7 HOURS AGO It is never too soon to start thinking about fall fashion! Here are some of our favs: #GLStyle http://t.co/ur0KcH2S0v

8 HOURS AGO #Quiz: Is you friend a real friend? http://t.co/KiJFbS0la7

9 HOURS AGO Excited to be back at school? Show off your new nerdy nails that girls will die for! http://t.co/HljuRfVyHY

COMMENTS

Be a summer camp superstar

Queen of the cabin? Yeah, that’d be you!

Fitting in at camp is something really hard to do, especially if you're not with a friend. This is great advice. If you love books, are looking for a new book to read, or have a book to recommend, join my Book Recommendation Club! Thanks!Laughing

by olivia192000 on 7/6/2012 7:12:37 AM

Good Advice! Smile

by Mtoles on 6/25/2012 8:20:47 PM

this article sort of helped...im headed off to Girl Scout camp next month and i bet most of the girls in my cabin will have been going there for years. any way you mods can help? (BTW we cant bring ipods, candy, food, gum, or any electronics)
XOXOXO, loppyears12

Hey girl,

Even if they have been there for years, I'm sure they'll still be nice to you! Relax, I'm sure it will be super fun!

Meghan D.

by loppyears12 on 6/23/2012 12:44:00 AM

Wow, this article is great! And it arrived just in time too, since I'm headed to camp in a few days!!! Thanks, GL!!!! Smile

by bri017 on 6/19/2012 3:30:27 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!!
I'm super freaked out about getting my period at camp!!
We go swimming, hiking, and rockclimbing, and when I have it, it's usually super heavy!! what should i come prepared with?!

hey! bring tampons, and plenty of pads. Don't worry, I've done the summer camp thing, and it's fine Smile

Helen S.

by LauraSch1026 on 6/18/2012 5:31:23 PM

MOD! MOD!
Hi! So i'm going to camp soon, well probably. See my best friend, and a girl we're pretty close with were gonna go, but my best friend can't go anymore so it's just me and the girl i'm friends with but not super close with...
I know if I don't go i'll regret it, but I get homesick just at sleepovers...
What should I do?!
Thanks! (:

Go! I bet you wont regret it! I bet it will be tons of fun. Camping is always fun! Good luck hon. xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by dancingirly on 6/16/2012 10:15:23 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!
im going to sleepaway camp for a week this summer, and i have no idea when to shave. I've been there before about 3 or 4 years ago so i know you only get about 5 mins in the shower. How am i suppose to wash my hair, body and shave? my leg hair also grows back really quickly.

Hey girl,

I would not worry as much about shaving if your time is limited -- it's more important that you get clean! Your hair won't be too bad after just a week, so embrace the natural and shave before and after the week is over Smile

Meghan D.

by fmo877 on 6/15/2012 10:56:49 PM

Great article! I just got back from summer band camp, I could have used this article two weeks ago! I am usually very shy and socially awkward... but I tried really hard to be bubbly this year and I made some friends I will never forget! It helps to remember that people at camp don't know who you are at school; and for just a week or two, you can be as friendly and nice as you want to be!Smile

by thumperella14 on 6/15/2012 9:33:40 AM

Awww, I went to summer camp last week!

by dancethenightaway on 6/15/2012 9:21:47 AM

So this guy I used to like is a soccer referee with me. I had scheduling issues and e-mailed the director, and he changed me with the guy. I textef him to make ure he knew about it and he told me he was in utah and to mind my own business! I was just checking that he knew, and that was hard because even texting him is really akward. So is it normal for guys to be that rude or is he trying to say don't ever talk look or speak to me again. btw were going 2 different high schools anyway.

