25 MINUTES AGO Forget whatcha heard! Gingers do, indeed, have souls: http://t.co/00mxgpFRev

AN HOUR AGO Is Lauren from @FifthHarmony chick secretly dating a member of @TheVampsband? http://t.co/YDLnDrNTIm #harmonizers

2 HOURS AGO Serious question, girl... WHY ARE YOU STILL SINGLE? http://t.co/dJowf9GVWE

COMMENTS

Israel bans underweight models

See ya, super skinny standards!

Sorry to say this, but this post is insulting. Everybody has a different body type, and some people are just naturally underweight. I've been underweight almost my whole life, and it's more taxing than people think (still shopping in the kids clothing section, having to eat every hour, not being able to swap clothes with friends, everybody assuming you're anorexic, etc). People should be accepting of all body types.

by iloveballet&singing on 1/1/2013 12:54:45 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
My counselor told me to tell my mom about my anorexia. I really don't want to tell her and I don't want to stress her out or anything. Please help. What should I say?

Hey Girl, your Mom will be worried, but she will definitely be glad that you told her so she can help you. Just when you are one on one, tell her how you are going through a rough time and you need her help, and maybe you will need to see a professional. Remember she might hear it from the guidance counselor too, and she would much rather have you tell her.

Hannah H.

Hannah H.

by Sarah_12 on 11/27/2012 2:34:25 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm about to leave to go to my counsellor (I have anorexia) and my mom told me to eat something before I go there. She won't let me leave till I eat something but I really don't want to. I told her I don't want to eat. My mom doesn't know I have an eating disorder, I haven't told her yet. She thinks I'm going there for homework help.

Hey girl, first of all, I give you a lot of credit for getting help on your own and realizing you have a problem. As for getting out of the house without eating, tell your mom you're running late but grab something to eat with you (it can be something small like an apple or banana). Take it to your counselor and have her make sure you eat it. Getting over this illness means not shying away from food or your mother's ultimatum.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by Sarah_12 on 11/26/2012 7:20:34 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
Also adding on to my previous question:
I just realized I haven't gotten my period for the last 2 months. I guess I didn't have time to with my eating disorder and stuff. Is this normal? I read somewhere that weight loss can delay your period.

Yeah I would guess that your weight is helping cause the delay. No worries. Smile

Lynae P.

by Sarah_12 on 11/26/2012 12:23:11 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
For the past two days I've been going to this counsellor lady for my eating disorder. She gave me "homework" to do, I'm supposed to write down what I think about food. Kinda like a brainstorming sheet. But I don't know what to write! I don't really think about food. :/

Hey Sarah_12, I would write that you don't think about it. Honesty is really important with this homework, so be honest and write down how you feel nothing. I'm sure she'll discuss it with you in your next meeting. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by Sarah_12 on 11/25/2012 11:38:44 PM

YAY!!
Go Israel! That is a very smart law, I really think we should have it here in the US. I must clap its totally genius! Smile

by glamartist on 9/17/2012 7:50:40 PM

I like that law

by KatieBell23 on 7/2/2012 4:30:18 PM

I definitely think the US should do what Israel is doing!!! It's a great idea!!!! The media has been such a big influence to girls as to how we should look and being underweight isn't the way to go. Healthy is better and the media should show that!!!! Go Israel!!!

by depacdancer1104 on 4/19/2012 2:39:48 PM

This should happen in America too. We all should love who we are no matter what, but we should see a lot more models in ads and commercials that are a little on the pudgy side(please do not take that as an insult, I too, am on the pudgy side). Everyone is perfect the way they are. But when all you see are little itty bitty models it makes people lose self-esteem.

by caitwon on 4/17/2012 6:25:10 AM

THANK. THE. LORD.

by 3m2016 on 4/16/2012 6:43:42 PM

Yay! I tottaly support this law. I hate how girls think skinny is better, Last year, Selena Gomez fainted because she wasn't eating to look skinny.

by bass2001 on 4/16/2012 4:02:18 PM

YES!!U.S. should adopt this law too!!

