2 HOURS AGO Currently swooning over these adorbs beach bags: http://t.co/GT2oH9Il1x

3 HOURS AGO Unleash your inner bookworm with our fave award-winning reads: http://t.co/WVbM9Uj7aj

4 HOURS AGO Cute 'n' quick bun styles to try this weekend: http://t.co/dIFvlC8c4i

COMMENTS

Massachusetts town prohibits cursing in public

Whipping out a four-letter word is gonna cost you…

I think that swearing is like polluting your mind. Imagine this: A great, big beautiful apple tree with red, juicy apples. Then you notice there are some spoiled apples with worms in them. That's what you're doing to your mind and rep. Don't fill your head with garbage, b/c your mouth will start talking garbage. I think this is very effective and I wish we had this in AL.

by Christiangal345 on 6/12/2012 4:47:52 PM

i don't really believe in this. what ever happened to freedom of speech? like scamp24 said it lets out frustrations, but i think people should be considerate of little kids and their " sensitive ears " to cuss words

by tswiftluver13 on 6/12/2012 4:27:59 PM

I think swearing every now and then is good because it gets out your fustrations(like when you stub your toe). I read somewhere that people who swear when they are mad are happier people.
I don't think they should ban it in public all together, but they should ban it in public around kids say 9 or under.

by scamp24 on 6/12/2012 3:43:00 PM

OMG no swearing! I am going to be a senior and like everyone in my school swears!

Isn't that like against the law to ban it because of freedom of speach?

by volleyballlovergirlie on 6/12/2012 3:42:28 PM

According to the First Amendment, they can't actually do this. They'll fine the wrong person, and it'll go to court, and the town will have to overturn the law. I mean, it even says in the article that state governments have no right to restrict free speech. Laws like this are an invasion of rights and a joke.
I live near a really popular tourist destination on the East Coast, and they have "no swearing" signs all up and down the beach. They can fine you up to $250 if a cop catches you swearing. The law is mostly in place for the same reason the one in MA: to try and control teenagers who come there to hang out. It's an admirable attempt at helping the city remain family-friendly, since it relies so heavily on tourism, but it's also unconstitutional. A similar law in a neighboring city was just recently overturned and deemed an invasion of rights and the First Amendment.   Carrie R.

by rockinlishy on 6/12/2012 3:38:42 PM

Ive been to middleboros town center and I never heard any swearing or teens around the center

by snowver11 on 6/12/2012 3:04:31 PM