8 HOURS AGO How to obtain the perfect set of brows: http://t.co/HlXQKzJAuF

12 HOURS AGO The best ways to save our skin from that awful sunburn! http://t.co/Coe1hz7em8

13 HOURS AGO Real girls tell us how we can deal with food allergies! http://t.co/u9c0AX6l6C

COMMENTS

What really happens during a pelvic exam?

Stop freaking out! Here are the facts…

im going to do that exam and I got a guy doctor and I feel very uncomfortable and my mom wanted to change but they said that it wasn't possible to do that wat should I do?
please answer asap

Hey girlie, I understand why having a guy doctor for this might not be very appealing to you. But you just have to remember that it's his job. You're just another patient to him and he's seen it all before.

Lauren T.

by shyfamimi21 on 7/21/2013 12:59:07 AM

Hey girl, I wouldn't worry about that...it's completely normal!
lauren r.

by roxizzy on 3/2/2013 2:43:21 AM

Even if we have a female doctor is there ever the chance of her having a male assistant??? I wouldnt like that.

And for guys they also get checked down there but its different. I dont think they need to get checked before becoming sexually active or obviously when it comes to birth control but a guy friend once mentioned he had a female doctor, so I guess they have to deal with embarrassing stuff to.

by fashionqn on 1/17/2013 11:46:56 PM

I went to the doctor before and they had to do this but my mom got me a female doctor (i did NOT want my guy doctor to do it) and it wasn't very scary and it was super easy and she was really nice! (this doesn't relate at all but she had super cute flats on just saying) There really isn't anything to be afraid of!

by cupcakecutie325 on 1/3/2013 4:24:36 PM

Mod
I went to the docs before but they onley checked down there but not my boobs is this normal!!?? Awsner ASAP

Hey Savannah728, yes I think that's fine. As long as they didn't do anything inappopriate it's fine. No worries Smile

Lynae P.

by Savannah278 on 11/8/2012 9:29:07 PM

do guys do this too?

Hey girlie,

Nope, we don't have any male mods but on some articles we do turn to guys for answers.

Jordan S.

by yorkielover88 on 10/30/2012 5:05:51 PM

mod mod mod mod mod mod mod mod
Im going to the gyno tomorrow, and im really scared, because i've never been before. Does it hurt? What do they actually do? And since its monday tomorrow (well where i live it is) im skipping the middle of the school day. Im really scared that the boys in my classes are gonna know

Hey girl,

It's normal to be nervous on your first visit to a gyno, but there's really nothing to worry about -- they're professionals! This post does a great job at outlining what will happen, and they will talk to you and explain what's going on every step of the way. Also, just because you leave school during the day doesn't mean they'll know where you are -- even if they know you're going to the doctor, they don't have to know what type of doctor it is! Check out this post for more info, and relax! It will be fine, and soon you'll think of it like any other doctor visit! http://www.girlslife.com/post/2009/06/23/Gynowhat.aspx

by Sarah_12 on 9/16/2012 12:26:53 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
Help!!! Im really scared. My mom told me (like 5 mins ago) that she scheduled an appointment with the gynecologist, tomorrow to make sure that everything 'down there' is healthy and normal. She said she scheduled it a long time ago, but she 'forgot' to tell me. What do they do? Does it hurt? And do they actually have to touch u down there? Im scared!

Hey girlie, I remember my first trip, and I was terrified too. But it doesn't hurt. The equipment that they use is cold and slightly uncomfortable, but I can promise you there won't be any pain. They won't always do a pelvic exam so I can't tell you that with certainty. If you have any questions about your period or anything else down there that you've been wondering about, write them down before you go so you don't forget to ask.

Lauren T.

by Sarah_12 on 9/15/2012 3:18:20 PM

I have asked my mom about this and she says its normal but i need to wash better. (i'm so sorry this is super gross) but my underpants have this white liquid on them and it smells like fish! I know its weird and makes no sense but my mom says its nothing to worry about, but still i'm grossed out and scared! Please help!

Hey chica! Don't worry that's completely normal! Check out this article alllllll about what you're talking about! http://www.girlslife.com/post/2010/02/04/period-qa-discharge.aspx

xoxo

Carly S.

by puddinface7 on 8/23/2012 4:36:12 PM

ok so im really sacred of my doc to look anywhere down there or at my boobs it is really scary when my doc wants to look i start to cry! why do docs have to start to give shots in your butt why cant they keep giving u shots in your arm?

Thanks SOOOO much

I dint see my first comment so im posting it again xoxo

by tabithamh on 8/13/2012 1:06:11 PM

Hey Abbydabbers, I think it works a little different for boys, just because their bodies arent like ours. But the doctors for the boys still check to make sure everything is ok and healthy. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Mod mod mod
Do the do this to guys too? Lynae P.

by Abbydabbers on 8/11/2012 3:20:34 PM

I'm kind of confused what a difference between an irregular and a regular period or if I have one, this is kind of stupid and I know I should but I forget to count how many days is between my next period, but my period lasts 4-5 sometimes 6 days is that an irregular period?

