2 HOURS AGO #DailyFiveaway: 3 on-the-go gals grab a fully loaded @Microsoft Surface 2: http://t.co/eVkNdGrXI2

3 HOURS AGO Your ultimate fall nail polish guide!: http://t.co/W9trOYYdNl

16 HOURS AGO #BookClub: A lucky batch of book-lovin babes will score a copy of #Cinder to kick off our new book club. Enter here: http://t.co/UymDNwBfVb

COMMENTS

Massachusetts town prohibits cursing in public

Whipping out a four-letter word is gonna cost you…

That's my dad needs so we can stop cursing all the time

by I Luv Carson on 10/16/2012 4:46:37 PM

My mom slaps me when I swear.

by Mariahk on 8/7/2012 12:44:48 PM

I think you should have freedom of speech and people should just take it to a level that is appropriate for everyone one around them.

by b2b4b6 on 7/23/2012 4:51:02 PM

That limits freedom of speech. Pwople need to be classy enough to know that little kids could repeat their cussing in public.
@firefox101 LOL that's funny. and voldemorts' buttcheck? is that from potter puppet pals onn youtube?

by teampeetapercy on 7/9/2012 4:50:20 PM

Yeah, I get the whole freedom of speech argument,but if they're scaring away costumeres, I think the stores have a right to complain. I'll admit, though, I do swear a little bit, but only when I'm really stressed, and I keep it under control.

by theblondebrunette_ on 7/6/2012 2:22:11 AM

We should be able to talk however the h-e- double hockey sticks, we want!!!! I don't give a voldemorts buttcheck abouth not swearing...and I have a horrible potty mouth

by Firefox101 on 6/26/2012 2:01:24 AM

i live in middleboro and i think the law is weird. i mean its kinda weird how you can be fined $20 for swearing in public. why cant the police or store owners tell the person to stop. everyone in my shool jokes about it and i guess i do to. we all say oh remember to bring your money if you go up town. i know everyone has freedom of speech but do you have to go overboard with the swearing?

by allyntyler on 6/23/2012 7:43:15 PM

I think this law is ridiculous. I will admit, that I swear a little. (It's actually been proven that swearing when you're mad calms you down, unless you swear frequently) I think this is just taking away free speech. Swearing doesn't do any harm that other words can't.

by FatDancingPanda on 6/23/2012 3:00:15 PM

luckykel-Yes,massachusetts is.

by iluvmusic♥ on 6/23/2012 1:14:04 PM

Well, I think it's a great law because really what do we need cuss words for anyway they are dirty and shouldn't be used, so I think this law is just trying to make the world cleaner and who doesn't want that?

by ContestLover1 on 6/22/2012 7:27:56 PM

What a weird thing, everyone knows swearing is inappropriate but who are the swear police, just sounds weird.

And isnt Massachusetts the same state where some schools are now giving condoms to middle schoolers.

by luckykel on 6/19/2012 12:31:44 PM

No, smileitsjulia, the bartender cannot call the police, in one article I read on the matter, the police cheif said that police officers will not be scouting for profane language, but if they overhear it the fine will be enforced. This article is a breif overveiw on the subject and should not be use the base a entire opinion. Also some parents don't need to "learn to be better parents" the language is picked up watching televison, i hope nobody says "Well, parents should further constrict what we watch." Throughout our lives we will be exposed to others bad habits, and our parents won't always be able to say "Thats a no-no." Look up the town, trust me it's all over the news and internet.

by PANDAS616 on 6/17/2012 8:39:16 PM

Commenting again. If the town was so "overun with swears" then adults should learn how to be better parents and not let their children just wonder the town so they could "scare away customers"

I agree with @hockeyismylife. Lets say I'm 21 and at a bar with fellow adults. If I swear, is the bartender going to call the cops, and I'll have to pay the fine? This is stupid.

by smileitsjulia on 6/17/2012 10:59:08 AM

I have relatives in Middleborough and when I came to the North to visit I was disgusted. I hope ya'll realize that the law is not fringing with your freedom of speech, but preventing verbal abuse! My cuz' who lives there thinks the law is great because the town is overrun with swears! Also my aunt and uncle called and said their was a town meeting with a vote, so the town is mostly pleased with the law. I think ya'll should research the circumstance further until you voice your opinion, because it really is good for the town!