Hey babe,

That sounds kind of rude! Since you're going to different high schools anyway, I would steer clear of that dude and find a cutie who's way sweeter!
Kelly G.

by kewauneegal on 6/15/2012 8:32:03 AM

Love camp! Can't wait for itSmile I've made a bunch of new friends by being more outgoing then I usually am (trust me ladies, it works!) and I can't wait to see them again!

by DaNcInGQu33N9812 on 6/15/2012 1:05:37 AM

Mod
I live in Texas, and camp is in late July, so it's over a hundred degrees the whole week. Last year, I wore my hair in a ponytail literally the whole time. What are some cute hairstyles that would work, other than a normal pony?
Thanks so much!(:

Hey girlie,

Here are some fun variations on the ponytail for ya to try! Smile

Lauren C.

by Graciegang on 6/14/2012 11:32:52 PM

MODMOD
Lately, ive been really depressed. I do swim team, but i stink at it. I practice, but i just cant gain endurance. My rents have good intentions, but they treat me like a complete idiot and dont trust me with anything. My bff's mom recently got divorced (again) and she's really upset about it, and i can't help her. And, i used to think i was a good singer, but at the talent show i lost to a popular girl (also singing) and then people would always compare me to her, and even said to my face that i sucked compared to her.
All these things are making me really sad, and i'm just running out of things to smile about. I sometimes cry. I don't really feel comfortable talking to anybody about it. What can i do?

Hey girlie,

It's a good thing to cry! Get it all out. From your question, it's clear that you've let all these things pile up so they're overwhelming you, because you keep thinking about them all together. Of course you feel upset when you lump them all together like this! But none of these things is the end of the world. Tackle each thing one at a time. For example: sports take dedication, practice, and a lot of hard work. If you're not performing as well as you'd like, work harder! Ask your coach what you can do to train better, spend more time exercising, and set small goals so you keep yourself motivated. Same with the other situations - open up, talk to the people around you, ask for help, and improve the situation. You don't have to sit by and feel sorry for yourself. Make it better! And it would really help if you did talk to someone about the issues you're facing right now - a counselor, a family member, even a friend's parent. Someone you trust can help you sort through all these things and help take the pressure off your shoulders. Like I said, when you let them pile up they can seem like HUGE problems. But if you work through them one by one, you'll realize they're really not so bad at all <3
Lauren C.

by Whisperglow on 6/14/2012 10:56:46 PM

This year I started to hang out with a different group of friends because my other friends weren't treating me well at all. It was really nice at first, even though I only knew one of the girls really well (lets call her Katy) but then I noticed how Katy was spending a lot more time with this other girl (lets call her Bria). Katy is really starting to change because of Bria and it seems like she doesn't care about me at all. I don't know what to do about Katy moving apart and changing so much since I've known her for so long. What should I do?

Hey girl,

It's important to remember that you can't expect someone to be your friend and not have other friends too. It's possible that Bria is a bad influence and is really changing Katy, but these years are all about finding yourself and growing as a person - if Katy is exploring and figuring out who she is, that's nothing for her to feel guilty about! If you'd like to hang out more with Katy to keep your friendship strong, make an effort to plan weekend movie nights/mall trips, text once in a while, etc. That way, Katy knows that your friendship is important to you! <3 Just remember to avoid trying to control her - that's definitely not the right strategy. Instead, you should try to keep your friendship strong and embrace who she is - and all the ways you guys "click" as friends Smile
Lauren C.

by skigirl8 on 6/14/2012 9:58:02 PM

On Saturday, I'm going to my friends grad party. She is 14 and she is inviting all her friends and their older then me. My friend that's graduating says I'm really fun and weird (the good kind! Like bubbly), and last time she has her friend (only 1) and she totally ignored me. But then later we all started talking and it turned out fine. What should I do to get them to notice me without making them feel I want all the attention? Also, does this sound fine for what to wear?: some jean shorts (I'm not sure yet, white or dark wash) and a t-shirt that's redish-orangish. And. (sorry for so many questions!) we are going swimming and I want to feel toned in the stomach. I might go to the gym tomorrow, so which machines or work outs should I do to get my abs toned?
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Hey girlie,

Sounds like a great outfit! I would just be relaxed and focus on hanging out, instead of winning them over. If you act calm and laid back, they'll think you're cool. If you're trying too hard or acting awkward, that will make them feel weird too. Try sitting in a group when you get there, so you have people to have an instant convo with. If you don't know someone, introduce yourself! It's all about being casually out-going Smile As for feeling toned, you actually don't need a machine at all! Try these exercises:

Remember that results take time, though!
Lauren C.

by Gabbyw123 on 6/14/2012 7:46:04 PM

I am so depressed lately. My friends are never around. My bestfriend has pretty much deserted me. She has a boyfriend who hangs out with her a lot and I totally respect her time with him. Also she babysits, and voulunteers at a hospital and has soccer. My other two friends are moving away, leaving me with one who is kind of mean to me sometimes. I call and text my BFF all the time, but she rarley answers. This is making me really sad because I never see her. I feel abandoned and alone and sit in my house all day during the summer! I wanted to have a party with my close friends and some not so close ones, but my mom won't let me! I really want to step out and save my friend ships and start new ones, but I don't know how. Please help me!

