1 HOURS AGO RT @danimitchell3: #ootd #GLfashbash #fashbash Thanks Girl Life Magazine for the comfy shirt!!! #backtoschool @girlslifemag http://t.co/Wwopic.twitter.com/WwoPqWxTcW

1 HOURS AGO Consider these braces myths busted: http://t.co/OeysYpfhsF

2 HOURS AGO The problem with #feminism: http://t.co/KVSIiYGCrd

COMMENTS

What really happens during a pelvic exam?

Stop freaking out! Here are the facts…

Hey. I'm new here and i just wanna say that i love your advice.So here's my story;

All of my friends have started their periods and they always ask me if i started mine yet. i told half of them Yes and the other half No. But the thing is, both stories are true.
I started my period when i was 10 in August. my mom found out and told me everything that i needed to know(cramps, changing, pads, etc.).
I was expecting to get it again in September.But it never came! i didn't tell my mom though. i didn't get it again until the next year in late July! i thought it would go back to normal but it didn't because i didn't have it since then.I'm 13 now so,that was about 2 years ago.

So, my questions are:
1.) I always told my doctor and mom that I've been having a regular period, which i haven't.I was so scared that something was wrong with me, like cancer or something.Was that a bad thing to do and should i tell them the truth?
2.) Due to my unregulated period, should i get a pelvic exam?

by Sparksfly on 7/17/2012 10:52:17 PM

MOD

Thanks so much Carrie R.!

by Moira1999 on 7/12/2012 5:04:25 AM

I have 2 questions:
1. A few days ago I noticed a small bump on the outside of my labia, and I tried to squeeze it like a pimple. It worked and now it's not there any more. Is it possible that it was a pimple?
2. One of my labias is twice the size of the other, and a the end it is a bit grey. Is it normal that it's bigger than the other? And is that greyness from being dry or something more serious? What can I do about it? I really don't want to talk to my mom or go to a doctor. I've never had my period before, I do have discharge a lot since about 2 years ago. Please, help me!

Hey chica, unless you have pain or itching coming from down there, it's normal for them to look a little weird. Don't worry about it unless you get more symptoms, and then you might wanna consider seeing a doctor.
Carrie R.

by Moira1999 on 7/11/2012 2:43:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!!
I'm 13 and (weight omitted by mod) lbs. I'm 5 feet 1.5 inches tall. I don't know if I'm fat or not. I think I'm fat but all my friends say I'm super skinny. I eat healthy and exercise daily.

Hey girlie,

The only person who can tell you if you're an average weight, overweight, or if you need to lose weight is your DOCTOR. Not your friends or society or even yourself. If you have questions or concerns, talk to your doctor and be totally honest with him/her. It might feel awkward at first, but they've heard everything and they're professionals - so they're qualified to tell you what to do <3
Lauren C.

by taylorswiftlover101 on 7/10/2012 10:43:01 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm 12 and I weigh 119 lbs. and I'm 5 ft 2 in. I have to wear a skirt to school and I'm afraid I look big. I have sort of large hips and I'm not fat but I feel fat. What should I do? I'm finally gonna be in a class with my crush. Please help!

Hey girl!

You are NOT fat! You're at a healthy weight for your body, so you should be proud of that. Since everyone has to wear a skirt to school, there's no reason to be self-conscious. If it's a uniform skirt that you can't change, wear other accessories with it that will draw attention away from it.
Rachael A.

by leb1199 on 7/9/2012 12:56:15 PM

Please Help! I'm going to a gynecologist soon cuz I have some period problems and my doc is a male! I'm 18 years old so I have to get a pap smear. I looked up pelvic exams online and I notice that my doctor will have to stick his fingers up my vagina and butt. My friend has the same doctor and she went last and she said that it was really uncomfortable and that he gave her some shots on her butt. I talked to my mom and she says to just listen to him, but having a male doc examine my vagina is weird. I dont know what to do!

Hey girl, its honestly not a big deal at all. I had my first one at 19 and was really scared. But its not a big deal at all. Its just a quick swab up there and then you're all done! While you're there, just take deep breaths and don't think about it. He's a real doctor, who is good at his job, or else he wouldn't be doing what he does! You'll be okay, I promise.

lauren r.

by NinaBieberSwag on 7/6/2012 5:54:36 PM

what is a pap smear???

by buddy1689 on 7/6/2012 3:27:18 PM

This sounds kind of scary and uncomfortable, but really it's not. Smile My mom took me to a gynecologist when I thought I had a yeast infection and I was kind of scared, because I wasn't really sure what was going to happen, and I didn't want anyone looking "down there". She was really nice though, and all she did was ask a few questions and had a look. She also took a swab too, and it really didn't hurt at all. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, honestly. I felt at ease the whole time! There's nothing to worry about when it comes to exams like this Smile

by barenziah97 on 7/4/2012 3:27:45 PM

I'm 13 and I'm kinda confused on the whole sexual activity thing. Is it having you know what or what? Totally confused...

by ilovedance12 on 7/1/2012 12:13:24 AM

MOD MOD!
Hey I have 2 quick questions!
1.do u always get spotting before your period?
2. How long do u have symptoms of ur period(like cramps pmsing etc.)before u get it ( besides discharge I know u get that for at least 6 months before)?
Thanks so much please respond soon! Smile

Hey girl, symptoms vary for every person. You'll get your period when your bod is ready! If you want to know about your specific symptoms, it never hurts to ask a doc Smile
Meghan D.