by rainbowsparkle98 on 4/12/2012 9:18:34 PM

Hey, we should start a petition or something for a law like Isreal's that bans unnaturally skinny models on the runways and in ads! Wouldn't that be so cool if Girls' Life started making petitions for its readers to send to their indiviual local/ state governments?? The power of our natural U.S. citizen rights is inspiring!

by OceanWavez on 4/11/2012 9:15:02 PM

- To all those girls out there
It doesn't matter if you're overweight or underweight. I think what matters is that you are eating a good, mixed amount of fruit, veggies, meat, dairy, protien - and sugar. Believe it or not, your body DOES need sugar, it DOES need carbs, it DOES need meat - just not too much. If you're just looking for ways to cut tiny calories think -Do I really need juice - why can't I get water? Do I NEED junk on my taco? Do I have to have salad dressing on my salad? Make popcorn the old fashioned way - who says it can't be good on a stove top and being able to hear it pop- pop - pop???Hope this helped, girlies!!!

by Sarah510 on 4/11/2012 8:59:12 PM

Yes!!! It would totally change our society for the better.

by unicornninja on 4/11/2012 8:41:26 PM

Go Israel! The USA needs to adopt this b/c some girls have really bad self-esteem b/c of ads...

by ninabeanaboo on 4/9/2012 7:14:39 PM

I think this is a really good law! And yes, the U.S. should adopt one like it.

by supersingershannon on 4/9/2012 5:52:57 PM

good for Israel! We should be doing the same thing. No wonder average people get teased about their weight!

by luvmonkey1313 on 4/9/2012 3:12:57 PM

I totally agree with banning UNHEALTHY models. However BMI is the wrong thing to use. I do ballet and according to BMI, I'm underweight but I'm totally healthy. They should focus on how healthy the models are. I love the idea of not having people who are going to extreme measures to be thin be allowed to model. It's important to set the right example to young girls

by BalletGirl0116 on 4/8/2012 9:22:16 PM

I agree with stargirl12345. If the United States Government made put this law in affect here I think it would make a big difference in today's society. Look at all the celebrities trying to look cute or pretty by being skinny, when really they look like they have an eating disease like anorexia. Too bad we as U.S citizens can't make this into a national vote. I wish we could.

by sissis1430 on 4/8/2012 6:22:41 PM

Dude! Uhh, Yeah!

by XxUTookMahFonexX on 4/7/2012 4:52:58 PM

I tottaly agree with this ban! And it would be a great thing if the US would pass this law too!

by tigergirl218 on 4/6/2012 4:52:48 PM

YESSSSS!!!! The US should totally ban this

by hdancerdog on 4/6/2012 12:56:38 PM

HI GIRLS! I have a club called E.D.S, Eating Disorder Support. If you or a friend has an eating disorder, definitely join my club to recieve helpful advice from other girls going through the same things as you. We can get through this together. <3

by Dancinggirl1414 on 4/6/2012 12:36:48 AM

Yes, the U.S. should adopt this law! Also, some of my best friends are from Israel Smile But this a very good law Smile

by stargirl12345 on 4/5/2012 11:52:40 PM

What should I do about people like you guys? I have a BMI of 13.5, but I was born underweight and always will be. Seeing all these "healthy" campaigns makes me feel like I should be overeating sometimes, but that's unhealthy. What's a healthy weight for one person isn't healthy for everyone. Reading this article made me cry, and sometimes I feel so self-conscious about my weight. I'm asking one more question after quitting GL for your constant articles about this. I feel like a freak. What should I do?

Hey girl,

We're not saying that being skinny is a bad thing. We're saying that girls who AREN'T naturally thin shouldn't feel pressure to get skinny in unhealthy ways. You might not realize it because you've always been skinny, but there are girls out there who are literally killing themselves trying to get thin. They aren't eating, they're working out past their body's limits, they're taking dangerous diet pills and laxatives, etc. Basically, they're destroying their bodies. This law in Israel isn't discriminating against naturally thin people - it's trying to promote respect for your body and healthy choices, no matter what size you are. No job, hot guy, mean girl or pretty dress is worth starving yourself to look better. And on the flip side, it's ok to be naturally thin too! You shouldn't feel like a freak, as long as you eat healthy, well-balanced meals full of fruits, veggies, lean meats, and other important food groups and get exercise a little each day. It's not the weight that matters - but unfortunately, some girls push themselves to get SO thin that they destroy their bodies in the process <3 That's what this article (and others like it) is about.
Lauren C.