Hey chica! An irregular period is when you can't predict when you'll get your periods.  For example, if you get your period a certain number of days apart (counting from the first day of your last period to the first day of the next), then your period is regular.  If you get your period 3 weeks apart one month and then 5 weeks apart the next month and 25 days apart the month after that, then your period is irregular.  It's normal to have an irregular period for the first couple years because your hormones are still a little crazy.  Hope this helps! xoxo

Kate G.

by hinatagal on 8/10/2012 12:22:57 PM

Mod mod mod. Wut is ur thirteen yearold check up like. I'm stressing. Is it like a pelvic exam I am so confused. Help!!!!!

Hey chicky! I answered your question on the other post.  Check my answer out there! xoxo

Kate G.

by rainbow2girl on 8/9/2012 6:15:15 AM

Mod mod mod mod mod. Ok I haven't had my period yet but I'm 13 going into 8th grade. Someone told me u have to get a thirteen year old check up that I haven't got yet. It seems so scary. Will it be anything like a pelvic exam.
I REALLY need answers. Help!!!!!

Hey girl! Unless you are going to a doctor specifically for a pelvic exam, you shouldn't have to get one at your regular check up.  But don't worry if your doc wants to do one- they aren't scary at all.  Most doctors do their best to make sure you feel comfortable if they're doing anything you might be embarrassed about.  xoxo

Kate G.

by rainbow2girl on 8/9/2012 5:18:55 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
ok so i just got my period, and well before that my pee was brownish a few times. Now a while ago i went to the bathroom, and when i wiped some of the blood was brown (and like those little chunks that come out), and im really scared that something is wrong with me.
Sorry this is kind of gross im just really scared

That's 100% normal. As your period goes on, the blood dries up and becomes brown. There is nothing out of the ordinary about things being brown and there being little chunks. That's a natural part of your period. xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by hprincess on 8/4/2012 11:46:54 PM

Swiftyfan16,
Just remember that these doctors have seen A LOT of vaginas and women's bodies. Just BREATHE. Think about how much better you'll feel when ur periods get normal. About 5 minutes of not being comfy at the doctors is worth it cause I'll feel better once ur periods are regular

by swifty#1 on 8/4/2012 10:08:11 PM

My aunt and mom are pressuring me to to a doctor to get checked out. My periods are irregular and I've been told birth control straightens that out. I'm really nervous to go to one because that sort of stuff makes me really, really uncomfortable. Any advice on how to relax?

by swiftyfan16 on 8/4/2012 8:58:32 PM

Hey Sarah_12, yes it is normal for periods to be irregular. If it continues to act weird call the doctor and let them know. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Thanks Meghan D, my head doesn't hurt anymore, rest really did help it. My period stopped today. But I only got it two days ago. When I woke up there wasn't even blood in my pad. Is it normal for your period to last only 2 days? Thanks <3 Lynae P.

by Sarah_12 on 8/4/2012 11:46:47 AM

Hey fantastic8805, I just logged on and the mod that was helping you has logged on. If you explain your story to me I can try to give you some advice. Let me know if you still need help. Xoxo

Ok that sounds like a great idea. I think we''ll watch a romance movie Smile thanks so much for your advice Smile And about my friend I'm worried about her. Shes never been like that (sarah_12) before! Do u think shell be ok soon? Lynae P.

by fantastic8805 on 8/4/2012 1:11:21 AM

Hey etsydahlia, since they don't itch and aren't causing any irritation you're probably ok. If they get really large or red then I would contact your doctor. But you sound okay to me girly. Xoxo

Mod,
Is it normal to have little acne-ish bumps on the lapia? They don't itch and they've been there for awhile. Lynae P.

by etsysdahlia on 8/4/2012 1:09:48 AM

Mod mod mod
Ok so I was scheduled for a double date tonight at my friend's house but her head and stomach hurt so she cancelled. I really wanna go out with my BF still though. Where should I go because it's late and I don't think the actual theater is open any more Frown

Hey girl,

Can you and your bf watch a movie at your house or his? It will still be fun and you can make your own snacks!

by fantastic8805 on 8/4/2012 12:42:49 AM

An awkward visit would be to have a male doctor who looks like Brad Pitt do the exam, I wonder how I would deal with that if it ever happened to me. I hope it doesnt.

by fashionqn on 8/4/2012 12:22:24 AM

Mod mod mod
Ok, I'll rest now, thanks for the advice and goodnight (since I'm going to sleep)

by Sarah_12 on 8/4/2012 12:19:55 AM

Hi again,
At first when I started using the heating pad My stomach felt better but my head didnt ( oh sorry If I confused u my friend and I are doing a double date tonight when my BF is coming over and my friend ,fantastic8805 came over with her mum (like I told u) and I told her to post for me because I was lying on my bed with the heating pad on but she didn't realize she was on her account ) anyways..... My head still hurts and I think I should cancel the date tonight but idk because what will I say to my BF if he asks why I cancelled? I can't tell him I have my period.... I'll be soo embarrassed! Frown

Hey girl,

If you tell your bf you're not feeling well, he'll understand! You can always reschedule for another time. Rest might help your head, so try to get some sleep!

