AN HOUR AGO #DailyGiveaway: 5 gals saddle up in Old Navy's tall buckle boot: http://t.co/sBBSObIMwh

2 HOURS AGO Currently jammin' to @jacquieleemusic's new EP—have you heard it yet? http://t.co/ERbP5g1INt

13 HOURS AGO Really though, is there any better feeling than a fresh mani?

COMMENTS

HS valedictorian Daniela Pelaez fights to be an American girl

She’s first in her class, landed a spot in the Ivy League and…is being kicked outta the country? What’s wrong with this picture…

If anybody needs advice on anything, comment on my profile and I'll reply ASAP. Thanks!Smile

by olivia192000 on 6/11/2012 10:15:53 AM

Why is she being punished for coming here illegally? She was under aged when she came here. I'll have you know most immigrants in the US are just here for a better life not to make other ppl's worse. Lowering crime rate. yeah right! *roles eyes* She should be allowed to stay plus if she does the US could get a better rep for themselves. She is a smart girl she is now my role model along with many great ppl. By the way anyone no how we can get these comments sent to the immigration aggency for her case or at least send them to her to show her most of us support her?

by cutie00 on 6/3/2012 11:43:42 AM

Mod Mod Mod Me and my BFF got into a HUGE FIGHT. We belong to the same country club, so we're at the beach and pool together every single day. The only problem is, I love tanning at the beach and reading magazines, but she loves swimming in the pool all day! How should we compromise?

Hey girl,

Why don't you try splitting your time together evenly? You can either take turns each day (you tan and read one day and swim the next) or switch it up each day (tan/read for a few hours then swim!). Also, it's okay to have some alone time. Let her know that you enjoy spending so much time together, but sometimes you just want to take time by yourself and relax at the beach.
Kelly G.

by MusicIsLove123 on 5/30/2012 8:10:07 AM

PUT YOURSELF in her position how would you feel?!?! Exactly ....… how she did not to be rude but is it really her fault ? And aren't US schools I don't know really low on grades ?! She doesn't deserve hate she deserves a medal for all the good grades!!! 98.6% of my school gets lower grades and most catholic schools in Glendale , CA have immigrant student too

by KatnissGirlonFire on 5/29/2012 11:05:15 PM

to all you people saying she shouldn't stay, is it her fault that she wasn't registered? is it her fault that her parents weren't responsible? no! so the blame shouldn't be put on her! she has worked her butt off to get good grades and to become the perfect high school student. in order to become a citizen don't you have to take a simple U.S. history test! a test that most american citizens would probably fail if they took it! this girl deserves to be here more than some people born here.

by the band geek on 5/29/2012 7:16:10 PM

I really dont have an opinion on this but I have heard people saying she is just taking the spot of a deserving US citizen who has worked hard and tried to get in college.

by luckykel on 5/29/2012 3:01:37 PM

I don't think it's fair for her to stay in the US because of her good grades. Her family should pay the consequences of not getting her citizenship. If the government allows this, this is a slap on the face to all the other people who got citizenship the RIGHT way, THEN came to the US. Immigration is a big issue. The US is the land of the free but only if you follow its laws, which include coming to the US legally. Im sorry, but i think she should be sent back. I halfway like but don't like that Dartmouth gave a her a full scholarship because they could be using that scholarship money for people who are legal AND need that money for college. It's not fair to those people in the US. American's tax money go to immigrants who are illegal instead of Americans who need that money. I think that once she applied for her citizenship in Columbia and it gets granted, she should come back. I think its good she is a smart girl but other LEGAL Americans are smart too.

by missdancer414 on 5/28/2012 2:37:15 AM

I understand the government's decision, but I don't agree with it. It does make sense to be suspicious, because, even though she has good grades she is still here illegaly. There are so many illegal people in the States now that its crazy! But, like she said, this is the only home she knows and I don't see why America would deny her. I thought that America is the country of the 'free'. What 'free'? No one is free to do as they wish anymore, the government has too much control now. If Congress and the presidents had upheld the constitution then we wouldn't have so many problems like this. They should do a full background check and see what her past is and decide from there. If they did one, then kudos to them. If they didn't, well, our country is being controled by idiots.

by Aislinn120 on 5/27/2012 10:59:30 PM

i think she deserves some privileges since she does well in school.