by PANDAS616 on 6/16/2012 9:32:16 PM

Okay I 've already made my point but... I have to totally disaggree with @fungirl123. You can easily make your point "stronger " without having to cuss. And Im pretty sure someone could express their anger without using "dumbo " and still make their point and still be taken serously. I learned in church that your personality comes a lot from how you act and how you speak. So you wanna be a nice person?? Speak nice words. Wanna be a "cool " person? Well then speak how all the "cool " people are speaking. And people, stop freaking out. If you don't live in Middleborough then stop sweating it. You're town doesn't ban swearing so stop freaking out about this ONE town that does. Sorry if I'm being a little rude but I, like everyone else, felt like I needed to make my point.

by DaNcInGQu33N9812 on 6/16/2012 7:31:34 PM

I feel that this law is slightly ridiculous. Swearing around young children is inappropriate, but adults should have the decency to watch what they're saying around kids. Though there are some places where swearing is disrespectful, such as a family restaurant, are you going to tell people that they are breaking a law by swearing in a bar where there is only adults? If someone is cussing in a public place they can simply be asked to stop by a worker or to leave if their behavior continues.

by hockeyismylife on 6/16/2012 4:28:29 PM

Ok I don't think you should you should have to pay a fine if u cuss but cussing WRONG and u shouldn't do it. It is stupid and immature

by abbyglow500 on 6/16/2012 3:19:28 PM

We ARE joking, correct? I live in MA, and our laws can be a bit ridiculous at times, but this is down right unconstitutional! Swearing is not classy, at all, but that does not mean you can tell us we can't do it. We have a right to freedom of speech, and telling us what we can and cannot say in public is going directly against it. If this law comes to my town, I will probably just break it. This is an infringement on my rights, and I refuse to follow it.

by smileitsjulia on 6/16/2012 12:29:39 PM

I live in middleborough ma. And I am in the eight grade. I agree with the law but most kids at school make jokes about it. Like for example kids on the bus will be swearing and then they'll be like how much money am I up to now... $200? I feel the route of my beloved towns swearing problem is the teens, so instead of making laws they should find a way to stop teens and Tweens from swearing in the halls and on the bus!

by Madbonz6 on 6/16/2012 10:09:43 AM

Oh my god, I'm all for don't cures in front of littlie kids... but god! don't you think paying for curesing is a little much?D!

by acppb26 on 6/16/2012 9:50:36 AM

freedom of speech does not just mean you can have an opinion and speak it, it also includes words.let people have their freedom! Meghan D.

by opptop on 6/16/2012 12:33:16 AM

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?! this is terrible now freedom of speech is being violated! yes swearing is not classy and i don't believe in it but i still have a right to do it. and you guys are supporting it. stop being so "goody two shoes" and stand up for your rights!

by opptop on 6/16/2012 12:25:57 AM

MOD!MOD!MOD!MOD!
Hey I live in one of the most boring places on Earth and the only things to do around here is walk. I want to know what summer activities I could do at home.

Hey Girl,

Do you have any friends near by? Why not do some cool DIY crafts? Or check out a bunch of books? Learn how to play guitar? Practice your headstand? There's a thousand things you can do from home.

have fun!
simone s.

by transform2314 on 6/14/2012 2:34:37 PM

That is a great idea, but might be hard for some people. I think that the law enforcers should be lenient at first, then get stricter as people get better. Some might see this as an obstruction of free speech, but is there really anything good that comes from cursing? We, as civilized people, should surely be able to express ourselves calmly and kindly, without scaring other people.

by ceahorse on 6/14/2012 12:04:18 PM

I think swearing and cursing sounds really nasty coming out of people's mouths, especially the way a lot of teen's cuss these days. I understand why Massachusetts would want to prohibit cursing in public because it's unnecessary and sometimes disturbing to others. However, people make a strong case against prohibiting it to because of freedom of speech. Overall, I think it's appropriate because of children in public!

by bonbon7810 on 6/14/2012 11:29:12 AM

Mod Mod Mod Mod!
I want to begin baby sitting on my street because there's a lot of kids and I want to earn some money. The problem is that I have soccer Mon-Thurs evenings, I might be gone some weekends to visit my grandparents, I'll be gone 3 weeks in July for a church camp, and in august my family is going on a mission trip for two weeks. I don't really have anyone who they could recommend them to either. I don't want be undependable and turn many people down. What should I do? Should I still babysit? Or put up fliers with only my available times? Thanks!

