4 HOURS AGO Get psyched for back to school with these music vids: http://t.co/552P5H0TUp

7 HOURS AGO What kind of sister are you? http://t.co/R0BoPmeZug

8 HOURS AGO Give your closet a killer makeover: http://t.co/CimNERzkMm

COMMENTS

NYC gives supersized sugary drinks two thumbs down

NYC’s mayor is cracking down on the sale of sugary drinks in order to help stop the spread of obesity. His idea is to ban the...

This is so right! Americans have no self limitaions and really don't know when to stop. If they really need that 72 Ounce Big Gulp, they can buy 2 mediums. They aren't saying you CAN'T drink gallons of pop, they're just making it more difficult to get. No one needs gallons of High Fructose Corn Syrup.

by zoogs97 on 6/26/2012 11:33:43 PM

Doesn't this seem a little gestapo to anyone? The local government telling you how much of something you can and can't have seems a little off to me. Shouldn't it be your own choice how much soda you drink? Oh wait maybe I'm confused which country we're in. I really thought this was the USA.
>:/

by sidneyricerules18 on 6/18/2012 7:17:32 PM

This new law can easily lead into communism. My parents came from a once communist country so I know. Those of us who do not have that problem should not have to suffer. I can limit myself in the amount of stuff I take in and I don't need someone to help me. I for one had been underweight for a while (now I am normal, but otherwise healthy as can be. Just because I needed to gain weight does not mean others do as well. We all have personal problems, however others should not have to suffer alongside us if the issue does not concern them. There are professionals who can help and family to support, but forcing it down our throats will do no good. There was a ban on alcohol ("Prohibition") in early 20th and that failed (increased crime rate and the alcohol was smuggled in "speakeasies")so this will too. The more freedom we have the better life is for all. If they want to live an unhealthy lifestyle, it is by their doing because in the end it is our own decisions that make or break us.

by ola.g14 on 6/18/2012 2:17:32 PM

Mod mod mod mod!!!
Ok so I know that tampons work best for sports but can you wear a pad during sports? I have a basketball game today and I can't wear tanpons. Will a pad still work? And please don't just tell me that I need to wear a tampon. Thanks

Hey girl,

A pad will work just fine as well. No sweat.
Kelly G.

by bubbles3956 on 6/15/2012 3:13:29 PM

Do I think obesity is a HUGE problem in this country? Yes. But do I think that this law is the best way to solve it? I'm not so sure. I feel like it's a law that is easy to get around, and won't stop people from drinking as much soda as they want. I think the only thing it could do is make people aware of how much sugar they are consuming. However, I do think that Bloomberg is in the right for trying to face obesity, and it's not entirely correct to say that obesity only harms the individual. It can cause a lot of health problems, and cause people to be hospitalized..which can affect others if those hospitalized are uninsured. But that brings up other issues. Anyway, I don't think this ban will be very effective, but if it's the first step on the road to other, more effective laws, then I'm all for it.

by MadameAwesome on 6/14/2012 2:55:55 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I want an Ipod touch SO badly, but i'm broke. What could I do that is simple and easy?

Hey Girl!

I don't know how old you are but you could always apply for a part time job. Or try baby sitting, mowing lawns, washing cars, etc.

Maybe your parents and relatives will give you a few $$ to take care of extra chores

best of luck!
simone s.

by Taylorbb77 on 6/14/2012 2:51:11 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok so last night i watched a movie called vegucated. it was about 3 people who adopted a vegan diet for 6 weeks and learned what its all about. it showed how different animals were processed i guess for meat and other products. its terrible how they are treated. anyways now i want to be a vegan. i just dont know if thats possible cause we always have some kind of meat or dairy product in our meals. i want to be a vegan really badly i just dont know how to act on it. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey girl,

maybe you could talk to your parents about buying animal free products?  There are tons of cookbooks and recipes out there for Vegan cooking.

best of luck,

SImone
simone s.

by purplelover<3 on 6/14/2012 11:24:34 AM

But people don't WANT to have healthy stuff. It's not 'abusing their freedom' at all! It's their choice! We should not be controlling people's eating! Yes,people are getting obese,but that's their problem! It's getting to be very,very controlling in America and quiet honestly,it's worrying.

by iluvmusic♥ on 6/14/2012 10:33:47 AM

This is totally ridiculous. The government should not be controlling what people consume. We live in America where you are SUPPOSED to have free will. This is one step closer to becoming a communist contry, which is right where we're headed.
On another note, being obese is something that only effects you. It's not harming anyone or anything around you, that's your personal decision and the government has no right to make that for you.

by beauty4girls on 6/14/2012 1:24:09 AM

@bubbles3956
hey gurl im not a mod but heres my advice: if uve had ur period b4, go ahead & try a tampon (lik mayb 4 30 minutes or so). if it works, gr8!=) if not, excuse urself 2 the bathroom, & change into a pad (do ultra thin w/ no wings so it doesnt show). ull look just as hot by the poolside as u will in the pool!=) u cud still b involved in the party by sittin @ the edge of the pool w/ just ur legs in water, or judging watevr game their playin -or chatting w/ the hottie whos grabbin a soda;) make sure the ppl dont push u in=/ anyway...yah...hope tis helps!!!

by WhoAmI? on 6/13/2012 11:58:46 PM

@carolinerr There are so many things wrong with your comment.