Hello, good students! If you get good grades and want to KEEP getting good grades or are trying to get better grades, you should join the club, HOW TO BE AN A STUDENT! We will talk about tips and studying together. Together, we can all be A students!

by Glitterheart16 on 5/27/2012 8:45:45 PM

I'm really torn, too. She should really go to college, especially being valedictorian and getting a 5 AP on her US History test, but her parents should have got citizenship right when they came into the US. I do feel extremely bad for her, but there is not much we can do to help her. Her parents didn't become a citizen of the US, now it's biting her 12 years later. Sorry, but this is the parents fault, really. I know she didn't know she was illegal, but her parents did.

by blueangelxoxo on 5/27/2012 8:34:12 PM

I don't think she should be able to slide through the law. It's great that she's valedictorian and got a 5 on her AP US history test, but think of how many people out there who did the same. Every high school out there has at least one valedictorian. There are even more people out there who got a five on their AP US History test. Although she had achieved a lot in the US, she is just one of the many smart students out there. Maybe when she gets back to Columbia, she can apply to become a legal US citizen. Many people are able to do so, so there's no reason for a smart girl like herself to not be able to do the same.

by Stargirlcandy3 on 5/27/2012 7:11:29 PM

Not "Undocumented", she is ILLEGAL. Please use the correct term.

by lockette21 on 5/27/2012 6:28:01 PM

I'm kind of torn. Sure she deserves to stay in America, but the immigration laws were made for a reason. The government's so stubborn because it's hard to just make exceptions for certain smart people.

by jster on 5/27/2012 6:11:30 PM

I think her parents should have become americans the right way, and not illigally. It's not her fault, its her parents. They made a bad desicion thats now effecting her.

by suchablonde98 on 5/27/2012 5:45:39 PM

@natalieisyourmod she isn't from Mexico and if you actually read the story you would know that. She came in the United States when she was 4. She had no idea if it was illegal or not, or how to make it legal. Give some people a chance

by laxchickie19 on 5/27/2012 12:27:48 PM

I admire what this girl is doing. And our country is "the land of opportunity" where people come here to achieve their dreams. She's getting kicked out because she wasn't born here? At least she shows her loyalty to her country , she's a great student, she got a full ride to college, and she may even pay back many people someday when she becomes a heart surgeon!

by michipie205 on 5/27/2012 11:19:01 AM

I agree with natalieisyourmod Illegal actions should not be allowed to slide because your a valedictorian. immigration is an issue, so the goverment needs to show firm leadership in their decision to send them back. all this uprising is pretty stupid if you ask me.

by kitkat12197 on 5/27/2012 11:13:29 AM

I agree with Natalieisyourmod! The judge decided and and if the government of our country wants her to leave Anerica then she doesn't really have much of a choice!

by Augie on 5/27/2012 11:11:01 AM

While other white American students are failing and dropping out of high school, a brilliant girl is getting into a college on full-scholarship and wants to be a HEART SURGEON, and people are denying her the ability to be a US citizen after showing her loyalty to this country? People are ridiculous...

by kenzi143 on 5/27/2012 10:13:21 AM

It's illegal. Simple as that. She needs to go back to Mexico. Honestly, I don't care about the fact that she is a validictorian. If you had a crack addict, but was still a validictorian, would he not be punished for his illegal actions just because of his academic preformance? Think about it that way.

by natalieisyourmod on 5/27/2012 10:09:42 AM

That is so unfair!

by taylorswiftfan1233 on 5/27/2012 9:26:43 AM

I am SO sick of people saying that her, or other people from other countries who have lived here THERE WHOLE LIVES aren't citizens. I read this article in GL. The whole purpose of only allowing people born in the US or accepted for citizenship is to lower our crime rate! But she's obviously not a criminal. She's a smart girl, and I seem to recall she was valedictorian, isn't that enough?

by hermione&ron on 5/27/2012 9:14:39 AM

this is sad, and I feel for her (& I know I'm gunna get bad rep for this) but she should really just take the test & get her green card instead of going to all this trouble. If she got a 5 on the AP history test, then just take the citizenship test and get it over with. One day in a class taking a test vs. getting the whole nation ralled up and going to the Supreme Court. hmmm, which is the better choice? This wouldn't be happening if her family would've just come here legally. Even jumping the border and then getting citizenship. Something!

by Kalulah on 5/27/2012 8:02:29 AM

That's no fair. We're all a mash up of something, and she's no different. Go, go Daniela! I hope that you get to stay in the end!

by OMGabi on 5/27/2012 6:44:07 AM

Raven.y I think you misunderstud. This act applies if you arrived in this country illegally, I am not american at all but because I am legal I do not apply to this.

by rainyseattlegirl on 5/27/2012 3:49:25 AM

That is so unfair! truely we are ALL not American because I'm half british a quarter irish and a quarter native American, where does it say I'm "American"? i mean come on, if all you need is her to be "American" then she's American! it's as simple as that. just because she looks a little difrent and she came from somewhere else doesn't mean she's uncapable! this is totally UNFAIR! Daniela I'm rooting for you!

by Raven.y on 5/27/2012 1:11:08 AM