Hey girlie,

I think it's a great idea to put up flyers with your available times!
Jordan S.

by SummerButterflies on 6/13/2012 11:51:09 PM

I thinks it's a good and bad idea. I mean, I don't like it when people cuss. It just makes the shop or place their in look bad....BUT it does take away free speech rights

by myfatsquirrel on 6/13/2012 10:37:40 PM

That is not a fair punishment. I mean it is free speech. There cannot be a law which says when and how you should curse. I'm not saying that cursing is good but I'm just saying that you can't just restrict people from expressing themselves. They are contradicting the Bill of Rights which state free speech. That is not something just anybody will stand for. The people of Massachusetts should speak up.

by transform2314 on 6/13/2012 10:08:37 PM

This is a good idea, but its going to be hard for a couple of people with potty mouths...lol.

by MusicTaughtMeHowToLive on 6/13/2012 9:59:18 PM

I'm glad their doing this no cursing thing. Nobody likes a bunch of rude teenagers yelling at u and saying dirty things while ur trying to shop...

by kaymalu on 6/13/2012 9:21:34 PM

i think they should do that ova in pennsylvania. as of matter of fact, dey should do it everywhere in the USA!

by cutiepie14231 on 6/13/2012 8:24:32 PM

Yes,there is the law of free speech but it's unpleasant to here the f-bomb dropped so freely and frequently,especially at places you expect to go with your family.

by iChic on 6/13/2012 8:17:51 PM

I agree with you, fritz! This nation was founded on God and sadly people are forgetting that. But swearing in public just isn't classy. Where has class gone?

by unicornninja on 6/13/2012 7:33:06 PM

I'd be fined out of house and home if I lived there.

by OMGabi on 6/13/2012 5:16:57 PM

so you have a ton of junk lying around your house and nothing to do with it. Plus you want some new jewelry without spending a ton. What do you do? Join my club and find out how to turn ordinary stuff around your house into funky and creative stuff! The club is called DIY Green!

by kpianoplayer on 6/13/2012 3:40:16 PM

i personally think it's a good idea because i hate it when i go outside and have to hear people swearing, but it might be crossing the line a little. if the people of this town like this law though, i say go for it.

by sharie7 on 6/13/2012 1:35:06 PM

Technically, this law isn't allowed because it goes against the constitution and right for freedom of speech. This would be an "unconstitutional" law. So sooner or later the federal government would hopefully get rid of the law.

by brenlxl on 6/13/2012 1:27:03 PM

Our freedom of speech is being taken away. this isn't the first time. we can go and say its ok to be gay, but aren't allowed to say against. it. We have an opinion. i have friends who have been suspended because they were talking about God. that just isn't right. This nation was founded using the Bible as a law book. Where have are morals gone? Before we know it, murder will be ok . i know that sounds crazy but its true. we have started to allow ourselves to believe things that are wrong are ok. Please, any Christians out there do not be ashamed of Christ. I hate to see where this world is going, but its all happening too fast. The end is drawing near. Where will you be?

by fritz on 6/13/2012 12:18:56 PM

I have just studied the Bill of Rights and the freedom of speech is to speak your own opinion and it is the right to vote. Yelling out cuss words for the world to hear is not appropriate. I support the Middleborough community.

by savethefrogs on 6/13/2012 12:05:42 PM

ok everyone talking on here saying that its bad to cuss and this and that, but really people should be able to say what they want as long as its not hurting anyone, if you dont like cussing then dont listen, i would rather have someone cussing outside of my shop then coming in and robbing it! its just ludicrous that you would arrest someone for cussing! and yes i do think its destroying freedom of speech.