by Sarah_12 on 8/4/2012 12:12:46 AM

Mod mod mod....
Ok I asked cause my bff's mum just came because she had to drop of something for my mum I asked her and she said something hot. I am using a heating pad. It's working Smile I think I'll be better by like 11-ish so my BF and I can still watch the movie (at midnight). What should I wear and he might kiss me so how exactly do you use ur tounge cause it didn't say in the article. And how about the nibbling his lips thing? How do I do it gentle enough for it to not hurt? Thanks Smile

Hey girl,

Glad you're feeling better! You should wear whatever you want since you are in your own house, and your bf will like you for who you are! As for kissing, don't rush anything or do something uncomfortable just because you read that. It's different for everyone, and when you're ready you'll find out what's right for you. There's no set tip that can help, because each relationship is special!

by fantastic8805 on 8/3/2012 11:22:30 PM

Mod mod mod
The ice just makes it hurt more! And the it's soo hot here so it melts really fast? Any other tips?
Thanks <3

Hey girl,

If you are in that much pain, try calling your parents or a friend to ask their parents what you should do. Ice is cold, but is does numb headaches and cramps!

by Sarah_12 on 8/3/2012 11:02:13 PM

Mod mod mod mod
Is this unusual?
Okay so I got my first period um 3 years ago when I was 10 but then I didn't get it again till the day after I turned 11. Then I started getting it every month but only for like 3- 4 days each time. When I turned 13 i kept getting it every month but my cycle was never the same. First it was 29 days then it was like 20 then 17? What's happening should I see a doc? And is there any reason why periods get delayed for a couple of weeks cause that happens to me
Thanks Smile

Hey girl,

Irregular periods can be normal when you're starting out, but it never hurts to see a doc to be safe Smile

by fantastic8805 on 8/3/2012 10:57:48 PM

I don't have any medicine here at my house and my rents don't get home till like 10:00 pm (they went to a concert because it's their anniversary) and my head and my lower stomach hurt so much! Help is there any way for them to hurt less without medicine? Thanks Smile

Hey girl,

You are smart to not take medicine without an adult around! Try putting something cold like ice or frozen vegetables to ease the pain.

by Sarah_12 on 8/3/2012 9:44:26 PM

Hi
Smile
So is it normal to have bad cramps and a headache during your first period? Cause I got my first yesterday and I didn't have cramps then, but I do now.... Is that normal? Also how do you relieve cramps (I don't have midol in the house Foot) and headaches?

Hey girl,

Yes, that's normal! And ibuprofen or acetominophen should do the trick, but I would talk to an adult before taking any medicine!

by Sarah_12 on 8/3/2012 8:45:09 PM

So, uh, i was kind of feeling pain kinda down there, and it felt like there was a bruise on the inside of my leg and that area. So i assumed it was from my pants because they were kind of tight. Then later, when I changed pants, i realized it was a red bump, almost like a pimple, so i kinda popped it and it was bleeding a little. Is this normal?
thanks

Hey girl, I'm not a doc so I can't say for sure.  However, it sounds like it could have been a pimple or razor burn - both of which are possible "down there" and are no big deal.  If it continues to be a prob or you get more bumps, check in with a doc.  And as much as you can, avoid picking at it!  xoxo

Marie H.

by pottergirl135 on 7/20/2012 5:40:06 PM

Hey. I'm new here and i just wanna say that i love your advice.So here's my story;

All of my friends have started their periods and they always ask me if i started mine yet. i told half of them Yes and the other half No. But the thing is, both stories are true.
I started my period when i was 10 in August. my mom found out and told me everything that i needed to know(cramps, changing, pads, etc.).
I was expecting to get it again in September.But it never came! i didn't tell my mom though. i didn't get it again until the next year in late July! i thought it would go back to normal but it didn't because i didn't have it since then.I'm 13 now so,that was about 2 years ago.

So, my questions are:
1.) I always told my doctor and mom that I've been having a regular period, which i haven't.I was so scared that something was wrong with me, like cancer or something.Was that a bad thing to do and should i tell them the truth?
2.) Due to my unregulated period, should i get a pelvic exam?

by Sparksfly on 7/17/2012 10:52:17 PM

MOD

Thanks so much Carrie R.!

by Moira1999 on 7/12/2012 5:04:25 AM

I have 2 questions:
1. A few days ago I noticed a small bump on the outside of my labia, and I tried to squeeze it like a pimple. It worked and now it's not there any more. Is it possible that it was a pimple?
2. One of my labias is twice the size of the other, and a the end it is a bit grey. Is it normal that it's bigger than the other? And is that greyness from being dry or something more serious? What can I do about it? I really don't want to talk to my mom or go to a doctor. I've never had my period before, I do have discharge a lot since about 2 years ago. Please, help me!

Hey chica, unless you have pain or itching coming from down there, it's normal for them to look a little weird. Don't worry about it unless you get more symptoms, and then you might wanna consider seeing a doctor.
Carrie R.

by Moira1999 on 7/11/2012 2:43:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!!
I'm 13 and (weight omitted by mod) lbs. I'm 5 feet 1.5 inches tall. I don't know if I'm fat or not. I think I'm fat but all my friends say I'm super skinny. I eat healthy and exercise daily.

