1 HOURS AGO GL's top 20 fave nail polish colors: http://t.co/pM4hyH3vhw

2 HOURS AGO ICYMI catch @ChloeGMoretz in the @IfIStay trailer here: http://t.co/wUNpUVWwTd

3 HOURS AGO Snag top notch internship advice from GL on Aug 5 at the @InternQueen party in DC! RSVP right here: http://t.co/c0d0Hs8heN

COMMENTS

4 steps to a pool-perfect period

Your bestie is dyin’ to go to the pool, but that monthly nuisance just showed up to put a damper on your swimmin’ style. You’re thinkin’ of...

Modmodmod .I'm not allowed to use a tampon but I love to swim I have never gone to the beach and haven't swam but I got my period last year so this is my first trip with my period what do I do my mom told me I'm not allowedto wear a tampon is there a pad you can like use when its wet ?

Hey girl!

Most pads aren't great when wet because they absorb water, but you can always try a panty liner or something very thin with little absorbency (if your period is light). Also talk to your mom about the situation...explain to her that you love to swim and you know she doesn't want you to use a tampon, but ask her what she will let you do to keep the period problem under control in those waves!

Catherine C.

by Love2act321 on 6/25/2012 1:14:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
What if we've NEVER worn a tampon before?? Next week I'll be getting my period for the second time ever, so naturally, I've never even thought about using a tampon. I dont want to miss out on the summer fun, but I'm barely used to wearing pads. Should I just skip the swimming? Should I learn how to use a tampon quickly? Should I avoid embarrassment by skipping my friends'
pool party...or what?? Idk what to do!!!! Plz help!!!!!

Hey girlie!

When that time of the month rolls around, there's no need to skip the pool parties! Periods are tough, but if you have the right tools you can stay in the clear, even in that bikini. Unfortunately, if you wear a pad in the pool it will absorb water and swell up...so I highly recommended using tampons. Since you haven't used these before, your best bet is to talk to a parent (preferably mom!) or other adult figure who you feel comfortable with and can help you. Once you get the gist of it's totally easy...trust me. You don't even feel it! In fact, a lot of girls actually prefer tampons because you don't feel like you're wearing a diaper all the time (like pads)! Throw in a tampon and just make sure to change it every couple of hours. If you're worried, have a girlfriend be on the lookout, literally watching your back! Good luck!!!

Catherine C.

by Parischick2 on 6/25/2012 1:07:37 PM

This was soooo helpful GL! I'm going on a long trip,so I decided to try tampons but I wasn't sure if sharks can smell the blood? Can they? Hm,but anyways,I think I have a light flow so I'd change it every 2 hours.

by iluvmusic♥ on 6/25/2012 12:45:11 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!
I'm starting my period soon and I'm really freaked. Everything in my body is just freaking out.......my face is covered in acne and my eyelids are swelling. Any remedies for that?
~Confused & Crampy

Hey girl!

That sounds pretty miserable! Make sure you're drinking lots of water and getting lots of sleep. That can help with the acne. Wash your face twice a day, too. You can take painkillers such as Motrin or Advil for your cramps or even Midol, which is specifically for menstrual cramps. I'm not sure why your eyelids are swelling, so you may want to ask your doctor about that.
Rachael A.

by funnyali123 on 6/25/2012 12:41:49 PM

My best excuses to slip off to the bathroom when I've got my period by the pool are: "I have to go to the bathroom," and "I think I left something in the bathroom...let me just check."

by otter77 on 6/25/2012 11:19:23 AM

I don't know how to use tampons *sigh*

by ninadasiy on 6/25/2012 10:33:50 AM

Mod Mod Mod!!!
I just got this Aveeno Active Natural Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser and I don't know how to use it - like, okay, I know you wet your face, but then do you apply it and keep it on for a while and rinse it off, or do you just rub iit like it's lotion or what??? There were no directions.

Hey girl!

Just wet your face, put some of the cleanser in your hand, and soap up your face like you would your body in the shower. You don't need to keep it on or do it for a long time, just make sure you cover all the areas of your face.
Rachael A.

by Sarah510 on 6/25/2012 8:20:11 AM

i honestly dont care if people know. most all my friends are guys, i only got one girl buddy. but i dont care they know really cause its not our faults. i am in high school and they might say something depending on how immuture they are. but most guys really dont even care and theyre cool about it. they know we have periods. when i was at school dance i asked my friend dane to hold tampons in his pockets for me hahahaha choose not to be embarrassed because your not the only girl on your period. its all good! if u do care to keep secret cause your friends are immuture or something, just say 'hey i'll brb i got to pee' Smile

by girlivinginclouds on 6/25/2012 2:02:51 AM

Do you really need an excuse? just say you need to go to the bathroom!

p.s. FIRST COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!