by hra215 on 4/5/2012 10:37:38 PM

While I understand why naturally underwieght girls could be offended by this, I think you are overlooking one important detail from this article. A DOCTOR must state that the model in question is of a healthy wieght and BMI. If you are just naturally skinny, the doctor will acknowledge that and take it into account. If you aren't it will be obvious to them, so they can weed out those who are practicing unhealthy habits. And also, to guitargirl7321, that comment you made about plus size models was highly uncalled for. A) A plus size model can't just eat crap because then they would gain serious weight, as wel as the fact that thier skin would not be in good shape and they just wouldn't be as, for a lack of a better word, "pretty". B) A plus size model is actually closer to the healthier sizes than most regular models because they are usually sizes 8-12, and a regular model is usually sizes 0-3, which unless the wearer is naturally thin, have been deemed as unhealthy sizes.

by youngjedi123 on 4/5/2012 10:23:57 PM

Oh my gosh!! we had to do an ABC book in my literacy class and this one girl did one about eating disorders and my teacher goes "yea sometimes girls are pressured to look a certain way because of society" and then this guy in my class goes "that's because girls should look a certain way." all the girls gave him this look and my teacher goes " i'm pretty sure you're not at the top of the 'to date list'..." it was sooo funny but it showed him up!! Laughing

by random_mockingjay25 on 4/5/2012 10:17:59 PM

OMG! LOVE THIS LAW! IT MAKES ME FEEL SO GOOD RIGHT NOW TO KNOW THAT BECAUSE NOW THEY CAN ACTUALLY HIRE WOMEN WHO LOOK JUsT LIKE YOU, NOT AN UNDERWEIGHT, UNHEALTHY WOMAN THAT MAKES YOU FEEL BAD ABOUT YOURSELF. THANKS ISRAEL!

by glitterstars456 on 4/5/2012 10:05:44 PM

The U.S should really adopt this law. Many girls are self concious about their bodies and compare themselves to the super skinny fashion models. It doesn/t really help when a n overweight girl hopes to be big in the fashion industry... By adopting this law, girls will see that they are beautiful they way thay are and no body is built the same.

by babygirl1265 on 4/5/2012 9:55:50 PM

It's bad to be underweight, but it's bad to be overweight too. Don't be dissing just on the skinny girls. I'm underweight and I eat like a pig. Some people can't help that they're naturally skinny. If obese people are proud of their "curves", can't I be proud of my bones? Or am I supposed to feel bad that I'm not curvy? That kills MY self-esteem.

by raininghippos on 4/5/2012 9:52:45 PM

Mod..
Lauren C.
did you put _ for my weight or was that me? thanks..

Yes I edited your comment and removed your weight. Most mods don't like to approve comments with height/weight stats in them because it makes it too tempting for girls to compare themselves. And it doesn't matter what other people weigh - it matters how you treat your body!
Lauren C.

by LoveHappens on 4/5/2012 9:29:36 PM

u.s. should so get this law!!!!!

by Milkdog64 on 4/5/2012 9:17:35 PM

@natalyc none of those ladies are ugly therefore calling them 'ugly skeletons' is a little uncalled.
personally i think GL should stop high-fiving these types of things because it does hurt a lot of people. You basically could've just said, "hey all you naturally skinny girls, go out and eat a hamburger because it's not right to be that skinny". Me and so many other girls look like these models not because we want to, it's just how we naturally are, bones and all. Also it would be morally wrong to to ban super overweight models on runways because it's RUDE! So why ban the skinny girls. Just saying

by Doee13 on 4/5/2012 8:55:18 PM

rafidoggie- anyone with a BMI below 18.5 is under the normal range and therefore unhealthy. I'm not saying that they are banning the normal sized models, I was saying that if their going to ban the unhealthy extremely underweight models that glorify the eating disorder-filled life that they should also ban the extremely overweight models that make it seem okay to be 300 pounds when your supposed to be half of that.

by guitargirl7321 on 4/5/2012 8:52:00 PM

MOD MOD MOD...
i feel fat all the time..
i suck in while im in the mirror.. telling myself i want to look like this.
i miss my bones. i want to see them again. i used to be able to.. but not as much anymore.
my legs are huge.
im not happy with myself and the way i look.
even with makeup .. nothing.
im 12.. 13 in may.
7th grade __ pounds.
everyone tells me im too skinny...
but i dont see it...
is there something wrong with me..?

