10 HOURS AGO Do you think smoking is a big deal? http://t.co/wRmpH82b03

13 HOURS AGO 5 ways to remix your salad routine: http://t.co/ritxTtorOn

14 HOURS AGO 5 furry friends you need to follow on Instagram ASAP: http://t.co/PVxAb5RkaE

COMMENTS

Don't panic! What to do when you're freakin' out

Learn to think your way out of any surprise scenario…

My Uncle just told me he has a very far stage of cancer and there is nothing doctors can do and that he is dying, how do I cope?
P.S. I'm crying massive tears right now!

Hey girl,

I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle, I can only imagine what you and your family are going through. Because we wish you and your family the best, it's important that you speak with a trusted adult--maybe a family member who understands how you're feeling, or a teacher, guidance counselor or doctor. They'll be able to show you professional ways to cope and will listen to you explain how you're feeling. It will help to talk to someone in person! And try to talk to your uncle or spend time with him if you can. For more resources, check out this link: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx.
Meghan D.

by RCACsquad670 on 12/31/2012 8:40:31 PM

Well I am spending the weekend with my family because we found out a few weeks ago that my grandfather has brain cancer. Thats all everyone's talking about and that's not surprising, but everyone is really sad and crying and my grandma is so sad and I wasn't really accepting it until now. But I feel like I should be more upset. Is it a bad thing that I'm not as upset as everyone else? I'm sad and I love my grandpa to death, but I haven't cried and I feel heartless for it. I don't know what to do!

by Sunny79 on 9/8/2012 8:42:41 PM

mod mod mod!!
my life is falling apart. my great gramma is in the hospital with a problem with her lungs and is probably gunna die very soon and my grampa has stomach cancer...my mom is my rock and to see her so upset and crying all the time is horrible for me...is there anything i could do to make her a little more uplifted and positive?? thnxx

Hey! I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through, that must be so hard. Give your mom lots of hugs and tell her you love her. she may have to be sad for a while, that's how the grieving process works, so just try to be supportive and understanding if she's upset. and remember, it's ok for you to cry too. I'm sending good thoughts your way, girl!

Helen S.

by luvinlife12 on 8/20/2012 8:35:58 PM

Hey hifroyo, if you introduce him to your dad, he might change his mind. Maybe after school when your dad picks you up, bring him with you so they can see each other. Tell your dad you two are just friends and won't do anything too mature. Hope this helps! Xoxo

MODMODMOD
to start off im 11 there is this guy at school who i like and he makes it obvious that he likes me back. we have the same interests and he looks like niall from one direction.SCORE!!!! the thing is my dad wont let me date and i would completely lose his trust if i did and he found out. i know im young but if he asks me out hes sweet enough to agree to only hand holding and hugging. kissing can wait a while. the reason my dad wont let me date is cuz my sister got pregnant at 16 but he should know i wouldnt turn out like that cuz my catholic school teaches us more about that. i really like this guy and i dont want to leave him hangin. what should i do?!?!!?? Lynae P.

by hifroyo on 8/18/2012 5:13:17 AM

Hey girl, I'm very sorry to hear this. Please tell your mom ASAP, your friend may be mad at first, but he will appreciate it in the long run.  This is a serious matter and you can be very helpful.  If you don't want to tell your mom, please tell a trusted adult.  You can also trying calling the number at NINELINE.org it is anonymous and your call will not go on the phone bill. xxoo
Maggie P.

by albi on 8/2/2012 1:03:20 PM

Im a competitive diver and its really a lot of stress and i just cant take it anymore. Everything they expect us to do is so scary and to be quite honest I HATE IT. But my parents still think I love it because im too scared to tell them i dont since i quit gymnastics a while back. I dont want to dissapoint them, but i find myself dreading waking up in the morning because I have practice and crying when I get home from all the stress. Not to mention the fact the older kids i dive with drink and do bad stuff all the time and a college kid came back to dive with us during summer pushed my 13 year old friend (whos a girl!) off the diving board and cussed her out. I cant stand it there but I dont know what to do. Please help me! Thanks.