Hey girlie,

The only person who can tell you if you're an average weight, overweight, or if you need to lose weight is your DOCTOR. Not your friends or society or even yourself. If you have questions or concerns, talk to your doctor and be totally honest with him/her. It might feel awkward at first, but they've heard everything and they're professionals - so they're qualified to tell you what to do <3
Lauren C.

by taylorswiftlover101 on 7/10/2012 10:43:01 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm 12 and I weigh 119 lbs. and I'm 5 ft 2 in. I have to wear a skirt to school and I'm afraid I look big. I have sort of large hips and I'm not fat but I feel fat. What should I do? I'm finally gonna be in a class with my crush. Please help!

Hey girl!

You are NOT fat! You're at a healthy weight for your body, so you should be proud of that. Since everyone has to wear a skirt to school, there's no reason to be self-conscious. If it's a uniform skirt that you can't change, wear other accessories with it that will draw attention away from it.
Rachael A.

by leb1199 on 7/9/2012 12:56:15 PM

Please Help! I'm going to a gynecologist soon cuz I have some period problems and my doc is a male! I'm 18 years old so I have to get a pap smear. I looked up pelvic exams online and I notice that my doctor will have to stick his fingers up my vagina and butt. My friend has the same doctor and she went last and she said that it was really uncomfortable and that he gave her some shots on her butt. I talked to my mom and she says to just listen to him, but having a male doc examine my vagina is weird. I dont know what to do!

Hey girl, its honestly not a big deal at all. I had my first one at 19 and was really scared. But its not a big deal at all. Its just a quick swab up there and then you're all done! While you're there, just take deep breaths and don't think about it. He's a real doctor, who is good at his job, or else he wouldn't be doing what he does! You'll be okay, I promise.

lauren r.

by NinaBieberSwag on 7/6/2012 5:54:36 PM

what is a pap smear???

by buddy1689 on 7/6/2012 3:27:18 PM

This sounds kind of scary and uncomfortable, but really it's not. Smile My mom took me to a gynecologist when I thought I had a yeast infection and I was kind of scared, because I wasn't really sure what was going to happen, and I didn't want anyone looking "down there". She was really nice though, and all she did was ask a few questions and had a look. She also took a swab too, and it really didn't hurt at all. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, honestly. I felt at ease the whole time! There's nothing to worry about when it comes to exams like this Smile

by barenziah97 on 7/4/2012 3:27:45 PM

I'm 13 and I'm kinda confused on the whole sexual activity thing. Is it having you know what or what? Totally confused...

by ilovedance12 on 7/1/2012 12:13:24 AM

MOD MOD!
Hey I have 2 quick questions!
1.do u always get spotting before your period?
2. How long do u have symptoms of ur period(like cramps pmsing etc.)before u get it ( besides discharge I know u get that for at least 6 months before)?
Thanks so much please respond soon! Smile

Hey girl, symptoms vary for every person. You'll get your period when your bod is ready! If you want to know about your specific symptoms, it never hurts to ask a doc Smile

by 66soccergirl on 6/22/2012 10:50:03 PM

Hey girl,
check out this page and see if it helps:

We
have loads of info on your bod to help ya out!
, Your Blog Patrol Babes

Catherine C.

by Abbydabbers on 6/22/2012 2:21:20 AM

How long do u pms or get symptoms of your period before u actually get it?

by 66soccergirl on 6/20/2012 10:29:39 PM

MOD MOD
I was just wondering if u had any articles on kissing and if so can u please give me a link?
Thanks so much!

Hey girl!

Of course, we've got you covered! Here's a link to our Kissing Crash Course! http://www.girlslife.com/tag/kiss.aspx
Rachael A.

by 66soccergirl on 6/18/2012 1:36:04 AM

MOD MOD
Hi I have a few questions!
1) how often are new articles posted on girlslife
2) after I post this question when and where will I see it?
Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

Hey girlie,

Articles are posted on GL all day, every day! Some days we'll have more than others, but check your fave sections and you'll definitely get to read new articles every few hours throughout the day Smile You'll see your comments right under the article where you posted them - the mods have to approve each comment though before it goes public, so ya gotta be a liiiittle patient for us!
Lauren C.

by 66soccergirl on 6/14/2012 7:22:49 PM

Mod(Carrie)
Thank you do much!!! Ok last question for now! Sorry for all the questions!
I'm going swimming on Friday, and I kinda have pubic hair that sticks out of my swim suit, how do I shave around that area? Because I'm afraid I'll get a rash. Also, do you know anywhere I can get cute swimsuits that have pads in the top, because I'm really flat chested, and I'm only a 00 in jeans, so I still fit in size 10 swimsuits from justice, but there's are expensive and kinda little kidish, any ideas? Thank you so much!

Hey girl, no problem, that's why I'm here. To shave for swimming, just remember to shave in the direction that your hair is growing. Don't shave more than ya need to - just get the edges. Lots of places have padded swimsuits; try Aeropostale or JCPenney.
Carrie R.

by Girlzrock123 on 6/13/2012 2:44:19 PM

Mod(Carrie)
Thanks so much, I was also wondering how do I bring up irregular periods with my doctor? Because usually my mom is in the room, and I don't want her to know that they have been irregular for this long, I dot want her to get mad at me for not telling her. Also I haven't had a physical in 3 years, so I haven't had one since I started my period and my friend said that the physical is really akward, but she hasn't started, so would it be different for me? And she said that the doctor(we have the same one) that he felt of her pulse near her vagina. Is that normal? Thanks Carrie!

