5 HOURS AGO This #GLgirl gives you the scoop on gorg glowing skin: http://t.co/iY3iYtAtF7

8 HOURS AGO Currently swooning over these adorbs beach bags: http://t.co/GT2oH9Il1x

9 HOURS AGO Unleash your inner bookworm with our fave award-winning reads: http://t.co/WVbM9Uj7aj

COMMENTS

I wanna be... an author!

We got bestselling YA fantasy author Caroline Stevermer to tell us what her writing gig is really like…

MOD MOD MOD. hey, i don't really know if this is the type of question you would usually answer, but i don't really know who else to ask! i'm writing a story about a eighteen year old girl that finds out she has a brain tumor and i'm stuck on a title. I have a few, but they aren't really that catchy! do you have any ideas/suggestions? thanks! Smile

hey girl! Hmm, that's tough. What's the main characters name? And what does she do after she finds out? For example, if a bully named Hazel finds out she has a tumor and decides to mend her ways and be nice, you could call it "Hazel's Last Chance" or something like that. it really depends on more details of your story!

Also, try writing some of your story before titling it. Don't worry about the title if you don't have any content yet!

xoxo

Katie L.

by thatsnotawkward on 10/3/2012 4:12:16 PM

I wanna be a baker

by PewDiePie on 9/25/2012 5:25:33 PM

Mod mod mod!
Ok so I'm just wrote a 24 chapter book and I really want to publish it. I am only 13 years old, do u think people,agents in general, will take me seriously? Can I publish my work?

Hannah H.

by Pantherz2017 on 9/20/2012 4:59:56 PM

MOD MOD MOD hi! so i was just really curious for the future...is there any internships at GL like during the summer or anything? i love GL and i love writing, so i was just thinking Smile thank you! x

Hey girlie, GL internships are for college students in the Baltimore area. You can find out more about them here http://www.girlslife.com/page/Intern-at-Girls-Life.aspx

Lauren T.

by laughlots on 9/16/2012 5:59:14 PM

Hey guys! I just made a club for us fiction and short story and poem writers and I need members. You can discuss whatever you want and share short stories and poems. Also you can share story ideas!! Sound good?
Ill see ya there!
-E
P.S.: I need a vice president and treasurer, if u r intested let me know!!

by emily6119 on 8/28/2012 4:33:38 PM

im writing short books called The Tales of Monicka and Ashelee and they're about Monicka, a 12 year old girl and her little sister Ashelee, who is 7. It tells of their magical adventures!

by loppyears12 on 6/22/2012 12:30:23 AM

Mod mod mod mod
I need help I want to be a writer when I grow up. And I guessim not sure... I feel complete when I write, but not whole. Confuesing I know. But i don't know if I'll make it there. I guess I'm just worried...

Writing is your dream! So don't give up on it. Aim for that goal! Write all the time and don't give up. This is a good goal to have! Good luck hon! xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by peaceandlove1010 on 6/16/2012 11:46:37 PM

Ok, I wrote a book, and I am working on the sequel. One of my friends' mom is a publisher, and my friend offered to have her mom check it out. I would love to, but what if one of the people at the company take it as their own work??? What if it isnt as good as anyone said, and I dissapoint everyone??? I have been the top reader in my school since 3rd grade, and I have a major reputation to uphold. What if it's not good, and I lose everything I have worked for through out my whole school life??? That would be a waste of 8 years!!! What if I am not as intellectual as everyone has always thought??? If I fail at this, then no one will think I am as mature and intellectual as they did before, and I might never get a scholarship for college, so I wont be able to go to medical school, and then I will never be hired as a neonatologist!!! I have never even gotten a B, so failing at anything that requires intellecual capacity will wipe away everything good I've done and will cancell it out!!!

by MaddyL11 on 6/8/2012 2:34:53 PM

Okay, I wrote a book last summer, and am currently writng the sequel. One of my friends, who absolutely hates reading, read it, and said it was really good. Another one of my friends' mom is a publisher, and my friend said if I wanted to, she could have her mom look over it. I, however, am terrified to. What if one of the people that work in the company steal it as their own work, and sell with their name on it, and I cant prove it's mine?!?!?! I want to see what people think of it, so I know whether its worth my time or not, but what if they dont ike it??? Everyone who hasnt read it says its probably really good, because I read so much, and that since I have been the top reader in the school since literally 3rd grade,it will be awesome... What if I dissapoint everyone???

by MaddyL11 on 6/8/2012 2:19:20 PM

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Thanks, GL, for doing this interview! As you can tell from my username, I love writing and I've been making my own books at home. This is really great advice!

by WritingRocks on 5/28/2012 6:14:09 PM

I would love to be an author <3

by myfatsquirrel on 5/25/2012 9:27:48 PM

mod mod mod mod mod mod mod
Ok so my friend and I really want to start our own business! We both really like to do nails and think we are pretty good! So do you think starting our own mani pedi business is a good idea? If so how do we get started? If not do you have other good ideas? Please help!

hey! right now I think you should offer to do nails for pretty cheap, maybe 50 cents? It's actually an investment for you because each customer is more practice to improve your skills. Look into cosmetology schools early on so you two can plan your career Smile

Helen S.

by Because on 5/25/2012 5:45:57 PM

I really want to be a writer. Just not full time. This doesn't answer all of my questions though. Not even close. I do want to ask her something.
Has she read Chronicals of Chrestomanci by: Diana Wynne Jones?
(Because it's awesome. Highly recommend it.)

by silverroseart on 5/25/2012 4:23:35 PM

I loved this article! I want to be an author since the 5th grade. I write the same way she does! It's annoying sometimes. I wrote a book and am in the process of basically rewriting it because the plot line totally changed... ugh XD but I love it <3

by unicornninja on 5/24/2012 11:21:57 PM

I'm writing a book right now. Patricia is right in saying that you can't edit a book if you haven't finished the rough draft. But that doesn't mean you can't let your ideas evolve; I'm on my third revision and will stay to the end. It's funny how books start. Mine came from an idea of writing a book that would interest my crush. Now it's a passion that I lose myself into when I listen to music, always envisioning what to write and invent next. Abraham's Daughter by Arcade Fire is the best song in the world to listen to for my book. Never give up and don't let others influence you from your main plot and idea for your book. Also, if you are striving for success in your book (I hope that you are), check out the style of VERY popular books. Don't copy the subject and idea but study the style. For example, first person present style with lots of thoughts (from Hunger Games)written out is a great way to write. It helps readers relate to the main character... Good luck everyone!Smile

by OceanWavez on 5/24/2012 10:56:50 PM

This is so cool! I have been wanting to write stories since I was writing spelling stories in fifth grade! I entered a writing contest with a story about unicorns with some buddies, but never got any results. GO WANNABE WRITERS!

by HelenaPS on 5/24/2012 9:04:25 PM

I love articles like this...
Anything on writing is useful
I want to be an author, too!
And this really made me feel more confident because I was just thinking about how impossible my dream is and how in comparison my first draft looks terrible(because I kind of write like Caroline Stevermer)...but I will keep writing and praying and maybe one day my dreams will come true! Smile

by AcutieBookworm on 5/24/2012 4:18:32 PM

i so want to be a writer. I have since age 9.

by jster on 5/24/2012 3:53:51 PM

Hey my name is Taylor and started a club called Ask Taylor. Its a place where you can ask me anything and I will get back to you faster than MOD will. Come check it out!!!!!

by taytay3299 on 5/24/2012 3:52:30 PM

This is really great advice it's my dream to be an author too, I have never wanted anything more in my entire life!!

by IThinkILoveYou... on 5/24/2012 5:04:49 AM