1 HOURS AGO Try this GLgirl's all-natch beauty look: http://t.co/CSBmtk5DVx

13 HOURS AGO Why you should be rockin' a super cute sun hat this season: http://t.co/6iUJMHrLzm

16 HOURS AGO Don't worry; shaving your arms will not make your hair grow back like a sasquach: http://t.co/xbnHVhvheI

COMMENTS

Facebook for kids: Like it or leave it?

First, it was just for college students. Then, the parents joined in. Now, high schoolers are on what's probably the most successful social media platform of all...

I think facebook gets unfairly blamed but I know what everyone is saying because its so easy to see inappropriate things like naked guys and other things. Its not nearly as bad as other sites like chatroulette, where while its a good idea, there are also a lot of strange things.
My parents, especially, my dad tries to watch so much of what I do but luckily my mom is more lenient.

by luckykel on 6/5/2012 7:29:02 PM

Definitely a good idea. Although, I don't think kids under 14 should be on Facebook anyway, but as long as parents are involved, then it's fine.

by photographynut2008 on 6/5/2012 5:55:52 PM

Okay I'm turning 13 in August and this is my opinion.

People should be able to have Facebook accounts if they are over 11. I think it's okay if they have one if they're younger but i think then it should be linked to their parents account. I think that people under 15 should not be able to go on dangerous or innapropriate applications. I don't want to see a naked man on my screen!

by Lioncub190 on 6/5/2012 5:37:47 PM

I use Facebook to keep in contact with my friends, since I don't like texting a million people all the time and I'm homeschooled, so I see most of my friends once a week, if that. I'm friends with my mom and a couple of my aunts, and I have probably ten more adults I'm friends with, so it's not like I go around posting stupid, immature, or disgusting crap. Plus, I'm 17, so that's a little young for me.

I think that middle school (11 or so) is the absolute minimum age kids should have a Facebook, and only if it's tied to a parent account. But, I think the links and parent's ability to monitor the kid's entire page should go away at 14. I also think there should be an option on the child's account to add the restrictions and parental links back on, should the child decide to be stupid on Facebook. That way, the parents can see everything if their kid gets in trouble. Online safety is one of the few places I would be really strict with my kids.

by rockinlishy on 6/5/2012 4:21:26 PM

I think this is an excellent idea.....linking the accounts that is because people under the age of 13 have them anyways and even though it gets on my nerves that their just gonna break the rules just to get what's popular.....this would not bug me in the least bit.

by Ckemp on 6/5/2012 2:16:11 PM

My opinion: (I'm twelve)
I do have a Facebook, and about 2 thirds of the people I know have one to. Really no matter what age restrictions a website has, people under 13 will make accounts.

I think the way it should work is, if your under thirteen you should be able to have a facebook, just not everything on Facebook.
Facebook would send their parents a verification email to check with them first. The Tweens would NOT have access to innapropriate pages or games. They would also not be able to put their address or phone number on their profile. Their parents would also have the option to restrict other things like cussing, or messaging.
That's my opinion.

by Whisperglow on 6/5/2012 12:57:51 PM

I have a facebook but it is really not that fun.

by litmarvel on 6/4/2012 11:52:52 PM

it's ok...but it's still dumb. Not all parents have a facebook and not all parents want a facebook. Kids younger than 13 really shouldn't be allowed on, what would they do? It would turn into a place of drama more than it already is sometimes. They should just keep it the way it is. There's really no way to keep younger kids off the site, even if they did the parents' approval thing, it wouldn't take long before kids decided to make account and have it be their "parent". There's not much you can do.

by rosehuber on 6/4/2012 10:31:05 PM

Why is everyone saying how bad FB is? I'm 14 and have had a facebook account since I was 12. Just add your close friends and make your profile private and nothing will happen to you! And NO I would hate to have an account linked to my parents. I'm not even friends with my mom on FB!

by kayla9 on 6/4/2012 10:29:41 PM

I was just talking to my friend tonight about this and she said she would rather not have a fb account if its tied to her parents account. I kind of agree with that. She has had one since she was 12 and her best friend since she was 11.

by luckykel on 6/4/2012 10:25:48 PM