Well, babe, your physical shouldn't be much different now that you've gotten your period. The doctor should ask you about it, but that's about it. And if you don't want your mom to be in the room, just ask her to stay in the waiting room when the nurse calls you back. If she protests, tell her that you'll call her if you need her. As for your friend, the doc was probably checking her abdominal health by listening for bowel sounds, palpitating for tenderness, and tapping her abdomen to search for the presence of fluid. No big deal.
Carrie R.

by Girlzrock123 on 6/13/2012 2:26:47 PM

Mod(Carrie)
So, I used nair lotion on my arms, before I went on vacation, because I didn't want to have hairy arms, well the top of my arm, above the elbow, up to my shoulder broke out with acne like stuff. I told my mom & she said wait & see, well it's been 3 weeks & it's still there. I told my mom and she said she would call the doctor, & see if they could put me on something to clear it up. She said they would probably just give me a pill, then she said that if that didn't work we might go to a dermatologist. Then she said that I would NOT get on birth control, well in my opinion I think I need BC, because I seriously need to regulate my periods, since April my cycle lengths have been 15,20, & 14 days long.  But my periods have always been irregular, ever since I started in June of last year, I know that periods can be irregular for the first 2 years, so I didn't think I needed to tell anyone, since im only 14, I don't think my doctor would put me on BC anyway. What should I do?

Hey chica, I had a reaction to Nair when I tried it, too, and I don't know about you, but I decided it wasn't worth the discomfort. Sorry the rash has hung around for so long, though. You should definitely see a dermatologist about that, and in the meantime, maybe try an antihistamine cream like benadryl. As for the birth control, it's a hassle that ya probably don't wanna bother with, especially since your periods should straighten out within the next year. Sounds like your periods are really close together, though, and if you're gettin' them all the time, that could lead to unhealthy blood loss. Check with your doctor just to be sure it isn't something that needs to be fixed.
Carrie R.

by Girlzrock123 on 6/13/2012 2:01:50 PM

Mod? I have a question, will you answer it?

Sure thing, babe. Shoot.
Carrie R.

by Girlzrock123 on 6/13/2012 1:33:08 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!!
I am really sensitive and uncomfortable to doctors and stuff so I don't want to have to go to check-ups or anything like that. Is it possible not to go to doctors for those kinds of things because it just freaks me out and I can't control it. THANX!!!!

Hey girlie,

It's really NOT a smart idea to skip doctors appointments, especially not pelvic exams when you're old enough to need them. Every doctors checkup has a purpose - pelvic exams are used to screen for STDs, cysts, cancer, and other illnesses. These are extremely important!! Personally, my mom was sick and this exam was the reason she caught it early and is still here today. I'll never skip one because I know how lucky we are to be able to visit doctors regularly - and how much of a difference they can make! The best thing to do is ask all the questions you have so you can prepare for what's about to happen (whether it's a pelvic exam, a sports physical, or another type of appointment). Then, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you're helping yourself have a long, healthy, happy life. It's worth a few minutes of being nervous/uncomfy if it means you get to be here longer! Smile
Lauren C.

by ellaquinn2000 on 6/10/2012 10:44:28 AM

MOD MOD MOD,
I am thirteen almost fourteen and I started my period two years ago and it has come when it is supposed to every month, except this month I skipped. I know it is normal to skip when you first start...... But I don't think its normal to skip after like a year or so.....i eat very healthy and all too.....Should I be worried or see a doc?

Hey chicky, it's pretty common to skip a period or two during the first few years after ya first get it. If you miss three or more in a row, then you'll wanna talk to a doctor to make sure everything is okay.
Carrie R.

by gkellio on 6/6/2012 3:46:22 PM

MOD MOD MOD URGENT
Do you have any advice for a first time tampon user? I wasted three this morning trying to figure out how they work... I have an 8th grade graduation tonight and I don't want to use a pad because my dress is tan colored and I'm afraid I'll leak through the pad. HELP!

Hey girl, tampons can be tricky the first time. Make sure you read through all the directions carefully, and if ya still need some explanation, try looking up clearer directions online. Just be patient, and make sure you're using the smallest size available. If you don't get it by tonight, wear a super-absorbant pad, and find lots of excuses to hit the ladies' room.
Carrie R.

by Breezy28 on 6/6/2012 2:00:00 PM

sry but what does mod mean

by smartlovinggirl16 on 6/5/2012 7:57:00 PM

Hey maggie183, that doesn't sound too good. I would tell your mom so she can set up an appointment. It's probably nothing serious but it's safer to get it checked out. Good luck girly! Xoxo

MOD MOD MOD!!!
Ok so I've got a pretty embarrassing problem that I've been to embarrassed to ask my mom about..but now I'm getting really worried somethings wrong with me.
So for about a week my "down there" area has had this constant vibrating/beating feeling...I don't know how else to describe it, but it's SO annoying and I just want it to stop.
Is there something wrong with me?? What is this and when will it stop?
Thanks so much, for answering..I'm really scared. Lynae P.

