4 HOURS AGO Bust out a brand new you! How, you may ask? We have all the answers right here!: http://t.co/hC70M42weR

5 HOURS AGO Who run the world? Girls (& tampons)!: http://t.co/sF2jsA3yCU

5 HOURS AGO RT @Amber_Montana: Thanks for including me in your magazine this month @girlslifemag! pic.twitter.com/i536Du2w8k

COMMENTS

GL's top 10 spring break beauty essentials

All your beauty needs for your week of fun in the sun.

I could definitely use the oil-free sunscreen. I break out so easily, I get berated for it.

by peppercyndaquil13 on 8/13/2012 6:52:49 PM

mod mod! Laughing I have a tannish skin/medium, black hair with faded blond streaks (originally bronze haha) my eyes are brown what makeup would look best on me?
btw: next year i may b getting dark red streaks for my hair what will match that?
thankies!~

Hey Chica,

You definitely don't need any specific make-up. It's fun to always mix it up. If you're looking for everyday stuff, I would go neutral. Try a light blush, some bronzer, dark brown eyeliner and black mascara. If you want to mix it up, try adding some shimmery gold eye shadow or a light olive green.

Marisa D.

by SteffyS on 5/29/2012 3:12:41 PM

I love that Deborah Lippman nail polish!

by fashionfreak101 on 5/13/2012 11:29:23 AM

Modmodmodmodmodmodmodmodmodmodmod!!!
I have pale, fair, freckled skin, blue/green/grey eyes, and blond hair with natural strawberry blond and a couple auburn highlights and brown roots. I also have a heart shaped face and high cheekbones and a strong jaw line. What makeup would look good on me?

Hey girl! It sounds like you already are gorg! Try a gold shadow if you want your eyes to stand out and apply a bronzer to highlight your cheekbones! Add a pretty peach gloss to your lips and your good to go! When you're bored on a Sunday, try different makeup techniques to see what you like and what makes you feel confident. You don't need a lot of makeup to let your beauty shine!

Colleen K.

by sweetpea185 on 4/25/2012 1:51:26 AM

MODMODMOD What are some great hairstyles/haircuts for heartshaped faces? I have really long, brown hair and my bangs are starting to grow out.

Hey girlie,

According to this article with advice from a hair professional, heart-shaped gals are lucky.. because they can pull off ANY haircut! So if you've been thinking about side-swept bangs, layers, a bob, or whatever, go for it! Smile

Lauren C.

by Blushing-Beauty on 4/18/2012 6:35:45 PM

MOD MOD i'm medium skin color. what make up would look good one me.

Hey girl! Light Shimmery Golds will look good on almost anyone and is safe for everyday wear. Also, purples are good for evenings and especially dances.
Ana D.

by soccerlover97_n on 4/17/2012 7:10:51 AM

I despise makeup. I actually wrote a paper on why makeup is unhealthy for young girls. And the weirdest thing about that-my mom really wants me to! It's so odd. She almost dragged me to Claire's to get my ears pierced but I refused. I'm just like that. But I'm falling in love with mango body butter...<3 I should probably stop typing I talk wayyyyy too much.

Join my club, Victorious Lovers!!! It's about the show Victorious and fun facts about it. We talk about almost everything under the sun, and if you have a dilemma, we can help you! But mostly, the club is centered around the Nick show. Please join

by Lilylunapotter13 on 4/8/2012 8:47:28 PM

ModModMod
i really want to wear makeup. i dont mean like black eyeshadow or any thing, i mean some mascara and concealer to cover up my acne and maybe some face powder.My mom wont let me wear it and all my friends do. I really want to wear it so how do i convince my mom?

Helen S.

by radiolovergirl on 4/6/2012 6:07:08 PM

MOD!
Okay so please help. I like all this kind of stuff but I need cheap ideas for makeup that are still good. Is there such a thing, and if there are what are they? Thanks so much I love GL!

Hey girlie,

"You get what you pay for" is usually always true when it comes to makeup. The cheapest stuff, aka $1 nail polish or lipstick, usually smells, looks, and lasts like you expect. Try looking for coupons or "Buy One, Get One" sales at your local drugstores. If you have makeup stores like Ulta in your area, they always send out advertisements with coupons in them too! We're not saying to splurge on a $400 bottle of perfume... just that sometimes, you shouldn't totally skimp. I love L'Oreal, Cover Girl, NYX, and Maybelline because they aren't TOO pricey but still great quality! <3
Lauren C.

by daddyzlilgurl on 4/5/2012 6:50:29 PM

Hey! If u like comn up with creative crafts, neat ways to add on buttons to tops, like to keep ur hands busy tryn out new kinds of braids, or like mixn up ur own beauty join DIY Divas!! Please Join Smile

by <3basketball on 4/3/2012 6:46:05 PM

MOD: I don't even wear makeup and I'm 12...is that bad?