Hey chica!  If you hate diving, your parents are going to understand why you want to quit.  Tell them what you told me and I'm sure they'll be on your side.  No parent wants their child to do something they hate! If diving has a season, your parents may want you to stick it out til the end of the season, so you'll have to deal with the older divers.  Sometimes, older kids forget what it's like to be 13 and forget how their actions affect younger girls.  Just try to avoid them, and don't partake in their drinking or anything else you feel uncomfortable with.  Good luck! xoxo

Kate G.

by alyssadiver on 7/10/2012 1:06:09 AM

MODMODMOD
I guess to start off, my friend who lives out of state and I are going to a camp together that is way out of my state. Well, we were. I was talking to her last night and she said she suddenly couldn't go because of some financial problems. That really sucked, and I can't withdraw from the camp because it's too late. The thing is I've never gone without her and I'm scared of being alone. It's a good camp and I'm pretty sure they'll be nice people there, but I don't know. I just don't want to be a loner and have no one to hang out with. It's really bumming me out and I'm not quite sure what to do. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Hey girl! I'm sorry about your friend Frown it's super important to be a good friend to her right now because I'm sure she's just as bummed as you are.  As for camp, consider this a new chance to make some new friends!  Make the most of it and I'm sure you'll make a bunch of new friends who have things in common with you.  A lot of people probably won't know anyone, so you'll be in the same boat.  Have fun! xxoo
Maggie P.

by maddiescar97 on 6/26/2012 3:12:18 PM

Mod mod mod!!
For the past three or so months I've been freaking out and having huge panic attacks about every single little thing wrong about me. I go crazy if I even get a scratch or if my head even starts to hurt just a little, if I have a slight stomach ache I jump to the worst possible thing that could be wrong, etc. I think I'm developing something along the lines of hypochondria, because I can never stop thinking about stuff that could be wrong with my health. I'm 13 and I have a line of different cancers in my family. I cannot stop thinking about illnesses and it's really driving me crazy but I have no idea what to do and I'd really like to fix this, but I have no idea how. What do you think could be wrong with my mental state and how can I fix myself from thinking this way???

Hey girl,

It sounds like you should get some pro advice from a doctor, your guidance counselor or your parents. They deserve to know what's going on in your life! And if you get stressed, relax and take a deep breath, because it's all going to be okay in the end Smile

Meghan D.

by kaleidoscope_eyes on 6/8/2012 10:51:04 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD I had spinal fusion on june 7 2011 because i had scoliosis when i had surgery they put a titanium rod over my spine to keep it from curving.the problem is that i do gymnastics and i had to start back at level one and i cant do backwards or forward rolls or basically anything that requires curving your backi just CANT and it SUCKS what should i do about it???nobody will help!

Hey girl!

I am so sorry to hear about your scoliosis troubles! You sound like you've taken your situation in stride and that's something we can all admire. While it totally stinks that you can't do certain gymnastics moves, I think you should keep at it. If you love it, continue doing as much as you can. Maybe you can also find another sport or hobby that you love just as much and doesn't require so much bending of your back. Good luck!
Rachael A.

by hawii12328 on 6/8/2012 1:55:45 AM

Mod Mod Mod...
Alright,so my sister is going on a huge trip and she has to pay for it all.She is working for my parents and their company while getting some money by doing chores because she has to pay them back(they already payed for it all).My parents business is getting a little slow so my dad is working like 24/7.He is super tired and usually a little cranky when he comes home.He also gets really mad at my sister because she goes over her texting limits.So like at least once a week it is my sister with either my mom or dad or both fighting and yelling at each other.I don't really want to talk to them because they would just yell at me or get mad.A couple days ago my dad said at dinner that 'he works to pay the bill and that we(myself, mom, and sister) need to work some too'.Im only 13 and my dad gets super stressed about it all.I have a good amount of money myself and I know I need to do chores but he wants me to like work like a job for them too.My sister didn't when at 13.Help!

Hey babe,

Your parents are probably just super stressed and overwhelmed right now. Try doing chores without being asked to, and doing a little extra around the house so that he doesn't have to worry about that stuff in addition to his own work. Have a talk with your dad (or your mom, if that's easier) when he's in a calmer mood and just explain to him that you will do a better job of keeping on top of your chores. If he says that he wants you to work for his company, ask what you would need to do. It might be something easy that you can contribute. If it sounds like too much, explain to him that you don't have the time for a job right now but that you're willing to help with any additional projects at home!
Kelly G.