by j4zm09 on 6/13/2012 11:51:11 AM

"Freedom of Speech" I not about cussing! If it was then the Constitution would say, "And YOU @$&&$&-/)/@ better not take away our &@$@&&@ right to cuss whenever we $&$&@@ want!!" It means you have the freedom to be able to speak your opinion. You know how people vote? If people didn't vote then that would be breaking the freedom of speech law. People vote for who they want in authority, and their voice is heard and respected. So you guys need to know what you're talking about before you say it. America was originally supposed to be based on God(ahem, "In God We Trust"), so they wouldn't have put "Freedom Of Speech" as a Cuss Whenever You Want law.

by EgirlH.97 on 6/13/2012 11:45:11 AM

Everyone on here is discussing about cussing in public and how this is destroying our freedom of speech. The thing is, before we reach an extreme as going to charge kids in public, shouldn't we try to stop it in our homes? Say the parents had their own swear jar at home. And when the parents it feels right, they can either stop the swear jar or have the kids bring their own jar around for them to put money. Maybe it will work or maybe it won't. Its the fact people can stop a big problem on a smaller scale and can increase a little at time, without breaking the Constitution.

by luvrmusic on 6/13/2012 11:24:05 AM

And, BTW, I think Freedom of Speech isn't about what words you use, but what opinion you are putting out in the world. So, this isn't breaking the Constitution or anything.

by AlwaysDreamer on 6/13/2012 11:14:45 AM

ANY PEOPLE WHO SAY SWEARING IS OK ARE WRONG!

CURSING IS BAD!

ITS OFFENDING AND A SIN.

YOU CAN EASILY TALK WITHOUT CURSING.

TRY IT SOMETIME!!!!

by 5boys_1D on 6/13/2012 11:10:20 AM

Oh my gosh...FREEDOM OF SPEECH! We have the right to cuss all we want. I do let some slip sometimes but I don't cuss much. But still, THIS IS TAKING OTHER PEOPLE'S FREEDOM OF SPEECH!! Pretty soon, they'll stop teaching kids the bill of rights. And $20? This is just bad.

by iluvmusic♥ on 6/13/2012 10:58:17 AM

I hate cursing. Why do you need to use one of those four-letter-words if you have a strong grasp of showing your emotions using appropriate words? Swearing says a LOT about your personality, and not in a positive way. I don't see swearing as a way of using "stronger words", but using rude words.

I love the town's idea! I hope I could steal it for my own, actually.

by AlwaysDreamer on 6/13/2012 10:57:08 AM

Modmodmod!
Hey! Last night I made a sign out of a piece of paper to advertise my babysitting business. My mom works at a hair salon and is letting me put it up there. What I'm wondering is should I make one on the computer or keep the handwritten one? I put curly letters and a baby on the handwritten one. Which would look better? Thanks!

Hey girl,

I'm sure the one that you already made will work well! If it is neat and people can clearly read it, I'm sure it will be fine.
Kelly G.

by EgirlH.97 on 6/13/2012 10:52:45 AM

sounds tough but will deff help people see God's love!

♫ ♪ ♥ ♫ ♪ ♥ ♫ ♪ ♥ ♫ ♪ ♥ ♫ ♪ ♥ ♫ ♪ ♥ ♫ ♪ ♥ ♫ ♪ ♥
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!! Join my club: Operation: YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! Our mission is to post anonymous notes in public places for other people to find. The point is that WE ARE ALL BEAUTIFUL!!! In my club, we will have daily quotes that you can put on post- its to uplift girls. So please join my club so we can tell everyone that we are beautiful the way we are!

by heather99 on 6/13/2012 10:07:45 AM

Hola Chicas! Join my Lana Del Rey Fans club! If you loooove Lana Del Rey... this is the club for u! Here we will talk about our favorite songs by her, how her fashion has inspired us, and how cool she is!

by artistchic99 on 6/13/2012 9:49:59 AM

That is not cool. Honestly, i dint cuss but i cant help it if a few words slip out every once in a while. But cussing to most people os the way to express anger in a stronger form of words. If you take that away you are guranteeing for people to express anger in other ways. Fights are an example. That is my opinion.

by Sarahstarxx on 6/13/2012 3:23:28 AM

I agree. People are able to express themselves just fine without the cursing. I think that it is still a little bit irrational, but I do not make their laws. I would just like to add that not everyone needs to curse, or even the people who do. It is dirty and uncalled for.

