9 HOURS AGO Oh no! Some of our fav couples split this week! Find out who: http://t.co/9VE5tNEShu

13 HOURS AGO August week 4 giveaways! Do you see your name? http://t.co/SudLdgIsd5

14 HOURS AGO What you really should know about braces: http://t.co/GgkBW8UVK1

COMMENTS

NYC gives supersized sugary drinks two thumbs down

NYC’s mayor is cracking down on the sale of sugary drinks in order to help stop the spread of obesity. His idea is to ban the...

@carolinerr There are so many things wrong with your comment.

I'm really glad they are doing this. If we all continue to drink soda I'm such large proportions, we will all be obese. I always hear success stories of people losing weight, and they always say they cut back on soda. Thank goodness for the few people with some sense!

by Girlygirl22werock on 6/13/2012 11:55:30 PM

My take's it's a good idea. I do think this will help people stay healthy.

by otter77 on 6/13/2012 11:41:22 PM

I think this is a stupid law. It's not going to help people eat more healthfully. If people want to drink more sugary drinks, they will just buy more than one. Besides, we live in a free country where the government has no right to control what other people consume as long as it doesn't affect others.

by supersingershannon on 6/13/2012 11:37:43 PM

Saw this on the news... What next they will control what we eat???!!

by amileofroses on 6/13/2012 10:28:29 PM

Mod mod mod!
I need an answer asap! So I got my period today and I have a swim party tomorrow that I have to go to. I really don't wanna wear a tampon yet and I don't think pads will keep me safe! What can I do????? I need help! How can I avoid the pool? Or what if I am the only one outside the pool??? And it's a girl boy party! Help!

by bubbles3956 on 6/13/2012 10:20:43 PM

That is literally the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. Abortion shouldn't be banned, because we shouldn't tell women what to do with their bodies, yet we can't drink 20 ounces of coke? People need to take responsibility for their actions. Why is alcohol not included? There are 140 calories in a 12 ounce can of coke, which is about the same as your average 12 ounce can of beer. Last time I checked, people haven't been killed from a driver who drank too much coke.

by carolinerr on 6/13/2012 10:06:04 PM

If you ban the sugary drinks, it will just make people want them more. Restaurants will lose business on these drinks because everyone will just go to a grocery store to buy them. Why not just encourage healthy eating instead of banning all sugary drinks. Cut down on the price of healthy foods and that may make people think twice before buying the high calorie beverage. I would still continue drinking soda, but the key is moderation. Telling people they can't have something will just make them want it more.

by Bridgge2010 on 6/13/2012 9:09:48 PM

Wow. Are you kidding me? Cutting down obesity should come from ENCOURAGEMENT to eat the right thing, not laws forbidding it! Chandra Pop is completely right! It will simply become socially acceptable to drink two sodas. This is America, you know, Land of the FREE? How does it physically harm others that I have a Big Gulp? It's a matter of personal choice. I'm all for making America a healthier place and lowering the obesity rate, but this isn't the way to go about it! Where I live, they wanted to make a 'sin' tax. They wanted to tax candy, chips, bottled water, and things like that. It failed miserably! There's a reason for that! If we teach our children that healthy is better, then they'll believe that. Positive encouragement. When you train a dog, it won't listen if you only beat it, yell at it, and scold it. It learns of praise and rewards. Hopefully the Health Department will veto this 'law'.

by Stargazin1 on 6/13/2012 7:59:44 PM

@pccool; i completely agree!! Why cant they worry about alcohol instead of soda. More people die due to that each year. Besides, people could just buy more then ne small soda..... It just wont help at all and only get people mad.

by LilyLookALike on 6/13/2012 7:57:23 PM

I think this will help. Health is a big issue and hopefully this will help, though its hard for me to be very simpathetic, because I don't drink Soda. I don't mean one a week, I mean one a year. I had my first soda in 4th grade. Its not like my parents didn't allow it, they drank soda but I just never asked for any.

by rainyseattlegirl on 6/13/2012 7:48:06 PM