on what would make a good play???? Please help!
Also I just want to say thanks for all the advice you've given me and all the other girls. You guys help SO MUCH!!!!

Hey girl! Even the best writers have trouble creating content at time. Sometimes, the best way to think of a storyline is to stop thinking about it so much. When I redirect my focus on something else, a great idea will come to me. You can also try writing in a different environment--try going to a local park or bookstore, if you normally write at home. Find a place that is inspiring for you...it might even be the mall! You can also use real-life instances to help spark an idea. Every good play needs some action, so try to include a twist at the end!

Colleen K.

by lemonade.mouth.luver on 2/20/2012 12:10:03 PM

MODMODMOD I was on swim team last summer and I liked it. But I don't think I want to do it this year. I could barely do anything fun last summer because of it: I had to wake up super early every day, I couldn't hang out with my friends or even stay up late, and I really don't want to do it this year. The only problem is my parents were really happy when I did it last year. Now I'm scared that they're gonna be really disappointed when I tell them. What should I do?

Hey girl! Swim team is a major commitment, so it's understandable that you missed having free time last summer. If you don't want to do it again this summer, I would suggest talking to your parents about it sooner than later. What's your plan for the summer instead? I would write them a letter with a thought-out plan for the months that you are off. Will you be doing any camps or volunteer work? Maybe make a basic outline for the months of June, July, and August so that your parents see that you won't waste the entire three months sleeping in and watching TV!

Colleen K.

by Sammy4457 on 2/20/2012 11:57:24 AM

Talk about Whatever you want. Just need to vent? Need advice? Just want to laugh? We're here. No one will judge you or what you say. Anybody who wants to give advice can. Just come and Talk girls!
Go to club "Whatever" on my profile!♥

by swimmerchic96 on 2/20/2012 11:47:53 AM

1. Say your name 10 times.
2. Say your mom's name 5 times.
3. Say your crush's name 3 times.

by Callie620 on 2/20/2012 10:47:03 AM

I do get in a grumpy mood, but that's the least of my concerns with aunt flo. I always feel HORIBBLE all around. Does anyone have any suggestions to help make it a little less painful?

by gkellio on 2/20/2012 10:40:56 AM

I don't drink ANY caffine EVER. I drink lots of milk, take tween vitamens and Ibuprophen but I stil get cramps and really bad mood swings. Thanks!

Hey girlie,

These are just some things that could factor into bad PMS - sometimes they don't apply to everybody! Make sure you're getting plenty of rest, drinking lots of water, and venting about your emotions in a journal before you let them blow up and hurt a friend/family member. And try talking to your doctor since your cramps and mood swings are really severe. He/She could have some great other tips to calm down your bod and mind during that time of the month Smile

by DreamSinger on 2/19/2012 12:58:53 PM

i do all of that but still get major mood swings! oh well..

by SuperSquirrel on 2/19/2012 12:51:26 PM

mod mod mod mod!
ok so im having guy probs! i think im starting to fall for my bgf and he called me beautiful! is that a good sign? hes also like i think ur sexy, but not in a weird way Smile i really am having trouble with my feelings! help!!!!

Hey girlie,

That's definitely a good sign! It means he's attracted to you and flirty enough that he wanted to compliment you for it. It might feel confusing to like your BGF "like that," since you're so close to him as friends, but it's totally normal! I promise, it happens a lot. Try to see where your chemistry takes you and it'll all work out the way it's meant to be. <3

by dojhallow97 on 2/19/2012 12:32:51 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
what is a good beginners tampon? something that doesn't hurt and is easy to put in and take out. also, how long are you supposed to keep it in for, like can you keep it in for a full 8 hours, or is it better to only keep it in for 4-6 hours?

Hey babe,

I used Tampax Pearl light tampons as my first ones. Their applicator is really smooth (plastic not cardboard) so it glides in easier. And since they're light, they're smaller so you can get the hang of it! You can totally keep the tampon in for the full 8 hours (like if you're sleeping), but I usually change mine every 6 because of my flow. You kinda have to pay attention to your body and keep in mind how heavy your period gets, what day you're on, what size tampon you're using (Light, Regular, Super), or if the tampon's string is starting to get a little red/brown, which means the tampon is full. There's no real science to it - you just sorta have to use them and figure out what schedule works for you Smile P.S. It might be helpful to also wear a pantyliner for your first few times, just in case your timing is off. That way, if the tampon leaks because you've left it in too long, you don't have to worry about getting your underwear dirty!

by guitargirl7321 on 2/19/2012 12:13:14 PM

MODMODMODMODMODMODMODMODMOMOD
I just inserted my first lite tampon, and when it took it out, it was kinda full but it HURT SO BAD! Is it supposed to be like that? So i put in a new one and i can feel it now when i sit. I was afraid to push it in any father cuz i thought the applicator would get stuck...can it? HELP!

Hey girl,

It's TOTALLY normal to feel sore or even a little bit of pain when you take your tampon out for the first few times. Your bod has to adjust to letting something pass through there - like you said, a used tampon is bigger than a new one so your muscles just have to get used to it! But they will and before long, you won't feel any pain at all Smile And you'll be able to work up to Regular and Super tampons too, as time passes. PROMISE! Keep trying!

And no, the applicator can't get stuck! You need to push the tube in as far as you can (basically so it goes all the way into the applicator), then use the grips to pull the whole thing out. The tampon knows to stay inside - be firm and go for it! You'll get the hang of it. And when the tampon is inserted correctly, you won't even be able to feel it <3

by futurewriter16 on 2/19/2012 11:42:53 AM

***MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD***

I'm going to the mall. What should I wear? And how should I do my hair? My hair is just past my shoulders. Smile thanks!

by txtingirl on 2/19/2012 10:02:25 AM

OMG I hate PMS! Nuff'. Said. :-P

by katgrace11 on 2/19/2012 9:43:07 AM

i dont drink a lot of caffine and i do drink a lot of milk. so ill just keep that up then and i will be less moody. i have a friend that is verrrryyyy moody and she has caffine all the time!

by esk8 on 2/19/2012 8:56:33 AM

That works!!! I always run or play some sport when I'm on Aunt Flo ...

by hockeygirl1999 on 2/19/2012 8:42:35 AM