by cupcake53 on 6/13/2012 12:33:17 AM

i think this is wrong. swearing aloud in public place like restaraunt or something isnt cool, but they can just kick the person out. making laws against swearing isnt okay. people can ignore it in the streets. but in a store or dinner place or whatever, if someone is continually swearing loudly, they could just be asked to leave

by girlivinginclouds on 6/13/2012 12:14:24 AM

This is defiantly unconstitutional. The United States was made for freedom of religion, freedom of speech. And to get away from high tariffs. All of these things are practically being revoked and no one cares. Everyone has a right to say what they please. America is a place for free people we should speak as we please as long as it does not harm another individual psychically.

by HockeyLuver on 6/12/2012 11:29:56 PM

THIS. IS. AWESOME! I'm a huge stickler against swearing. I even wrote my oral interp speech focusing on modesty through your speech. In the end, there is nothing that you can ever gain by cussing, just loose. I think Massachusetts is doing the right thing and looking out for its people.

by zwinky on 6/12/2012 10:39:12 PM

People can still express themselves without swearing. Therefore, the "no swearing" thing is not unConstitutional. You can still say what you want, but you need to think about your words more. Which will probably bring down the number of teens who say what the swearing actually means. Kids at my school regularly swear, but they sometimes don't know what the swear word actually means, because they use the words really poorly. Some kids swear every other word, showing that they have very limited vocabularies.

by Irishdancerzrule on 6/12/2012 10:36:41 PM

I think that that is ridiculous. I don't swear but I don't think they need to make a law against it. They should just talk to the teens about the issue. They probably just don't realize the trouble they're causing. Simply talking to the naughty teens would be a better solution than going to all the trouble of arresting people for it.

by Glitterheart16 on 6/12/2012 10:26:25 PM

I agree with this law completely. Freedom of Speech I think is more based on having our own opinions and being able to say and express our opinions in public. Cursing on the streets isn't cool. Curse in private I mean people shouldn't curse at all and saying these words around children is really inconsiderate, what if a child starts repeating those words. People need to learn their lesson for screaming curse words (especially the f word) like normal words because what is it showing people? That we are dirty mouth children. I never curse and no one should. People should be allowed to leave their homes without having to hear people swear. Citizens have a right to be leaving their house, walk down their street and being comfortable with words people say around them. This is a good law and I completely agree.

by BabyDahl13 on 6/12/2012 10:25:58 PM

That's a terrible law! Has anyone in Middleborough ever heard of freedom of speech? The government, whether it's state or federal, just keeps on getting more and more up in our business as citizens, and I really can't stand it anymore! Are we ever going to actually have the rights "guaranteed" to us in the Constitution? Goodness, please just give us our freedom!

by st8cfab on 6/12/2012 10:22:31 PM

Okay, to all the people saying that swearing isn't wrong, it is. No one, under ANY circumstances, should be swearing. Surely you can find better language than that? I understand the First Amendment completely. And, if the First Amendment is still in effect, why are we called racist for saying something about an African American, I have nothing against them, I'm just proving my point. Why was someone thrown in jail for asking Obama where he was born? No one is up in arms about that, but everyone goes nuts when swearing is banned. Swearing is considered by some to be disturbing the peace, if done loudly in a public place. It should be banned. Would you seriously want toddlers to hear that? Why is everyone obsessing over the First Amendment when it doesn't even apply anymore? We don't have freedom. If we did, we'd have freedom of speech, we'd be able to speak of God in schools. The constitution SHOULD have God in it! Please people, try to see the big picture before commenting on this.

by Aislinn120 on 6/12/2012 10:12:54 PM

Maybe they could post signs in front of stores saying "Please watch your language" or the store managers could come and ask the teenagers to stop and keep the swearing to a minimum? If it's just teens who are causing the problems, then it's just that they're immature and need to be taught to watch their language. Everyone slips once in a while, and what that town is doing is a violation of freedom of speech. Sure society is bad, but what is so bad about it is violence and other stuff, and swearing doesn't determine all of society's problems.