No way, that's not bad at all! It's your personal choice whether you're going to wear makeup or not Smile Don't feel any pressure either way!
Lauren C.

by IFiRULEDtheWORLD on 3/29/2012 7:25:30 PM

Hi TeamAlice33!
I would try Bath and Body Works, because they normally have pretty good quality stuff. I hope this helps you!

by Katiew on 3/26/2012 7:29:15 PM

Hi guitargirl7321
For your first question:
I had the same problem and I tried all sorts of whitening toothpastes, but Crest whitening toothpaste worked the best for me.
2: I would go for a dark peach, but not a light peach
3: idk about that product- so I can't help you there!

These are just my recommendations, I hope this helps!

by Katiew on 3/26/2012 7:26:56 PM

Hey Nikkichic
To answer your question- I normally use tinted moisturizer on my face for school, because it makes you look like you have a tan depending on what tone of skin you have and what shade of tinted moisturizer you get. To make it look like you have a tan, get one that is close to your skin color, but a little darker and apply just to your face to make your face look tan. And it is not oily at all! But it's just for your face. I am not the expert but, that's what I recommend. I hope this helped!!!!! Smile

by Katiew on 3/26/2012 7:21:18 PM

MOD is there a difference between a curling iron and a curling wand? I want one but I want to know the difference first.

Hey girl,

I think a curling wand tends to have a smaller barrel and is typically used for making waves rather than tight curls, but either will work!

Meghan D.

by actress12345 on 3/24/2012 10:49:52 AM

I have the mango body butter, its AWESOME!! it smells great and works really good to!! Laughing

by honeycakes on 3/20/2012 3:19:37 PM

OMG,im a swimmer, and i always wear waterproof mascara. LOL, a girl that i sswim with NEVER wears water proof (RACOON!)

by ColosalMascara on 3/20/2012 6:35:30 AM

What about eye shadow??!! That's like a major biggie for me. Eye shadow is the most important makeup for me!
(Besides blush)

by TravelCrazyChic2012 on 3/20/2012 6:20:27 AM

I want the gloss, mascara, and spray soooooooo bad!!!

by joelcourtneysuper8 on 3/19/2012 4:41:25 PM

I rely on gloss and bronzer! My lips are a natural red and usually look like I am trying to hard when really it is my lips natural color! I find using a pink gloss really helps me and my lips! I also feel my skin is quite pale, a couple swipes of bronzer on my cheek bones look great! Although at Target I bought a bronzer and it is mismatching, I hate it because sometimes it is way to dark for my skin leaving it looking un-natural and I need to take it off and swipe it on even paler! Just a tip for you chicas about bronzers!!!

by BabyDahl13 on 3/18/2012 10:45:44 AM

Moderator!
When was the new issues released? I never got mine!

Hey girl,

The new issue is April/May 2012, so you should receive your issue by the end of March Smile
Lauren C.

by Kikikim8 on 3/17/2012 11:18:48 PM

Are you addicted to the Hunger Games? Join my club!

by atalkingturtle on 3/17/2012 10:53:15 PM

MODMODMOD
Ok. First off all, do you know of any cheaper coral lip glosses? I dont paticularly want to spend 4 weeks of allowance on one lip gloss. Also, the only person I go shopping with is my mom who is always telling me one of three things. 1) Hurry up. 2) You dont need that 3) didnt you just buy something like that not that long ago. How should I tell her that i really want to start buying stuff like this but that I'm going to need her help and patience?

Hey girlie,

Check out Bare Escentuals coral lip gloss or Forever 21's coral lip gloss if you want a low cost option Smile As for shopping with mom, try to be calm and mature when you're shopping in the store (even if she does say something like "you don't need that" - calmly say, "I'll think about it. I think I could use it" to stick up for yourself). Another good tip is to ask her in advance if you'll have a certain time limit for the shopping trip. If she says she has to be home in an hour, respect that and try not to stop to look at every little thing. Ask her opinion on stuff you're really considering, but also chat about more than just the shopping trip - talk about school, your friends, her work, etc. Make it more about growing closer as mom/daughter than about spending money! It'll be more enjoyable for both of you!
Lauren C.

by ZeusSister on 3/17/2012 10:49:44 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!
I love doing my nails so I was wondering if you know any cool nail designs I can try or websites. Thanks!