by maggie183 on 6/5/2012 6:42:53 PM

I am thirteen almost fourteen and I started my period two years ago and it has come when it is supposed to every month, except this month I skipped. I know it is normal to skip when you first start...... But I don't think its normal to skip after like a year or so.....i eat very healthy and all too..... So is this normal? Should I be worried or see a doc? Thanx!

by gkellio on 6/4/2012 11:21:45 PM

MOD MOD MOD,
I have a male doc (ewwww ewwwww ewwww) and I don't have my period but wouldn't a male doc doing it become sex? I think I am close to getting mine thou and what if we are on our period and we are having a heavy flow and we need a pad or tampon, would they let us keep one on? Also I haven't had 'the talk' about sex or period with my mom yet and i'm 11 so what really does happen during sex? (gross Q's I know) Also I think my doc might be a retired sex offender (ewww and scary) because I saw a picture of him in the paper and it said that but I don't think they would let a sex offender be a doc or a gene. Help?!?!?!?!

Hey girl!

First, check out our Health & Fitness section on girlslife.com. We have a whole section on periods that can help answer some of your questions. It seems that you have a lot of serious concerns so I would suggest talking to your mom or a trusted adult about these things. Even though it can be scary and awkward, I think it's time to have "the talk" with your mom. It truly is the best thing you can do for yourself. Equip yourself with as much information as possible; knowledge is power!
Rachael A.

by ArizonaChica on 6/4/2012 6:13:23 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
Two questions, one, what does it mean it can be intimidating? Also does a gyno. Get paid a lot of money for this?

Hey girl,

If you are intimidating, you make other people feel uncomfortable around you. Gynecologists are doctors, so they make a doctors' wage!

by Pinkkatie1999 on 6/1/2012 7:46:37 PM

MOD MOD MODMOMD MOD!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for all the questions but I'm just curious!!
So is it bad to basically shave all the hair on your vagina? Also, what is the best way to shave your vagina? Thanks in advance SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Hey babe,

No, whether or not you decide to shave there is your decision and is entirely safe as long as you clean properly.  My advice would to be to snag a bikini line shaving creme/gel (they're made specifically to prevent ingrown hairs) and you should shave going with the hair, not against it since that will just irriatate your skin.  Also, make sure to moisturize afterward.
Jordan S.

by Jojo1120 on 5/19/2012 5:31:40 PM

************Mod mod mod mod mod mod mod mod mod***************
I have shaved my vagina plenty of times and I still have red dots there? Like shaving rash. What are ways I can prevent it and get rid of them? Also sometimes after I shave it's itchy and then I have to itch itin public and it is embarrassing. What can't do? Thanks in advanceSmileSmileSmile

Hey babe,

Find a bikini line shaving creme/gel (they're made specifically to prevent ingrown hairs) and you should shave going with the hair, not against it since that will just irriatate your skin.  Also, make sure to moisturize afterward.

Your red dots are the aftermath of being to rough on your skin or merely your skin adapting to being shaved there.  As look as you be careful and try out what I just said, you should be fine!

Jordan S.

by Jojo1120 on 5/19/2012 5:13:27 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!
I don't know if you can hide this question or not, HIDDEN!

Hey babe,

It sounds completely normal to me!  Do you have to squat when you run?  If you do, and it still feels uncomfortable, it's likely that you'll get used to it later on.
Jordan S.

by coleypoke22 on 5/12/2012 8:36:15 PM

MODMODMOD

Hey girl,

It sounds like regular doctor stuff, but if you'd be more comfortable seeing someone else, you could ask your parents if you could visit a different doc.

by futurewriter16 on 5/12/2012 11:31:20 AM

MODMODMODMODMODMOD
Sometimes after sitting awhile or even standing, down there gets numb....it doesnt hurt, and it goes away after awhile...but it feels weird....what is this and why is it happening?

Hey girl,

I'm not sure, so you may want to see a doc to see what's up!

by futurewriter16 on 5/12/2012 11:07:54 AM

YAY! My new issue came in!

by Dee_Has_Cookiez on 5/11/2012 3:25:57 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
Is it required to have pelvic exam? Or can it be optional?

It's never required to go to the doctor (although your parents might force you), but it is REALLY REALLY recommended so your doctor can catch life-threatening problems if they happen. But my doctor didn't really give me an option when I got old enough to need a pelvic exam (which, by the way, probably won't happen until you're 18 or even older) - my mom has been sick in the past with issues down there, so it was especially important that I cooperate with what the professionals thought was best. It's REALLY smart to listen to them and trust them, girlie.

Lauren C.

by Fashion designer on 5/10/2012 4:17:10 PM

MODMODMODMODMOD
Is it ok to ask guys about certain guy things?

I ask my guy friends things like that all the time!  That's the best thing about having guy friends, you have a whole bunch more things to talk about. Jordan S.

by futurewriter16 on 5/7/2012 8:02:39 PM

MODMODMODMOD
Is it normal to be curious about the opposite sex and curious about "guy" things?