Hey girl,

We've all been there, but an obsession with your weight is NOT healthy and can lead to bad things. Please please read this article for tips on being healthy, thinking positive, and loving your body. Don't gloss over that advice to chat with a counselor or trusted adult about what you're feeling, either. If you have questions about weight, talking to your doctor can be the BEST resource! The most important thing is to remember what the article says: There will always be people who are taller, skinnier, whatever. But if you take care of your body, eat right, exercise, talk about these thoughts and treat yourself with confidence and respect - then you will love yourself! <3
Lauren C.

by LoveHappens on 4/5/2012 8:48:45 PM

great idea!!!
Models can be a lil more realistic now

by colorqueen101 on 4/5/2012 7:59:53 PM

We need that law!!!

by coldplay12 on 4/5/2012 7:46:45 PM

GL isn't saying that skinny is bad, they're saying that some of the models starve themselves and don't eat, therefore making the teenagers and young women that around the models influenced to be like them, or they are like 'outcasts' or 'uncool' because they don't have the straving skinny body of those around them.... Just saying....

by buzzingbee on 4/5/2012 7:36:38 PM

This is really great. This will boost the young girls in Isreal's self-esteem. I second this!

by katgrace11 on 4/5/2012 7:36:26 PM

Heck yeah. That is great!!!! Laughing

Please join my club, Live Life: Happy! We have daily tips on how to live life happily and weekly tricks on how to have a positive outlook on life. When we have 25 members, I will pick treasurer! Smile

by future_artist on 4/5/2012 6:35:28 PM

To me their is difference between naturally skinny and trying to BE skinny. Being naturally skinny is something us girls can't change...its just how we were made and hereditary. While on the other hand, trying to be skinny on purpose is VERY unhealthy, which is practically commercial models are doing today. I believe those models that are trying to become skinny just to fit in those size 00 jeans or that extra small bikini is just ridiculous. Beauty is in everyone...and you don't have to prove it by changing your looks or weight. So in my opinion, yes, the United States should get this law. I'm pretty sure the government can tell the difference when someone is naturally skinny or they have been dieting for the past few weeks. Being skinny on purpose is not everything...being yourself and keeping a good weight/diet has better benefits.

by MusicTaughtMeHowToLive on 4/5/2012 6:30:01 PM

I totally agree with livvirox12. I've always been naturally really skinny, and I've always tried to eat well and exercise a lot. Though I've never tried to put myself on a diet or anything like that! My doctor says that I am perfectly healthy, even though all BMI calculators say I'm underweight. But it all depends on your body type and frame. Someone my same height might weigh 50 lb more than me and still be perfectly healthy! In the end, I'm still really glad they passed this law and I hope the U.S. considers doing something like this in the future.

by RowanK on 4/5/2012 6:07:55 PM

TOTES! WE NEED THAT LAW!

by THawesome! on 4/5/2012 6:04:18 PM

OMG i am so happy! this is such a coincidence cuz my sis told me her friend was going to send a picture with a girl looking at herself in the mirror. the reflection was herself looking a good weight and healthy and happy. but the person looking at the reflection was anorexic. she was going to send it to a magizine telling them this is what you are doing to poeple

by owlzrock on 4/5/2012 5:43:15 PM

great? so they'll ban unhealthy overweight models too?

by svds on 4/5/2012 5:40:52 PM

Now how about the US! Anyone want to 2nd that Smile

by oreolover123 on 4/5/2012 5:30:28 PM

guitargirl7321, It's not that Israel is banning models who don't fit the normal weight. They are banning models with a BMI of under 18.5 (not a range, just a minimum), and this is to prevent the spread of eating disorders in models and those who view the ads, not to be unfair to the models.

by rafidoggie on 4/5/2012 5:18:39 PM

i think models should be declared healthy by a doctor before they model, not necessarily a normal weight, just a healthy weight.