Hey girlie,

Stay tuned all this month - each day, we'll have a poll on the right side of the page asking you to choose your fave nail art project. Then, after you vote, you can check out how-tos for BOTH styles! Smile Every day we'll have new ones, so I'm sure you'll get tons of ideas!
Lauren C.

by kayla9 on 3/17/2012 10:03:38 PM

***MOD***MOD***MOD***
I am trying to start a book club but I'm having problems gathering members. Do you have any suggestions? Also, I'm trying to decide on the first book. I want it to be something that could have a creative discussion and also something that people will enjoy for they continue to be part of the club. Also, I don't want it to be something that everyone has read like The Hunger Games. I was considering Breakfast at Tiffany's or The Book Thief. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hey babe,

Try getting your friends on board first! Give flyers to clubs who might have members who'd like to be involved (newspaper, yearbook, and other creative clubs). The whole point of a book club is to share your love of reading with other people who love it too so, even if it's just a group of three of you, that's a great start! Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of my personal favorite books, so I say definitely start with that Smile you could even watch the movie after you finish it, discuss the themes, read another of Truman Capote's books, etc. Good luck!!
Lauren C.

by crazyshortie13 on 3/17/2012 9:45:47 PM

MODMODMOD
So I am ordering a new swimsuit, and I kinda want to get a bikini. The only problem is..how do I ask my mom? Because I don't think she will let me get one, but everyone else wears them and I want one.
And besides that, what kind of swimsuit is flattering on a small chest? Thanks

Take a look here for bikinis for smaller chested gals:

To convince your Mom, you'll have to have a conversation with her responsibly.  You cannot yell or give her attitude or you'll never get what you want.  Pull up some bikinis that are more conservative that you like, so she'll see you're not opting for those skimpy types, and get more comfortable with the idea. Jordan S.

by horsie9000 on 3/17/2012 6:22:53 PM

The lip gloss, mascara, and nail polish are so expensive!

by ♥purplexing♥ on 3/17/2012 6:18:24 PM

DO YOU REMEMBER WE WERE SITTING THERE BY THE WATER, YOU PUT YOUR ARMS AROUND ME FOR THE FIRST TIME
Recognize those lyrics from Mine? Then you are a Swiftie! Join my club, Swifties<3, and meet other girls who love Taylor as much as you do! Hope to see you there! Smile

by Peace*Love*Converse on 3/17/2012 6:15:53 PM

MOD
HiSmile I was just wondering if you had any trips on eliminating frizz from your hair? My hair gets frizzy within an hour after doing it, and i have tried EVERYTHING from deep conditioners to frizz control serums. nothing seems to work!
Thank you, Happy Saint Patricks Day<3

Ask your hairdresser! They work with hair quite often and should know yours well if you've gone to them again and again. Jordan S.

by swim_chick101 on 3/17/2012 6:14:43 PM

Ross has some awesome summer clothes...me and my mom are planning to go summer shoppng!

by portiabh1 on 3/17/2012 5:39:53 PM

Hey, girls. Need advice fast? Head to my advice queens page for fast advice that will really work! Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. Head there now!

by Fly1213 on 3/17/2012 5:35:06 PM

Hey romanticbookworm13, head to Delias, Forever21, Wet Seal, Garage, Target, Charlotte Russe and Llus.com formsome cute white dresses. You could get a spaghetti strap style or short sleeve style dress. I'm sure those stores will have some great options. For hair try something light and float. You could soft curls, a low side braid, twist the front of your hair, or throw it into a messy bun. For makeup try mascara, black eyeliner, a soft eyeshadow maybe nude or a pale pink and a shiny lipgloss. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Mod Mod: I need a white dress for 8th grade graduation and it can't be strapless or too short. I really want to look cute but appropriate. Also, I need some hair ideas and makeup ideas. I know it is almost four months away but it takes me a while to figure out hair and makeup. Also, I'm kinda of thin-ish with smallish hips and I'm a little bit on the big side chest-wise. but I'm self-conscious of my stomach, which I'm working on so hopefully it will be flatter by then, so I don't want anything too tight there, if that helps a little. Thanks! ~Emily Lynae P.

by romanticbookworm13 on 3/17/2012 3:36:57 PM

Hey New_York_City, here are a list of natural self tanners: Aveda Sun Source, Kiss My Face Instant Sunless Tanner, Alba Botanical Golden Tan and Nature Gate has some good tanners. Hope these help! Xoxo

