2 HOURS AGO Are you and your BFFL too much alike!? Take the #quiz, and see if you're stuck in the clone zone: http://t.co/BpmROLyNcN

3 HOURS AGO Sneak a peek at your future in this week's horoscopes: http://t.co/9XlQA9FGQg

4 HOURS AGO Celebs aren't the only ones who can get away with tights and shorts: http://t.co/MGug4WMOI1

COMMENTS

The truth about big-name diets

How they work and whether or not you should try one.

Mod mod mod mod
Hey ): I have tried to lose weight by doing everything. Here's the thing. I'm busy ALL the time, I love food, and I have really bad confidence problems/ I'm crazy self conscious. I don't want to go anorexic either. But it seems like thats the only thing left to do )': please give me some advice on what to do. I really want to lose weight. I'm tired of being self conscience and fat.

Hey girlie,

Anorexia is NOT the answer here! You just need to make some small changes and ease into a healthier lifestyle. Think of how good you'll feel about yourself if you know you're taking care of your body, exercising, and eating right! Talk about busting bad self-esteem - and it's actually been scientifically proven that exercise can make you feel happier. Totally worth it! Take even 30 minutes out of your day to go for a brisk walk, bike ride, do a kickboxing DVD, play soccer with friends, etc. If you're too busy and feeling overwhelmed, think about cutting back on your responsibilities to make time for yourself. It's important that you treat yourself well and don't let your own health get lost in the mix! As for loving food, you shouldn't cut out all the treats from your diet - just limit how often you have them. Instead of eating 5 Oreos every night, save them for one or two nights a week and only eat 1 or 2. Skip the junk food and fast food - instead, have more fruits and veggies, fill up on tasty treats like yogurt and oatmeal... and you'll feel better!
Lauren C.

by *kailey* on 4/14/2012 10:13:21 PM

Hey girls! Want to lose weight? Want to get fit and tone up? Well look no more! Join my new club called...get fit NOW! And we are all about getting fit And losing weight! So join today!

by bubbles3956 on 4/14/2012 10:07:18 PM

im 9 years old and im about (edited by mod) pounds is that average?

Hey girl,

If you have any questions about weight and what is "normal" for your age/height, you should chat with your doctor! Mods aren't qualified to judge if you're at a healthy weight, but your doctor is trained and can be trusted with that info! <3
Lauren C.

by smileygirl555 on 4/14/2012 9:48:09 PM

Hey, I just want to say that all these girls on here trying to lose weight really should NOT even think about it unless your doctor tells you that you should lose weight. I personally have a lot of friends who have eating disorders and I've seen how ruining they can be in teenage girls' lives. Focus on being HEALTHY not SKINNY. Anyway, it just really upsets me when GL has articles about dieting and losing weight. Can you please work on less "losing weight" articles?

Hey babe,

Our articles aren't necessary directed at losing weight in that manner.  We focus more on maintaining a healthy body, and if being healthy requires you to lose weight, then we feature articles for that.

Thanks for the input! We'll definitely keep it in mind.

Jordan S.

by rosierose5 on 4/14/2012 3:06:37 PM

HEY mods sorry but i have another question! please answer QUICK!
ok so i starting a new weight loss plan to lose around 12 pounds. so i am doing 3/4 days of cardio and 2/3 days of strentgh with one rest day. so my question is that i want to use 3-4 pound weights to tone my arms on strenghth training days but i willl need some weights. my mom doesnt know that i am doing this whole fitness plan (she only knows that i wanna be healthy) so what do i say if i wanna buy these weights without her saying that i dont need to lose weight, blah blah, even though i am close to being very overweight according to my bmi.
PS. my mom is losing weight too because she is overweight so if that helps...PPS. sorry for being sooo long!
Thanks

Hey bubbles3956, just tell her it's apart of your being more healthy plan, because it is. Let her know the weights are helping you get in shape, and since she's trying to loose weight too, you guys could both use them. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by bubbles3956 on 4/14/2012 10:49:45 AM

I don't know how to keep up with stuff i have so much homework and chores that I it is hard to put in exerizing in my routine.What should I do?
P.S(I am eating portions and eating fruit and veggies but it is hard to get into exerizing.)

Hey girl,

It's always hard to find time to exercise, but it's so important for your health, so try to get in a habit of exercising regularly! If you're swamped after school, try going for a walk or jog in the morning before you leave. If you've got a break between an extracurricular and when you get home, even 30 minutes of cardio after school will do wonders for your health. Weekends are also a great time to exercise since you'll have more time and less homework, so find a time that works for you and stick with it! Exercise is much easier on a regular schedule, so if you build that habit now it will really help you in the long run.

Meghan D.

by kittycute67 on 4/13/2012 10:52:31 PM

Thanks Helen! I think i will try 3 pound weights because i already have 2 lb. weights and they aren't challenging me enough! again, thanks!

hey! you're welcome Smile

Helen S.

by bubbles3956 on 4/13/2012 8:45:38 PM

MODD!
i know i should not try to meet a deadline i just have a bad habit of putting things off if i dont set a date, so i didnt set an exact date. can you please answer my other questions about the weights and the rest day because i really need answers!

hey! 4 pound weights might be a little much, maybe 2 pounds each? As long as you stick to your exercise routine long term, you will definitely see results. good luck!

Helen S.

by bubbles3956 on 4/13/2012 8:35:51 PM

MOD MOD MOD! I need your help!
so starting this week i am trying to lose weight. I want to lose around 12 pounds by the end of summer. i am doing 3/4 days of cardio excerice (like running and biking) and 2/3 days of strenghth training (pushups and stuff) . so my questions are how much should my weights weigh? i was thinking about two 4 pound weights. or maybe a medicine ball. also do you think i will get results is i use this excerice plan, a healthy diet, and allow one day of rest? or do you think i will only tone up my legs and arms a little. also, if i allow myself one rest day a week will i still get good results? sorry its so long and thanks ahead of time!

hey! don't think about dropping pounds to meet a deadline. instead focus on having a healthy lifestyle year round with moderate exercise and a balanced diet. You may not drop weight in two weeks, but that's the way to maintain the right weight for your body. at girl's life we promote the idea that a healthy you is the most beautiful you there is. http://www.girlslife.com/category/health-and-fitness.aspx

Helen S.

by bubbles3956 on 4/13/2012 8:26:52 PM

MOD MOD MOD (lauren C.)
Hey, so i'm rlly upset there was a lot of things to do today homework and stuff...and i feel like i'm gonna explode. Here's my problem i have a twin sis we're rly close we luv eachother i mean ive known her longer than ANYBODY in the world...anyways shes better than me at EVERYTHING... like on tests she has to do better than me even by just a point i feel like theres no excuse to not be better i mean were TWINS! she doesn't have to work out to be skinny...she sleeps early and wakes up early...and she sometimes puts me down like i get distracted easily and so she finishes her homework before me, also if i ask her a question she sometimes thinks i'm dumb i'm not dumb i have a 3.8 GPA (big surprise she has a 3.95)....this rlly gets to me...were supposed to be the same i mean WERE TWINS for crying out loud! also..like if she takes say a math test before me and gets an 18/20 if i get less i get upset its like my goal to get 18 not higher....plz help!

hey! Sorry, I'm not lauren, but I'll do my best to help ya Smile I know this is hard, being twins you guys get compared all the time, but you have GOT to stop comparing yourself to your sister. The more you distinguish yourself as an individual, the  less your happiness will depend on doing better than her. good luck!

Helen S.