by luve2cheer on 4/5/2012 4:49:03 PM

I'm glad they past that law. Most people develop eating disorders after realizing how under weight and skinny the models are =(

by music191 on 4/5/2012 4:36:23 PM

I'm not saying that banning the models is bad, because i think it would be great for many girls out there. But just because a girl is underweight doesn't mean she's unhealthy, or that there's something wrong w/her. I've been underweight my whole life but i'm perfectly fine and healthy. how are the girls who can't help being underweight supposed to feel now?

by livvirox12 on 4/5/2012 4:33:35 PM

i love this ban!! the u.s should adopt it to because now girls wont look at models and think "wow why cant i be that skinny?" when girls think like that it usually makes then do crazy things to lose weight and get that skinny.this ban will help girls feel good about their natural beauty and body!

by SKYRIM78 on 4/5/2012 4:12:19 PM

what about the 300 lb "plus size" models?? although it isn't healthy to be anorexic, it isn't healthy to shove mcdonalds down your throat either. i think that if they are banning skinny models they should ban fat ones too, models should just be NORMAL sizes (like sizes 3-5 or so)

by guitargirl7321 on 4/5/2012 3:27:02 PM

Yes! Finally, now young women can stop looking at themselfs and say, "Why can't I be as skinny as her??" and go onto eating disorders, depression, ect.

by sunnybubbles on 4/5/2012 2:00:53 PM

I don't think any county should "ban" underweight models. If you are underweight it does not mean you have an eating disorder or body issue's. It just means you were born this way. I think not model's instead of trying to loose weight in an unhealthy way (I.e anorexia, bulimia)to be the "perfect model" will now try to gain weight in unhealthy ways (I.e binge eating.) Putting weight restrictions on any model, whether its because you are to heavy or to underweight is not okay. Embrace every body type, because putting a law on underweight models does not solve the body issues they have.

by wednesday1408 on 4/5/2012 2:00:16 PM

YES. i commend u Israel! See Angie and Demi (Moore), you don't have to be 90 pounds!!!

by soccerlover99 on 4/5/2012 1:49:57 PM

prasie the lord! it is about time! the us should def adopt this law!!! Laughing

by foodiejr99 on 4/5/2012 1:47:58 PM

To all of the comments that say that some girls are skinny because they have a fast metabolism, I'm with you, because I'm really skinny and it's annoying when ppl are like, "Oh you're so SKINNY!" But this law dosn't ban skinny models, it bans UNDERWEIGHT models. There is a big difference. If you are skinny because that's your body type, that's healthy. If you are skinny because you are starving yourself, that's underweight.

by spencer9800 on 4/5/2012 1:20:01 PM

YEAH GO ISREAL!!!!!! we need laws like that. we should not be picturing images of skinny underweight girls. lets think healthy and in shape!!!!

by amileofroses on 4/5/2012 12:59:54 PM

@horsie9000 & @dancingqueen96 - GL isn't saying that being skinny is a bad thing. But a lot of models DO terrible things to themselves to appear to be perfect.
With a fast metabolism, there ARE things that you can do. It may be a medical condition, but there are a lot of things that can be done about it.
And if you want to be a model, GO FOR IT! Smile GL never said that if your slim, then you cannot be a model. It clearly states in many of their articles that you can be a model, actress, celebrity, etc. without going to extraordinary measures to be skinny! <3

I'm sorry, but I'm tired of GL's words being twisted around to say something terrible.

by fungirl123 on 4/5/2012 12:58:26 PM

I love the fact that this is actually a law because im a thick girl and it is hard for me to lose weight because im so lazy

by liagem11 on 4/5/2012 12:51:01 PM

@ dancingqueen96
There is no "ban" on any body type. You are allowed to look however you want, as long as you are trying to put an unhealthy notion out there that the only pretty kind of body is the ridiculously skinny kind. If you were a model in Israel, and you're very skinny, then as long as the doctor said that you were healthy then you would be allowed to model.

by Fly1213 on 4/5/2012 12:38:25 PM

Hey guess what GL! In your mag, whenever it has girls in swim suites. They ALWAYS look super skinny. You're sending mixed messages.