Hey girlie,

Have you talked to your friends about this? You can't do much about the ones that are moving away, but try talking to your bestie who seems really busy with her jobs/BF. Ask her if you can plan some time each week for you both to hang out one-on-one, so you can stay in touch over the summer and have fun together. Maybe each week you can do something different - movie, picnic, mall, TV marathon, etc. As for starting new friendships, try joining a summer sport, taking a summer class, or getting a part time job. You'll meet SO many people with similar interests that way! And it'll help you work through the negative feelings that you have from your other friends moving away - it'll show you there are sooo many people out there and will make you feel way better than sitting at home alone. You might have to edit that idea you had of the "summer party," but that doesn't mean your summer can't be awesome and social!
Lauren C.

by katiez123 on 6/14/2012 7:31:38 PM

Mod!
I'm going to a week of camp soon, and every year I go I run into the same problem. We don't have a lot of time to take showers at night, so I don't have enough time to shave my legs. I shave them right before I leave for camp, but it grows back after like the first two days. How can I get a shave that will last almost the whole week? Or should I just try to shave really fast in the shower sometime during the week? Haha I don't know what to do.

Hey girlie,

Definitely shave right before you leave. Then, about 3 days in, try shaving quickly - but just the bottoms of your legs (knee to ankle). You don't have to worry about a little stubble, and you also don't have to worry about shaving your wholllleee leg. Just get the noticeable hair off and you'll be totally fine! Smile You should be able to do both in 5-6 minutes if you don't procrastinate in the shower <3
Lauren C.

by erinthemaster on 6/14/2012 6:32:29 PM

I'm subscribed to the magazine and haven't gotten the issue with Lucy Hale yet!

Hey girlie,

You should've received this issue by May 31st. Since you haven't, please contact our subscription customer service so we can get it straightened out: https://secure.girlslife.com/Contact.aspx#11 Smile
Lauren C.

by Lannen98 on 6/14/2012 5:56:39 PM

I used to go to summer camp when I was younger. The best tips I can give are to have an open mind and follow the rules.

by supersingershannon on 6/14/2012 4:32:31 PM

so you have a ton of junk lying around your house and nothing to do with it. Plus you want some new jewelry without spending a ton. What do you do? Join my club and find out how to turn ordinary stuff around your house into funky and creative stuff! The club is called DIY Green!

by kpianoplayer on 6/14/2012 4:15:48 PM

This summer I'm targeting my legs and skin. For legs, I decided to walk 30 minutes a day. What else can I do to get them toned up? For skin, my face is combination with lotsa acne. So I wash at morning and night and drink 24oz. bottle of water a day. What else can I do to get a clear and dewy face? (None-makeup related). Thanks Mod!

1. Try doing lunges and squats. You could also do mountain climbers. Check out our fitness page for more suggestions!

2. Acne creams usually have 1 of 2 ingredients: salicylic acid and Benzoyl Peroxide. Try using a face wash with  Benzoyl Peroxide to clear up your skin.

best of luck!
simone s.

by svds on 6/14/2012 4:12:08 PM

Please respond ASAP!! I have a dance this evening and I'm super worried! There's this guy who I'm kinda dating (not really. We just hang out at school and do nothing dating-like) and he's going. He asked me, but I turned him down saying I rather go with my friends. Now I'm worried he's gonna try and make a move. I want to tell him it's over, especially since we aren't even going to the same school. I'm really nice though and I hate being even close to mean and I' pretty sure breaking up with someone is considered mean. Please help ASAP!

Hey girl

Breaking up with someone is never a "mean" thing. If you don't want to be with someone, you have NO responsibility to be with him. If he tries to make a move, just tell him you love being his friend but you really just want to hang with your girls (or your date!).

best of luck