Hey chica,

It's completely normal!
Jordan S.

by futurewriter16 on 5/7/2012 7:50:39 PM

so you have a ton of junk lying around your house and nothing to do with it. Plus you want some new jewelry without spending a ton. What do you do? Join my club and find out how to turn ordinary stuff around your house into funky and creative jewelry! It's called DIY Green

by kpianoplayer on 5/7/2012 7:31:28 PM

Is it true that you get your period at the same age as your mom? I've been having discharge for over a year,and I always feel (eew) "wet"

Hey babe,

Generally, it is the case that you follow in your mother's footsteps.  However, girls seem to mature a bit more quickly now.  You can ask your mom when she got hers and it would be a pretty good guess as to your own.
Jordan S.

by WhiteStripe3 on 5/7/2012 7:29:01 PM

MOD MOD. What do doctors do in a physical??);

Hey! they weigh you, measure you, take your blood pressure, sometimes they take a finger prick or give you a vaccine. Don't worry, it's over before ya know it Smile

Helen S.

by GOALIEROCK1301 on 5/4/2012 10:30:17 AM

MOD MOD MOD!!! when do you have to get pelvic exams??? right after your first period or a little bit afterward?

Hey girlie,

It's good to see a gynecologist for the first time between the ages of 13 and 15, especially if you've gotten your period or have bod-related questions to ask. But the pelvic exam probably won't need to be done until you're over 18 and/or have been sexually active. Your doc will decide!
Lauren C.

by amileofroses on 5/3/2012 9:32:44 PM

I've went before, because my period was heavy, and I had horrible cramps, but it's not bad at all. I know it;s sounds gross having someone stick something up "down there" but, it's only a tiny bit uncomfortable, and if it hurts just tell your doctor and they will adjust it for u. and remember, they've done this probably like, a billion times before!!!

by swifty#1 on 5/3/2012 8:38:54 PM

ewwww i never want to have to do that!! omg gross!

by fearless;) on 5/3/2012 7:13:30 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!! We seriously gotta go through this type of pain!? Good thing I've got 5 more years, and I don't do sexual actives(THOUGH I HAVE A BF, I KISSED HIM ONCE)<---does tht count??? Also, I have a lady doc,so it will be weird

Hey girlie,

Nope, kissing doesn't count Smile If you have questions about exactly when you should get your first exam, ask your doctor for the details. But trust me - I've had these exams and they DON'T hurt! <3 They feel a little uncomfy at first because it seems strange to have someone "down there," but I promise they don't hurt and they don't last longer than 5 minutes.

Lauren C.

by Susmita24 on 5/3/2012 5:18:42 PM

MOD MOD. Whats the dif. between a pelvic exam and a physical, and if there is a dif., how do physicals go? I'm 13 and i had a phys. when i was little, so i dont really know, and i'll prob. need one soon.

Hey girlie,

A physical is a routine exam that checks out your general health all over your bod, like your blood pressure, heart, weight, etc. Physicals don't necessarily include a pelvic exam - pelvic exams are done by gynecologists to check you out only "down there." Hope this helps! Smile

Lauren C.

by Danerka on 5/3/2012 5:15:03 PM

ew!ew!ew!ew!ew! nobody is touching me anywhere! or sticking fingers or tools anywhere in by body!

by kirby<3 on 5/3/2012 3:44:27 PM

MOD! Im almost 14 and i dont have my period. Is this normal? Should i go see a doctor? Thanks Smile

Hey Girlie,

Yes, that's absolutely normal! Every girl gets it at a different age and 14 is nothing to be concerned about!
alicia m.

by HappyFeet16 on 5/3/2012 10:21:24 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
i read the artical and it says if your having problems, sexually active, or OVER 18. Does that mean i will HAVE TO GET ONE once im 18? cuz i hate going to the doctor now!
thx sooo much!
xoxo ~Ryleigh

Hey Babes,

Yes, you will have to get one sooner or later! I know it seems super scary and you might be nervous, but it's important for every girl to get checked out to prevent health risks! When the time comes, go to a female doc because that makes it easier and is less uncomfortable! It's actually not that bad, I promise Smile
alicia m.

by red716 on 5/3/2012 8:13:11 AM

Oh my god,she does WHAT?!?!?!

by iluvmusic♥ on 5/2/2012 11:14:08 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!!!
So I am 14, but I haven't had my period since I was 12... Do I need to go to the doctor? If so, what will they do? My mom knows it has been a while. She says it's just irregular because I haven't had it very long, should I be worried? Thanks sooooo much!

Well in the beginning its very irregular. The only reason to be worried if you miss your period is if youre sexually active. Since youre not freaking im guessing thats not the case, so I agree with your mom. If just being irregular. However if it continues on for too much longer you might just wanna check in with your doctor to be safe. Im sure youre fine though Smile xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by jellybean1998 on 5/2/2012 9:25:41 PM

i'm 13, i have my period, and i don't have sex but i do use tampons... will i need to have a pelvic exam? nothing like, hurts or anything down there, but will i still need to get one?

Hey girl, you won't need to have a pelvic exam until you're about 18 or so (unless you start having problems with your period).