I'm really glad they are doing this. If we all continue to drink soda I'm such large proportions, we will all be obese. I always hear success stories of people losing weight, and they always say they cut back on soda. Thank goodness for the few people with some sense!

by Girlygirl22werock on 6/13/2012 11:55:30 PM

My take's it's a good idea. I do think this will help people stay healthy.

by otter77 on 6/13/2012 11:41:22 PM

I think this is a stupid law. It's not going to help people eat more healthfully. If people want to drink more sugary drinks, they will just buy more than one. Besides, we live in a free country where the government has no right to control what other people consume as long as it doesn't affect others.

by supersingershannon on 6/13/2012 11:37:43 PM

Saw this on the news... What next they will control what we eat???!!

by amileofroses on 6/13/2012 10:28:29 PM

Mod mod mod!
I need an answer asap! So I got my period today and I have a swim party tomorrow that I have to go to. I really don't wanna wear a tampon yet and I don't think pads will keep me safe! What can I do????? I need help! How can I avoid the pool? Or what if I am the only one outside the pool??? And it's a girl boy party! Help!

by bubbles3956 on 6/13/2012 10:20:43 PM

That is literally the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. Abortion shouldn't be banned, because we shouldn't tell women what to do with their bodies, yet we can't drink 20 ounces of coke? People need to take responsibility for their actions. Why is alcohol not included? There are 140 calories in a 12 ounce can of coke, which is about the same as your average 12 ounce can of beer. Last time I checked, people haven't been killed from a driver who drank too much coke.

by carolinerr on 6/13/2012 10:06:04 PM

If you ban the sugary drinks, it will just make people want them more. Restaurants will lose business on these drinks because everyone will just go to a grocery store to buy them. Why not just encourage healthy eating instead of banning all sugary drinks. Cut down on the price of healthy foods and that may make people think twice before buying the high calorie beverage. I would still continue drinking soda, but the key is moderation. Telling people they can't have something will just make them want it more.

by Bridgge2010 on 6/13/2012 9:09:48 PM

Wow. Are you kidding me? Cutting down obesity should come from ENCOURAGEMENT to eat the right thing, not laws forbidding it! Chandra Pop is completely right! It will simply become socially acceptable to drink two sodas. This is America, you know, Land of the FREE? How does it physically harm others that I have a Big Gulp? It's a matter of personal choice. I'm all for making America a healthier place and lowering the obesity rate, but this isn't the way to go about it! Where I live, they wanted to make a 'sin' tax. They wanted to tax candy, chips, bottled water, and things like that. It failed miserably! There's a reason for that! If we teach our children that healthy is better, then they'll believe that. Positive encouragement. When you train a dog, it won't listen if you only beat it, yell at it, and scold it. It learns of praise and rewards. Hopefully the Health Department will veto this 'law'.

by Stargazin1 on 6/13/2012 7:59:44 PM

@pccool; i completely agree!! Why cant they worry about alcohol instead of soda. More people die due to that each year. Besides, people could just buy more then ne small soda..... It just wont help at all and only get people mad.

by LilyLookALike on 6/13/2012 7:57:23 PM

I think this will help. Health is a big issue and hopefully this will help, though its hard for me to be very simpathetic, because I don't drink Soda. I don't mean one a week, I mean one a year. I had my first soda in 4th grade. Its not like my parents didn't allow it, they drank soda but I just never asked for any.

by rainyseattlegirl on 6/13/2012 7:48:06 PM

This is so rediculous. Everyone will just go to the grocery store and buy whatever soda they want? What? That's just kind of really stupid. This will cause a huge uproar in people society. I mean you're gonna give us a fine on cuss words and now this? Where is the freedom? I don't like to drink soda as much, but this is really idiotic. Keep it as is.