by fallsb-ball on 6/12/2012 10:01:53 PM

hmm.. i wonder if Massachusetes has ever heard the phrase "freedom of speech" what ever happened to it? its so stupid, they think that they will be able to stop this. im not dissing on the ppl who made the law, but its like thinking you can stop ppl from THINKING the words. i dont think little kids should curse, but i dont like the law. its pathetic. hate me if you want, but thats my opinion. ahem, once again... FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

by red716 on 6/12/2012 9:05:58 PM

the city has no right, we are free to say what ever the heck we want to but maybe we should keep the swearing down to a minium.

by gingeriscute22 on 6/12/2012 8:58:31 PM

All right seriously? I'm not the biggest fan of cursing, but I still do it when necessary or if I feel like it. The First Amendment says freedom of speech, so I don't think that it is fair to get arrested for cursing. People can say what they want. You can sue if the police arrests you for telling them to f off or whatever, and this will happen so many times that the law will have to be overturned.
Like said before, little kids shouldn't be cussing and stuff, but if you're a teenager, then you have rights, but just be considerate of what you're saying in front of a kindergartener.
SMH at America. We're so bad at keeping the laws.

by Noellastarr0206 on 6/12/2012 8:57:17 PM

Thats not fair, what if it slipes out? Sure kids, teens, even adults shouldn't curse, but thats no reason to throw some one in jail, or make them pay a fine of $who-knows-how-many!! It's there mistake that they gave up freedom of speech!!!! FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

PEACE OUT! <3

by PEACEPINKY on 6/12/2012 8:29:32 PM

I think thats awesome and wish they would do that everywhere, sorry guys who think that thats wrong to fine people, but it should be stopped. You obviosly don't know how bad society is if you think that this is wrong. Swearing is actually a really bad problem someplaces, and doesn't help the economy either.

by lollipop68 on 6/12/2012 8:22:19 PM

I think this isn't a bad law. Call me a good-girl, a suck-up, too young, whatever I want, but here's my theory.
People can swear during private convos all they want, but teens smoking and swearing in public places is not-so-cool. It's a big problem in some places! I was at the park with my brother and some boys in the corner swore. My brother is four, and was three at the time. While this is encroaching on destroying freedom of speech, swearing is not cool. Not cool. Helen S.

by Lilylunapotter13 on 6/12/2012 8:21:17 PM

What. What even is this.

by peaches and raspberries on 6/12/2012 7:57:49 PM

ONE PART OF ME SAYS: WELL WHAT HAPPENED TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH? BUT WHEN I THINK OF IT WE DON'T HAVE OUR RIGHTS 'TILL WE ARE 18 UNLESS WE HAVE OUR 'RENTS PERMISSION. THE OTHER PART OF ME SAYS: SERIOUSLY NOW A DAY PEOPLE ARE CURSING EVERYWHERE. WE ARE TEACHING LITTLE KIDS THAT CURSING IS GOOD. I KNOW AT LEAST 5 KIDS UNDER 7 YEARS OLD THAT CURSE (NOT GOOD). BUT SERIOULY ARRESTING SOMEONE FOR SAYING A BAD WORD IN PUBLIC IS AN EXAGERATION! I SEE ARESTING SOMEONE FOR STEALING, KIDNAPPING, ECT. IS OK BUT CURCSING?!

by vv707 on 6/12/2012 7:53:30 PM

That's stupid, freedom of speech. Helloooo?! I'm sure all of the girls supporting the law don't curse, but the government can't take away your words. I hope my city never does this.

by fireworks1071 on 6/12/2012 7:52:58 PM

I think this is a dumb law. I get that some people are offended by cursing, but you have the right to curse if you want to. This is a blatant violation of free speech, and I think that they should not be able to get away with this law.

by supersingershannon on 6/12/2012 7:36:55 PM

I can't believe this! They shouldn't be able to get away with this and someone needs to put a stop to it. Next there's gonna be laws that stop us from having guns,or going to church. Its things like this that will put in end to freedom. Helen S.

by serenitybaum on 6/12/2012 7:02:47 PM

i don't swear that often, but yeah it does let the anger out and does leave u in a better mood.