Colleen K.

by guitargirl7321 on 5/2/2012 1:22:53 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
When I go in for any exam, should i or shouldn't i have shaved my hair "down there"?????
And I want to start wearing tampons but i know my mom won't let me and she'll think i'm crazy and that if i want to use those i can, but when I'm on my own...:p

Hey girl, there's no need to worry about any pubic hair--it's natural and completely normal! As far as tampons go, you should definitely talk to your mom first. There are some risks to take while using tampons, so it's important that she is aware of you using them. If you explain to her why you prefer tampons over pads, I'm sure she will be willing to let you use them.

Colleen K.

by sabrita on 5/2/2012 9:10:49 AM

Like everybody, I dont want anything going up there either but its the only way to check or cervix and thats important, especially before we become sexually active or get to old, they check it the first time and then see if anything changes from year to year.
On videosurf.com they do have nurses talking and showing about female (and male) exams and even show what a speculum looks like, In a way its amazing they can look inside there, but my friends say it feels really cold when its inserted. I do think guys have it easier with their testicle exams for sports, so we again have it more difficult.

by luckykel on 5/1/2012 11:28:59 PM

My health teacher told me usually the youngest they start pelvic exams is when you're 15 at the very least. I'm 12, so I don't have to worry about that! I mean, I'm terrified of tampons--I couldn't bear having someone's finger up there!!!

by MusikRox1999 on 5/1/2012 11:20:46 PM

~ alibroadway,
Sexually active means having sex, basically.

by Sarah510 on 5/1/2012 8:36:43 PM

while reading this i was like "augh" and "ew" aloud. I am SO scared.. I don't want ANTHING going up there. and what is the definition of sexually active?

by alibroadway on 5/1/2012 8:24:23 PM

I've never had a pelvic exam... my guys a doctor too and I would just feel weird..

by marym on 5/1/2012 7:42:28 PM

Ugh i am SO not looking forward to going to the gyno...even if it is a woman.

by HelenaPS on 5/1/2012 7:41:52 PM

I hope i don't need this for another 99 years...

by Danerka on 5/1/2012 7:00:58 PM

I want to be an OB/GYN. Smile

by mel8mel9 on 5/1/2012 6:46:57 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
If you are not sexually active, will they be sticking their fingers up your vagina!!!??? Because I am not and I don't really want any doctor going up there like that. I am going to be getting one of these soon... (undies off) and if I do have that, aren't they going to break my hem doing that!!!??? Thank you so much!

by JessiJo77 on 5/1/2012 6:21:01 PM

Uh, I really hate these. My doctor is a guy and it's awkward. But I'm happy for them, otherwise I could be really sick.

by bluegreen332 on 5/1/2012 6:16:01 PM

well! Thats going to be a bit awkward...

by bunniac13 on 5/1/2012 5:27:47 PM

i hate this stuff... it makes me nervous and i dont like other people seeing my privates and me even in my underwear...not even other girls when were changing the gym locker room...i change in the bathroom :/ i can tell u im going to be very scared no matter what people say to me when it comes to this stuff!

by susper on 5/1/2012 4:16:07 PM

Ugh I had to have one of these back in the fall because my period was lasting over a month and i was having horrible pelvic pain. It was so awkward and they sent my mom out of the room! Frown they didn't even ask me if I wanted her to stay... and it was pretty painful. just warning you! and if they have to take samples like the did for me the tools might be quite cold...

by Photochickie on 5/1/2012 3:53:02 PM

I havent had one yet but this article makes me feel so calm about going, so thanks. We talk among friends at school who have gone and who havent and some of them make it sound like its not a big deal and some have said they didnt like it.

I went online to listen to what nurses had to say about it and what happens and its just what the article said. I was hoping to find more instructional videos on what we will experience like on youtube and other places that show videos but all they seem to show were videos of naked men getting their physicals. I was kind of disappointed because I wanted more info, but at least I got to see what guys go through when they get checked out down there. Kind of funny and interesting at the same time.

by luckykel on 5/1/2012 3:10:04 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm getting a psychical really soon and I have to be naked-with a male doc! I'm 11 but a tad mature and have breasts and JUST got my period today. I've had this doctor before and he's really rough and sometimes without telling me, gives me shots. He told my mom that now that I'm older he should be giving me all of my shots on my bum My mom said whatever the doctor says goes and she has made him my go-to doc! So later this week he's giving me 6 shots on my bum, a FULL body exam - he said he needs to inspect my privates, check my boobs, exam my ears,nose, tummy, etc., and take a strep test, and I have my period! I'm so nervous and don't feel comfortable with him! HELP ASAP PLEASE!

Hey Girlie,

I know you're nervous and uncomfortable but this is something that we all have to go through! It's really important that you get checked by a doc regularly, especially since you just got your period (CONGRATS, btw Smile)! Just remember, this doc sees naked women all the time - it's his job! He needs to check your privates and boobs because he needs to make sure that everything is okay! Plus, if you're getting all your shots at once, it's over! No more shots for while, that's pretty neat! I know that nothing I say now can take away your worries but just remember that I have been through this and I survived  Smile Trust me, once it's over, you're not going to feel embarrassed anymore and everything is going to be just fine!
alicia m.