How about stinking alcoholics? When are you going to put a ban on this? More people probaby die of alcohol-related things than obesity. This won't stop obesesity throught-out America. Seriously, you don't need to put a law over it! Parents should be responsible keeping thier kids healthy and on a good diet. (serving good foods) Parents: you gotta controll them from being overly obese. It is actually you, all up to you. Know how to learn how to feed your child.

by pccool on 6/13/2012 7:34:03 PM

The mayor came up with this like 2 months ago and i think that it's a step in the right direction.

by fallsb-ball on 6/13/2012 5:23:29 PM

Completely ridiculous. If people wanted to be told what to eat, they'd go to prison. Taking away freedom in the name of the common good, or "promoting" "good" behavior doesn't work. We saw this with prohibition in the 20's. While living in an alcohol-free wold sounds nice, it didn't work because people weren't willing to give it up. Prohibition gave rise to organized crime, and female alcoholism, but everyone said they agreed with it to appear good.
NYC did the same thing with cigarettes. They're taxed so highly that most people buy smuggled cigarettes in NYC. this means more crime, all because they tried to deter people form their vices.
If people want to harm themselves, no one has any business interfering with that. Of course, it's entirely different case when the bad actions is an active threat to the private public, but this is soft drinks. Soda size is a personal choice. Creating needless barriers to what people want is expansionism and bureaucracy run amok.

by Chandra Pop on 6/13/2012 5:12:01 PM

I don't think this will exactly help because people could still drink multiple sodas which could be the same amount or more the amount than a 16 oz soda.(:

by queenra on 6/13/2012 5:03:48 PM

If NYC wants to cut down on calories, put taxes on all of the unhealthy food such as fast food (Have ya seen all of the McD's in NYC?) and portion sizes could be cut down as well. Parents should also be the ones to monitor all of the extra calorie consumption.
Banning soda is also gonna cause an uproar among kids and adults. Lots of people love/like soda and if its banned, its not gonna be pretty.

Just sayin

by dekoanime on 6/13/2012 4:45:45 PM

Thats so stupid. I buy the large sodas when I go places, and I am no where near obese, Im actually very light and skinny. Say I buy 20 oz usually, and you put a ban on them. If I buy 16 oz and want another, ill be intaking 32 oz instead of 20 oz! Instead of cutting drinks, try cutting sweets. I have NEVER met someone who gained nearly as much of weight from soda as from sweets and no exercise. My school has two vending machines: one with water only and one with cookies and chips and all this unhealthy stuff. THATS what needs to be changed, along with the physical ediucation programs in schools.

by sinkinginblack on 6/13/2012 4:11:23 PM

so you have a ton of junk lying around your house and nothing to do with it. Plus you want some new jewelry without spending a ton. What do you do? Join my club and find out how to turn ordinary stuff around your house into funky and creative stuff! The club is called DIY Green!

by kpianoplayer on 6/13/2012 3:43:53 PM

It is true that soda's in moderation are OKAY, but why drink them at all when there are so many healthier and tastier options out there. The goverment isn't putting a limit on anyones freedom with this, they are preventing kids from abusing their freedom. I say, "good work, NYC mayor!"

by ceahorse on 6/13/2012 2:26:58 PM

i think it's good. we should be more healthy cause soo many people are getting obese and sick cause of unhealthy stuff! they can still drink it anyway, just not too much. which is good.

by sarabieber1799 on 6/13/2012 2:25:08 PM

You could just buy two medium soda =_="

by iluvmusic♥ on 6/13/2012 2:15:22 PM

Great job, NYC!!! If anything, they'll trying to make people be healthy. Carrie R.

by Sarah510 on 6/13/2012 2:04:29 PM

yeah... I know this is kind of a no-brainer and that people have said it before, but really??!
Doesn't the mayor of NYC have anything better to do? Does BANNING something bought everyday that is fine in moderation sound American to you?
What IS the government for?
THIS?

by spencer9800 on 6/13/2012 1:54:16 PM

What is this even? This seems bizarrely specific and limiting. Having more healthy options is one thing, but this is just kind of hilarious.

by peaches and raspberries on 6/13/2012 1:30:10 PM

come see my club at EverythingGirl.Club !

by sharie7 on 6/13/2012 1:26:05 PM

the government needs to stop trying to control our lives if i want to buy sugary drinks i should have that choice. no one should be putting a limit on my freedom!

by opptop on 6/13/2012 1:17:33 PM

I think that this is a GREAT law to enact, but I know people, and like baconlvr711 said, they WILL find a way around it. And will police arrest people for drinking unhealthy stuff? Carrie R.

by Christiangal345 on 6/13/2012 1:05:11 PM

Honestly? No, there isn't any way it will work. I love the idea of encouraging good health, but I dont think this will do anything. People will find ways around it. I don't think the government should be able to control what we eat and drink anyway. Encouraging healthy eating is one thing, but controlling it is limiting freedom.

by baconlvr711 on 6/13/2012 12:55:39 PM