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!
What is a good self tanner that is all natural and organic? Because the Jergens one, is not healthy! It has sulfates and parabens, etc. So, what is one that ACTUALLY IS natural that works? Lynae P.

by New_York_City on 3/17/2012 3:12:29 PM

Hey smilewhenyouresad, make a list of all the things you need. Include style and color and write it down. So when you go shopping you won't get distracted. And get your sister to make sure you don't start buying unnecessary things. Hope this helps! Xoxo

MOD! MOD!
I'm going on a vacation over spring break with my sister, and we plan to do some shopping. I want to get some cute new clothes as well as beauty supplies for spring. The problem is whenever I go shopping i can never make decisions, and usually end up buying something i never where, while wishing i had the item I'd left at the store. How do I make sure I make the right choice? Thanks! Lynae P.

by smilewhenyoursad on 3/17/2012 2:47:03 PM

OMG LOVE the nail polish and lip gloss <3

by stylecrazy503 on 3/17/2012 2:35:50 PM

Can't wait to go shopping!! Im goin to the beach & def needed some tips of wat 2 bring. I'll prob have to change some of the things on the list tho cuz some of that stuff is like 20 bucks!!

by <3basketball on 3/17/2012 1:33:31 PM

MOD MOD! Where are some good places to buy lip gloss that taste like strawberry or cherry or pink lemonade or cotton candy, etc?

Hey girl,

Try Bonne Bell and Lipsmackers -- they have tons of flavors like those and are available at drugstores!

Meghan D.

by TeamAlice33 on 3/17/2012 12:54:07 PM

Does anybody else notice that the grand total of these "essentials" is $117?

by §♥greyson_chance♥§ on 3/17/2012 12:28:02 PM

hi! i have a few questions:
1. i really love the look of red lips, but i don't have perfectly white teeth, so whats a good and preferably cheap kind of teeth whitening strips?
2. i have olive skin, brown eyes, and brown ?hair, what are good lip colors to try out for spring/summer
3. and can you use the jergen's tanning lotion on your face? i have kind of oily skin and its somewhat sensitive, so would it be a bad idea to put it on my face?
Thanks!! and sorry its so long Smile

Hey girl,

The good news is that red lipstick actually makes teeth look whiter! If you don't want to shell out for whitestrips, brush your teeth with a whitening toothpaste 2 or 3 times a day and use a whitening mouthwash, too! With olive skin a deep lip color (ie. not pale pink) would probably be better, but if you go to a makeup counter or beauty store and ask the employees they will be able to see you in person and help you find a perfect shade! I would use a facial self tanner for your face to be safe, but I'm not sure about that product specifically!

Meghan D.

by guitargirl7321 on 3/17/2012 12:11:21 PM

alright...ten things I can add to my list for packing for Palm Springs which isn't even in the beach. Hoorah...

by HelenaPS on 3/17/2012 11:51:06 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
IS it true that getting tan from the sun is bad for you? In the spring/summer I always get really tan just from being outside, I can't help it, and i just really hope it's not bad for my skin! thanks!

Hey girl,

The sun's rays can harm you if you're outside, but the good news is that sunscreen will keep you safe! Just make sure you reapply as directed and you should be fine!

Meghan D.

by karasinski on 3/17/2012 10:46:54 AM

AWESOME! Laughing

by *GingerForev* on 3/17/2012 10:01:25 AM

I have the Jergens stuff and it works GREAT!! if you are looking for mermaid nail polish try OPI Pirates of the Carribean collection!!!

by Payton K on 3/17/2012 8:42:14 AM

My spring break isn't even spring break!! we just have a couple of days of for Easter!! But i'm totally using this for vacations this summer!! Laughing

by random_mockingjay25 on 3/17/2012 8:21:16 AM

Mod!
Okay so i'm just wondering how I get a natural tan without using any kind of oil or a fake tan or anything. And no tanning beds. strict, absolute no on that one. ;) also- whenever I get a sunburn, it eventually fades to a tan that sticks for awhile. is this the only way to get a natural tan? :/

Hey girl,

You probably want to stick with a gradual, self-tanning lotion -- it's a lot easier to use than oil and isn't harmful to your skin. Getting a sunburn may turn into a tan, but that's super dangerous since the sun is giving you harmful UV rays! Suntans from the sun aren't safe and can cause wrinkles later, so stick with self-tanning body products.

Meghan D.

by Nikichic on 3/17/2012 3:45:59 AM

I need MOST of these products for spring break!

by amileofroses on 3/17/2012 1:01:54 AM