by Alykat18 on 6/12/2012 6:53:05 PM

That is totally outragous!!! OK i admit that it is not good ''manners'' to swear in public, but the police have no right to fine them for swearing, witch by the way is uncontitutional because that is taking away there freedom of speech, a nautral right that is clearly stated,but its even worse to make them pay for it just because they were using harsh language, and scaring people away!

by katie koo on 6/12/2012 6:39:03 PM

ban cursing from ages 9 and under? Just because your not a little kid doesn't make it any less wrong. Cursing does help get your anger out, but a lot of people on my bus curse ALL THE TIME often at other people. A bit of cursing to let out anger or pain is ok, but speaking it to other people or any time is wrong.

by jster on 6/12/2012 5:46:45 PM

I wish every street in every town in every state could be Squeaky Clean! That's Horrible that people were afraid to shop because of a few swearing teens! So go Middlebourgh, Massachutes! Keep up the law! I hope that every town in the US come's to their sense's and creates a law for a "Certain" word!

by SydVogel on 6/12/2012 5:43:58 PM

Wait...how is swearing wrong? I swear. But, guess what? When people swear (if they're mature) it's to make their point bigger and stronger. Since humans are dumb and they don't listen when people say "heck" or "you dumbo". It's life. Get over it. Smile

by fungirl123 on 6/12/2012 5:27:26 PM

People, we have a right to speak how we want. I don't like cursing, but I don't think they should have to pay a "fee" if one slips. Personally, I think swearing if a total turn-off, and kinda... trashy. Yes, be considerate when you're out in public, because there ARE little ears to hear it. There. I feel like I've made my pointSmile

by DaNcInGQu33N9812 on 6/12/2012 5:15:28 PM

I guess it could keep people from getting into fights.

by littlemissy226 on 6/12/2012 5:05:08 PM

freedom of speech! i will NOT pay money to swear! i have never swore but if i do someday i dont want to be fined! and btw swearing isnt all that bad! like say you just got a phone call in public that somebody close to you just died,and you swore..... i would be really mad that i had to be fined bc of that.

by kirby<3 on 6/12/2012 5:02:16 PM

c'mon, is is really that necessary to swear ?

by sarabieber1799 on 6/12/2012 4:51:13 PM

I think that swearing is like polluting your mind. Imagine this: A great, big beautiful apple tree with red, juicy apples. Then you notice there are some spoiled apples with worms in them. That's what you're doing to your mind and rep. Don't fill your head with garbage, b/c your mouth will start talking garbage. I think this is very effective and I wish we had this in AL.

by Christiangal345 on 6/12/2012 4:47:52 PM

i don't really believe in this. what ever happened to freedom of speech? like scamp24 said it lets out frustrations, but i think people should be considerate of little kids and their " sensitive ears " to cuss words

by tswiftluver13 on 6/12/2012 4:27:59 PM

I think swearing every now and then is good because it gets out your fustrations(like when you stub your toe). I read somewhere that people who swear when they are mad are happier people.
I don't think they should ban it in public all together, but they should ban it in public around kids say 9 or under.

by scamp24 on 6/12/2012 3:43:00 PM

OMG no swearing! I am going to be a senior and like everyone in my school swears!

Isn't that like against the law to ban it because of freedom of speach?

by volleyballlovergirlie on 6/12/2012 3:42:28 PM

According to the First Amendment, they can't actually do this. They'll fine the wrong person, and it'll go to court, and the town will have to overturn the law. I mean, it even says in the article that state governments have no right to restrict free speech. Laws like this are an invasion of rights and a joke.
I live near a really popular tourist destination on the East Coast, and they have "no swearing" signs all up and down the beach. They can fine you up to $250 if a cop catches you swearing. The law is mostly in place for the same reason the one in MA: to try and control teenagers who come there to hang out. It's an admirable attempt at helping the city remain family-friendly, since it relies so heavily on tourism, but it's also unconstitutional. A similar law in a neighboring city was just recently overturned and deemed an invasion of rights and the First Amendment.   Carrie R.

by rockinlishy on 6/12/2012 3:38:42 PM

Ive been to middleboros town center and I never heard any swearing or teens around the center

by snowver11 on 6/12/2012 3:04:31 PM