by glass-tears on 4/5/2012 12:37:18 PM

Totally, U.S! HELLO, I am Jewish and I really want to go to Israel. It's good to know some people have good heads on their shoulders in places!

by JewCrewDDMS on 4/5/2012 11:58:12 AM

Yay, I am so happy since I always protested the way in all the magazines they have skinny girls with an unhealthy look. YAAAY!

by radiogirl on 4/5/2012 11:47:31 AM

the united states should pass this law too. so many people are worried about their weight when they shouldn't be. i mean it's not healthy at all.

by musikluvr17 on 4/5/2012 11:27:38 AM

I already knew about this law though, in the tv news

by natalyc on 4/5/2012 11:20:43 AM

Yes I AGREE lol U.S needs to adopt this law as well, not that I'm asking for obese models, just thin models but healthy thin models, not ugly skeletons that make people dislike the brand they are modeling for

by natalyc on 4/5/2012 11:20:12 AM

I <3 this new law! Hats off to Israel, I say! The US should totally adopt this new law! I mean what's not to love? It gives girls different people to model after. Healthy ones, so they don't go starving themselves to look that skinny(trust me I know some of these people! Thank Ra I got them to stop!)

by lavlo on 4/5/2012 10:50:04 AM

THANK YOU!! i love how they r doing this! now it just needs to happen in america! Smile

by susper on 4/5/2012 10:12:51 AM

They need to do this in the U.S. and EVERYWHERE else!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by MadMaddie911 on 4/5/2012 10:08:17 AM

Im so glad to hear this! Girls my age should not be so fixated on being super skinny. Just be who you are, you're gorgeous!

by 2sprinkles2 on 4/5/2012 9:51:37 AM

Yes!!!!!! The U.S. so needs to adopt this law! Could you imagine what it would be like actually seeing healthy girls struttin' their stuff instead of the poor anorexic ones! Laughing so hope we adopt it!!

by physicschick on 4/5/2012 9:39:00 AM

This is sooo great!! And YES the U.S should!!!!

by chick987 on 4/5/2012 9:37:57 AM

YAY! GO ISRAEL! thanks, GL, for putting this out! Smile

by sweettooth825 on 4/5/2012 9:31:04 AM

Yay, first comment!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing but i def think the US needs to create a law like this too. Because isn't America even worse about what teenage girls think of their body image? Something like this could really change the outlook...Smile

by kenzi143 on 4/5/2012 9:11:10 AM

I think that is fair, but in some ways, not so. Some girls (like me) happen to be naturally very slim, but healthy. What happens if we want to be models? Just a thought

by horsie9000 on 4/5/2012 9:10:23 AM

I find it ridiculous to "ban" any body type. I'm tired of people saying that society expects you to be thin- I've seen so many articles on how disgusting it is to be skinny. Have you ever actually seen someone actually say they promote being underweight? I'm glad I'm not an Israeli model, because I'm what a doctor would consider underweight, not because I'm anorexic, not because the media pressured me to be that way, but because I have a fast metabolism and there is really nothing I can do about it. Its a medical condition and I didnt choose it. GL should know that all body types are beautiful- yes, even super skinny.

by dancingqueen96 on 4/5/2012 8:55:16 AM

this is the best thing I ever saw! Israel is the best for that law!!! Laughing

by jerseybatgirl on 4/5/2012 8:49:46 AM

I love you, Israel!!!!! And yea i hope that U.S. adopts this law...except our fashion industry wouldn't like it one bit

by BBMarie on 4/5/2012 7:26:04 AM

by LilyBS123 on 4/5/2012 4:52:06 AM

This is a great idea. And yeah U.S govt should do the same. I 100% support it Smile

by rawraerin on 4/5/2012 1:31:25 AM

Yep I think the u.s. should have that law too! I get it some people are naturally skinny but like you said, the models are sending a bad message!!

Join Cupcakes 101! At this club i post weekly recipes on desserts!! Cupcakes 101 is also where you can share recipes/tips on desserts or any other type of food! Also join Club KD for advice on just about anything!!! You get advice from several people with different perspectives!!! Oooh and join my fave advice/tip club How To Live!! Me and the pres of the club post tips almost everyday!! Join all of these today!!

by Cupcake_queen_101_ on 4/5/2012 1:27:23 AM